Star Wars: Enemies of the Empire - Unexpected Allies

Noir

Seeing everyone beginning to drift away and realising they probably needed some time to digest everything they had heard, he turns to Sola Be,

"If you wanted, I can think of a couple of spots that you might like."

Receiving a nod of acceptance in return he stands and gestures for her to follow. Once out of hearing range of the others, he begins.

"They're new to the concept of what a trained force user can achieve, but are taking it surprisingly well. It's certainly chilling what can be achieved by the unscrupulous with it, if one just looks at what people have achieved without. The Hutt's spring to my mind immediately."

He trails off and for a moment there is only the sound of boots on metal. Reaching their destination he turns to her.

"I wanted to thank you, again. You didn't, regardless of what you saw, need to help us. And the offer of aid in training is appreciated. Whenever you are willing to begin, let me know. I wait in anticipation. For now, though, I will leave you to rest."

He offers a slight bow, before stepping back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trip to Bel-Tokka was only a slight detour off the route to Rhada Itoa. It was a small planet, but served as something of a shipping hub for several freight companies. The space port was a small, but busy one, with each of the freight companies having their own offices, warehouses and landing pads for the huge freighters. The spaceport itself was surrounded by a small city built to offer various goods and services to the spacers. The city itself was simple and more than a little dirty with no real law enforcement, but seeing as it was more or less a legitimate spaceport and not a shadowport, and somewhat remote, people tended to just go about their business.

Sola Be spent most of the trip resting and recovering her strength, so by the time the Quasar Ray landed, she was able to walk about easily enough, though she elected to remain on the ship along with any others who chose to remain. The rest of the crew set out to their various tasks. Some of them doing some light shopping, mostly for some second hand parts and a few fresh food items suggested by Tubby to help bolster the somewhat plain food in the ship's stores, while Zaylee, Arcata and others set out to find Rota Bur.

It did not take long to find him with what Arcata knew of him, as he did operate a small import/export company. Small outfits like his rarely had their own freighters so they often relied on smaller, independent freight captains to move their goods. But due to the questionable status of much of Rota Bur's cargo, their record keeping was more lax and far more verbal. As the clerk went over some of the cargos and destinations, Zaylee's ears caught that one was heading for Rhada Itoa itself. In this case a shipment of plastcrete that the documentation had been lost for. The job was worth 2,500 credits. Not a huge sum, but considering that it was not even out of the way for the Quasar Ray, it was well worth it.

Arcata nodded a little. "It could be a good first move," she opined. "Building a relationship over time is more important than immediate gains. We can use this as a way to show him we get things done, and earn his trust for more lucrative offers."

She paused and added, "The ones that aren't on these public rolls, I mean."

The petite captain mulled the offer for a while, then shrugged and nodded. "Fair enough," Zaylee agreed. "Don't know if we'll be out this way again, but at least the cargo is going the same place we are." With the lost of cargo space to the luxury passenger berths, she'd have preferred something with a better worth-to-weight ratio than plascrete, but the destination made it palatable. An empty cargo hold was just a lost opportunity. At the very least, it would cover docking expenses and a bit more besides. She returned to Rota Bur after talking the deal over with Arcata and the others. "We'll take this one on Rota Bur. We're passing by close enough to Rhada Itoa to make the job worth our time."

Making the arrangements to get the shipment of plascrete loaded onto the Quasar Ray, Zaylee felt a sense of satisfaction. It was a small thing, but it felt good to be hauling a cargo again, the familiarity a balm to the chaos and threat in now in her life.

"Oh, I am not Rota Bur. I am just his shipping clerk, Maje. I handle the day to day operations here, but if you do well and show you consistently deliver promptly, then I am sure you will meet him soon enough." the clerk said with a smile.

"Your cargo is in the warehouse. Bay 113. Here's the release. Pick it up any time." she said, handing over a tablet.

With the cargo skiff on the ship, it was a simple matter to pick up the cargo and secure it in the somewhat small cargo bay of the Quasar Ray. Though Frick and Frack were repair droids, they did take direction well enough and were quite strong for their size, making the task quite easy. Sola Be did what she could to help as well, doing to her best to contribute, even though she was far from an experienced cargo hauler. All in all from leaving the ship to find Rota Bur to securing the cargo a few hours passed, which was plenty of time for any of the others to do their minor shopping and return to the ship.

"Oh these should help considerably." Tubby said as the supplementary groceries were delivered by the others, causing the droid to happily go about organizing and storing them.

Spoiler

If there is anything that people wanted to go shopping for, just running it past me.

• 2 weeks later...

"So this is what it's like on the other side of Customs. Plying the spacelanes. Living by your wits. Hunting for your next cargo. Never knowing where the next shipment might take you." Tal said one his way to the bridge once the cargo was secured.

"This is neat!" he commented enthusiastically.

"It's kinda like gambling every day. Never knowing what or who you might run into or where your next credit is going to come from. Taking a chance on a risky cargo or even downright smuggling. Never knowing when Customs or pirates might show up." Tal mused as he flicked switches on his console, helping to bring to the ship to life.

"See, as Customs we were always looking for the smugglers and pirates. It was never a worry that we might be ambushed or anything, and we always had the resources of Imperial Customs and even the Imperial Navy to call upon if needed. But us. We're all alone. Just us and our wits, skill and luck. So exciting!" he said, almost gleefully.

"I would add to that list of resources, a meticulously researched plan of action," says Arcata with a tolerant smile.

"But yes, you've captured the essence of it."

"I don't think there's anything more we'll be needing from this planet...once the crew's back on board we can depart immediately."

She looked at Zaylee then. "Wouldn't you say, captain?"

Kel shook his head at Tal's bursts of enthusiasm. "Sure it seems that way at first... you're going to lose that smile before long." There was a line of course when thrill turned from exciting to nail-bitingly uncomfortable. There was as much experience and skill in in this, but if things went really wrong, you didn't really have much to fall back on.

