Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition (recruiting)

Aphrodite Pandemos

Pathfinder.

Level 1

25 point buy

Average starting gold for your class

Using these books for character creation

• Core Rulebook
  • Advanced Class Guide
  • Advanced Player's Guide
  • Advanced Race Guide (no custom races)
  • Ultimate Combat
  • Ultimate Magic
  • Ultimate Equipment
  • Occult Adventures (please stick to a core or featured race if you use anything out of here)
  • Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition Player's Guide (get it here, it's free. Use it, know it, get a free campaign trait from it :))

Okay, so I am creating an Occultist.  Occultists are (roughly) modeled after the Cleric template (fight like clerics, medium armor and martial weapons, and a bunch of supporty type abilities) and I am taking options that allow me some healing.  I'm not as good at healing as a cleric but I'm not bad so don't anyone feel like they have to take healing powers (although the extra wouldn't hurt).

I am still waffling on Race but it's either going to be human or something with an Intelligence bump.  We shall see and I shall keep you updated... :)

EDIT:  I believe I've settled on Sylph for race.  Male of course.  I've also taken the race option that trades "Air Affinity" (which has no practical use for me) for "Breeze Kissed"  This gives me a shield of swirling wind  that grants +2 AC vs. Ranged attacks or I can channel that wind into a bull rush or trip attack at 30 ' range but loose the ac bonus for 24 hours...

daphne-dreamsong.png

Daphne Dreamsong (not her real name, but the best approximation that still is pronounceable by throats without gills in them.)

Race: Merfolk
Class: 1st level Swashbucker (Favored)
XP: 0

STR    13 +1 (3p)
DEX    18 +4 (10p)
CON    16 +3 (5p)
INT    10 +0 (0p)
WIS    12 +1 (2p)
CHA    16 +3 (5p)

Hit Points: 14 (10 base, +3 Con, +1 Favored)
AC: 19 (10 base, +4 Dex, +2 Armor, +1 buckler, +2 natural)
Initiative: +4

Base Attack Bonus: +1
 - Melee: +2
 - Ranged/Finesse: +5

Saving Throws:
 - Fortitude: +3
 - Reflex: +6
 - Will: +1

Racial Abilities: 

•  +2 Dexterity, Constitution, Charisma
  •  Medium size
  •  Land Speed: 15ft (Strongtail)
  •  Swim Speed: 30 feet (Strongtail)
  •  Aquatic humanoid
  •  Amphibious
  •  Low-Light Vision
  •  +2 natural armor
  •  Legless: Cannot be tripped

Class Abilities:

•  Deeds
  1.  Derring-Do: Spend 1 panache point to add 1d6 to an Acrobatics, Climb, Escape Artist, Fly, Ride, or Swim check. Add an additional die to the roll every time a 6 is rolled.
  2. Dodging Panache: Spend 1 panache point to move 5 feet as an immediate reaction, gaining Charisma bonus (+3) to AC against that one attack. The move provokes attacks of opportunity from attackers other than the one the move is in reaction to.
  3. Opportune Parry & Riposte: Spend 1 panache point to use an attack of opportunity to parry a melee attack, using a normal attack roll. If the attack roll ties or beats the original roll, the attack misses. Daphne takes a -2 to the roll for each size catagory the attacker exceeds her by. If she has a panache point remaining, she may make an immediate counter-attack if the target is within reach.
  •  Panache: Gain 1 panache point upon scoring a critical hit or killing blow with a light or one-handed piercing melee weapon.
  •  Swashbuckler Finesse: Gain Weapon Finesse for light and one-handed piercing weapons, and may use Charisma in place of Intelligence as a prerequisite for combat feats.

Feats:

• Weapon Finesse
  • Weapon Focus: Scimitar (plan to take Slashing Grace for this at 3)
SkillsRanksStatBonusTotal
Acrobatics1+4+3+8
Diplomacy1+3+3+7
Intimidate1+3+3+7
Perception1+1+3+5

Traits:
 - Monster Hunter: Daphne gain +1 on attack and weapon damage rolls against magical beasts and aberrations.

