Star Wars: Enemies of the Empire - Unexpected Allies

Noir

Back to the guns - AGAIN?! Kel didn't really want to face being shot at once more. Honestly, they couldn't keep this up if the Inquisitor was right on the ball. Bad enough that they didn't have time to get to more discreet transport. Now they had twice the TIEs, an Interdictor with gravity wells fully on, and gunnery that was decent, but decent only went so far over multiple engagements. And the asteroid field.

Zaylee's specialty was in Mon Cal starships like the one they'd just lost, and the Guardian cruiser wasn't that maneuverable.

"..you haven't made enemies of 'the Empire'; a faceless, monolithic force that is nevertheless finite and can be avoided. You have made enemies with Inquisitor Cynis."

"She is brilliant, perceptive, and known even by other Inquisitors as being utterly relentless. By now she has complete files on each of us, and is likely already organizing the search. She will not stop until each of us is in her grasp, or dead; the only way we will pass beyond her power."

Kel really hated that stuck-up ImpBureau lady. Well, if the Empire damn well wanted to throw the book at them, the Corellian would take out Cynis as preferable to the other two options. Wait. Imperial.... yes. The seed of an idea rooted itself in Kel's mind, taking form to his glee. Something much more suited to his talents...

"FUCK!" Because reality intruded itself with a problematic obstacle he'd almost overlooked. Tal and Mar realized that Kel was still on the bridge. "Please tell me you didn't leave my slicing pad behind!"

Tal shook his head. "All your things are in a crate in the cargo hold-" Before he could finish, Mar (having intuited where this was going) extended what looked like a thick metal pen to Kel, whom snatched it and rushed away. Okay... there might be a chance for them after all, he figured.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The price we pay for doing the right thing. Roki didn’t curse as he looked at the monitors evaluating their situation for a second. It wasn’t good, and after a second he bolted for the guns again. This time he went to one of the turrets; the shooting skills of his companions weren’t as good as he’d thought, so he took one of the larger arced weapons.

Settling into his seat, he grimly buckled in and waited for the TIE fighters to come into range. One more thought occurred, and he wiggled his blaster out of its holster. He couldn’t draw it very fast sitting down, so he slid it under his hip. If they took the ship, he wasn’t going to fall into their hands.

Calming his mind, he prepared for another battle.

"Seriously? Seriously?!" Zaylee exclaimed, her voice rising sharply as she stared slack-jawed at the Interdictor. Her heart had been hammering with thrilled excitement as she narrowly crested the hill planetside, but now it hammered with rising dread at the sight of the immense starship before them, scrambling TIE fighters to intercept them. She glanced over her slim shoulder to give the Jedi a sour glare. "You just had to say you had a bad feeling about this, didn't you?"

"Hang on!" The petite trader captain and mechanic said, giving Mar a sharp nod, her lips pressing together small, fierce grin that could have passed for a grimace.. She'd already lost one ship, her home, to the Imperials, she wasn't about to lose a second so soon, even if it was a piece of gungan dung. "It wasn't pretty before. Now things are gonna get bumpy."

Zaylee fought against the pull of the controls and turned the Cruiser away from the Interdictor and towards the asteroid belt, then gunned the acceleration control. She could feel the deck plating vibrate beneath her feet as the engines made an inaudible whine. The ship was sluggish at first, then began racing for the asteroid belt, making only shallow zigs and zags to avoid any stray shots from the TIE fighters - at the moment, clearing some distance between them and the capital ship was the greater concern.

Zaylee's comment about the roughness of their flight wasn't a mere warning. She was intimately aware of the precise dimensions and handling of her Mon Calamari built ship - she was not nearly so comfortable with the Imperial Cruiser. She had no doubt they'd suffer some impacts in the asteroid field. Just as long as they don't cause a hull breach...

"Kel, take the other turret," Arcata said. Her voice and face were calm; lies that covered a hammering heart and a mental shriek of frustration. How could they have gotten here so fast?! "I'll man the forward guns and see if I can't clear a bit of a path for our pilot."

There was really no time to argue, she turned heel and made for the starboard side forward guns, and set the targeting sensors to highlight any object larger than...say...a landspeeder? She thought asteroids smaller than that would probably not do much damage through the shields.

The HUD filled with orange marks, and Arcata felt her stomach sink.

That was a lot.

A thumb to the intercom brought her voice to Zaylee's ear.

"I'm going to thin things out ahead of us as best I can. Try to follow the blaster bolts. If you need to change course for more than a few seconds, let me know so I can adjust my aim."

Then there was just the bucking of blaster cannon, and the scintillating lightshow of energy crisscrossing space to blow rocky chunks into smaller, hopefully less dangerous rocky chunks.

She rather hoped the others could hold off those fighters.

Kayda watched for a moment as the ship under Zaylee's deft hand swung around and started it's run toward the Asteroid field. She hoped that being caught out like this would at least lower Cynis' interest in Finnare.

On 11/28/2015, 9:15:07, Kel Uno said:

"FUCK!" Because reality intruded itself with a problematic obstacle he'd almost overlooked. Tal and Mar realized that Kel was still on the bridge. "Please tell me you didn't leave my slicing pad behind!"

Tal shook his head. "All your things are in a crate in the cargo hold-" Before he could finish, Mar (having intuited where this was going) extended what looked like a thick metal pen to Kel, whom snatched it and rushed away. Okay... there might be a chance for them after all, he figured.

"Well I guess I better man the other turret then. May the Force be With you, Zaylee."

A gentle squeeze on the woman's shoulder and Kayda headed for the gun turret.

Kel stumbled against the wall in the hallway, as Zaylee yanked the ship in evasive maneuvers. Jarred, he bit his lip and braced himself there as he regained his balanced before stubbornly keeping forward on his path into the bowels of the cruiser. Several shakes of the ship later and Kel entered the wide open expanse of the cargo hold. After some quick looking, Kel spotted the metal exterior of the crate Tal had mentioned.

Yes, yes, sweet deliverance!

Kel practically ripped the lid off, digging in before he found the portable slicing pad that was his most valuable possession. And his most powerful weapon.

He rose up, and ran back to the bridge. Once there, he pulled into a seat while slotting the code cylinder Mar had given him into the pad.

An interesting fact about Imperial forces, they operated with their own set of official frequencies and codes. While it provided a certain degree of security against outside attempts at intrusion, this hodgepodge group - and the slicer among them, were in an Imperial vessel. One taken just two hours ago. Therefore, by definition, everything Mar was cleared for in this little metal pen-like object, Kel had at his disposal.

Kel wiped a free hand across his hair as he sent a data transmission to the Interdictor. Using the standard Imperial channels and codes, procedure would inevitably get someone on the other end to open the connection... and Kel had his window of access. In moments, he ruthlessly sliced into the overrides protecting the power regulators.

It would take a lot more time than he really had to send it out of control in a fashion that would lead to a fatal explosion, but Kel could flux the generators severely enough to force a temporary shutdown.

So he did. The Imperial security protocols attempted to respond, but Kel cut the link and yanked out the cylinder before he could get attacked back.

Outside, the Interdictor shuddered, its gravity wells shut off, many lights vanished, and the cruiser began to slowly fall towards Finnare. "Mar, Zayleeeee..." Kel giggled in a sing song fashion. "I just got us a minute. Let's get out of here - for real."

Spoiler

Using a CP to negate the wild die complication, Noir.

"Bring her around to heading one-three-five mark eight two and let's get out of here!" Mar said with a mixture of excitement and joy in his voice.

"Adjusting deflector shields, double front." Tal relayed knowing that the ship would be head right at the squadron of TIE fighters that were pursing them.

Looking ahead at the TIE fighters drawing close so rapidly Tal hid a cringe and said,

"Make the jump any time!"

Zaylee blinked, watching the Interdictor fall away behind them and the controls growing more responsive. Not what she was expecting but she'd take it. She grinned brightly, a much more natural expression for her face, and gave Kel a thumbs up over her shoulder.

"I'll be Kesseled! Great job, Kel! Shiny! Adjusting course," Zaylee warned, and the rest of the people on board braced themselves as she turned the cruiser sharply away from the asteroid belt. Then, she smoothly pulled down on the level and made the jump to hyperspace. "And we're outta here!"

Zaylee slumped back into her chair and stared unseeingly up at the ceiling, letting out a low whoop of excitement. "That was fun!"

Interdictor-Class Star Destroyer, "The Emperor's Grasp"...

The Customs Cruiser could be seeing through the viewports of the darkened bridge of The Emperor's Grasp, as it jumped into hyperspace with the laser shots from the TIE fighters passing harmlessly through the space it had just occupied.

A lone woman stood at the front of the bridge, shrouded by a maroon cape and bathed in red emergency lighting. Her hands rested on the console before her and her head hung low. The woman's hair was dark and her head was graced by a fancy headdress that was once popular with highest levels of Kuati nobles long ago. She turned her head to the side, her pale complexion appearing red in the lighting, and with eyes still closed she spoke over her shoulder,

"Oh Commander..." her voice was soft and melodic with the refined accent of Kuati nobility that tried in futility to mask her irritation.