Like what had just befallen them had the Captain, the spook and Tal not decided to bust them out.

"I don't need anything more, here," Zaylee agreed with Arcata, giving her a nod as she began flipping switches and toggles, preparing for their departure. "Let's say bye to Bel-Tokka."

She commed flight control to clear their departure from the station and then got them into the Black and onto the hyperlane to Rhada Itoa. Only then did the small woman kick up her feet to prop them on a control, crossed them at the ankles and address Tal with a wry smirk.

"Smart captains know exactly where their next shipment is going to take them," Zaylee commented. "They ply the same trade-routes, so know where the dangers and pirates are, and when to expect custom agents." She dipped her head toward Tal and Mar. "For the most part, admittedly. Gambling can pay off in the short run, if you're lucky. But in the long run?" She grinned broadly. "Boring is the surer way to profit." After a moment though, her smile faded. "Unfortunately, circumstance is forcing our course. So wits, skill, and luck will have to carry us through."

Glint took a deep breath, letting it out steadily as he went through the form of the Echani martial art. Emphasising agility and speed over the Mandalorians sturdier, slower style.

He sometimes wished that he had learned the Mandalorian Art. The Echani traditional style forewent all but the lightest of armours in order to allow greater freedom of movement, and sometimes it was nice to have an inch of Composite armour between you and whetever was trying to kill you.

A small clink by the door caught his attention as Sola-Be entered the hold. He knew she was capable of moving without sound if she so desired, so the noise of her approach was purely to catch his attention and not take him completely by surprise. He nodded a greeting to her, a comfortable silence settling in as she sat and meditated and he continued his kata.

Minutes pass, the only sound in the hold the rustle of moving fabric and his own elevated breathing. His thoughts drifted on to Sola Be and the lightsaber currently residing in his satchel, sitting on one of the crates. She had allowed it to remain in their posession after her treatment with little fuss. If she wanted it back, she could have easily taken it. There was likely little any of them could have done to stop her.

He winds down his Kata, settling himself against one of the crates, idly playing with the satchel. Whether he should give it back to her or not. Much as he was tempted to throw caution to the wind and just hand it over, it would probably be better if he brought it up with the others. Rather than them coming home to a newly armed guest/prisoner/whatever. Arcata would likely shoot him on principle. His head thunks back against the crate, eyes closed as he enjoys the quiet.

Tal frowned as Mar stepped onto the bridge. He walked over to the young ensign and placed a hand on the headrest of Tal's seat.

"Why don't you go check the load and make sure it all looks good in case we do have a run-in with Customs. And double check it's securing. We do not want it shifting if we have to evade pirates." Mar said to Tal, who's face brightened up somewhat.

"Yes, sir." he said, rising from his seat and disappearing down the corridor.

Mar plopped down into Tal's vacated seat with a sigh. He was glad to be off his feet once again.

"Jump is plotted and ready." Mar said as the blue sky gave way to black.

"We got a fair bit o' luck finding a cargo that's on our way. Should be an easy run and it'll provide us some legitimate cover. Once we are planetiside again though, it will take some time to make full repairs. Once that is done, we can breathe a little easier if we have an Imperial run-in." 

"You inner conflict is not necessary." Sole Be said to Glint as she sat there and slowly opened her eyes to look at the Echani male.

"If, or when, my lightsaber is returned to me is of little consequence and certainly not an issue worthy of much thought or inner conflict." she said as the corners of her mouth curled in the faintest of smiles.

"If it is that much of a concern to you, then speak with the others about it. There is not need to keep troubling yourself about it." she suggested.

"I will have you know though, that if it is returned to me, I will seek to make use of this ship's machine shop and strengthen the containment field on the blade, thereby converting it into a training saber to assist in your training." the slender alien calmly explained.

Cracking one eye open from where his head was resting against a crate, he lets out a little nomcommital 'hmmm' before the silver Iris is hidden once more.

"Just doesn't strike me as right, is all. I mean, even ignoring the fact that you helped us out. If you really wanted to take it back, it's not like we would be able to do much to stop you. Even with your handicap."

He takes out the saber, letting the light catch the gold detailing on the otherwise copper tube, the leather of the grip comfortably worn. It was a pretty enough looking thing, in an understated way.

"Sod it. You could have spaced us at any stage, saber or no. Arcata'll probably have kittens, but she'll get over it eventually." he shrugs, before tossing the seated alien her weapon. "Just..... I dunno. Don't make me regret it or something, please."

Blue skies gave way to the black starfield of space, which then to yielded to the strange light show of hyperspace.

"This is not an extremely well-traveled route, so I did the best I could." Mar said as he swiveled his seat around and stretched his arms.

"Rhada Itoa.is far enough out of the way to offer some security as we make repairs. With a ship as heavily modified as this, even with it fully repaired these systems will be more prone to breakdown and damage since things are shoehorned in and forced to fit together. So just a suggestion, but everybody unfamiliar with starship repair should always help out and start paying close attention while the do. It wouldn't hurt for everybody to have at least rudiments of repair down. Just a thought." Mar commented as he rose from his seat.

"Now I am heading to the galley." he added with a chuckle and headed down the corridor. 

In the hold...

"That may be true. But unless given grave reason to take it back by force, I would not. I am still, for the most part, a stranger to you all, and trust takes time to build." Sole Be said as she rose, walked to Glint and rested a hand on his shoulder.

"If it is returned to me or not is of little concern to me. In the end, it is just an object. A possession. Granted, a very special possession that I have a unique bond too, but it is still something that if lost can be replaced, even if it is with some difficulty. But if returning this to me is that much of a concern to you, then perhaps you should go speak with the others about it rather than doing something brash that the others may object to without consulting." she said as she placed her other hand over Glint's and closed his fingers around the lightsaber that he was offering back to her.

Sola Be was calm and soothing, almost motherly in a strange way.