Weapons:
 Rapier (20 gp)
 - To Hit: +5
 - Damage: 1d6+1
 - Critical Range: 18-20/x2

Scimitar (15 gp)
 - To Hit: +2
 - Damage: 1d6+1
 - Critical Range: 18-20/x2

Light Underwater Crossbow (70gp)
 - To Hit: +5
 - Damage: 1d8
 - Critical Range: 

Armor:
 Leather Armor (10 gp)
 - +2 to AC

Buckler (5gp)
 - +1 to AC

Equipment:
 - 41gp, 9 sp
 - Backpack (2 gp)
 - Bedroll (1 sp)
 - 2 week's trail rations (7 gp)
 - 2 sunrods (4 gp)

Background: In the undersea nomadic clans off the coast of Conquorer's Bay, merfolk with longer and broader tails are considered disabled, since the added length makes it difficult for them to swim. As a result of this, Daphne found herself having to strive harder than her peers just to keep up with the rest of Clan Dreamsong. She had no aptitude for cerebral pursuits and was a bit of a hothead, so she had no place amongst the Arcane Schools or the priests of the Seaborne Chant.

An opportunity presented itself when one of the warrior-masters of the Warfare School of a neighbour clan crossed paths with Dreamsong, and shared the secret of what had previously been thought of as the "weaktails" - that with training, discipline and patience, the "weaktails" could learn to slither on land, giving them the opportunity to explore the drylands of Varisa.

Daphne, filled with a purpose and a passion to explore as well as a deep-seated urge to show the others in Clan Dreamsong what she could do, trained in the warrior-master's wake, teaching herself to stand under her own power in the Varisian Gulf. She recently concluded her training, and is now exploring, curious about the monsters that lurk on Dryland and eager to pass along everything she can learn (with perhaps some creative embellishments with regards to her swordsmanship.)

The suggestion in the Advanced Players Guide suggests 2 which is the assumption I went with.  if that is wrong I'm sure BD will correct me.  However you can only have one of the Campaign traits from the Rise of the Runelords players book thingy...

So, what do you have in mind to play Ace (As in what class/race combo)? I just wanna know what we are all working with as a party.

As an aside, I do have my character complete, I'm just writing everything out now...

Still tossing ideas around...and sorry it's taken me so long, I honestly thought I'd posted. Anyway, I said in chat I was interested. :)

Final decision will depend somewhat on what other folks do. Here are quick summaries of the ideas I have now.

1) Either a sorceror (djinn bloodline perhaps) or an air or aether Kineticist. A temperamental young Sandpoint native who left when she was young to protect her family and town from the effects of her magic going uncontrolled. After some time learning control in Magnimar, she's returned to visit and catch up.

2) Arcanist! A visitor from across the sea, come to Sandpoint to study its rich and ancient history of the magic empire of Thassilon.

3) Shaman with Heavens spirit affinity. I have an oddball idea for this character I'll have to chew over with our GM, but mechanically very strong, with some clerical spells, some druid, and some arcane blasts even. A little bit of everything!

Umm not to be a douche, but I am playing a Sylph/Half Djinn and have a moderately strong air theme going.  I don't have a lot of air powers yet but i planned on picking them up whenever they became available...

From the looks of it your going blaster/mage type (we need a strong mage type character) which means the only thing we are lacking is someone with trapfinding.  I can probably fit that bill for the first couple of levels but without the actual trapfinding ability I can't find or disarm magical traps.

Okay, here is my Character's background.  It turned out to be longer than I expercted...

CADUM DARAN

Cadum had always been an odd child.  With his extremely pale complexion and fine blue tattoo-like patterns all over his body, it was difficult for the boy not to stand out.  As he gew older, is behavior began to match his appearance.  He would climb to the top of buildings or tall trees and stay there for hours, letting the wind rush past and around him.  By his 12 summer, the wind had begun to follow him wherever he was; a constant breeze the surrounded him and rustled his clothing and hair.  Needless to say many people did their best to avoid the lad.

