MAGE 20 - The Tomorrow Unknown - By Moonlight Pale and Blue

MAGE20 ST

Kaitlin shifted her weight from one foot to the other, then crossed her arms below her breasts as she gave Akemi and Triessa a wide-eyed, dumbfounded look - Cade wasn't spared either. Her mother had died when she was very young and she had been raised by her father alone. She'd heard other girls talking in school of course, but she'd skipped the dances and prom, even graduation. The idea of spending an hour - more than hour - on just hair and make-up was inconceivable to her. And she'd never worn a dress in her life, at least as long as she'd been dressing herself, which mostly consisted of t-shirts, jeans, and shorts from thrift shops.

"Uh... Um... Okay?" Kaitlin grimaced, looking almost feral and trapped. "Fine!" She was quiet for a long moment, then added in a small voice, "I'm gonna need help with all that."

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If given the choice, Aja would live his life with sneakers, gym shorts, regular socks, and t-shirts. Unfortunately, life did not, with its obsession on appearances and formality, allow him this deserved luxury. So dress slacks, cashmere collar shirt, belt, dress shoes. That was the best he could work with, and he would have to go along to make sure nobody tried to foist on him a tie.

Neck-choking, itchy, tight Paradox entities! They were - and no one would tell Aja Klarfeld otherwise. Well, they might, but he wouldn't believe them.

"It's not my thing either, Kaitlin. But I'm going to have to come along, lest you people try to make me wear something even worse."

"All right, let's get dolled up. But really, we should have a game plan. I'm getting the impression that a point-blank 'What aren't you telling us about the disappearance' is... less than ideal."

The speed with which Mia had called Cade after the meeting with Simon occurred to him, as well as the circumstances. "Also... maybe we should stop naming names. There's every possibility that uh... You-Know-Who -yeah, laugh it up- has set up some sort of sympathetic magical surveillance."

"Fine!" Kaitlin repeated, shaking an arm over her head in exasperation. The look she shot Cade and Akemi was slightly cross. "If you knew how long it took to get ready for a fancy-shmancy dinner, why'd we even bother wasting the time to drive out here?"

Kaitlin's amber eyes narrowed as she glared towards the Plantation house. Even adding another hour and a half to their prep-time, though if it was going to take an hour - or more! - just for hair and make-up, who knew how long it was going to take to get dresses and suits and whatever else they needed, that would still leave them with almost thirty minutes to look around. She frowned. If anything, that would look more suspicious, stepping in, then leaving so soon.

She grunted in annoyance. "Let's go then. Girls in one vehicle, guys in the other and get all pretty for the restaurant and... the executor." She gave Montrose a shrug. "I think if we've been surveilled and haven't noticed yet, we've given up enough already by this point."

Pulling out her smartphone as she headed back towards her Jeep and starting to use the entirely mundane Magick of Google, she glanced over at Cade and Akemi, who were the most familiar with New Orleans among them. "Do either of you know where we should go to get all this fancy shit?"

• 2 weeks later...

Cade took them shopping. He steered clear of the more trendy specialized stores and the manged to find clothes for the men all at one place. The women however took a bit more. Four stores to find three dresses, two to get shoes and purses/accessories, and a jewelry store, all in under two hours. Two more hours spent at Astrarium House doing hair, makeup, and getting dressed allowed them to arrive at the restaurant on time and looking fantastic.

20668-Colorful-Summer-Cocktail-Dress.jpgaea3af64c51e679aa9f53e62812995ad.thumb.jWSJ4111002A_20141110115234606.jpg.12199b

Triessa's Dress                                                                                                                   Akemii's Dress                                                                                                             Kaitlin's Dress                                                      

The Commanders Palace like so many of New Orleans old establishments has a dated and quaint look as if you had traveled back in time to the 1950s or 60s. Simon who drove you here in the van drops you off in front and then parks the Van. He does not join you . As you enter the Restaurant you see other patrons and draw a good amount of attention. Easily you are the most attractive group in the place.

They were shown to their table in a private dining area and as they approached Mia who was already seated, stood and came up greeting them.

“OH. MY. GOD. You all look absolutely fantastic!” She grabs Kaitlin gently and sort of spins her around. “Mmm yummy I could just eat you all up.” Her laughter is sparkling but it sends chills down spines.. She goes to her chair and stands as waiters come and seat everyone in what seems random seating which places Kaitlin and Akemi on her sides, with Cade beside Kaitlin and Montrose by Akemi. Triessa finds herself sitting on Cades right with Aja on hers.