• 2 months later...

Glint let out a small huff of laughter.

"You're going to make it extremely difficulty to act impetuously, aren't you?" He smiled to take any sting out of his words. "You're probably right. Still doesn't sit right, but I'll get the others together and put it past them. Will probably save us a lot of interpersonal issues in the long run." He inclines his head in respect before stepping back as Sola-Be folds her hands in front of her once more.

"I'll leave you to your meditations for the moment and go find the others." He turns to leave the Cargo hold, searching out the rest of the crew and asking them to meet him in the Cafateria.

Once they were all there or were otherwise listening in, he pauses for a moment, gathering his thoughts, before reaching into the satchel and placing the sabre on the table. "I've been trying to figure out how to phrase this in my head, but then figured that dissembling really isn't on my list of skills, so I'm going to be straightforward. I want to give Sola Be her lightsaber back." He allows a couple of seconds for people to digest his request before continuing. "I recognise she's not been around for long, but I've been chatting with her the last while. Much as we still don't know all that much about her, I don't think she's got any ill intent towards us." He coughs in embarassment, going red, an alarming shade given his usual almost monochrome looks. "In the interest of being entirely honest and forthcoming, I did actually try to give her the Lightsaber back already. She... I wont say chided, because that's not what it was, but she did lay it out for me. Suggested I talk to the rest of you first. She was right of course and I'm somewhat ashamed of that. I just. This whole thing," he gestures at the lighsabre "doesn't sit well with me. So I wanted to get your thoughts."

He sits back, giving the others a moment to think.

"Sounds like a Jedi to me." Mar said with a smile.

"I have no problem with giving it back. If she were not in such a sate after saving the ship, then I doubt it would have been taken in the first place, as the Jedi tend to forget they carry them. In my experience, most seem to not even consider them weapons." he shrugged

"Uh.. what he said." Tal added, motioning to Mar.

Arcata's jaw clenched a little, but she willed it to relax. She used most of the duration of Glint's speech to think things through to herself.

When Mar was done, she said, "I'm not especially fond of any of our passengers retaining their armaments while on board, frankly. I think a policy of storing such items in a locker would be wise."

"But the alien has shown she possesses a power that dwarfs anything a relic 'blaster sword' could do. If she chose to become hostile, I doubt her having it would make a significant difference in the same way that giving a rampaging Rancor a knife to hold wouldn't."

"So if it's that important to you, give her the toy."

It might be wise to rig the passenger cabins with explosives, she mused. Or some kind of gas dispenser. Just in case. Something to consider for later, but she sensed the suggestion would be counterproductive at the moment.

"With respect, Arcata. I mean, technically speaking, I am one of your passengers, given you picked me up after your break out. Even if I am now a part of the crew. Given our relative position as fugitives of the Empire, I'd rather not have to scramble to a locker to get my blaster when the Empire comes knocking. Hell, I'd rather have it on hand if anyone comes calling. But then, I'm far more used to someone trying to knife me in my sleep than you may be." He shakes his head. "I recognise that you may be uncomfortable with the idea of her having it back, and you are right in the sense that we probably couldn't stop her if she wanted it back. But the fact she can, and even though I offered it to her and she made me take it back is enough of a vouching of her character. There's no purpose to her betraying us as it stands, not when she could overcome us so easily. She doesn't stand to profit from it at all" there was no real point in arguing further for trusting her. He just had to hope that she would eventually come to recognise that the Jedi didn't particularly care to see the Galaxy in flames.

"Your status, or lack therof, is entirely at the disposition of the Captain," Arcata replied primly. "And as she seems to afford you the recognition one would normally reserve for crew, that's the final word on that for now. As for the weapon...as I said, I have no immediate objections to allowing her to have it back, given that it represents what appears to be the smallest fraction of her threat potential."

"I make no judgement on her character in this, bear in mind. I would consider any creature with that sort of power to be a potential threat, regardless of their disposition."

Zaylee gave Mar a surreptitiously doubtful look when he commented about many Jedi not considering their lightsabers as weapons. It was designed in the form of the most efficient melee weapon known to man or alien - the sword - and the extreme power of the plasma blade made maiming and death a regular occurrence. If they had truly meant more for defense than offense, Zaylee couldn't see why they hadn't designed it more in the shape of a shield or the like.

"Uh-huh," Zaylee muttered skeptically. She let Glint and Arcata voice their opinions and concerns before making her own determination. "Passengers pay, so for now, they are crew. And our crew is small enough that we can't afford dedicated security personnel. Like Glint, I'd prefer we have our weapons near at hand, in case of an emergency or trouble catching up with us, so I too have no objection of Sola Be recovering her plasma-blade."

The small captain looked over her shoulder and nodded at Arcata. "But I assure you, Arcata, your aren't the only who has considered her potential to be a threat if she chose to be."

Sola Be had picked up the whole damned ship with the Force. Zaylee couldn't see why she wouldn't be able to shove them into an expected gravity and tear the ship to pieces if she had a mind to. They just had to hope that the Jedi code of conduct would hold. It was a vaguely galling admission.

"Well, I guess that's that then." Mar said and took a long drink from his mug.

"Good luck with your training." he offered, lifting his mug toward Glint with a nod. 

"I can scarcely imagine how lucky you are to have somebody to actually train you in this day and age." he added.

• 4 weeks later...

The dazzling lights of hyperspace shifted to long, bright lines which then snapped to individual points of light peppering the blackness of space. The curvy, bulbous Mon Calamari Scout streaked toward the green and blue planet below, piercing through the thick cloud cover to give a view of the surface. It was a landscape of mountains and enormous valleys, all carpeted with lush green forests and a multitude of rivers and streams all nourished by frequent rain and a near constant drizzle.

Rhada Itoa...

large.584a947ab8941_RhadaItoaPlanet.jpg.