Cadum’s father was no stranger to controversy himself.  A known “Adventurer” and treasure hunter, Joram Darran managed to provide a decent life for his son.  Of the boy’s mother there was nothing but rumor and speculation.  When Cadum would ask about his mother, Joram would spin the tale of how, when he was younger, he had found a magical bottle in which lived a beautiful genie maiden. He went on to say that he’d fallen in love with the genie at first site but there was nothing but sadness and despair in the genie’s heart for she was a prisoner of the bottle.  As the new owner of the bottle, the Genie was forced to provide Joram 3 wishes. Once the wishes were used it, and she, would vanish to some other location to await some other person to find her.

Joram struggled to win her heart but it wasn’t until he used 2 of his wishes to save a town ravaged by a supernatural storm that her cold façade began to warm.  Fearing she would leave but risking everything, Joram wished for the genie’s freedom from the bottle.  Joram’s selfless use of his wishes and his roguish charm finally won her over and at last they were together. 

Joram would go on to say that tragically they could not stay together for she was not of this world and did not belong here.  She stayed long enough to bear him a child before reluctantly heading back to the land of the genies.

When he was old enough, Cadum joined his father on his adventures.  While his father hunter for riches, Cadum hunted for knowledge.  Cadum realized that he could sense the history of things and the resonant energy of those who had used or handled the objects.  Furthermore he found he could use that energy himself to create magic of his own.  Now that his father is retired, Cadum is on his own.  He has worked for the Sczarni in the past as a consultant, appraiser and fence and considers them like family.

And here are the Stats

CADUM DARRAN

Sylph Occultist (Neutral goodish?), Level 1 (0Exp)

Strength: 12 (+1), Dexterity: 15 (+2), Constitution: 12 (+1), Intelligence: 18 (+4), Wisdom: 10 (0), Charisma: 14 (+2)

Hit Points: 9, BAB: 0 (+1 Melee, +2 Ranged), AC: 14/15 w. Buckler [16/17 vs. Ranged] (12 Touch, 12/13 Flat Footed [14/15 vs. Ranged]), Fort Save: +4, Ref Save: +2, Will Save: +3, CMB: +1, CMD: +3

SKILLS

Appraise: 1 (Rank) +4 (Int) +3 =8

Disable Device: 1 (Rank) +2 (Dex) +3 =6

Knowledge-Arcana: 1 (Rank) +4 (Int) +3 =8

Knowledge-History: 1 (Rank) +4 (Int) +3 =8

Knowledge-Local: 1 (Rank) +4 (Int) +1 (Talent) +3 =9

Perception: 1 (Rank) +0 (Wis), +3 =4

Sleight of Hand: 1 (Rank) +2 (Dex), +3 =6

Use Magic Device: 1 (Rank), +2 (Cha) +3 =6

RACIAL ABILITIES

Native Outsider: Sylphs are outsiders with the native subtype.

Medium: Sylphs are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Normal Speed: Sylphs have a base speed of 30 feet.

Darkvision: Sylphs can see in the dark up to 60 feet.

Spell-Like Ability: Feather fall 1/day (caster level equals the sylph’s total level).

Energy Resistance: Sylphs have electricity resistance 5.

Breeze-Kissed: Breezes seem to follow most sylphs wherever they go, but some sylphs are better able to control these winds than others. A sylph with this racial trait surrounds herself with swirling winds, gaining a +2 racial bonus to AC against non-magical ranged attacks. The sylph can calm or renew these winds as a swift action. Once per day, the sylph can channel this wind into a single gust, making a bull rush or trip combat maneuver attempt against one creature within 30 feet. Whether or not the attempt succeeds, the winds are exhausted and no longer provide a bonus to the sylph’s AC for 24 hours. This is a supernatural ability.