Drinks are ordered and menus presented.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1eotlyio3mx09k7/Commanders_Dinner_January%281%29.pdf?dl=0

“Well I don't know about y'all s day but mine was trying. What with funeral details and everything. Horrible day. But I hear you all had great success. So tell me how did it go?

Cade was quite pleased with how the ladies ended up looking, they really were dressed for the occasion and he himself had dressed well.  He did his best to not allow any emotion to register when she mentioned the funeral details, and focused on assembling his thoughts on how their day went.   "Fairly standard, to be honest.  We found some answers, and gained new questions at nearly double the rate."   he kept his tone light and abit casual, to keep the conversation pleasant.  "Teamwork prevailed, and what minor injuries were sustained were not beyond our means to deal with quickly and relatively painlessly."  That much was true at least. 

He wondered about the seating arrangements, simply because they weren't as he'd have done them, but perhaps changing something so minor was part of whatever plan Mia had, getting them all outside any comfort zones they had. 

Having been raised by a widowed father since she was six, Kaitlin had grown up a tomboy. She had never owned a dress that she could remember, or worn a pair of heels. She hadn't bothered with dances at school and had scoffed at female school mates that wasted hours of their lives getting ready for them. With no skill of her own with make-up, Kaitlin had to use the discipline earned working Magick to not fidget as Akemi applied cosmetics to her face, even the light, tasteful amount that she did.

But when she saw the results in the mirror afterwards, Kaitlin admitted that the girls at school might be on to something, though she'd never admit it aloud. She looked gorgeous! Dynamite! Subtle cosmetics emphasized her amber eyes, which along with her hair, were complemented by the golden belt about her trim waist and the gold collar at the neck of her dress and the woven gold bracelet about a strong wrist.

She was a tall, athletic woman - taller and more fit than she may have originally intended - and it wasn't easy to find well-fitted clothes on short notice. The bold red dress might have been a bit tight across the bust and thanks to her long legs the hem stopped shorter of her knees that it was supposed to, but its simple, clean lines lent her a sophistication she didn't possess on her own.

The only pair of matching shoes they had found for her big feet and red dress was a set of strappy, cool metallic gold sandals with a four inch heel. Completely impractical and it had taken all her enhanced agility and some arcane physiological and mental manipulation to be able to maneuver so naturally in them so soon, but they made her legs look amazing, powerful, yet elegant, at the same time. They also made her an intimidatingly tall six-foot-six.

Kaitlin didn't believe she'd ever actually like dressing up like this, but she couldn't bring herself to say 'never again'.

She wasn't sure how Mia managed to spin her around to get a look at her when the top of her head didn't even reach her shoulder. Kaitlin noted the way the waiter glanced at her as he seated her next to Mia and let a subdued grin cross her lips. All dressed up, she fit right in - mostly  - in the elegant. '50s decor. There was a restaurant or two in Dubois, Wyoming that were furnished in an older style, but they were more like 1800s saloons.

Kaitlin looked over the menu, ordered the filet of Black Angus Beef, and resisted the urge to order two of the 8 oz. steaks. Would probably draw the wrong sort of attention - she'd just get something more later. She let Cade talk, then after the waiters brought them their drinks and withdrew, she added her own two cents, rather directly. The decor helped contain sound from traveling.

"We did run into one of Tobias Gaunt's... goons? Minions? Is he someone who would have actual minions? We ran into one of them at Mather's place. We took care of him and the elemental that he rode in on. Or was it the other way around. Oh, and we found Mather's familiar, and interestingly enough, that his Sanctum is tied to those at Astrarium House." Kaitlin's amber eyes narrowed questioningly. "I'm wondering if you knew anything about this or just how dead Mather supposedly is."

Mia's smile falters a tad as Kaitlin speaks but just as quick it's back in place.

"Tobias Gaunt, that fuck, Hmm we will have to look into that." She say quickly without much thought as she puts a hand over Kaitlin's on the table. "You got into the House? Sanctum's?" She looks around at everyone the smile obviously strained now her grip tightening on Kaitlin's to the point of discomfort. "How on earth did Y'all do that?" There is strain in Mia's voice.