The commander, clean cut, a middle-aged man with short cropped hair, took a step closer to the woman, though maintained his distance from her. With his hands clasped behind his back he did everything he could to hide the dread that was welling up inside him.

"Yes, M'lady?" he asked cautiously, edging closer.

"Ah. There you are. I had thought you might be half way to your shuttle by now." she said as a small snarling smile played across her dark lips.

"My.. my shuttle? Why, M'lady?" he asked with equal parts of confusion and caution as a fine layer of perspiration formed on his forehead.

"Because I told you exactly where to be and exactly when to be there and yet you still failed to capture a single ship!" she explained as she rose back up to her full height and regal bearing with her eyes snapping open to glare at the Commander with a fury burning behind them.

The red light played off of her glossy black skinsuit and metallic vambraces, while the red stone resting on the front of her headdress almost seemed to glow with her anger. Even in the dim, red lighting she was attractive, at least physically. She was a tall woman of perhaps thirty, with a figure that was only accented by the tight, glossy skinsuit. Her hair was dark and swept back while her skin was somewhat pale, but her noble breeding was clear to any who ran in such circles.   

"Knowing all of that, how did you still manage to fail, Commander?" she asked, reigning in her anger to restore her mask of regal bearing.

"It.. it appears that they used their ship's scomp uplink to the Imperial Network to talk to this ship, and they used Captain Mar's code cylinder to bypass a majority of the security so they could slice into the power regulators and... kill the power." he explained, quickly regretting his choice of words.

The red emergency lighting faded and was replaced the with the normal running lights as full power was restored.

"As you can see, it only affected us less than a minute. Barely even seconds, really." he added, trying to smooth over the situation and minimize the impact.

Her eyes narrowed and she met his gaze as if she was staring right into him before she spoke,

"Seconds long enough to permit them escape." she said in a calm tone, though her voice dripped with malice.

Slowly she raised her gloved hand and turned it back of it toward the deck as her long, delicate fingers curled into a fist. The Commander's eyes shot open and he clutched at his uniform in front of his heart like he were desperately trying to pull some phantom hand away.

"In... Inquisitor Cynis! It.. was a mistake... won't...  happen... a.. a... again...." he gasped, struggling to speak as he fell to his knees on the metal deck of the bridge.

Within his chest he could feel an icy cold, tight grip on his heart, crushing it in an invisible grasp.

"Make sure it does not, Commander. I do not suffer incompetence well..." she said in a calm, cold tone and unclenched her fist.

Immediately the Commander gasped as a wave of relief washed over him, slowly pushing the panic away.

"Thank you. Thank you, M'lady."

Inquisitor Cynis looked out the viewport and into the space beyond where the Customs Cruiser had last been, standing there in silence for a few moments as the commander rose and slipped away.

She turned and strode down the middle of the bridge toward the turbolift with her maroon cloak swaying behind her. She spoke to herself as a faint smile tugged at the corners of her dark lips,

"Now the real hunt begins..."

large.Cynis_bridge_sml.jpg.a76ab23c3692f

Meanwhile, back on the Customs Cruiser...

"That was one hell of a job you did back there Kel. I never would have thought of that." Captain Mar praised the young slicer, rising from his seat and giving him an slap on the back.

"Well, that's it, people." Mar's voice said across the intercom, "The meds are delivered, lives are saved, we had a run-in with an Interdictor and are no worse for ware and are now on our way to hopefully swap ships. I don't know about you all, but I am getting myself a drink. I'll be in the common area."

"Yeah. Nice one, Kel. And nice piloting, Zaylee." Tal commented with a smile as he gave the instruments one last look over before rising as well to head back to the common area.

Mar walked down the corridor, stopping by his quarters first to retrieve a bottle of some amber color liquid. Once in the common area he sat several small glasses on the table, poured several drinks and sat back leaving the uncorked bottle standing in the middle of the glasses as he waited for any other arrivals.

Spoiler

Kuati: Humans who hail from Kuat (Just like those from Corsucant are called Coruscanti).

Code Cylinder: Essentially a keycard. They are small devices roughly the size of a mini-flashlight and have an officer's personal ID and security clearances programmed into them.

Scomp: A type of computer port (that R2 always uses to plug into computers) which code cylinders plug into as well.

When the stars swam past him, he took a moment to feel relief.

Relief that they had avoided killing more people.

Relief that they had escaped.

Relief that he hadn’t had to use his blaster on himself to remain free of the Empire.

His personal effects were in storage, and he went down there to find them. His armor went into the crate and his street clothes came out. In the privacy of the hold, he stripped off the black undersuit and pulled on the comfortable dark pants and gray long-sleeved shirt. When he buckled his gun belt over them, it felt wrong. You’ll get used to it, he told himself sternly.

He started to return to the common area when something stopped him in his tracks. He couldn’t have said what, but he was used to these moments when he felt these odd urges. He’d also learned to listen to them. He turned down the hallway to the small brig, slowing when he saw the display. One of the cells was active or in non-Stormtrooper jargon, occupied.

He toggled his intercom. “Tal, Mar, someone’s in the brig.”

Tal replied, “Oh… yeah. I forgot about him. That was a stowaway a ship offloaded to us. I… uh… forgot to transfer him to the frigate’s hold.”

Roki sighed and entered the brig, stopping in front of the door. Toggling it open, he studied the occupant and said, “Today, you are the luckiest man alive, three times over.” Over the intercom, Tal added, “Uhh… I guess this is his lucky day then.”

Blinking owlishly from where he's sitting, leaning against the wall of his Cell, he cocks his head to the side, studying the figure in front of him.

"Is that so? Been wondering what's going on. One hell of a bumpy trip so far, given I expected to be in a Frigate holding cell.... a couple of hours ago?"

Pushing himself upright in a single fluid motion, he takes a half a step forward, before pausing.

"Ah. Suppose I should thank you for springing me and I don't mean to sound ungrateful or anything, but what has been going on? Originally figured the Frigate was under attack, but unless it was destroyed immediately, we made a jump far too early. Then I figured someone jacked the ship, but it would take a set of brass ones and a death wish to even attempt it and that's just getting aboard the Frigate in the first place....."

He shrug and gestures for Roki to lead the way to freedom.

"Say, you wouldn't happen to know where my gear is?

“My guess is your gear is in the hold.” Roki led the way back, glad he’d sealed his armor and uniform away. This was a man who knew nothing of his Imperial entanglements. “And you’re right, you should be on a frigate now . . .”

As the man dug through his stuff, the thin former-trooper told him how they’d come to this point. He took care to warn him about Arcata, too -- that spook still freaked Roki out.

When he was done with his tale, he said, “So everyone’s up in the common room, probably waiting for us. My name is Roki Fuja. What should we call you?”

Nodding along as Roki tells the story, he continues to check and make sure all of his posessions are present and accounted for. At the mention of breaking someone who claims to be a Jedi out of the Frigate, he throws a sharp glance back. Seeing the lack of levity on the former Troopers face, he settles on his haunches in front of the locker.

"A Jedi, huh? Now isn't that interesting." Some trace of bitterness seems to colour the words, before he shakes it off. "I'm gonna reach for my belt and blaster now. Would appreciate not being shot while I do it"

After getting a nod in confirmation, he proceeds to slowly pull the belt on, hand staying as far from the pistol as possible. Once it's on he visibly relaxes and listens through the rest of the story.

"Well, you've been through the wringer. Guess I was half right" he snorts "Wouldn't have believed it if I didn't live it. It's the kind of stuff you see in a cheesy holo. Still. Imperial spooks and jedi, huh? That's an interesting mix right there. Thanks for the heads up. Probably would not have reacted well to walking into that. Still not entirely convinced this isn't some elaborate Sting, but I seems like a whole lot of effort for little old me. Suppose I'll see shortly enough. As far as names go, you can call me Glint for now."

He smiles, giving a slight bow.

"A pleasure. Now, if you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate being able to thank the rest of your people. Even if it was incidental, you got me out of a bind and I owe you for it."

He gestures for Roki to lead on, falling into step beside him through the corridors. He seems completely at ease, though in deep thought as they proceed. Probably mulling over everything he had been told up till now. It was a lot to take in. Reaching the common room, his gaze flickers to every person in turn. Stalling on the Jedi, almost incredulous, eye's flicking to the belt where her saber would be holstered.

Breaking his gaze away, he addresses the room.

"Ah. I recognise that my presence here is seperate from your goals and all, but I do appreciate you letting me out, rather than leaving me where I was. I owe you one. If you want or need my help, I would be honoured to provide it where I can. This being said" his gaze settle back on the Jedi "If you wouldn't mind, Ma'am. I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask you in private when you have a moment. You might be able to shed some light onto something for me, you being a Jedi and all. For now, though. Thank you once more."