CLASS ABILITIES

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An occultist is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Focus Powers (Su): At 1st level, an occultist learns the base focus power from both of his two implement schools (see Implements below) and can select one more focus power from the list of those available to him through those schools. Whenever the occultist learns a new implement school, he gains the base power of that school. In addition, at 3rd level and every 2 levels thereafter, he learns a new focus power selected from the options granted by all of the implement schools he knows. The occultist can use focus powers only by expending mental focus (see Mental Focus on page 48).

Unless otherwise noted, the DC for any saving throw against a focus power equals 10 + 1/2 the occultist’s level + the occultist’s Intelligence modifier. The occultist can’t select a focus power more than once. Some focus powers require him to reach a specific occultist level before he can choose them.

Implements (Su): At 1st level, an occultist learns to use two implement schools. At 2nd level and every 4 occultist levels thereafter, the occultist learns to use one additional implement school, to a maximum of seven schools at 18th level.

Conjuration Implements: Bowl, brazier, compass, figurine, lantern, mirror.

Transmutation Implements: Belt, boots, sandals, vest, weapon.

Knacks: An occultist learns one knack, or 0-level psychic spell, each time he selects an implement school (including when he again selects a school that he has already learned to use). These spells are cast like any other spell, but they can be cast any number of times per day. Knacks cast using any other spell slots because of metamagic feats applied to them, for example, consume spell slots as normal.

Mental Focus (Su): 5. an occultist can invest a portion of his mental focus into his chosen implements for the day, allowing him to utilize a variety of abilities depending on the implements and the amount of mental focus invested in them. An occultist has a number of points of mental focus equal to his occultist level + his Intelligence modifier; these points refresh each day. He can divide this mental focus between his implements in any way he desires. If an implement is lost or destroyed, the focus invested in it is lost as well, though the occultist still refreshes those points of focus normally.

Once mental focus is invested inside an implement, the implement gains the resonant power of its implement school (see page 50), and the occultist can expend the mental focus stored in the implement to activate the associated focus powers he knows. If a resonant power grants a bonus that varies based on the amount of mental focus invested in the implement, the bonus is determined when the focus is invested, and is not reduced or altered by expending the mental focus invested in the item. Once all of the mental focus in an implement has been expended, it loses its resonant power until mental focus is once again invested in the implement.

The implement grants its resonant power to whoever possesses it; the occultist can lend the implement to an ally to assist that ally, but if he does so, he has difficulty casting that implement’s spells (see Implements on page 47) and can’t expend that implement’s focus on focus powers until he retrieves the implement or refreshes his focus.

The occultist refreshes his mental focus once each day after receiving at least 8 hours of sleep. After refreshing his mental focus, the occultist must spend 1 hour preparing his implements and investing them with this power. Mental focus that is not used before the next time the occultist refreshes his focus is lost.

The occultist can choose to save generic mental focus inside his own body instead of investing all of it, but expending this focus comes at a higher cost. Any focus power the occultist activates with generic focus costs twice as much mental focus to use (and to maintain, if applicable). The occultist can expend his generic focus through an appropriate implement on any focus power he knows, but an implement he didn’t invest any focus in at the start of the day grants no resonant power.

Spells: See Spell Section Below

FEATS

Airy Step

The air responds to your innate elemental nature, protecting you from harm and cushioning your falls.

Prerequisite: Sylph.

Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on saving throws against effects with the air or electricity descriptors and effects that deal electricity damage. You may ignore the first 30 feet of any fall when determining falling damage.

TRAITS

Air Touched: You share an affinity with elemental air. You gain DR 1/— against creatures and attacks with the air type.

Family Ties: While not ethnically a Varisian, you have been raised among Varisians and they consider you one of their own. Furthermore, you managed to get in good with a group of Sczarni and consider them your new family. After being run out of the last place your Sczarni family camped, you tracked down a friend of the family in Sandpoint—a ruthless thug named Jubrayl Vhiski at the Fatman’s Feedbag. During your time with the Sczarni, you learned a few tricks of the trade. You gain a +1 trait bonus on Knowledge (local) checks and Knowledge (local) is always a class skill for you. In addition, you begin play able to speak and read Varisian.