Well well well. Wasn't expecting that, were you, Mia? Aja studied her expression quietly, searching for signs of exposure. "Oh, the door to Mather's sanctum in the Astraeum House is linked to a door in his home. What, is this news to you, Mia?" Aja chose to leave the part about the familar's agitation about it all out for the moment.

Over the course of the afternoon and evening, Montrose had worked to still his body's responses to the itchy fabric. Something about cotton just make him shift uncomfortably. Still, it was useful in that the discomfort of the suit into which he had essentially been poured kept his mind focused. Under normal circumstances the too-short skirts on the ladies and slightly taut fit of the shirt across Hitman's chest might have distracted him, but embracing the infernal irritation between his shoulder blades and not scratching helped him pay attention to Mia's words and actions.

"Yeah. Things got a little... unexpected back there," he said as he looked over the cocktail list, forcing nonchalance into his voice. "So how do you think Gaunt and Mather are connected? And should I get a scotch or bourbon?"

"Gulf fish seems so vague," Triessa muses as she inspects the menu. She positively reveled in her dress...she loved the colors and the way the fabric seemed to ripple as she moved. It was a silly decadence, of course, but it felt like she was wearing a crazy rainbow and that was cool! That led her to wondering if she could actually work out a magic for that. Weaving a rainbow into something someone could wear? Huh! Wild!

"I mean, there's got to be more than one kind of fish that lives in the gulf." She read the entry more carefully, then said, "Oh. Crab. Well...why not call it Gulf crab then? We already have a perfectly good word for that, why use a different one?"

Then Triessa looked over the top of her menu at the developing fracas.

"Uh oh. I hope this isn't awkward, Mia. There was so much weird in that place...we really honestly don't know what you knew about, and what you didn't."

Kaitlin glanced down when Mia placed her hand over hers. Her own was at least half again as big as Mia's dainty hand, strong from years of climbing and parkour, yet Mia was squeezing hard enough that Kaitlin could feel it growing uncomfortable. Mia seemed more concerned about them getting in the house than the elemental they faced... Kaitlin wondered idly if Mia was gay. Growing up in a tiny, rural town in Wyoming, Kaitlin didn't have much experience with such.

Not that she had any real issue with it. There was something magickal in the intimate, physical connection between two people, regardless of their respective genders. Kaitlin just wasn't sure what was involved when a cock wasn't in the mix. Though to be fair, with Magick at hand, she supposed one wasn't necessary to experience mind blowing intimacy. And if she really wanted a cock involved, Kaitlin was sure she could arrange it by manipulating the Pattern of Life itself...

Which didn't need any bearing on at the moment. Kaitlin sipped her whiskey - the waiter had seemed about to ask for identification, but had wilted under her uncanny, amber eyed gaze - as the others spoke, saying little with even fewer details. Time to beat out some details and see if it flushes anything from Mia...

"Very weird and unexpected, there," Kaitlin agreed. "When we got there, Mather's place looked like it had stolen from a Tim Burton film, Edward Scissorhands or Bettlejuice maybe. And there was a fucking Grim Reaper-looking spirit standing guard on the veranda." Kaitlin took another sip of whiskey and watched for any reaction from Mia from the corner of her eye, and paid attention to Mia's grip on her hand. "Before we could decide what to do 'bout it, Boogie, Gaunt's shitstain showed up with a token that released a massive, bound elemental."

Kaitlin set down her tumbler with a precise thud and gestured at her companions. "Not sure what all happened during the fight, but it was harder to take down than a werewolf." She nodded at Triessa and Aja. "I think they mentioned maybe seeing a Paradox spirit, but I didn't see it and next thing I know, there's a genuine Spirit of Life there and it drags the elemental down into the earth with it."

Kaitlin took a deep breath, which stretched the neck of her dress, revealing more firm cleavage, then lets out a low whistle. "Landscape goes from creepy Burton to pretty Disney and when I look, the spirit on the veranda is gone. The mystic energy of that place is pretty intense, Mia. I think the house, or the Node, or some genius loci of the place actually helped us. Whatever it was, we were able to simply walk in afterward. As for the Sanctum..."

Kaitlin arched a brow at her fellow Mages, seeing if any of them wanted to explain.