Zaylee followed the landing beacon toward the spacepoort which sat on the coast of an ocean, near the mouth of a great river. The structures were almost either made of duracrete and/or stone with thick walls and roofs, mostly covered in moss or vegetation, which made the spaceport look more like a cluster of fortified bunkers than a city. Mixed in among them was a smattering of ramshackle, mostly wooden structures and tents of various sizes and colors. In most of the city poles could be seen suspending simple lines for the transmission of power and possibly communications while mostly people on foot, in wheeled or tracked ground vehicles or walkers of various sizes moved through the streets.

large.584a93711984f_RhadaItoa.jpg.f529dc

Glint pointed one of the landing facilities on the edge of the port.

"There. That's the place I remember. They don't ask questions as long as your credits are good, and they certainly have no love for the Empire. We should be safe enough there to make repairs." he explained.

Zaylee nodded and guided the ship in, selecting one of the empty docking bays and setting the ship down, passing through the hydro-static force field covering the top of each bay, which kept the rain out as well as stripped any excess water off the the exterior of anything passing through it, making it instantly dry.

"Their looped message says that one we pay in the lobby, the pumps and what not will be turned on." Tal added.

A few minutes later several of the crew had assembled. including Sola Be, who was wrapped and concealed in her full garb. She had a fondness for moisture and humidity, and being able to step outside would allow her to stretch to her full height once again.

"Looks like this place is outfitted with most of the bigger equipment we need to make repairs too. It ought to do nicely." Mar commented as he looked around, stepping down the landing ramp into the bay with the rest of the party.

They exited the bay into a large, circular hall and went searching for the lobby.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

"Hey! Check it out!" Brant exclaimed, his voice a mixture of amusement and surprise. pointing to another ship that was landing at the same facility.

"Another one of those Mon Cal Scouts. I don't even see them once in a year, and here's the second in under a month. Make a wish." He grinned as he searched for an empty landing bay.

"Hrrur?"  Gra commented.

"Yeah.. You're right. That one's had the hell beat out of it too. Different ship though. The Typhoon Star. Huh." Brant mused.

Brant guided the ship into an empty landing bay, landing the ship with a skilled nimbleness.

"Bust out the rain gear." the Corellian sighed

"Rruar." Gra responded.

"Oh no. That means you too. I love ya, man, but it take forever for you to dry out and smell of wet wookie is not what I would call refreshing." Brant said to Gra as he opened a locker and shoved a poncho into the wookie's chest before they exited the ship.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

The facility was a large, round building with a large, circular hall running along the outer edge, with doors leading to each landing bay toward the center of the structure. For security, the only exit from the building was a large lobby where they took payment as well as arranged any additional repairs. It was managed by several Mon Calamari and a couple of dozen droids to assist in repairs, maintenance, cleaning and security.

Zaylee's party reached the lobby and were greeted by a friendly, if somewhat gruff Mon Calamari.

"I'm Umik and I run this facility. Fees are charged by day with fuel extra. Unlimited in/out privileges. If you need any assistance with repairs, I can assess the job and quote you a price. My staff, droids and I are the best you''l find in this sector." he 'greeted' in the usual, somewhat gruff Mon Cal way with a speech he had obviously recited several thousand times.

Umik

large.MonCalMech.jpg.9252c809e621ca51d4d

As Umik gave his speech, Brant, Gra and Kayda rounded the hall into the lobby, catching the tail end of it, surprised to find Zaylee, Mar and others standing in the lobby before them.

Spoiler

Zayle, Sola Be, Mar and anybody else who wants to be with them is in the lobby when Kayda, Brant and Gra arrive.

Everybody is back together again!

Feel free to post.

Kayda sat in her cabin as the starship made it's planetfall.she had packed her scant belongings and was preparing to leave for good. She now counted Brant and Gra as friends but at the same time she knew that to ask them to commit to helping her in what she was considering could very well cost them their lives. She couldn't do that, thye had done enough. Taken her to the place were she had discovered a great evil an evil she had to find a way to defeat.

But how?

This challenge needed a jedi not an overaged padawan. If Brant and Gra hadn't of intervened she would be dead or worse locked in that contraption feeding the evil with her very life. No somehow she needed to finish her training that or find a real jedi still living.

After the ship settled she joined the pilot and Wookie as they disembarked. Gra gave her a bit of a look when he saw her bag over her shoulder but said nothing, Brandt didn't seem to notice. She hadn't told them she was leaving, not wishing to have a long conversation or argument she had decided to tell them once they were finished settling with the landing facility and were out in the city.

They came around the corner and when her two companions came to a sudden stop Kayda also stopped at first she was expecting danger.

But as she looked at the group of beings a few meters away her face broke into a huge grin which surprised even her.

“Zaylee! Mar!”

Zaylee was looking at a monitor, looking at the prices for Umik's various services and machinery rentals. She was sure she could do all the repairs herself (and with Frick and Frack), but they would go faster taking advantage of Umik's services. It would also cut much more heavily into their slush fund. She'd rather spend the credits on better or customized components for the upgraded systems.

Hearing shouts, Zaylee didn't think anything of them at first, continuing her questions with Umik. There were always shouts and whatnot at the space docks. But when she head fast footsteps coming her way and smelled a waft of wet wookie and glanced over. There was way too much wet and green on Rhada Itoa. Her large eyes went wide in surprise at who she saw.

"Kayda?" Zaylee's smile wasn't as large at the Jedi padawan's, still shocked at finding her here on Rhada Itoa. "What - How by the blackest of black holes are you here?"

Arcata followed a few steps behind the captain and Mar, and her gaze swept around at the cries of greeting.

So much for this destination being unpredictable.

But no, perhaps it wasn't that. Kayda had many of the same motivations that Zaylee's crew did after all. Her being here could be something like convergent evolution...though it would still be a hell of a coincidence. Best not to decide what was going on before the facts were known.

She did look warily around though, in case this was bait for a trap.