He slides into one of the remaining open seats at the table, seemingly completely at ease.

The appearance and words of this new member of their unorthodox band motivates Kayda and gives her the opportunity that circumstances had kept her from pursuing since their escape. Now though it was time to set thing straight.

"Of course I will gladly listen and enlighten if i can sir. However," She addresses Mar and the rest of the assembly now, " I am afraid you are all acting under a false assumption. There are no more Jedi. They and the Order where destroyed I by the Emperor and his servants, Darth Vader, a Sith Lord, and others like this Inquisitor. While it is true that I trained to be a Jedi, I am not and never was a Jedi Knight."

3 hours ago, Kayda Vayawn said:

" I am afraid you are all acting under a false assumption. There are no more Jedi. They and the Order where destroyed I by the Emperor and his servants, Darth Vader, a Sith Lord, and others like this Inquisitor. While it is true that I trained to be a Jedi, I am not and never was a Jedi Knight."

Mar nodded to the echani, Glint, and then listened to Kayda, after which he shook his head.

"No. I refuse to believe that. I served with Jedi in the Clone Wars. They were the bravest, most selfless and resourceful people I have ever met, running headlong into waves of oncoming battledroids without a stitch of fear and armed with nothing more than their robes and lightsaber. Yes, I am sure that many, or even most, of the Jedi are dead, but I have a hard time believing they are no more and that the light of the Jedi Order has been snuffed out in the galaxy. Likely dimmed, maybe even flickering on the edge which has allowed the darkness of this Empire to encroach, but I doubt their light is gone." he said as he took off his officer's cap and tossed it on the table.

"And the Emperor seems to think there are still Jedi out there, as evidenced by his Inquisitors. They show up and take command and control of anybody and anything in the Empire just to hunt down, capture or kill Jedi, and Cynis is not the only Inquisitor. So there must be enough Jedi remaining for the Emperor to consider them a threat. That alone should give you hope." Tal said, trying to offer some encouragement.

"We risked everything and gave up the lives we had and knew we would have bounties on our heads just to rescue you all. A Jedi, we thought, and those guilty by association. So I don't care if you were just a apprentice, initiate, learner or whatever they called their Jedi-to-be, I would still rescue you again. I am sure you can still help and hopefully finish your training on your own, because right now the galaxy needs the Jedi more than ever." Mar explained

"And you already have an Inquisitor after you, sooo... there's really nothing left to lose." Tal added with a wry smile.

"There is one step on the ladder left to descend," Arcata cuts in dryly. "And that's getting caught."

Though it burned a little, she elected not to pursue the 'jedi' matter further. The Jedi, at their height, had been singlehandedly capable of destroying the most powerful and just cosmic government the galaxy had ever seen, and plunging everything into chaos for which the only cure had been empire. It wasn't so strange that the Emperor was resolute in his vigilance to prevent the militant sect from sprouting again in some dark corner, out of sight. And if the strange powers Inquisitors possessed were any indication of what the Jedi could do...

She shook her head slightly. It was natural perhaps, that those who set themselves against the Empire would adopt the Jedi as martyrs; overlook their crimes and exalt them because they were the only thing the Emperor seemed to fear. Natural, but lamentable.

Even so, this was no Jedi. Perhaps Kayda represented an opportunity. Arcata had long wondered what specifically the Jedi Order taught, that turned them into the creatures she'd learned of. Perhaps Kayda, in her innocence, might be persuaded to reveal the tenets she knew, and a weakness could be found within? Or even better, perhaps she was still new enough that Arcata could persuade her of a better path? Someone who had even a fraction of an Inquisitor's power would be invaluable in eluding one. With proper guidance, of course.

Arcata then looked at Glint. The Echani were well known for their martial tradition and craft. But they were also a willful people, given to fits of petulance and clinging to outmoded systems of honor.

"Just to make sure the air is clear," she said to him, "Why were you imprisoned on an Imperial Customs vessel? Smuggling? Lack of proper identification or documents? Something else?"

"Heh. A fair enough point I suppose. In answer to your question, I was being transferred to a frigate, because I was caught stowing away aboard a transport to get off world. Funnily enough, the fine I would get if I was caught would probably end up being less than booking the passage itself."

He pauses, apparently in thought.

".... Given your situation, however.... that is perhaps not the entirety of the story. I have a good feeling about you, captain and as for you, Ma'am, well. If you're captured you're as screwed as we are, so no harm, I suppose. You've been accused of Treason for two, maybe three hours now? I've had that particular threat looming over me for nearly eighteen years now. See, I was there, the night the Temple burned. Would have been about seven, nearly eight when Vader showed up with the 501st. Killed pretty much everyone. Still. Thanks to some quick thinking by the masters and a few of the Padawan and Minders, some of us managed to get out. Before all of the Younglings were exterminated."

He shrugs

"We scattered to the winds. She" he nods towards Kayda "is the first person I've met in nearly two decades that has had at least some training.

His tone shifts, as he talks, becoming more sardonic.

"You'll understand if I prefer not to talk further on the subject. Watching hundreds of your classmates be cut down in front of you tends to leave a mark, and I prefer not to pick at old wounds, lest they fester."

His attention shifts to Kayda, and his tone returns to normal.

"Still, the captain is right to at least some extent. There are more of us out there. People got out of the temple, and there were hundreds of Jedi out on Republic business when order to murder them all came down. We may need to adapt to survive, but we're still out there. I wouldn't dismiss our chances just yet. After all, if an eight year old can evade the Empire for going on twenty years......"

He settles back into his chair.

As Glint and the supposed Jedi talked, Roki moved around to Kel’s side. Taking the seat next to him, he said softly, “I understand that you are the reason for our escape.”

Smiling, he pulled Kel’s glass close and filled it with some of Mar’s offered drink, then poured a glass for himself. Raising it toward Kel in a gesture of respect and acknowledgement, he downed the glass in a single gulp. “Well done, my friend.”

Kel grinned, and tipped his share of the liquid down. "Hey, when your best talent is slicing, you learn to think of how to apply it in all sorts of situations." He finished and then looked around. "And Imperial standard procedures make them predictable. But enough about my greatness. Where and how are we going to swap this thing for a more discreet ship?"

While the others headed off to the common room, Zaylee remained behind on the bridge for a while, feet up on the console, legs crossed at the ankles. She watched the stars streak by in hyperspace, reflecting on her relief that they had escaped the clutches of the Empire, but feeling a deep sense of loss as well. In the relative privacy of empty bridge, Zaylee let herself show that loss, letting the tears brim over.

She had made a vow to recover her ship and even make the Empire pay for its theft, but after the close encounter with the Interdictor-class capital, she had to admit it wouldn't be anytime soon, and it likely would be a long time indeed. If ever..., a small voice inside whispered. The Endless Odyssey was the only home she had ever known and the idea she might never see it again hurt more deeply than she could put into words.

A while later, Zaylee wiped her reddened eyes clear and composed herself. Her feet thumped on the deck and walked to the common area, the bright and animated expression Kel was more used to on her face. She arrived to catch just the ending of the conversion about the Jedi and hear Roki congratulate Kel on his inspired slicing shenanigans.

Zaylee took a seat on the other side of Kel and poured herself a drink. She took a sip and sighed at the amber liquid warmed its way down her throat then tipped towards by way of introduction. Considering how wild events had been already, she didn't even bother wondering where another member for their refugee band had come from.

"I'm Zaylee Zanne," she introduced herself to Glint, then addressed them all. "It doesn't matter if there are any Jedi left or where they are. They weren't able to stop the rise of the Empire. Complacency and greed on part of the Republic let the Emperor grasp all the power he has and it'll take more than Jedi to bring him down. What does matter is... where is your astrogate plot sending us, Mar?"

"Wait... What? You were a Jedi child too?" Tal asked, obviously caught off guard.

"That is.. well.. that sound a little too good to be true that the grifter stowaway we happen to pick up and forget about so he's left on the ship when we free another Jedi just happens to have been a Jedi in training too..." further elaborated Tal, obviously a bit skeptical.

"Well, if it's true, then it is not unheard of. I remember the Jedi talking about "the will of the Force" bringing about the most unlikely of coincidences to bring the people and things together at the right time. My guess is that she could verify if he is one or not." Mar explained to Tal and then looked to Kayda, "Though some small demonstration of your abilities might help us all."

"And you are absolutely right, Zaylee. The Jedi didn't or couldn't stop the rise of the Empire and it will take more than Jedi to set things right. It will take good people who are not afraid to take a stand against evil and oppression. I am sure that billions of beings out there know the Empire has not turned out to be what they were sold on the floor of the Senate years ago, but most think, 'What can I do? I am just one.' so they feel weak or afraid, which is understandable. But they are one of many. And the more that take a stand today will cause even more to rise up tomorrow. Just look at this Rebel Alliance, and they are not the only ones doing something either."