2 hours ago, Kaitlin Vandussen said:

"Very weird and unexpected, there," Kaitlin agreed. "When we got there, Mather's place looked like it had stolen from a Tim Burton film, Edward Scissorhands or Bettlejuice maybe. And there was a fucking Grim Reaper-looking spirit standing guard on the veranda." Kaitlin took another sip of whiskey and watched for any reaction from Mia from the corner of her eye, and paid attention to Mia's grip on her hand. "Before we could decide what to do 'bout it, Boogie, Gaunt's shitstain showed up with a token that released a massive, bound elemental."

Mia snaps her head back to Kaitlin, her grip tightens painfully then realizing what she is doing she slides her hand away, laying it flat on the table.

Cade's own order was the Gulf Fish, which he knew was likely redfish, as it was easily the most popular, especially prepared this way.  "It's Redfish, Triessa, a fish that's incredibly good served in a number of ways.  If it were Flounder or Trout, it would likely say so, and cost even more."  He commented politely, though his attention was more on Mia's reactions.  He ordered sweet tea, forsaking alcohol because he wanted his wits about him for this.

"Not just a bound Elemental, it seemed to encase Booggie himself and only the unraveling of the magic freed him, and left him as a human being."

"After he was subdued the area lost it's deathly stagnant aura and became much like the Louisiana I know.  We entered the house and found our way to his sanctum, in the company of Equinox, a cat I can only assume is a familiar, which does beg the question, who is it a familiar to?"

"Within the Sanctum was another door, which lead us back home, through the black door."

"It says it's crab though," Triessa says, squinting at the menu again, then shrugs. "But I guess that does turn red when you cook it."

"Anyway! Yep, the Sanctum was pretty intense. Loads of magic all gathered in one spot. I'm kind of surprised Paradox hasn't eaten the whole thing yet, honestly."

Without directly controlling her autonomic responses and physical tells, Kaitlin couldn't conceal her surprise at Mia's intensity and lack of drawling, Southern accent. Her dark brows furrowed, then lowered over her amber eyes as she watched Mia glaring at Triessa. Kaitlin finished her drink and set the tumbler aside, not worried about how fast she had finished the drink - she'd only get drunk if she allowed herself to.

"The first we saw of Simon was after coming out the Black Door into Astrarium House. He was coming down the hallway of Sanctums... almost as if alerted." She paused and cocked her head to the side. "Who - or what - is Simon, really?"

Mia frowns and looks back at Kaitlin, sighs heavily. "A fucking judge. You know, " she looks around the table again at all of you, "You all look so damned good Its a shame to waste such a beautiful bunch of young people on this tired old restaurant. I think we can do better."

She grips the edge of the table with both hands her eyes turn black, and before any one can say or do anything the magic swallows them...

... and they are at at able in a much darker room the heavy throb of a industrial bass beat rattles their bones. The sudden change of environment the sensations of being where you wern't and the smell of exotic smoke cause confusion.

Mia blinks out of existence and only her voice remains. "Tata, enjoy."

Four or five individuals step into the circle of light around their table. Three men and One woman the fifth is so hideously deformed that gender isn't even an issue.

The woman steps closer. " Fucking Hogwarts." then they open their mouths and reveal their fangs...

Vampires, she sent us to a goddamn vampire bar.  I am going to have "Words" with her when we get out of here...

Those were the thoughts running through his mind.  He'd left his guns at home like an idiot, there really hadn't been any place for them, though he wasn't unarmed.  He had a stilletto between his shoulder blades, and a small throwing blade at his ankle.   Thank God he never went completely unarmed save on a plane.  He looked at the bloodsuckers and gave them a thin smile.  "There's been a slight error.   It seems we were sent here against our will.  If you'd allow us safe passage out, no one here has to be bothered."  There was an edge to his voice, his personal discomfort was palpable. 

"We'd just like to leave, peaceably."  This was easily the most polite he'd been to a Vampire since becoming a mage, and it was definitely a one-shot deal.  He had to keep a clear head, or else he'd get them all killed.

"Penny, aşteptaţi nu mănânc oaspeţii noştri doar încă, eu recunosc asta." The voice is strong and even the mages can feel the commanding magic intertwined with the words.

Spoiler

Translated from the Romanian - Penny, wait don't eat our guests just yet, I recognize this one.

The fang bearing vamps all shut their mouths and take a step back as a silver haired man, thin, pale and tall, looks to be in his fifties and dressed in Armani steps into the circle of light around the table. The music still bangs away in the crowded club and a few of the other patrons are are at least giving the scene a bit of attention. It is easy to see the light reflected off the demonic eyes in the darker recesses of the club.