Glint trailed along beside Sola Be, enjoying the cool breeze. Much as he liked the Ship, it was still nice to have more options than just the same corridors again and again. He perks up at the call, almost dismissing it as just one of those one in a million chances of running into someone you knew in the Black. Zaylee's response was nearly enough for him to miss a step, quickly whipping around to see Kayda. Well damn. Talk about the perfect example of the force nudging things just so.

"Hot damn, though. What are the odds? It's good to see you again, Kayda."

Seeing the vaguely curious look Sola Be was directing at the newcomer, he pitches his voice low to avoid being overheard.

"She's the friend who split off from us when we picked you up."

The meaningful glance he gave her should be enough for her to put things together.

Kayda gave Glint a little bow and nodded greetings to Arcata, “it is indeed wonderful to see all of you again.”

She studies the tall being Standing with her friends.

Kayda had noticed the tall, thin being of some unknown species, but had thought her just to be in line waiting for her turn with the official, now she realizes the stranger is with them when Glint surreptitiously whispers to her

“I am Kayda Vayawn. I am pleased to meet a friend of my friends,” Kayda bows as she introduces herself to Sola Be.

"Good to see you, Kayda. I hope you found whatever you were looking for." mar greeted Kayda with a genuine smile underneath is bushy mustache.

"Oh hey! Yeah. I ought to introduce you two." Brant said, peeling his gaze away from Zaylee for a moment to look to Kayda and Sola Be.

"This is Sola Be. She's.. uhh.. I think you two might have some things to talk about, like those studies you were forced to drop years back. Sola Be finished her studies, just like my great aunt did." Brant explained as he flipped the large credit coin to Kayda, that he had shown her on their trip to the Tarnoss System.

"Hey Sola Be. How ya doin'? I sent word. When you didn't show, I just figured you decided that your, uh, teaching days were behind you. Glad to see you though. I hope all's well." Brant said as he patted Sola Be on her upper arm and stepped past her toward the rest of the other party.

Brant swaggered up to Zaylee, flashing that roguish grin. 

"Hey there, beautiful. You know, out of all the ports in this big ol' galaxy, we still manage to bump into each other. Looks like fate, or the Force, trying to bring us together. So why don't we stop trying to fight it and you let me buy you a drink or two?" Brant offered, while over his shoulder Gra rolled his eyes.

Sola Be nodded to Kayda and turned her gaze to the wookie who stepped closed and gave her a hug.

"It is good to see you Grachurka. I trust you are keeping Brant out of trouble?" the tall, lithe alien asked from behind her veil, in her measured, soothing voice.

"Rrruahur." Gra replied with a shrug.

"Yes. I suppose there is only so much one can do." she said, her large, eyes flashing a hint of amusement.

Sola Be then looked back to Kayda and nodded once more and gestured off to the side with a long arm, stepping aside with Kayda.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Kayda Vayawn. Brant did indeed send word to me. He intended for us to meet at the trading outpost, but I ran late and missed you. Though is so doing, I was fortunate enough to meet another who had abruptly ended their studies as well." she explained.

"I have.. instructed.. several in my time. And since... qualified instructors... are now a rarity, and I value Brant's judgement of people, I extend a belated offer of instruction to you, so that you may finish what you have started, if you so desire." the tall, slender alien offered.

"The reunion is wonderful. Truly heart warming stuff. But there is still the matter of your fees." Umik said, his voice certainly not lacking in sarcasm.

"Huh? Oh! They're with us. We'll take care of their fees." Brant said with a nod to Umik.

His large eyes blinked once or twice and then the Mon Calimari nodded. "Gotcha."

Arcata watches the tableau with mixed feelings. The alien would be in a position of power and authority over these 'students,' free to lace her instruction with anti-Empire propaganda. That said, having more individuals with these strange powers could enhance their odds of evading pursuit. What Arcata needed to do was win some hearts and minds. They needed to understand that the Empire was not endless legions of faceless Stormtroopers, or sinister adepts seething with dark power. It was men and women, banding together to support and protect one another in a hostile Galaxy. It was a shared vision of common good.

She needed to be involved in this training, in this education. Provide a counterpoint. Show them that the good in the Empire was worth fighting for, worth protecting.

This wasn't her specialty though. What was the best way to proceed?

Arcata went over to where Sola Be and the fledgeling Jedi were gathered and said, "Is there a way I can help you? I'm afraid I know little of your faith, and claim no supernatural abilities...but surely there are more mundane ways to assist in this?"

Sola Be looked at Arcata for a moment with her lager eyes. Being an alien, and with unusual features by human standards, Sola Be was a tough read for Arcata until she got to know the alien better.

"Of course. Any of you are welcomed to sit in on lessons and learn. Knowledge is the light that illuminates that banishes the darkness of ignorance." the tall alien replied.

"There have always been others that aided in instruction, and any assistance you offer is welcomed and appreciated." Sola Be added as she placed a hand on Arcata's shoulder for a moment and nodded to her with her usual slow blink of her eyes.

As the others talked Gra kept an eye on Brant casually as he sweet talked Zaylee, but he stayed ever vigilant, watching Arcata, Mar and Glint, as well as Umik, the door and hallways.

Zaylee arched a brow, glancing at Umik then at Brant, a small smirk curving her lips. "Oh, you'll cover our fees, will you?" the petite captain mused playfully, her grin widening, teal eyes bright. You might come to regret that offer, the Quasar still needs a fair bit of repairs... "If that's the case, Brant, who am I to fight Fate and deny you the chance to buy me a drink or two? You do have a kind of dirty charm that a certain sort of women could find attractive."

Zaylee's light chuckle didn't indicate whether she was said sort of woman that did, but was willing to give Brant a chance anyway. She was feeling quite good at the moment. The voyage to Rhada Itoa had gone smoothly, mostly, and she had a cargo to offload for a profit. Brant's offer - or his backers' at least - would let them keep a good padding in the ship's slush fund.