"I did what I could in Imperial Customs. I did my job just like I always had. I gave little freighter captains a break who were just trying to make a living and looked the other way here and there. I did what I could, but it was not enough. So when the chance to rescue a Jedi, somebody who could do more than a typical person and could be a beacon to hope, I took it, as did Tal, Roki and Arcata."

"We could all see that the Empire was not all it was cracked up to be and could not deal with it anymore, each for our own reasons. So just us, the four of us, managed to rescue a Jedi and the innocents who were guilty by association and made sure to get the meds too. And then together, the seven of us delivered the meds to save hundreds, if not thousands, of lives and then escaped an Interdictor. And frankly, when that Interdictor showed up and caught us in the gravity of the planet, I had little hope, but we still had to resist. And look at what happened. Now, we may be eight, possibly with another Jedi in training."

"And we are all wanted by the largest and most powerful government the galaxy has known, likely with bounties on our heads and an Inquisitor hunting us." Tal reminded with a smile.

"Now I am not suggesting we all run off to join the Rebel Alliance, though I would probably not be opposed to that idea either. But we can still help people and make the galaxy a better place on our own. Our impact might be small in the grand scheme of things, but I can assume that the people on Finnare are better for it. And there are likely others out there doing the same. So like Zaylee said, we keep moving, avoiding the Inquisitor, and probably bounty hunters sooner or later, and see what we can do. Or so I hope." Mar said before taking another sip of his drink.

"Now.. As far as where we are going..." Mar said as he fished a rather old and worn code cylinder from his pocket.

He plugged the cylinder into the scomp port and activated the holo-display bringing up a map of a binary star system with twelve planets. The image zoomed to the 3rd planet, a gas giant, which is labeled "3-Latira" and then zoomed to the sixth of its eighteen moons which is labeled "3-Latira-6".

"This is the Latira system. Do not bother trying to recall it either. It was barely charted by a scout ship at the end of the Republic and it did not ever get updated into the galactic charts. I only found it by accident when chasing some dissidents. At the time I was the Astrogater and First Officer on one of the the older series of Customs Cruisers. I sure miss those ships..." he said as he reminisced for a moment.

"Anyways, they fought their way through a surprise customs inspection after they were yanked from hyperspace. They managed to make the jump and we gave chase and then we got pulled out by the gravity of the outermost planet. We beat them there since they were on their backup hyperdrive, and were waiting for them. They tried to fight and run, but we forced them down on that moon where we took them into custody. My Captain was one of the Imperial new bloods, and did not care for the 'alien' craft and also did not care for paperwork, which he had me do. So we left the badly damaged ship and took our captives to face 'justice'. I was to put in to have the ship retrieved at a later date and all that."

"So, I wrote the Captain's report for him, like usual, which he signed without even reading, like usual. I left out and altered some info in the process. I wrote their ship off as a total loss due to damage and changed the system, and then kinda deleted it from the cruiser's navcomputer, but not before saving the system info on this code cylinder, which was the only storage devices I had on such short notice. So we are heading to a forgotten ship in a forgotten system that has been sitting there for a while and will likely need some repairs."

"You should like it though. It's a Mon Calamari design." Mar added as he punched up the stock technical data on the ship along with a holo-projection of it.

large.QR2_sml3.jpg.acd8dd8353c25ac5d7869

Spoiler

Craft: Mon Calamari Scout Ship
Type: Mon Calamari Scout Ship
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 62 meters
Crew: 3 crew + 1 gunner, Skeleton: 1 at +5 difficulty
Passengers: 8
Cargo Capacity: 80 metric tons
Consumables: 6 months
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x10 
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: +2
Space: 5
Atmosphere:
Hull: 3D
Shields: 2D +2D Backup*

* Like most Mon Calamari ships, this Scout Ship has back-up shields (2D). When a die of shields is lost, if the shield operator can make an Easy Starship Shields roll, one of the back-up dice of shields can be brought up to increase the shields back to 2D.

Sensors:
Passive: 20 / 1D
Scan: 40 / 2D
Search: 60 / 3D
Focus: 4 / 4D

Weapons:
Laser Cannon 
Fire Arc: Dorsal.Turret
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D (may be fixed forward to be fired by pilot at only 1D fire control)
Crew: 1/0 (may be fixed forward to be fired by pilot at only 1D fire control)
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 4D

Game Notes:

The ship was a new design to be used by the Mon Calamari Exploratory Service a couple of decades ago. Unfortunately the MCES was eventually, and abruptly, dissolved by the new Galactic Empire. The small fleet of scout ships were sold at auction to private owners, by which time only a few thousand such vessels had been produced. As a scout ship, the cargo bay was intend to store survey equipment, supplies and ground vehicles, but it also makes the ship a serviceable freighter when pressed into such a role, which most of the new owners did. Like most Mon Calamari designs, each individual ship is slightly different, crafted as unique works of art rather than mass-produced, identical ships.

The craft is equipped with different types of landing gear that can be deployed as needed: a landing claw ( to stabilize the ship when docking with another vessel or an asteroid), standard landing gear and the ship can land/float on water. Like many Mon Calamari vessels, the ship is also submersible (maximum depth 1,000 meters).

Also of note is that the ship was deigned with a sick bay, which is unusual outside capital ships. Although small, it was thought to be enough to deal with injuries due to the dangers of exploratory work.

"I know they modified it though, so don't let that data fool you. I certainly remember it being faster, tougher and well armed." Mar cautioned with a grin.

"Anyways, I did it all because I could see the way Imperial rule was going, so I thought I would I set up something to fall back on in case I ever decided to get out, especially without permission." he explained jokingly.

"Hmm, if this ship has been there for any length of time without maintenance, then it will indeed require repairs. I am no technician but i will do whatever i can to help. In the meantime captain do we have quarters assigned to us?"

Mar looked thoughtful at the sudden change of topic. "No, hadn't gotten to that yet but if you need someplace to...rest, Tal can show you to an unused room." He nods to Tal, who acknowledges with his own nod and steps up to the woman he had thought was a Jedi. "Whenever you would like."

Kayda sighs a bit. "If you have no urgent need Captain I find I need to collect my thoughts, this has been a taxing day to say the least."

Mar shakes his head. "No...Kayda, I think there is time for you to rest. I will call for you if we have need."

Kayda gives him a slight bow and turns to leave, nodding to Glint and stopping by Zaylee.

"Zaylee, I owe you and your crew my thanks and my apologies. I am truly sorry for getting you entangled in these events. Such was not my intent. And i will do what ever I can to aid you in getting your ship back."

Glint scratches the back of his head in embarrassment at Tal's declaration.

"Yeah. I can see why you might think that, all right. I'd be just as suspicious, in your position. The odds are certainly astronomically slim. Despite all that, though, I wouldn't dismiss it. Even the Younglings in the temple were taught that the Force likes to.... nudge things, I suppose is the best way of saying it, just so. It does not take away free will, but it can tweak situations, in the hopes of a particular outcome."

Nodding back to Kayda as she passes, he continues.

"There's not much I can offer to prove my story. The last formal class I had in the matter was 17 years ago. In addition, Force Users can sense one another, to a certain extent. Proximity and strength helps, but actively using abilities draws attention of those sensitive to such things and who are in range. For Instance, Just after you took off, Kayda opened herself to the force, letting it guide her in your escape. I felt it from the Cell, though it was a relatively small ripple. If it helps you believe, even slightly, however....."

He closes his eyes, letting out a long breath, visibly relaxing. Movements almost gentle, he holds his hand out, palm down. One of the glasses on the table shudders. Fluidly flipping his hand and raising his arm, the glass, with stuttering movements, begins to raise itself from the table and make it's way to him. The longer it's in the air, the more concentrated on it he seems to be. It just about makes it to him before he seemingly loses his grip, his hand darting out to grab it before it can break on the table. With an almost sheepish grin he explains,

"It's been a long time since I've gotten to flex like that. Like any other skill, without constant practice it will degrade. I haven't had much time alone to practice in a safe area for a long time. Keep in mind, though, we are taught not to reach to the force for everything. It's not a parlour trick to be pulled out for amusements sake. The only reason I demonstrated is because the onus is on me to provide some veracity to my claims, not on you. I hope it puts at least some of your fears to rest."

He places the glass back on the table, looking a lot wearier than he probably should, given the relative size of the glass.

"How long is it till we get to this place anyway? I take it you're planning on stripping as much from this rig as you can to fix the damage on the other? Or how do you plan on proceeding?"

"Hmmm..." Zaylee mused, eyes on the holo-display, glancing at the image of the ship for a moment before devouring the specs. The first spark of real interest that had nothing to do with flying for her life brightened her teal eyes. "Nice ship, newer design than mine."

It was larger too, but with smaller cargo space. It would take a crew bigger than one to get the most out of it, unlike the Endless Odyssey, but Mon Calamari systems looked comfortably familiar to her, even just looking at their technical readouts. She gave Mar a genuine smile. "This, this I can work with, unlike this Imperial junker."