The the music seems to fade at least around the table. and the Elder vampire speaks this time in English laced with an eastern European accent.

"Cade Alistair, it has been awhile. Why have you come here uninvited and how did you get in?"

Spoiler

Cade has never seen this vampire before.

Well this was unexpected, but not wholly unwelcome.  "We were sent here through magical means by someone we thought was an ally.  I assure you we did not wish to intrude into your domain.  As you can see, we are dressed for a nice evening out with friends, certainly not any sort of disruptive activity."

"I don't know exactly what sort of magic was used to send us here, but I certainly plan to have words with the person who did it when we meet again."  His tone was quite polite, recognizing that this was a vampire of greater status than the others, as they obeyed without question.  "You know my name, but I confess ignorance to yours, would you do me the courtesy of telling me that, so I might address you properly?"

The regal Vampire studies each of you in turn, his eyes lingering on Kaitlin admiringly. He smiles.

"Mia Vail, I assume? You are fools if you think you can trust that...woman. Not all monsters in New Orleans, or the world for that mater, are creatures of the night. And not all Creatures of the Night are monsters. New Orleans is a Neutral city, peace means prosperity for everyone. and this place is Elysium. There will be no bloodshed here that is not willing."

You can see the disappointment in the five nearest vampires with sagging shoulders and and glares in your direction, but each bows his head in compliance, the last to bow is the woman whose glare sends chills through Cade.

He turns to face the club and speaks his voice while no louder cuts through the music and everyone looks at him.

"Gathered Kindred, friends, These are my personal guests treat them accordingly and grant them the hospitality of Elysium."

The shows a bit of shock and confusion but all those you can make out give a little bow of acknowledgment.

He turns back to you all. "As you have said your evening of entertainment was interrupted. please be my guests and continue your evening here. I promise no one will harm you here. Unless that is what you want of course." He smiles a very charming sexy smile.

"And forgive me for not properly introducing myself. I am Radu Vladislas, at your service." He gives the party and old fashioned bow but his eyes are on Kaitlin.

Penny b9b97f6555ed551b8c38f84bf3465d17.jpg.a04                           Radu Michael_Fassbender.jpg.96d2d9f38e7dfb097

Spoiler

Fasbender is a little young for Radu but just picture him in his fifties

Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death...   A neutral club.  He'd heard of it, and never been to it.  Likely something to do with his own past. This wasn't the first he'd heard of the entire city being a neutral area, though nominally that had always extended simply between the various magus factions..  The fact he'd killed things, not just vampires, preying upon humans, attested to that.  Hearing that it extended to the vampires changed some things as well, he'd have to see if the werecreatures had a similar arrangement..  "Thank you sir, for your generous hospitality."  He didn't really trust him, but violating neutrality was a big thing, and he'd not be responsible for a war.  He nodded to the others at the table.   They'd be alright, just nobody should go off alone.

This would have been trouble. In fact, Aja was trying to figure out tactics for a fight - when the elder vampire intervened. Apparently, Cade had some kind of past history there. Made sense, this was his hometown. Upshot, Aja could sit put at the table and not worry about being nommed. But at any point, this respite gave the intellectual time to deduce some facts and questions that had presented themselves in a matter of moments.

First, what this said about Mia Vail. The very act she pulled was one of teleportation, not of just herself but all of them. Correspondence, the older mirror to the Data Sphere Aja used, but if there was any rough equivalency, she was very very very advanced at it. Then there was the flair for the dramatic, all with the Sudden But Inevitable Betrayal delivery and throwing them right into the vampire club. Her behavior had already showed the limits of emotional control Mia had.

And of course, the blatant utter disregard for Paradox. Because that, right in public at a major restaurant? The sort of nightmares for typical Traditions practice. Rather concerning. And in retrospect, the clash outside Mather's house should have created some kind of Paradox, but didn't.

Which meant further questions. With that kind of level, she could spy on them each - but she asked about Simon, and didn't seem to be aware of the visit to the Plantation by some of their little group. So she was unable to do so when it came to them. Did the complex spell that Aja and the rest accepted onto themselves have a part to play in this?

Then one finally thing creeped up on him. And Aja mentally smacked himself for skipping past it. If Cade knew the rules of this place - Mia should too. The way the 'old friend of Anson' acted, she'd expected them to be blood feed by now. In other words, she'd screwed up entirely.