KNACKS

Mage Hand

School transmutation; Level bard 0, sorcerer/wizard 0

Casting Time 1 standard action

Components V, S

Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

Target one nonmagical, unattended object weighing up to 5 lbs.

Duration concentration

Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no

You point your finger at an object and can lift it and move it at will from a distance. As a move action, you can propel the object as far as 15 feet in any direction, though the spell ends if the distance between you and the object ever exceeds the spell’s range.

Stabilize

School conjuration (healing); Level cleric 0, druid 0

Components V, S

Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

Target one living creature

Duration instantaneous

Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless); Spell Resistance: yes (harmless)

Upon casting this spell, you target a living creature that has –1 or fewer hit points. That creature is automatically stabilized and does not lose any further hit points. If the creature later takes damage, it continues dying normally.

SPELLS (1st: 2/day)

1st Level (Save DC: 15)

Cure Light Wounds

School conjuration (healing); Level bard 1, cleric 1, druid 1, paladin 1, ranger 2

Components V, S

Range touch

Target creature touched

Duration instantaneous

Saving Throw Will half (harmless); see text; Spell Resistance yes (harmless); see text

When laying your hand upon a living creature, you channel positive energy that cures 1d8 points of damage + 1 point per caster level (maximum +5). Since undead are powered by negative energy, this spell deals damage to them instead of curing their wounds. An undead creature can apply spell resistance, and can attempt a Will save to take half damage.

Gravity Bow

School transmutation; Level ranger 1, sorcerer/wizard 1

Components V, S

Range personal

Target you

Duration 1 minute/level (D)

Gravity bow significantly increases the weight and density of arrows or bolts fired from your bow or crossbow the instant before they strike their target and then return them to normal a few moments later. Any arrow fired from a bow or crossbow you are carrying when the spell is cast deals damage as if one size larger than it actually is. For instance, an arrow fired from a Medium longbow normally deals 1d8 points of damage, but it would instead deal 2d6 points of damage if fired from a gravity bow (see page 145 of the Core Rulebook for more information). Only you can benefit from this spell. If anyone else uses your bow to make an attack the arrows deal damage as normal for their size.

FOCUS ABILITIES (Save DC: 14)

Conjuring

Casting Focus (Su) (Resonant): The implement empowers the bearer’s ties to the worlds beyond, allowing his spells to maintain their power for a longer period of time. The bearer can add the implement as an additional focus component to any conjuration spell he casts that has a duration measured in rounds per level. If he does so, he adds 1 to his caster level for every 2 points of mental focus stored in the implement (to a maximum bonus equal to your occultist level). This increase applies only when determining the duration of the spell. Apply this increase after other effects that adjust a spell’s duration, such as Extend Spell.

Servitor (Sp) (Base): As a standard action, you can expend 1 point of mental focus to summon a servitor. This ability functions as summon monster I, but you can use it only to summon a single creature, and the effect lasts for 1 minute. At 4th level and every 3 levels thereafter, the level of the summon monster spell increases by 1, to a maximum of summon monster VII at 19th level. You can’t have more than one servitor in effect at a time. At any time, you can expend 1 point of mental focus as a free action to extend the duration of an active servitor by 1 minute.

Transmutation

Physical Enhancement (Su) (Resonant): The implement enhances its bearer’s body. When you invest mental focus in the implement, select a physical ability score. The implement grants a +2 temporary enhancement bonus to that physical ability score for every 3 points of mental focus invested in the implement (to a maximum of +2 at 1st level, plus an additional 2 for every 6 occultist levels you possess).

Legacy Weapon (Su) (Base): As a standard action, you can expend 1 point of mental focus and touch a weapon to grant it an enhancement bonus. The bonus is equal to 1 + 1 for every 6 occultist levels you possess (to a maximum of +4 at 18th level). Enhancement bonuses gained by this ability stack with those of the weapon, to a maximum of +5. You can also imbue the weapon with any one weapon special ability with an equivalent enhancement bonus less than or equal to your maximum bonus by reducing the granted enhancement bonus by the appropriate amount. The item must have an enhancement bonus of at least +1 (from the item itself or from legacy weapon) to gain a weapon special ability. In either case, these bonuses last for 1 minute.

