Star Wars: Enemies of the Empire - OOC

Noir

large.563e8a7162d2a_SWEOEbanner.jpg.9761

Star Wars: Enemies of the Empire

Near the very end of the Clone Wars, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine thwarted the attempted coup by the Jedi Order, but was left horribly disfigured. His resolve remained strong though, and to protect the Republic, Palpatine had the Jedi hunted down and exterminated. At the same time, under Palpatine's leadership, the Republic finally defeated the Separatist threat and brought an end to the Clone Wars. Once again, the Republic was at peace. To protect that peace and ensure security and continuing stability, Chancellor Palpatine announced he would reorganize the Republic into the Galactic Empire with himself as Emperor, to the thunderous applause of the Senate.

...or at least that was the story sold to the frightened and war-weary masses.

It has been twenty or so years since the birth of the Galactic Empire and the masses got more than they bargained for by accepting the rule of Emperor Palpatine.  The Empire is oppressive and militaristic, with voices of dissension among the old guard being quickly silenced and purged from the new government, making the Emperor's power absolute. The white armored Clone Troopers, once a symbol of protection of the Republic have been replaced with Stormtroopers who strike fear into those who would dare raise a voice or hand against the new Empire.

The Jedi, once the guardians of peace throughout the Republic, have been villainized and even reduced to mere myth. The Jedi Purge, though extensive, was not fully effective. Some Jedi managed to escape the purge and go into hiding, sometimes doing their best to train new students in secret and oppose the Empire, keeping the tales of the Jedi of old alive among some of the people. Those few Jedi remaining are pursued relentlessly by the Imperial Inquisitors, seeking to terminate or even turn the few Jedi remaining to the Dark Side.

Not every voice has been silenced though, as some spoke in hushed tone as they saw what was happening and fostered the idea of rebellion. Those voices organized the the Rebel Alliance with the purpose of ending Imperial rule and restoring the Republic once again. Slowly the rebellion has grown, with the Alliance managing several daring hit and run attacks on the Empire while spontaneous rebellions have also erupted on planets, ranging from harassment of Imperial forces to planet-wide open rebellion. These rebellions and the acts of the Rebel Alliance force the Empire to spend more and more time and resources to maintain their grip on the galaxy which, in turn, often fosters more rebellion.

And this is where we find our story, among a small group of individuals who have taken a stand against the might of the oppressive Empire, each for their own reasons, and try to show that the actions of a few can help change the galaxy...

GM: Noir

# of players: 2-6 (though if only one person is interested, solo is a possibility)

System: Star Wars d6 by West End Games (though "d6 Space" has most of the rules). I can help supply the rules for any who need it. Just PM me. (Some form of diceless is also an option if that is the consensus.)

Era: Rebellion Era - Anywhere from 4-5 years before the Battle of Yavin (EP 4) up to shortly after the Battle of Hoth (Ep 5). Earlier is probably better than later, but I am open to input.

Pace: Far more action/adventure than intrigue

PCs: The PCs are either sympathetic to the Rebels, soon-to-be Rebels, or Rebels themselves (or any combination there of) and are most likely, wanted/hunted by the Empire to varying degrees (especially any jedi & force users).

PC origins are pretty open. Individual PCs could be former Imperials who changed sides or are trying to defect/oppose the Empire, partially or poorly trained jedi, other force users, smuggler, mechanics, soldiers, operatives, slicers and so on. Some personal and combat ability is strongly recommended Some degree of space combat ability (such as the Starship Gunnery skill) is suggested as well.

A droid character is is also possible (having not had a memory wipe in a very long time or just quirky programming), but could be restrictive in some ways.

Force users are fine, but a party made entirely of force users is not recommended.

Most races are fine as well, especially the common races.

Feel free to post questions here or PM them to me. And again, I can help supply rules and assist in character creation (which is very simple) to those who need it.

if this gets goin I would like to be one of those jedi in training... maybe one of the young who was saved or something from the purge...but if too many want to be force users i'll do something else

whatever system you are comfortable with noir i dont care

43 minutes ago, Nina said:

if this gets goin I would like to be one of those jedi in training... maybe one of the young who was saved or something from the purge...

A youngling who was not at the Jedi temple could have survived the purge and only been able to get very limited training since then.

If you want to be older, the same could work, but as a Padawan at the time of the Purge.

It is also possible to havenot even been in training (or even known you were force sensitive) at the time of purge and instead was found by, and recieved some training from, a Jedi Knight (not a master) who survived the purge, so the training was limited.

There are certainly other options too. These were just a few off the top of my head.

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Noctis said:

Thinking I'll be a non-force user. Smuggler, merc, slicer, not really decided specifically what yet.

Great. It has been my experience that a mix of force users and non works best. Heh.

4 minutes ago, Noir said:

If you want to be older, the same could work, but as a Padawan at the time of the Purge.

I like this idea... a padawan who was out on a mission with her Master when the purge occurred and the master ordered her to run/hide  how does that sound?

Just now, Nina said:

I like this idea... a padawan who was out on a mission with her Master when the purge occurred and the master ordered her to run/hide  how does that sound?

That could certainly work. That would put you at like 30-40 years old now (if human), depending on how long you had been a padawan before the purge.