Aja wasn't the kind of person to smile coldly, but this moment qualified.

"It's not that we trusted her exactly," Triessa says, looking around. "We just didn't think she'd have the wattage to do something like this. Honestly, I'm still scratching my head a bit over it."

She chewed her bottom lip for a second, reflecting on how you couldn't really DO that as a vampire, and that's something that would really bum her out, then added, "So this Elysium thing you're offering us...it only works while we're actually in here, right? The second we step outside we're fair game?"

Kaitlin froze into utter, anticipatory stillness. Where and how Mia had sent them was a surprise and if she had understood the magick of Time and Space as well as she did the magick of the Body, Kaitlin would have been daunted at how easily Mia had transported all of them to the gothy dance club. Still, it didn't stop her from wanting to slam Mia's face into the closest handy surface next time she saw her.

Suddenly finding herself in the midst of five predators also had something to do with her poised stillness. Predators could always sense fear, weakness, and it could induce them to attack. And these were fucking vampires and not the twinkling kind. Kaitlin had actually stopped being friends with a long time schoolmate because she had dragged her to see those amazingly shitty movies. Kaitlin was about to spring on offense and see if Vamps were worse than werewolves, when Cade started being all reasonable and spoke with them... and it worked!

Kaitlin noted the Alpha Vamp eyeing her more than the others and she tried to figure out if it was because of her looks, being all glamed up, or her bared, bloody - er, goddamned neck. But not having any experience with Vampires beyond film and books, Kaitlin followed Cade's lead and returned Radu's hospitality with a guest's politeness. Most of her interactions - few as they were - with other supernaturals hadn't been pleasant, but Neutrality seemed like a big deal.

Still, Kaitlin didn't trust them not to try some mental fuckery - pretty much every source agreed Vamps could do that. And they were... eerie. At first, it seemed like a normal club, but her keen senses began picking incongruities. While Cade spoke and Triessa spoke and the Vampire replied, Kaitlin breathed in and out in a particular, steady rhythm, steeling her will, just in case, and attuned herself to the pulse of life, so she could tell who was what.

"Kaitlin," she replied, returning Radu's bow with a nod. Her eyes glittered golden under the strobing lights and a tightness curled the corner of her mouth. "At least this place has better music than where Mia brought us."

Okay... not gonna lie, didn't see that one coming

The fact that he was surprised struck him as silly. Perhaps he'd allowed himself to get out of the mindset of being under siege by events. Indeed, Mia had aroused everyone's suspicion, but to actively attack them in this way seemed... uncouth. Wasn't she supposed to deny everything or make subtly veiled threats about leaving well enough alone?

Vampires. Okay. Mist. Superstrong. Stakes. Hypnosis. Sex appeal. Buffy. Wha'd that poindexter in Texas call them? Massassa? Yeah that sounds about right... hypnosis. That would be bad.

Standing up, Montrose moves slowly between Cade and Kaitlin, the two that have approached. Putting on a friendly smile, he addresses the head leech.

"Master... Radu? Yes? Perhaps someone could explain these accords to us so that we don't accidentally make a social boo-boo? As you see, you have my associates and I at a bit of a disadvantage." Seemingly nonchalant, he claps his hand on each of their shoulders whispering "sorry 'bout the pinch".

As his hands clap on them, he digs the nail on each pinky finger into their shoulder, causing a minute amount of pain. He has never tried this spell before, and he's flying by the seat of his pants. In hope that he can jar their senses just enough to allow him to interact with them, he extends his psychic defenses as far out as he can.

Spoiler

Using Mind magick to attempt to create a mental defensive shield around the two of them

the displeasure of the touch was something Cade allowed to pass, he knew Montrose was trying to help.  "Simply put Montrose, No one will harm us, and we are to harm no one.   Our host has named us his personal guests, and no one here would risk angering him just to get at us.  Now, I suggest we should continue to enjoy our night, our plans haven't changed, simply the location."

He met Radu's gaze.  "Of course we are allowed to defend ourselves, if someone is foolish, but only to the point of subduing the assailant.  But by the same token, we agree to the same rules."