Size Alteration (Sp): As a standard action, you can expend 1 point of mental focus and touch a creature to alter its size. You can increase or decrease the creature’s size by one step, as enlarge person or reduce person but not limited by the creature’s type. If the creature is hostile toward you, using this ability requires a successful melee touch attack, and the creature can attempt a Fortitude save to negate the effect. This effect lasts for 1 round per occultist level you possess. You can’t use this ability on a creature that is already subject to an effect that alters its size.

Thanks for the heads up Jordan . If thats the case then is it two as well as the campaign or just two?  To answer your other question I was planning  on doing a magus. I am close to finishing him. I only needed to do his back story. I was planning on doing a magical archeologist style character. Yet if we need a rouge then I can create a new character. That could also fit the theme but in a different style. It will just take me a bit before I post it if you guys want me to do that or another type we need. If someone else wants to do that role and we have all the other roles filled out then I would like to go with my first choice.

To be honest, that would be BDs call.  While I read the original adventure path aeons ago (when it was designed for D&D 3.5) I really don't recall much about it.  if there aren't a lot of traps/magical traps in the game then I say screw it.  If there are, but they appear later in the series, then one of us can always multiclass.  Cadum has a very good excuse to go Rogue....that's what his dad was.

Yeah I actually discover last night that there is a subclass for bard that is actually called archeologist. Its a bit interesting yet I personally don't like the fact the bard has little in offensive magic. He appears mostly a support character from what I seen. Then again the bards I played so far been more on support then offensive. Yet it could be interesting none the less. I see one of my other characters I am working on to fill that role. Basically I am working on figuring out a group of characters for various ideas and other rp I rarely get into.

I originally was going to say only one campaign trait, but I am not adverse to having a second trait that is not a campaign trait. So you get a campaign trait from the RotRAE Player's Guide and one trait from any of the approved books.

Do remember, trapfinder classes are the only one who can find magical traps and traps above a certain DC.

Jordan, the only thing I find questionable about your sheet is the alignment. Alignment is very static in this game. There is no "ish" :P

Hee yeah, I am. Just suffering from option overload here. :)

I will probably go with the arcanist I think, unless we're in serious need of someone who can heal. My background idea for the shaman is a bit too out there, I have come to decide. Too distanced from the game's story and from the other characters.

I'll throw some mechanics together today and see what y'all think. :)

I am still here. I got the stats of my character done, but not the rest posted down so I can send it. As I said I am hoping to do a magus, but if we need another class I can build a cleric. Anyway here is the bare bones of the character at least stat wise and tell me what you think.

Character Name: Cad Hugh

Race: Human

Alignment: Neutral Good

Class: Magus (favored)

Strenght  16, Dexterity 14, Consistution 14, Intelligence 16, Wisdom 10, Charisma 10

H.P.: 10,  Initiative: +2, Fortitude: +4, Reflex: +2, Will: +2, C.M.B.: +3, C.M.D.: 15

Skills: Climb 1 +7, Swim 1 +7, Knowledge: Arcana 1 +8, Knowledge: Dungeioneering 1 +7, Knowledge: History 1 +6, Use Magic device 1 +5, Favor: Spellcraft 1 +7

Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Goblin, Thassiloniah

Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (katana), Extra Cantrips

Traits: Scholar of the ancients, Dangerously Curious

Spells:

(spell cast per day: 1st. 2, 2nd. 1, 3rd. 1)