When Kayda stopped by to give her apologies, Zaylee listened while giving her a level look, then shrugged her acceptance. "I was entangled the moment I accepted the credits and the job. Fair enough." She gave the Jedi - close enough - a dry, lopsided grin. "Now I know to ask if a passenger or employer is a Jedi before agreeing to a job. But I'll shamelessly take every advantage of your guilt and help if I see an opportunity to get the Endless Odyssey back, I promise you."

When Glint made his demonstration of the Force, Zaylee felt goosebumps prickle her flesh and she shivered. She had an abstract notion of what the Force was - it was a... thing, out there, but seeing it was an eerie and unnatural thing, especially for someone who was far more familiar with flux stabilizers and turbothrust converter coils.

"I can probably steal a few components from the Cruiser to fix some of the damage - and will almost certainly need to - but I'd need a real dockyard to do any extensive repairs. We'd get more selling the Cruiser intact and then just buying the components we need."

Mar glanced at the exchange between Kayda and Zaylee before turning his attention back to Glint. He listened to the echani speak and nodded as the pale, young man explained. When the glass began to move though, Mar smile behind his mustache, not being quite as amazied as the others might be since he had seen firsthand what fully trained Jedi Knights and Masters could do.

10 hours ago, Glint said:

He places the glass back on the table, looking a lot wearier than he probably should, given the relative size of the glass.

"How long is it till we get to this place anyway? I take it you're planning on stripping as much from this rig as you can to fix the damage on the other? Or how do you plan on proceeding?"

6 hours ago, Zaylee Zanne said:

"I can probably steal a few components from the Cruiser to fix some of the damage - and will almost certainly need to - but I'd need a real dockyard to do any extensive repairs. We'd get more selling the Cruiser intact and then just buying the components we need."

Mar nodded to Zaylee as she responded to Glint's inquiry.

"Well, we cannot be sure what we are going to have to do once we get there. I am not sure of the exact condition of the ship, but I do remember it was pretty severely damaged. With luck she is still spaceworthy and with at least a functional backup hyperdrive. If not, then hopefully it will not take much to make her so, because Zaylee is right. An intact Imperial Customs Cruiser will fetch a much better price than a cannibalized one, even if it means limping to some shadowport with a backup hyperdrive so that we can effect repairs ourselves. When we get to the ship we will have to give it a thorough once over to identify all the modifications that were made and do a damage assessment so we can prioritize any repairs. Mostly though we will just have to play it by ear." Mar explained.

"Our ETA is roughly ten hours. So I would suggest everybody get some food and rest as there is likely quite a bit of work waiting for us when we arrive. We have months worth of food and the ship has cabins for twenty. Many are dual bunks, since we normally hot rack, but even still there are enough cabins for everybody to have their own for the time being." he offered and motioned down a corridor toward the cabins.

"Oh. Tal grabbed what he could from all of your quarters. Your things, or at least what he could get, are in a crate in the cargo hold." he added.

Spoiler

Shadowport: Spaceports used by smugglers, ship thieves, and other criminally linked spacers. Quite often, shadowports are hidden to provide protection from authorities, with their locations only known to reputable spacers.

Hot Rack: The practice of sharing the same bunk with another member of the crew so that one who is off duty gets to sleep in the bunk.

In the corridor toward the crew cabins...

Tal led Kayda down the corridor and opened the door to one of the crew cabins for her and stood to the side in thoughtful contemplation for a moment.

"Are you.. you know.. are you really a Jedi? Or were one, or being trained as one or whatever? I mean, even if you weren't we still would have rescued you. I have no regrets about that either way. Nobody deserves what an Inquisitor would do to them. But if you are, I mean were, then that means the Empire is afraid of you and we might be onto something, you know?" he asked, somewhat disjointedly and hopeful as Kayda felt a faint, nearby ripple in the Force.

Arcata nodded at Mar, and went to the mess to see what kind of food the ship had been stocked with. Glint's trick hadn't escaped her. She'd seen enough of the Inquisitor in action to know there was some kind of energy she was able to use, and had surmised that the Inquisition had trained to use the weapon of the enemy against them. How could one fight beings like the 'jedi' if one did not have at least some of their powers?

What it was, how it worked, those were unanswered. One did not simply ask Inquisitors such things. Having Kayda and this echani aboard was therefore simultaneously a great opportunity, and a terrible risk. As they learned what this energy was, so could Arcata. But if they started becoming drunk on its power...she would have to have some kind of contingency plan in place. And that hinged on her ability to determine when they were crossing the line.

She couldn't afford to keep them at arms length. She'd need to know them well enough to see a change. And they'd need to trust her enough not to guard themselves too much to see it.

It wasn't much of a plan, but it would do for now.

Kel headed for a cabin, feeling... not sure how he could describe this feeling. Glint had showed something. There was something then, with this Force. Something real. A sentient being moving a glass - somehow. No visible energy, nothing. Just seeming space and will. Okay, it was freaking frightening. And how the bloody hell did it work?

Note to self: find portable scientific sensors and have them around sometime. The HoloNet was a masterwork that bridged communication on a galactic scale, but it was parts and electronics, and code deep down. All with rules. This 'Force' had to be the same.

Anyway though. If, and this was not something Kel necessarily dismissed out of hand - Glint's claims that Jedi 'Knights' and 'Masters' could do far more, that certainly explained why the Emperor wanted them all gone and unheard of. A hostile group like that would be a nightmare.

But those answers could wait. Fixing the derelict Mon Cal, dumping the Imperial Customs craft, and survival came first.

On 12/10/2015 at 4:46 PM, Noir said:

In the corridor toward the crew cabins...

Tal led Kayda down the corridor and opened the door to one of the crew cabins for her and stood to the side in thoughtful contemplation for a moment.

"Are you.. you know.. are you really a Jedi? Or were one, or being trained as one or whatever? I mean, even if you weren't we still would have rescued you. I have no regrets about that either way. Nobody deserves what an Inquisitor would do to them. But if you are, I mean were, then that means the Empire is afraid of you and we might be onto something, you know?" he asked, somewhat disjointedly and hopeful as Kayda felt a faint, nearby ripple in the Force.

She pauses before entering a decision made. Looking at Tal, a smile plays across her lips, a man, boy really, so full of exuberance and hope. Her glance travels past Tal back the way they had come to where the others were still. Mar Older than her and he lived through this and retains his own honor and his own hope for a better world to return. Glint, potential unfulfilled, He needs a guide, a teacher, could that, should that, be me?

"Yes Tal, I was a Jedi Padawan. My master was Otoka Bis and together we fought in the Clone Wars, until we were betrayed." She reaches out and squeezes his shoulder to give reassurance. "And I thank you for your sacrifice in saving us, at great cost to your selves. That is something a Jedi would have done, and something I needed to be reminded of. Maybe, maybe the flame i had thought extinguished still smolders. You and Captain Mar, and the others have given me something to think on, I thank you for that as well." She opens the door. "If it's no bother could you let Glint Know that I will see him when he is ready?"

A wide eyed smile fills the young mans face. "No  bother at all.... ah...I don't know what to call you?"

"Kayda will do."

She enters the room and the door shuts.

Spoiler

Kayda will meditate on the force until she is needed or Glint comes to her.

Roki had not spoken since Glint’s demonstration but the others were getting used to his taciturn way. In truth, he was struggling to comprehend what had just happened.

Glint said he’d used the Force to move the glass, and when he’d done so, Roki had felt his skin crawl. It wasn’t the sense that he got when he felt as though he were being watched, but a feeling that ants were crawling across his skin. The moment the glass had stuttered on the table, it had started, and hadn’t stopped until the Echani had caught the falling container.

He’d just seen the impossible. The Jedi were stories told by those who felt hopeless in the face of the Empire. Believing that there were people with mystical powers who could defy and frighten the monolithic power of the Emperor’s rule had seemed a silly emotional crutch. Only fools believed in the irrational in this civilized, scientific age. Only the mentally weak clung to the hope of a rising savior wielding an unseen, untouchable Force.

Yet he had felt it.

Roki missed much of the following conversation, lost in fearful thoughts. When he was sure his hands wouldn’t shake, he finished the drink in his hands and rose. The glass was placed in the ship’s cleaning bot without thought.

He walked the empty corridors of the custom ship, his thoughts far away from the here and now, and further still from the rationality that had always been his comfort growing up. The galaxy made sense without the Force. With it, Roki wasn’t sure what to believe anymore.

He found some crew quarters and tried to settle in. The room was entrapping, and he soon left. His feet took him to the lower gun turret, and he slipped into the seat. Bracing his feet on the yoke, he watched the stars zip by their ship while he tried to make sense of the universe again.