And while it was a surprise to find Brant and Kayda here, Zaylee was equally surprised to find out she was glad of it. It was a pair - okay, a Trio, counting the Wookie - of faces she was familiar with who she could be reasonably assured weren't in the pocket of the Empire and trying to hunt them down for the Inquisitor. She wasn't sure she'd call them friends, not yet, but space was too big to keep everyone regulated to just strangers and acquaintances.

Zaylee nodded at Kayda where she was gathered with Sola Be, Glint, and Arcata. "Despite how things turned out, it isn't a regret to see you again either, Kayda," Zaylee admitted, smiling wryly, and it wasn't even grudging. She turned back to Brant, tapping a datapad against her thigh. "I have a comm-call to make about a delivery, but it can wait a little bit. You seem more familiar with Rhada Itoa than I am, Brant." Her eyes cut back towards Umik for an instant, a slight, questioning tilt to her head. "Know a place here where a woman can get a decent drink?"

The world swam as conflicting thoughts raced through her head. A Jedi? And Brant had know.

Had he mentioned it, Kayda couldn't be sure couldn't remember she had been so full of her own purpose and , with a glance at Zaylee, Mar, and Glint, her guilt.

Truly the Force guides even when we do not know.

"Your a Jedi," it was a statement not a question, Kayda continued, "then the Force has brought us together. There is much we must talk of and much I need to learn still. But perhaps a more private setting would be better for that. I accept your offer Sola Be."

Even with his very fish-like face, Umik's grins was obvious.

"Ha! She asked me." the mon cal teased, swatting Brant's shoulder with the back of his hand, prompting a chuckle from Gra.

"Yeah? Well, she said I'm charming." Brant retorted with a smug look as she straightened his jacket.

"Huurrahr." Gra responded, the amusement was obvious in the wookie's voice.

"Oh what do you know." Brant said dismissively to the wookie.

"Yeah. There's a place right around the co..." Umik said before being cut off by Brant.

"I know of a place right around the corner. You'll like it." Brant said to Zaylee with a smile, placing himself between Umik and Zaylee.

Sola Be's gaze shifted back to Kayda as she spoke. Her large eyes often gave the impression to others that she was staring at them, even when she was not. She then looked to Brant and back to Kayda, nodding. 

"Let us go this place with Brant and Captain Z. Answers await." she said to Kayda, Glint and Arcata, motioning to the doorway with a graceful sweep of her long arm.

Outside it was overcast with just the slightest drizzle falling from the sky. The locals seemed to think nothing of it, not oven bothering with any sort of rain gear as they went about their business. The streets varied from dirt (or mud), to gravel with the occasional paved road, usually the pain thoroughfares. Wires and cables of the power and communication grid stretched from down streets from pole to pole, or were simple secured to the outer walls of buildings in plain view, giving the place a very slapdash feeling. The walk to the cantina was short, but the lack of the ever ubiquitous repulsor craft could not go unnoticed by all. Instead ground vehicles, both wheeled and tracked, and civilian walkers seemed to dominate.

The cantina was underground, as was fairly common here, down a set of very wide steps when terminated in a set of wide open blast doors. The whole place looked like it was carved out of the ground and then coated in duracrete, with a high ceiling and many of the booths cared into the walls. It was relatively dark with lights hanging seemingly randomly, their power cords hastily fastened to the ceiling and even drooping down in some places. The smells of various spirits and smoking products lingered heavily. Judging by the look of the patrons, and it's proximity to Umik's docking facilities, it looked like a spacer's cantina where pilots, captains and crew would relax, get some drinks and/or al meal, enjoy some entertainment and find freelance work. People seemed to mind their own business and the perpetual playing of the small, three droid band added to the general noise of the place, offering a fair degree of privacy for conversations.

Gra and Mar took seats at the bar, ordering drinks, generally relaxing and enjoying the change of scenery and food options.

Brant led Zaylee to what seemed to be an empty booth. As they approached they spotted a lone, bipedal frog looking alien sitting at it. Brant reached into his pocket and flipped a coin to the little alien as she motioned over his shoulder with his head. Taking the coin and the hint, the alien slipped out of the booth and moved to the bar, allowing Zaylee and Brant to slip in. They ordered drinks from the server droid and relaxed in the booth.

"Dirty charm, eh?" Brant asked with a half grin.

"Well, there is certainly nothing 'dirty' about you, beautiful." he added, raising his glass to Zaylee.

"Except maybe a thought... from time to time." he kidded.

Sola Be, Glint, Kayda and Arcata found and empty booth and slipped in, though Sola Be selected a chair which she sat in at the open side of the booth, due to her long legs. She unwrapped her veil, fully exposing her alien features to Kayda for the first time, though she kept her head still covered. The server droid took orders and swiftly returned with drinks and then departed again.

"Please, do not be sore at Brant. I have known him and Grachurka, and their friends, for sometime. His methods may leave something to be desired from time to time, but he is a good man. He is aware of my... condition... and left it to me to decide if I wished to come forward to share what I know. I arrived at the trading post to late, in the midst of a firefight. I found you had already departed with Brant, and instead met Glint, and the rest of the crew. After swiftly extricating their ship from the sand for them, I succumbed to my condition for a time. Thankfully, their medical droid was of much assistance and I wound up on the ship and found a different pupil than the one Brant had intended. Now, thanks to the will of The Force, we have met as well, so that I may continue both your and Glint's training, and banish the misconceptions of some. spread by Imperial propaganda." Sola Be explained.

Kayda was a bit surprised when Arcata volunteered to join in the training sessions and a bit suspicious as well. the former Imperial agent had kept her distance during the time Kayda had been with others and she had considered Arcata skeptical at the very least. Kayda wondered what had changed her mind.

Now she found her self in a cantina, sitting with the alein Jedi, her almost student Glint, and the aforementioned Arcata.