Cade had a great deal more to say, but it would be damn rude to say any of it, with their host standing there.  He would wait and hopefully the others too, they needed to at least stay in pairs here tonight, to better watch each other's backs.  He didn't so much fear an attack, but he had the feeling something was very off, more than mia's behavior suggested.

Triessa seemed to be thinking along the same lines as she said, "You know, we should probably get out of here though? Because if Mia sent us here hoping to mess with us, she might not STOP with that. Like, if anything magic happens here, even if we have nothing to do with it, it's pretty likely everyone will blame us. And they won't stop to think about it until after the blood dries...er, or gets drunk or whatever you guys do with, you know, blood."

She gives Radu a nod and a smile. "It's no offense to you, but right now it seems like we might be sort of lightning rods. And all these, um, vampires, are probably intended to be the lightning. Except...wait, no that doesn't work because lightning doesn't hurt lightning rods." Triessa sighs then waves her hand as if erasing something on an invisible blackboard. "Look, you know what I'm saying. Mia, or one of her friends, might try to hurt some of you to provoke you into trying to kill us."

Also casting Mind Shield on mah self. Might not be necessary, as one must first have a mind to shield...but that's a separate issue. :)

Radu continues to smile nodding until there is a pause. "Mr. Alistair is correct. You are probably safer here than anywhere in New Orleans, but if you feel that you must that you must leave, I will understand." He faces Triessa. "Madam from the way you talk i sense that while you are associated with Ms. Vail in some way and are now apparently threatened by her, That you don't know her very well."

Triess preys that her mind shield is working cause this man is smooth and damn those eyes are sexy. "Well I , .. What do you mean?"

Radu steps a bit closer, the others tense. "For starters, Mia Vail has no friends. At least not from this world."

• 2 weeks later...

Once Radu was gone, Cade turned his gaze to Aja.  "Looks like someone's got some very good karma to burn.   That or our host is simply being patient and gracious with youngsters like us.   What is it you'd like to discuss now, here?"   they likely weren't going to get real privacy.

"And what is a 'Nephandus'?" Kaitlin asked as she looked around the small club and its patrons, then down at the drink in her hand that the waitress had brought her at someone else's request. It was as red as her dress and her amber eyes narrowed in suspicion. She brought it to her face and gave it a tentative sniff, then took a sip. Jack, cherry juice, something else, it was sweet and rather good.

"And whatever that is, remember, that is just the vamp's claim or hint or whatever. One thing we've learned during all this, is that we don't know who Mia really is. I'm guessin' the vamp doesn't either."

Akemi shakes her head slowly. "I don't pretend to understand what is going on with Mia Vail but I have to question why would Anson have taken her as an apprentice if she were Naphandi?"

She too picks up and sniffs her drink before taking a small sip. "That she is unstable is obvious, otherwise, why do this." Her gesture encompasses the vampire club. "If as suggested this is a test, have we failed or have we passed? and if it were an attack why did she tip her hand? Whatever that hand may be."

She looks each of her companions in the eye.

" I think we need answers. And those answers are at the plantation. We need to speak to the Anson simulacra."

"I don't know much about stuff like Nephandi," admits Triessa. "But maybe Mia...turned into one, or however that happens, after she'd been with Anson for a while? Or wait! What if she's NOT one, but has friends who are? There's ways to look into it, but not from here. We definitely have to go back. "

She pauses and frowns. "I admit, if she'd wanted us dead, there's probably easier ways for someone with her skills to have done it. Surer ways. But this doesn't really feel like 'just a test' either."

"She can't kill you, Triessa, for the same reason you can't kill her." The voice of Simon startles everyone one second it is just them and now there he is sitting with them. A quick scan shows that none of the other patrons seem to have noticed.

"Ha, you are a mage!" Burst out Kailin a grin spreading.

"No, Kaitlin, I am what Mages fear. Mia Vail thru her actions has made null a portion of the agreement I had with Magus Anson and Magus Mather. While she was not a principle of the contract she was a subject of it." Before anyone can ask a question he holds up his hand stopping them. "I will answer no questions on the matter. As I said she cannot kill you but she can cause you to be killed that is what this attempt was. She made a miscalculation however by not researching the history of Radu. I have placed the van in the parking lot I suggest you take it and make your way to the plantation and rescue Mather. He can explain more and give you the help you need. Avoid direct conflict with Mia Vail. it will serve no purpose but can complicate matters."

As the sentence ends he is no longer there, but on the table are the keys to the van.

Archived