Seeing everyone lost in their own thoughts and going about their business, Glint gives a shrug and pushes himself out of his chair. If people wished for more information, it would hardly be a challenge to find him in the tight confines of the Cruiser. He pauses for a moment, trying to decide what to do, before eventually shrugging and proceeding down the corridor Vayda and Tal disappeared down earlier. Passing Tal, he gives a friendly smile and a clap on the shoulder, acknowledging the risk the young ensign took in helping Kayda, nodding once more in thanks when he Tal informs him that Kayda is expecting him.

He halts briefly outside her door, visibly collecting himself before knocking. After being invited in, he shifts uncomfortably. Taking a breath, he begins

"So....." he trails off almost immediately. Trying again, he doesn't fare much better. Eventually, he just snorts at himself.

"You know, 18 years I've been hoping to run across someone else, trying to line up what I would ask. Now I'm sitting here with you, and every conversation I've envisaged has just sort of flown out the Airlock." He sighs.

Approximately ten hours later...

A small alarm chimed on the bridge, signalling the upcoming exist from hyperspace and prompting Tal's eyes to glance from the stars outside the cockpit down to the console in front of him.

"Sir. We are due to exit ten minutes." Tal said to the snoozing Mar with his boots crossed and resting on the navcomputer with his eyes closed.

"Then let the others know and you or Zaylee take her in." Mar grumbled, not even opening his eyes.

"Aye, sir." Tal replied with a smile and then pressed the button for the ship's intercom.

"We will be reaching the Latira system it roughly ten minutes." Tal's voice said across the intercom as people ate, rested or performed whatever task was currently occupying them.

"The charts for the system have never been updated, so with a dozen planets and nearly a hundred moons we will be flying in and not risking any microjumps. Unfortunately, that means another ten hours or so. I hope you like our library of holovids..."

Another ten hours later...

"Here we are. 3-Latira-6." Mar said over the intercom as the ship rounded the yellow-orange gas giant 3-Latira, bringing the sixth moon into view.

It was a small moon with barren highlands and lush green lowlands and valleys  Looking down at it, the moon seemed largely devoid of any significant impacts, likely with the other moons or the gas giant itself intercepting any rogue asteroids and comets.

large.566d309f7e001_3-Latira-6sml.jpg.ce

Spoiler

3-Latira-6
Type: Terrestrial moon
Temperature: Warm
Atmosphere: Type 1 (breathable)
Hydrosphere: Moderate
Gravity: Standard
Orbital Position: 6th of 18 moons orbiting the 3rd of 12 planets
Terrain: Forests, Jungles, Mountains
Length of day: 29 Standard hours
Length of Year: 280 local days
Sapient Species: None known
Starport: None
Population: None known
Planet Function: None
Government: None
Tech Level: None
Major Exports: None
Major Imports: None
System: Latira
Star: Latira A, Latira B

Gradually the small moon grew larger and larger until the cruiser began to enter the atmosphere. Under Zaylee's control the ship approached the coordinates with a green canopy of tree below occasionally broken up by some clearings until finally the computer chimes to indicate the coordinates have been reached. Below the ship sat break in the trees maybe one hundred meters across at the widest with a ship resembling the one Mat had displayed, though with obvious signs of damage, resting in the center. Some vegetation had begun to encroach on the dormant spacecraft as well, making it almost look like small hill in the clearing.

"Let's go check it out. Anybody going with, meet me at the ramp. I do not expect any trouble, but we have blasters if you want one." he said over the intercom as Zaylee set the ship down.

Mar rose and walked back into the hold where he withdrew a gun belt and holstered a blaster before issuing them to anybody else who wanted one. He then walked over to the ramp controls and slowly it began to descend to the ground below, letting in a wave of hot, humid air as well as the chips and calls of various inspects and birds. Twin suns were high in the sky, making the day bright and hot and causing Mar to shield his eyes with his off hand as she walked across the grass toward the mon calamari ship.

The ramp was down and by the looks of it, had been for some time. The soil and grass totally encroached on the ramp where it met the ground, making it unclear where metal ended and ground began. At the top of the ramp the hatch was closed, but the control pane next to it still faintly glowed through a layer of fine dust.

"Well, it looks undisturbed." Mar said as he wiped some grime from the scomp socket with his thumb and then inserted the old code cylinder.

The hatch doors clicked and shook a small cloud of dust off as they opened, revealing the corridor beyond. The interior lights flickered for a moment and turned on, illuminating the smooth, rounded corridor, common of Mon Calamari design. The interior was clean, devoid of dirt and vegetation, the air somewhat stale, but cool.

"Just in case, we fan out and search the ship. Once it is cleared we can work on a damage assessment." Mar suggested as he walked down a corridor with a hint of caution in his steps.

The search of the ship is largely uneventful, but it does become clear that to call the ship "modified" is a bit of an understatement...

- The ship's displays have all been converted from the visual spectrum of the Mon Calamari to the galactic standard.

- Kel discoverers the ship is equipped with a code masker programmed with one alternate transponder code, "The Typhoon Star".

- Zaylee can see that both hyperdrives have been replaced with faster models. In addition, the primary hyperdrive, a top of the line model (x1) has been further upgraded as well. After checking the hyperdrives, Zaylee checks the cargo bay, located in the rear of the ship. A cargo skiff and speeder bike are secured in the cargo bay. In addition, one quarter of the space has been permanently divided off and converted into a spacious and luxurious passenger suite capable of carrying up to four passengers in comfort well beyond that normally offered by a ship of this type.

- Mar finds that the engines and handling have both been heavily upgraded.

- Tal discovers that the shield generators and backup shield generators have been upgraded.

- Roki and Arcata finds that significant weapon systems have been added (laser cannon turret, ion cannon turret, rear-firing proton torpedo launcher). The added weapons are all visually concealed until in use and sensor baffled as well, visually disguising them and effectively hiding them from all but the best sensor operators.

- The ship has two cabins with two bunks each, four individual crew cabins, and a single, slightly larger cabin.

- The ship was built with an additional three cabins (with two bunks each), but modifications have claimed the space;
 - - Kel finds the first cabin was converted into small machine shop/workshop (+1D+2 to Repair skills). In addition it contains two repair droids which were folded into small metal crates (much like a Pit Droid), but activate when Kel enters.

"Repairs, sir?" they ask in a calm, mechanical voice.

large.566e3839d557d_repairdroid3.jpg.835

- - Kayda and Glint find second cabin was sacrificed to expand the sick bay, complete with a bacta tank. (+2D to First Aid. The bacta tank requires the Medicine advanced skill to use). When entering the sick bay a round, harmless looking droid activates.

"Please state the natu... Oh! Hello! I am TU-8Y. May I assist you?" it says in a pleasant, cheerful voice.

large.droid2.jpg.4f2b341bd1514840ca22661

- - Tal then discovers that the third cabin has been replaced with a supplemental energizer, to handle the considerable additional power draw of the ship's added weapons, shields and upgrades. Alternately, it allows the ship to 'run silent' for up to an hour and can provide emergency power and life support.

Spoiler

large.QR2_big.jpg.d50abe96389be916aa7fe5

The Quasar Ray (aka Typhoon Star)

Craft: Modified Mon Calamari Scout Ship
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 62 meters
Crew: 3 crew + 4 gunners, Skeleton: 1 at +5 difficulty  (Stock Rating: 3 crew + 1 gunner, Skeleton: 1 at +5 difficulty)
Crew Skill:
Passengers: 4 (see Game Notes)  (Stock Rating: 8)
Cargo Capacity: 60 metric tons (Stock Rating: 80 metric tons)
Consumables: 6 months
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x0.75  [Currently Non-Functional]   [Difficult Space Transports Repair roll]  (Stock Rating: 2)
Hyperdrive Backup: x5  (Stock Rating: 10)
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D+2  [Currently 1D]   [Easy Space Transports Repair roll]  (Stock Rating: +2)
Space:[Currently 5]   [Moderate Space Transports Repair roll]  (Stock Rating: 5)
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000 km/h
Hull: 4D+2  [Currently 4D]   [Easy Space Transports Repair roll]  (Stock Rating: 3D)
Shields: 3D +4D Backup*  [Currently 0D +3D]   [Difficult Space Transports Repair roll]  (Stock Rating: 2D +2D Backup)

* Like most Mon Calamari ships, this Scout Ship has back-up shields (4D). When a die of shields is lost, if the shield operator can make an Easy Starship Shields roll, one of the back-up dice of shields can be brought up to increase the shields back to 3D.