18 hours ago, Noir said:

"Please, do not be sore at Brant. I have known him and Grachurka, and their friends, for sometime. His methods may leave something to be desired from time to time, but he is a good man. He is aware of my... condition... and left it to me to decide if I wished to come forward to share what I know. I arrived at the trading post to late, in the midst of a firefight. I found you had already departed with Brant, and instead met Glint, and the rest of the crew. After swiftly extricating their ship from the sand for them, I succumbed to my condition for a time. Thankfully, their medical droid was of much assistance and I wound up on the ship and found a different pupil than the one Brant had intended. Now, thanks to the will of The Force, we have met as well, so that I may continue both your and Glint's training, and banish the misconceptions of some. spread by Imperial propaganda." Sola Be explained.

Kayda shook her head as she swirled her multi colored drink in it bulb, "I don't blame Brant for anything. In fact I owe him and Gra my life, with out them I would be dead," she sighs, "or worse."

She leans close into the table motioning the others to do the same.

"So much has happened in such a short time, I had forgotten that Brant had mentioned you when we began our journey. But that was pushed from my mind when we arrived at Tarnoss. You see I had felt a call through tthe Force..."

Kayda spends the next minutes telling an abbreviated version of the story of what they found on Tarnoss and the events up to their escape.

"...so you see without them I would not be here. And with my death or capture we would not know about Darth Abhora and those she has trapped there."

Spoiler

Details of the story can be read here,  Kayda tells the story starting at their arrival at Tarnoss , ending when they ran into the others here

Glint sat back, drumming his fingers on the table, the tac-tac-tac of his nails lost in the sound general hubub of the room. That was certainly a lot to digest, and worrying on a few different levels.

"Well, I'm glad you got out, at any rate. Need to buy the Wookie a drink or something. Sithspit, though. You're telling me that even if someone, somehow manages to kill Vader he's not gonna stay gone?"

He shakes his head. That was not good news, no matter which way you cut it. A lot of folks weren't particularly fond of the man for a variety of reasons. Glint would be the first to admit that he disliked the man. He knew it wasn't particularly Jedi like to hold grudges like that, but he found it hard not to feel a deep seated loathing for the Sith. He tried not to think on it too much. There wasn't much he could do one way or another about it, anyway. Letting out a long breath through his nose he continues.

"And we can be certain the Empire is at least tangentially aware of the place, if the supplies there are any clue. The question becomes how much support this revival thing gets and what we might be able to do about it. Cause right now, I don't see us being capable of stopping it. Not without some serious work."

Of course, the thought that they wouldn't do anything about it never occurred to him. If Kayda's master was involved, odds were good that she'd be interfering again somehow, and he stuck by his friends where he could.

"I mean, last time, she was toying with you. She obviously intended that you weren't going to escape, but now you're the one that got away. She won't be making the same mistakes twice. Odds are good she's just going to try and straight up murder you instead of playing around next time. Let's do our best to avoid giving her the satisfaction, hmm?"

Zaylee clinked her glass with Brant's, returning his grin with a coy one of her own. "Well... A little dirt and grime was necessarily a bad thing," she replied playfully. She took a sip of her brightly coloured cocktail, then added, "like after rebuilding a hyperdrive or cleaning out the enviro-filter." She smirked. "I guess there might be a few other instances, too."

She giggled and took another sip of her drink. She glanced over to where Kayda, Glint, Arcata, and Sola Be were talking. It was good, even if she wasn't sure if she even liked Kayda. It had felt like part of her crew was missing with her gone. She had been there, at the start, when the direction of their lives had irrevocably changed. It seemed only ... fitting that they'd reunite. Or maybe I'm just reading way too much into all this Force mumbo-jumbo...

She turned back to Brant and ran her fingers through her hair, trying to shake out the wet. "I gotta say, in this place, I don't think it'll only be thoughts - and maybe more than thoughts... - that'll get me a little dirty. Has Rhada Itoa never heard of repulsor craft? Maybe some duracrete paving so we don't have to tromp through dirt and gravel?" She snorted with wry derision. "This place looks like it wasn't even here a decade ago. Decent enough spaceport though, from what I can see."

Kayda  shook her head slightly, "No, while i am sure the empire know of the place I don't think they know what is there. And Abhora probably doesn't want them to know either. She wants a body.

In fact I think she cannot leave until she finishes what ever she is doing there."

She looks in earnest at Sola Be. "Have you ever heard of such a thing? I am aware of Holocrons, but I have never seen anything like this. Never imagined it."

"I don't know anything about ghosts or 'holocrons,'" Arcata said quietly, "But I can confirm that any kind of phenomena of this nature...had it been encountered by any Imperial officer or agent...would not have been sanctioned nor encouraged. Such a creature, if it was real, would pose a grave threat to the security of the Empire and its citizens, and would not be tolerated."

Brant took a swig of his drink and nodded, setting it down on the table.

"Well, the spaceport is due to Umik had his guys. The Mon Cal like the humidity of the planet, so they set up shop here. You'd be hard pressed to fin a Mon Cal with any love for the Empire, so he helps us out how he can. Generally with a safe place to dock, repairs, fuel and so on. Every contribution, not matter how tiny or grand, all adds up to fund and support the rebellion. He wishes he could do more since he cannot seem to accept just what a help he already is. I guess that's the Mon Cal for you. They might seem a little gruff at times, but when they get behind a cause, they are incredibly steadfast and devoted."

Brant looked around, and toward the stairs leading to the rain-soaked street outside for a moment.

"As for the rest of it.. Well, the planet was locked in quite a civil war for some time. It was never a paragon of technology, but the civil war led to tremendous numbers of repulsor mines being set.  Many of them were pretty crude. Old surplus from other, older conflicts elsewhere or just jury-rigged, so many of them could not remote detonated or deactivated. So many of the repulsorcraft were either destroyed or deemed too dangerous to use, so they fell out of favor, paving the way for walkers and other, more simpl to maintain ground vehicles.