Cantrips: Detect Magic, Light, Ray of frost, Read Magic, acid splash

1st level: Burning hands Magic Missle, Feather Fall, Vanish, Mount, Shield

Special: Arcane Pool (4), Spell Combat

Arcane Pool

At 1st level, the magus gains a reservoir of mystical arcane energy that he can draw upon to fuel his powers and enhance his weapon. This arcane pool has a number of points equal to 1/2 his magus level (minimum 1) + his Intelligence modifier. The pool refreshes once per day when the magus prepares his spells.
At 1st level, a magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool as a swift action to grant any weapon he is holding a +1 enhancement bonus for 1 minute. For every four levels beyond 1st, the weapon gains another +1 enhancement bonus, to a maximum of +5 at 17th level. These bonuses can be added to the weapon, stacking with existing weapon enhancement to a maximum of +5. Multiple uses of this ability do not stack with themselves. At 5th level, these bonuses can be used to add any of the following weapon properties: dancingflamingflaming burstfrosticy burstkeenshockshocking burstspeed, or vorpal. Adding these properties consumes an amount of bonus equal to the property’s base price modifier. These properties are added to any the weapon already has, but duplicates do not stack. If the weapon is not magical, at least a +1 enhancement bonus must be added before any other properties can be added. These bonuses and properties are decided when the arcane pool point is spent and cannot be changed until the next time the magus uses this ability. These bonuses do not function if the weapon is wielded by anyone other than the magus.
A magus can only enhance one weapon in this way at one time. If he uses this ability again, the first use immediately ends.

Spell Combat:

At 1st level, a magus learns to cast spells and wield his weapons at the same time. This functions much like two-weapon fighting, but the off-hand weapon is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability, the magus must have one hand free (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components), while wielding a light or one-handed melee weapon in the other hand. As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his melee weapon at a –2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty). If he casts this spell defensively, he can decide to take an additional penalty on his attack rolls, up to his Intelligence bonus, and add the same amount as a circumstance bonus on his concentration check. If the check fails, the spell is wasted, but the attacks still take the penalty. A magus can choose to cast the spell first or make the weapon attacks first, but if he has more than one attack, he cannot cast the spell between weapon attacks.

Equipment:

Katana (50 g.p, 1d8 slashing damage, Critical: 18-20 2x, 6 lbs., Special: Deadly)

Studded Leather Armor (25 g.p., Armor Bonus +3, Maximum Dex. Bonus +5, Armor Check Penalty -1, Speed 30/20 ft., 25 lbs.)

spell book 15 g.p. 5 lbs., Spell component pouch 5 g.p. 2 lbs., Explorer's Outfit 10 g.p. 8 lbs., Backpack 2 g.p. 2 lbs., water skin 1 g.p. 4 lbs., hemp rope 1 g.p. 10 lbs., Trail ration (8 days) 1 g.p. Whetstone 2 c.p. 1 lbs., pouch 1 g.p. 1/2 lbs., Ink pen 1 s.p. , Ink (1 oz. vial) 8 g.p. 

coin remaining: 3 g.p., 9 s.p., 8 c.p.

Aright, SO: I'm weighing an investigator, since I want to give them a shot and since it would help find the traps we need to find. But that would put us as four out of four characters heavy on Int. Is this going to be a problem - especially since the Investigator's big deal is "really, really, really good at skills," and others might not like being shown up at their own game?

Skill-wise, the big things my character is focusing on are Knowledge History, Knowledge Arcana and Use Magic Device. My class is pretty much themed around knowing about history and and artifacts and stuff, but the investigator would be a cool addition to the party

Okay, here is my second character, who will be handling traps. High INT, but I'll be levelling the Dex to get some Two-Weapon Fighting going, and she's going to be plenty smart regardless.

alice-chalk.png

Alice Chalk

Player: Charlotte

Race: Half-Elf

Class: 1st level Investigator (favored)

- Favored Bonus: +1/4 to inspiration rolls

Class Archtypes:

- Investigator: Default

XP: 0 / 0

Attributes:

STR 10 (+0) (0p)

DEX 17 (+3) (7p) (Racial +2)

CON 14 (+2) (5p)

INT 16 (+3) (10p)

WIS 14 (+2) (5p)

CHA 10 (+0) (0p)

Hit Points: 10 (8 base, +2 Con)

Inspiration: 3 (+3 Int, +1/2 Investigator)