Sensors:
Passive: 20 / 1D
Scan: 40 / 2D
Search: 60 / 3D
Focus: 4 / 4D

Weapons:

Laser Cannon  [Easy Starship Weapon Repair roll]
Fire Arc: Dorsal.Turret
Fire Control: 2D (may be fixed forward to be fired by pilot at only 1D fire control)  [Currently 1D / 0D if fixed forward]
Crew: 1 (may be fixed forward to be fired by pilot at only 1D fire control)
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 4D

Concealed Laser Cannon (Sensor baffled, Not stock)  [Difficult Starship Weapon Repair roll]
Fire Arc: Left Turret (may be fixed forward to be fired by pilot at only 1D fire control)
Fire Control: 2D+2  [Currently 1D+1 / 0D+1 if fixed forward]
Space Range: 1-3/12/25  [Currently 1-3/10/20]
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km [Currently 100-300/1 km/2 km]
Damage: 5D  [Currently 4D]

Concealed Ion Cannon (Sensor baffled, Not stock)  [Difficult Starship Weapon Repair roll]
Fire Arc: Right Turret (may be fixed forward to be fired by pilot at only 1D fire control)
Fire Control: 2D (may be fixed forward to be fired by pilot at only 1D fire control)
Space Range: 1-3/7/36  [Currently 1-3/5/24]
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/500/3.6 km  [Currently 100-300/600/2.4 km]
Damage: 6D  [Currently 4D]

Proton Torpedo Launcher (Sensor baffled, Not stock)  [Easy Starship Weapon Repair roll]
Magazine: 6  (2 remaining)
Fire Arc: Rear
Fire Control: 2D (may be fired by pilot at only 1D fire control)  [Currently 1D]
Crew: 1 (may be fired by pilot at only 1D fire control)
Space Range: 1/3/7
Atmosphere Range: 50-100/300/700
Damage: 9D

Game Notes:

The ship was a new design to be used by the Mon Calamari Exploratory Service several decades ago, Unfortunately the MCES was eventually, and abruptly, dissolved by the new Galactic Empire. The small fleet of scout ships were sold at auction to private owners, by which time only a few thousand such vessels had been produced. As a scout ship, the cargo bay was intend to store survey equipment, supplies and ground vehicles, but it also makes the ship a serviceable freighter when pressed into such a role, which most of the new owners did. Like most Mon Calamari designs, each individual ship is slightly different, crafted as unique works of art rather than mass-produced, identical ships.

The craft is equipped with different types of landing gear that can be deployed as needed: a landing claw ( to stabilize the ship when docking with another vessel or an asteroid), standard landing gear and the ship can land/float on water. Like many Mon Calamari vessels, the ship is also submersible (maximum depth 1,000 meters).

In addition, a significant amount of credits has been spent to heavily modify this ship from it's stock configuration;

- The ship's displays have all been converted from the visual spectrum of the Mon Calamari to the galactic standard.

- The ship is equipped with a code masker.
 - - The code masker has one alternate transponder code programmed, "The Typhoon Star".

- The both hyperdrives have been replaced with faster models.
 - -  The primary hyperdrive has been upgraded. 

- The engines and handling have been heavily upgraded.

- The shield generators and backup shield generators have been upgraded.

- Significant weapon systems have been added (laser cannon, ion cannon, proton torpedo launcher).
 - - The added weapons are all visually concealed until in use and sensor baffled, visually disguising them effectively hiding them from all but the best sensor operators.

- The ship has two cabins with two bunks each, four individual crew cabins, and a single, slightly larger cabin (likely for the captain) 

- The ship was built with an additional three cabins (with two bunks each), but modifications have claimed the space;
 - - The first cabin was converted into small machine shop/workshop (+1D+2 to Repair skills). In addition it contains two repair droids.

- - A second cabin was sacrificed to expand the sick bay, complete with a bacta tank. (+2D to First Aid. The bacta tank requires the Medicine advanced skill to use).
 - - The third cabin has been replaced with a supplemental energizer, to handle the considerable additional power draw of the ship's added weapons, shields and upgrades. Alternately, it allows the ship to 'run silent' for up to an hour and can provide emergency power and life support.

- The cargo bay, located in the rear of the ship, has had one quarter of the space permanently divided off and converted into a spacious and luxurious passenger suite capable of carrying up to four passengers in comfort well beyond that normally offered by a ship of this type.

- A cargo skiff and speeder bike are secured in the cargo bay.

After an hour or so, over the ship's intercom Mar's voice rang out,

"Well, I am done. I'll be in the common area. Let's all meet up there when you've all finished."

After landing the Imperial Cruiser, Zaylee went to the cargo and collected the few possessions she retained after losing her ship and her home. The heavy blaster pistol looked almost ludicrous in her small hands but she felt more comfortable heading out of ship on a strange moon with it hung low on her hip. The intricate and advanced multi-tool looked very natural on the petite trader captain, balancing the blaster on her other hip.

Her nose scrunched up cutely when her short-heeled boots sunk in the dirt and grass encroaching on the ramp of the scout ship, but she let out a low whistle, an excited grin blooming on her face as she took in the curved lines. It was a different design than her own ship, but that was undoubtedly a Mon Calamari ship. "I already have a better feeling about this ship, Mar."

Zaylee waved in absent agreement with Mar about searching the ship before working on damage assessment, having been the first to dart into the ship when Mar opened the hatch. She marched forward with animated interest in comparison to Mar's caution, her excitement to peruse the Mon Calamari scout ship overwhelming thoughts about potential danger on the long abandoned ship.

She moved through the ship with a datapad in hand, making notes as eyes sharp with familiarity with Mon Calamari designs studied the systems and damage. It was a good ship, heavily modified. She would have to get an eye on the systems to see how the modifications affected them over time, once they got them repaired.

Zaylee nodded in delighted confirmation as she ran a diagnostic on the hyperdrive. It was the same model she had on the Endless Odyssey, top of the line, but it looked like they had been redlining it, overclocking its capacity. She had been considering doing something similar, but wanted to replace some components first with more robust ones. As it was, just from her basic diagnostic, she could tell she'd have to repair or replace the ion exciter and do something about the repulsor-compensator, but it was a challenge she was eager to take on.

The cargo skiff and speeder bike would need some much needed maintenance before she'd clear them for use. The passenger suit was impressive enough Zaylee supposed, if musty after the abandonment, but the trader in her sniffed, considering it a needless extravagance at the cost of cargo space.

Zaylee strutted into the common area with a bounce in her step and a broad smile on her face. A bit of grim darkened one cheek and her hands were dirty from her explorations and primary look at the ships components but she didn't seem to notice or care.

"By the blinding stars, Mar, looks like we have one hell of a ship here. Saying it's been modded was quite the understatement. It's gonna take a Hutt's ass worth of labor to get everything working in top shape again, not to much more than a few credits., but I can do it," Zaylee boasted confidently. She plopped down into one of the rounded chairs, but when she went to swivel it to prop her feet on the table, the chair stuck with a brief squeal. Nonplussed. she hooked  her legs over the arms of the chair. "By the way, I call dibs on the captain's quarters."

PREVIOUSLY WHILE IN HYPERSPACE

It felt Right as she looked at Glint a momentary sense of completeness filled her and for a brief instant she felt … what a memory, as if her Master were standing there beside her.

“We have time before we arrive at our destination I suggest we use it to find out where we stand in relation to your training. I felt you using the force earlier, let us delve further into that. Show me what you remember …”

For several hours the two Jedi stayed in the cabin Glint demonstrating his abilities and Kayda instructing as well as learning. He was eager to learn and she found herself eager to teach. After so long without the company of another Jedi she now realized how much she had missed it.

After a time they rested.

“Some of what you have shown me Is even beyond my training and I don't think you learned at the temple. I want to caution you about over extending. You are out of practice and your control is not where it should be not through any fault of your own. But try to much and you may become frustrated, and that could open you up to dangerous things. We are going into dangerous circumstances and the Darkside will seak to find our weaknesses.”

She stands up. “I want to work on your control formost, Concentration will be the most beneficial skill I can teach you for now.” Out of her bag she draws the remote and she adjusts it's settigns and activates it. “We will need to build you a saber,but for now use mine”

Glint takes the offered saber and activates the unfamiliar weapon. Trying to remember the forms he had been taught as a child he proceeds to practice under her tutelage.

They pause as a chime sounds

We will be reaching the Latira system it roughly ten minutes." Tal's voice said across the intercom as people ate, rested or performed whatever task was currently occupying them.

"The charts for the system have never been updated, so with a dozen planets and nearly a hundred moons we will be flying in and not risking any microjumps. Unfortunately, that means another ten hours or so. I hope you like our library of holovids..."

IN THE LATIRA SYSTEM

During the remaindr of the flight Glint and Kayda again kept to themselves only joining the others for meals.

"Here we are. 3-Latira-6." Mar said over the intercom as the ship rounded the yellow-orange gas giant 3-Latira, bringing the sixth moon into view.

It was a small moon with barren highlands and lush green lowlands and valleys  Looking down at it, the moon seemed largely devoid of any significant impacts, likely with the other moons or the gas giant itself intercepting any rogue asteroids and comets.