This settlement here is new-ish though. A lot of the previous cities were leveled or abandoned due to damage from the war. So they made new settlements and tried to scrape together a new beginning. Old scars run deep though, so they build as they do, going underground with the thick dura-crete bunker-esque buildings. And to be fair, there are still some holdouts that try to keep fighting, but they are the minority and mostly just a nuisance at this point. So yeah, the place is pretty new, and in their mind stuff like dura-crete is better used to make thicker walls or roofs than to pave a road, but there are a few paved roads here and there though."

"So yeah, sometimes you get a bit dirty, but getting dirty can be hellofa lot of fun." he grinned.

"And one of the best things about getting dirty is getting clean again, especially with some help." he said with a wink.

Across the cantina the others sat huddled around their table, talking and sipping on drinks.

Sola Be listened to Kayda's recounting of events, her large, green eyes drifted from one person to another, gauging their reactions to the padawan's tale as she spoke it and as the others spoke about it before finally speaking herself.

"Some Imperial supplies does not mean actual Imperial involvement. Things do 'fall off the back of cargo skiffs' as the saying goes. Otherwise, there would be no need to hire pirate to patrol the system when they could assign any number of star destroyers, frigates or other vessels. Either way, the system is now patrolled and protected and this Darth Abhora and that woman will likely not underestimate you again. Even the arrogance of the Sith has limits."

The tall, lanky alien looked over her shoulder at the rest of the room and made a subtle, flicking gesture with her hand, seemingly causing the droid band to shift to a new piece of music that was a bit louder and more popular with the clientele, holding their attention quite well. She then leaned back in and took a moment to compose thoughts.

"The Sith draw strength from their passion and emotions. Among those emotions is Fear, something that they seek to draw out in others and feed off of it. But the Sith fear as well, and their greatest fear of all is that of their own death. That is why many of them have turned to cybernetics as crude means of clinging to life. Others, if they possess the knowledge to do so, spend considerable time and resources to try and prepare various means of continuing on, in some form or another, after their death. Usually it is as some form Sith Spirit or 'ghost' as many would say.

At death, the energy of all living things, some would even call souls, returns to the Force, from whence it came. Through the Force, one can see the past, the future, friends long passed. That is why the Jedi have a saying, "There is no death, only the Force." And that is how this Inquisitor hunts her prey. The future is fluid, ever changing, but she can look into it to help her make.. extremely educated guesses, shall we say.

But I digress...

Those Sith that have prepared for their death, are able to resist returning to the Force. They break the natural cycle. Though their body dies, their spirit lives on, sustained the Dark Side of the Force and their own will, often using hatred as a lens through which to focus. It is a kind of living death. They are alive in a sense, though their body has died, but they are bound to a place, or very rarely a thing. They continue on to a degree, but in a prison of their own construction. That is how dearly they fear their death. 

So be at ease, Glint. Through history few Sith have had the knowledge and resources to prepare for their death in such a way." Sola Be said to Glint, with what he was now pretty sure was a faint, reassuring smile before she continued. 

"I have heard of some sith spirits managing to posses the body of another. Perhaps that is what this Abhora seeks. Or maybe she has found some way through Sith magic to pervert the natural order of things even further in some other fashion. I must admit I have difficulty believe such things, but through the Dark Side of the Force such a thing may be possible.

I know these things from my own experiences and studies. I ran into one of these spirits, and though I defeated it, the thing managed to deal me a lasting wound, thought the Force. Not a wound to my flesh, but a would to me 'in' the Force. You see, this flesh is a just a crude vessel for us. Within the force, we are all luminous beings, radiating with the Force. All of us. This spirit wounded me in and through the Force, much like a bleeding wound that will never full heal. It nearly killed me, and would have, had Brant not saved my life. The medical attention provided to my body allowed me to focus entirely on the Force, where I managed to close the wound, so to speak. It takes part of my constant focus to keep 'the wound' closed. If I exert myself too much, physically or through the Force, it re-opens and I risk death.

I returned to the Jedi temple where even the greatest of Jedi healers were unable to assist me. So I began to look to other Force traditions, meeting with their practitioners and seeking aid. I learned much about the Force, but it was to no avail. So with this 'wound' I am unable to do much other than pass on what I know in hopes of training a new generation of Jedi that can learn from the mistakes of the past and defeat these resurgent Sith. And I indeed have much to teach."

"I've never had any problems from the Mon Calamari," Zaylee commented after Brant informed her about Umik and the spaceport, a slow smile on her lips. "Far from it. I've always been very fond of their ship design." She finished her drink and set on the back of a passing serving droid, then ordered another with some finger food as Brant told her about the state of the settlement.

"Hmm, I should see if Umik has a transport walker I can rent to make a delivery, if needed. No point in sticking out by moving about in the only repulsorlift cargo skiff."

She bantered and flirted lightly with Brant as they ate without revealing much about her background. So far, things were going well, but she didn't completely trust him yet. She'd see after she got the Quasar Ray repaired and found out how much of the bill the Rebellion covered. But trust or not, she was enjoying his company. She licked the leftover purple pseudo-mint jelly from her lip and grinned at him.

"As for getting clean after getting dirty, I won't dispute you about that." There was a gleam in her eyes. Honestly, with the humidity and rough roads of the settlement in contrast to the perfect climate control of her ship, Zaylee was already starting to feel grimy. "I may even take you up on the offer after I make arrangements to drop off our cargo..." She smirked teasingly. "Unless I get a better offer in the meantime, nerf-herder."

Kayda sets down her drink, "I must go back to Tarnoss, Abhora has to be stopped.

I know it is much to ask, but the Force led me there and the Force brought me back here to reunite us.

I need your help Sola Be," She looks at Glint and Arcata in turn, "and yours too, as well as the others.

We must find out what this Sith ghost is up to, stop her, and free those she has imprisoned."

Archived