AC: 15 (10 base, +3 Dex, +2 Leather)

Initiative: +3

Base Attack: +0

• Melee: +0
  • Ranged/Finesse: +3

Racial Abilities:

• +2 to any one stat
  • Medium Size
  • 30 ft base speed
  • Languages: Common, Elven, Goblin, Dwarven, Orcish
  • Elven Immunities: Immune to magical sleep spells, +2 racial bonus against enchantment spells
  • Keen Senses: +2 racial bonus to Perceptions
  • Low-Light Vision: See twice as far in dim light
  • Elf Blood: Count as elf or human for any effect related to race
  • Adaptability: Gain Skill Focus as a bonus feat.
  • Multitalented: Choose two favored classes (investigator, swashbuckler)

Class Abilities:

•  Alchemy: Trained in the creation of alchemical substances and magical extracts. Gains a competence bonus equal to level on all Craft (alchemy) checks to create an alchemical item. May identify potions as if using Detect Magic. Crafts the equivalent of prepared spells in the form of extracts (see below.)
  • Inspiration: May augment skill checks and ability checks through an inspiration pool equal to 1/2 investigator level + Intelligence. As a free action, may expend a use of inspiration to add 1d6 to the result of any skill check, after check is rolled but before results are revealed.
    May use inspiration on any trained Knowledge, Linguistics, or Spellcraft check without expending a use of inspiration.
  • Trapfinding: Adds 1/2 level to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device checks. May use Disable Device to disarm magical traps.

Traits:

• Merchant Family: Increase effective gp limit of any settlement by 20% and may resell items at an additional 10%.
  • Tireless Logic: Once per day, can roll twice and take the better result on an Intelligence related check.

Feats:

• Skill Focus: Perception
  • Weapon Finesse

Skills: 9 SP (6 Investigator, 3 Int)

Skill Name

Total

Ranks

Attribute

Trained?

Misc Bonus

Craft (Alchemy)

+3

+3

+1 comp

Disable Device

+3

+3

+1 investigator

Knowledge (Geography)

+3

+3

+0

Knowledge (local)

+3

+3

+0

Heal

+2

+3

+0

Perception

Finding Traps: 12

+2

+3

+2 race, +1 investigator, +3 feat

Sense Motive

+2

+3

+0

Stealth

+3

+3

+0

Spellcraft

+3

+3

+0

Alchemical Extracts

Extracts Per Day:

1)  2 (Prepared: Shield, one empty)

Extracts Known:

1)  Heightened Awareness, Crafter's Fortune, Shield, Identify, Cure Light Wounds

Weapons

• Rapier (+3 to hit, 1d6 damage, 18-20/x2 critical) (20gp)

• Dagger (+3 to hit, 1d4 damage, 19-20/x2 critical) (2gp)
  • Shortbow (+3 to hit, 1d6 damage, x3 critical) (30gp)
  • 20 arrows (1gp)

Armor

Leather Armor (+2 AC, no ACP) (10gp)

Equipment:

• Gold: 8 gp, 4 sp
  • Thieves' Tools (30gp)
  • Bedroll (1sp)
  • Trail Rations (1 week's) (3.5 gp)

Background:

Alice was always a smart child, silently watching and learning in the background while things played out in front of her. Her father was a merchant, and her mother was an alchemist, and Alice took after both trades exceedingly well.

One of the most formative experiences of her life was when her father was kidnapped, and her mother brought in an investigator to deduce where he'd gone. Using careful deduction, the investigator led local law enforcement directly to the hideout where Mr. Chalk was being held, and he was recovered safely. The incident left an impression upon young Alice, and she decided that solving crimes was what she wanted to do for a living.

Sadly, having grown up, Alice has discovered that evidence without the will to convict means nothing, and she found herself on the outs with local law enforcement despite having gathered clear evidence of price fixing among mercantile houses. She has found herself leaving the larger metropolis of the land to get her bearings in a smaller town. Perhaps she'll try adventuring next?

Archived