Gradually the small moon grew larger and larger until the cruiser began to enter the atmosphere. Under Zaylee's control the ship approached the coordinates with a green canopy of tree below occasionally broken up by some clearings until finally the computer chimes to indicate the coordinates have been reached. Below the ship sat break in the trees maybe one hundred meters across at the widest with a ship resembling the one Mat had displayed, though with obvious signs of damage, resting in the center. Some vegetation had begun to encroach on the dormant spacecraft as well, making it almost look like small hill in the clearing.

"Let's go check it out. Anybody going with, meet me at the ramp. I do not expect any trouble, but we have blasters if you want one." he said over the intercom as Zaylee set the ship down.

When Kayda and Glint made their way out of the customs ship they drew the attention of the rest of the group. Kayda had discarded the robes she had been wearing in favor of a style of dress easily recognized by Captain Mar and those to whom the Jedi were a reality and not just a myth. There was no mistaking the ancient weapon at her side, a lightsaber, something few of them had ever actually seen. That in itself was a statement. Glint standing at her side was another. Mar recognized what he was seeing although in truth he hadn't been sure he would ever see it again after all these years. Glint had not outwardly changed in the day he had spent sequestered with Kayda, but he stood straighter and his demeanor was one of calm determination.

30w5ma0.jpg

The two Jedi crossed to the the others at the foot of the ramp into the abandoned ship, Mar said a few word and ordered the ship searched. Kayda stopped Zylee before she entered the ship and handed her a Datapad.

“Zaylee, see if you cand find any of the materials I have listed here if you get a chance.”

Zaylee couldn't help but look at the lightsaber, the thing which had gotten them into this mess and a thing she had never seen before but would love to take apart to see how it worked. “Sure, if I come across anything.” Then she turned and grinning went into the ship.

Kayda and Glint moved up the ramp and into the Mon Cal ship behind the rest at the top of the ramp they paused.

“Take a moment, open yourself to the Force.”

Glint closed his eyes and concentrated opening his senses, trying to feel the Force. Kayda watched him and opened herself as well, they began to move through the ship in the wake of the others. “Don't force it let it come naturally, don't seek, let it come to you, The Force will show you what you need, just be open to it when it comes.” Glint nodded remembering her earlier warning about frustration. He followed along with her as they searched through the ship.

Kayda had been on many different typs of ships during the Clone Wars but she had never seen a Mon Calamari ship before. The design and layout with it's rounded curvy features was new to her, and she found it pleasing and elegant. As thay made there way around she felt the others through the force relishing the fresh sensations of long unused skills. She was some what surprised when she crossed paths with Roki and Arcata examining the ships numerous weapons systems. A slight ripple in the Force as they exchanged greetings which then centered on the young man. She glanced at Glint but he gave no indication of detecting what she had. She remained silent on the subject and the moved on making their way to the ships living quarters. Again she felt that familiare ripple as the passed the Cargo hold pausing to look in she found Zaylee going through some of the stores. As if senseing them there she turned and looked back at them and gave a small wave. “I found a few items so far from your list, I have em marked and noted the location for later.”

“Thank You Zaylee.”

Once passed the cargo hold they enter the living quarters. A sense of the ship was finally solidifying, it was weak but the ship had a connection to the Force, she was sure of it. The more they searched the cabins the more certain of it she became then at the door to the last cabin she stop before entering.

“Do you feel anything Glint?”

Glint hesitated, they had spoken very little during the serch bu t he had kow she would question him eventually. “I... I'm not sure. I think I do, something...I sometime think I smell something or hear something...I get the feeling that something happened here.” He sighs. “I don't know.”

“No, Glint thats good, you feel the Force. Somthing did happen here there is a connection It's weak now faded. But Something did happen here and whatever it was it left an impression. That's what we are feeling”

She opens the door expecting another cabin instead they see a additional medic bay with what looks like a fully equipped surgery and a Bacta Tank. The enter the room and are surprised by a voice.

"Please state the natu... Oh! Hello! I am TU-8Y. May I assist you?" Kayda does not recognize the model of droid but it looks harmless and somewhat...jolly.

Hello. I'm Kayda, and this is Glint. We have just come aboard this ship, perhaps you can tells us about her.”

Glint marvels at the easy way in which Kayda converses with the droid with no hesitation at all acting like they belong there. The droid doesnt appear to be armed...TU-8Y those model numbers aren't familiar. TU-8Y...”Tubby?”

The droid swivels his round head at Glint. “Yes? Have we met before?”

Spoiler

The datapad Kayda gives to Zayly has the common parts needed to construct a lightsaber.

Kayda will be teaching Glint Control stat and the Concentration Skill, as well as Lightsaber.

Kel blinked at the ready obedience of the droids, but probably they assumed him to be one of the crew. "What are your names?

"FR-1K, sir." "FR-4K, sir."

Well, Kel decided, wasn't that charming? "Go through the ship, take a repair assessment of everything. Report to the common area when you're done." They saluted and tromped off.

Later, Kel came in and slung himself over the back of the chair next to Zaylee. "Well, we have a workshop, and our trusty repair droids FR-1K and FR-4K. And a code masker! That should help us stay under the radar."

Roki woke up suddenly when Tal’s voice announced they were in the system. Groaning, he pulled himself out of the turret and stretched, feeling like someone had taken a stun baton to his back. The chair was not conducive to a good night’s sleep, so he dragged himself off to the bunk he’d claimed and lay down for a few more hours.

He deliberately did not reflect on the thoughts that had been plaguing him when he went to sleep.

After he woke, he went through his morning drill, as best he could in the limited confines of the ship. He showered, ate, and then found a datapad to read, mostly to kill the time. He didn’t want to talk to anyone; all he wanted was to forget what he’d felt yesterday.

That wasn’t easy when Kayda appeared dressed as a Jedi. Roki didn’t believe in them but he’d seen enough pictures to know those were the ceremonial garments. Perhaps it was their uniform.

The day went down from there; he worked with Arcata on the weapons system. The systems themselves were impressive, and Roki felt better about taking on this heap. The ship was worth salvaging, if they could pull it off.

Roki rejoined them all in the common area, taking an empty seat away from the Jedi and her new student. He listened attentively to the reports from the others. “The weapons systems are quite impressive,” he said, going over the modifications and changes done in the ship’s offensive capabilities.

On 16/12/2015 at 0:43 AM, Kayda Vayawn said:

Glint marvels at the easy way in which Kayda converses with the droid with no hesitation at all acting like they belong there. The droid doesnt appear to be armed...TU-8Y those model numbers aren't familiar. TU-8Y...”Tubby?”

The droid swivels his round head at Glint. “Yes? Have we met before?”

Glint coughs uncomfortably.

"Ah... no. Just a lucky guess. You can call me Glint, though. A pleasure to meet you." He sketches a half bow.

"Just looking around and getting acquainted with the new facilities. Have to say, I'm impressed with what I'm seeing. Particularly these Medical facilities"

He hides a smile at the quiet pride evident in the Droids tone

"Yes sir, the Medical facility here is state of the art. With my presence, we are currently equipped to deal with 98.352% of Common ailments, including Flash burns, broken bones and a variety of bacterial and viral infections. In addition, I have been programmed with the ability to perform surgery and see to the preparation and dispensation of appropriate nutritional supplement....."

The Droid continues to chatter on, with Glint nodding along. Eventually, he manages to pull away, flashing Kayda a small smile at the Droids enthusiasm, making his way back to the meeting area and sliding into a chair beside Kel, Kayda taking a seat on his other side.

"We'll, medically speaking, we seem to be sorted. We have a Droid Surgeon and Master Chef down there. Little guy has an impressive Resume. State of the Art medbay, including a Bacta tank. Which I found particularly noteworthy. Never heard of a ship smaller than a Capital ship with one of those installed. Long and short, anything short of dismemberment, and Tubby or the Tank should be able to handle it. Credit where it's due, the guys who owned this thing seemed to know what they were doing."

"Indeed," Arcata agreed. "Which makes me wonder why the ship was abandoned in the first place. That said, whatever hidden risks it has, we'd be fools to walk away from it. We simply need to be prepared."

"Like most Mon Calamari vessels, this one started out undergunned for its mass, but was subsequently upgraded. It should hold its own against other ships in its weight class now, though we shouldn't be overconfident about it. Avoiding outright conflicts is still a wise course of action when it's available to us...every fight draws attention and creates records that the Inquisitor will find, given time. Changing ships, especially in this unregulated environment should give us some breathing room however."

She looked at the Jedi and added, "I'd advise against wearing such things openly, however. They're memorable, identifying, and even otherwise neutral operators will be willing to collect the credits for tipping Imperial investigators off to the presence of one who they think may be jedi-trained."

"I would agree with you, Arcata, were I intending to hide." She swings her gaze to encompass everyone, not just the severe ex-imperial officer.\ " You have described this woman as implacable and resourceful. You have said that she will not give up. Then we will draw her in to a place and time of our choosing. We will confront her and we shall defeat her. The only other option open for us is to run and scramble from place to place trying to stay one step ahead of her. That is no way to live your life. And I for one am done with hiding."

Archived