3 minutes ago, Noir said:

That could certainly work. That would put you at like 30-40 years old now (if human), depending on how long you had been a padawan before the purge.

Yeah yeah probly in her late thirties at the time the game starts...say she was around the age of obi wan when he was qui gons padawan maybe a bit younger (dont really know how old he was supposed to be)

Okay, I'll throw my hat into the rancorr pit and suggest a mechanic/starship captain, something like Kaylee from Firefly, if she was the captain of the Serenity. :)

Has her own ship, constantly in need of repairs, but it's still a good ship and she's an excellent mechanic/engineer, so she keeps it flying as a (mostly) legitimate trader.

2 hours ago, Sean Cassidy said:

Okay, I'll throw my hat into the rancorr pit and suggest a mechanic/starship captain, something like Kaylee from Firefly, if she was the captain of the Serenity. :)

Has her own ship, constantly in need of repairs, but it's still a good ship and she's an excellent mechanic/engineer, so she keeps it flying as a (mostly) legitimate trader.

Great!

And a couple of small changes to character gen from the book...

1) You will start with 10D in skills (instead of the normal 7D) and you can beak up whole dice into a +1 and a +2 if you like, but they must be in the same category.

2) Everybody gets to pick a skill you have a particular knack for, your 'knack skill'. What this means mechanically is that when raising that skill you skip the +1 pip entirely, allowing the skill to be advanced at a cheaper/faster rate.

example...

Normally raising a skill costs a number of character points equal to the number of dice in the skill. So raising a skill that is currently 4D costs 4 cp and it become 4D+1. Another 4 cp and it go to 4D+2. And another 4 cp and it will become 5D.

Raising your knack skill that is currently 4D costs 4 cp and skips 4D+1 entirely to become 4D+2. Another 4 cp and it will become 5D. 5 more cp and it will become 5D+2. And so on.

Okay. So far we have: a partially trained jedi, a semi-legitimate ship captain who does her own repairs, and a slicer type.

That's 3 which is enough to run the game, but there is still room if anybody else is interested.

And people can always join later as well.

Some notes about characters...

Force Points - Everybody Starts with 1 Force Point. Force Sensitive characters start with an additional Force Point. Spending a Force Point doubles all of your dicepools for a round. If you spend it in an appropriately dramatic and/or heroic fashion, it will tend to come back at the ed of the story and sometimes even bring another Force Point along with it.

Force Sensitive - You can choose to be Force Sensitive during character creation for free. Being Force Sensitive does not mean you need to have any force training at all or ever even have any. You just need to be a little more mindful about not doing bad acts, as you can now earn you Dark Side Points more easily. There are plenty of people who are Force Sensitive and have no training what so ever and never know or knew they were fForce Sensitive. They just thought they were pretty lucky.

After character creation, if you wish to become force sensitive it costs 20 cp.

Character format - You should list the Att and then any skills belong to that Att to which you have added dice at their total dicepool.

For example, if you have 4D Dexterity and you place 2D into Blaster and 1D into Dodge you would express it as...

DEXTERITY 4D

Blaster 6D

Dodge 5D

or...

DEXTERITY 4D: Blaster 6D, Dodge 5D

That total is also what the costs for raising a skill are based on. So it would cost 6 cp to raise 6D Blaster skill to 6D+1, another 6 cp to raise it to 6D+2 and another 6 cp to raise it to 7D and so on

You only need to list the skills you put skill dice into, but some people like to list all the skills as reminders..

Using Base Att in place of Skill - Within reason, and aside from Advanced skills, you can use your base Att to roll for any skill of that Att.

For example,

If you have 2D Mechanical and did not put any dice into Repulsorlift Operation, but grew up or lived on any semi-civilized planet or better, then you could still make a Repulsorlift Operation skill roll at 2D (your base Mechanical) to pilot a speeder, as it is assumed that you have learned to pilot s speeder in the course of your life, but just did not put any particular time or training into it past the basics.

By the same token, if you 3D Technical and did not put any dice into Starship Repair, but grew up primitive planet using sticks and vines and are seeing a starship for the first time in your life, then you are not going to be able to make a Starship Repair roll at 3D (your base Technical) because you have no frame of reference and it is totally alien/foreign to you.

By and large though, you can use your Base Att in place of a skill you have no dice in.

You are fine. I had not introduced you yet to allow you time, but you are on the ship. So complete away. I have sheets for everybody (at least rough sheets)' so all I need now is backgrounds for you and Jer and any other little tweaks you make.

• 11 months later...

Any info about Darth Abhora would be a Jedi Lore, Sith Lore or some other suitable skill. Barring that, being that Kayda was recieving training at the jedi temple, you could default to a straight Knowledge roll on the extremely off chance Kayda heard or saw the name somewhere in her time there.

Since Kayda was being trained at the jedi temple she would have learned (no roll needed for this) that the Jedi wiped out the Sith (or so they thought) roughly 1,000 years ago, though the Sith existed for several thousand years before that.

So the fact that "Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith" is walking around and responsible for the fall of the Jedi and rise of the Empire was a bit of a shocker to the Jedi.

• 2 months later...

Hullo! Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know I'm still keen to play. :)

I am not sure where to go next with our conversation with the Jedi, but it seems like the flirting is still going strong over at the other table.

Maybe a jump to the next scene?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived