Pack of Troubles

This is a threat for Mavuto's pack. Please read this introduction and decide if your character would fit in the pack. If so, please share a bit about your character below, give a timeline for joining the pack, and what sort of role your character might play in the pack.

Mavuto - Alpha

Mavuto is a 40ish Griqua, a Cahalith, and a Storm Lord. He's from South Africa originally, though he didn't originate in Cape Town. He arrived in Cape Town in 2002 at the tail end of Thomas Ironhammer's effort to seize territory from the Pure. When infighting tore Ironhammer's pack in two, Mavuto joined up with the breakaway pack and eventually rose to become Beta of the pack for a few years before the end of the decade. In 2010 when fighting turned to war in earnest he fought in the bloody battles that left both Pure and Forsaken all but wiped out. Mavuto barely survived one of the final battles and his scars still display the wounds he took there. His own pack lost enough members that in the aftermath it folded with each remaining going their own way. Mavuto took the next few years to consider his future and left Cape Town for a time.

In 2013, Mavuto returned to Cape Town with a strong sense of purpose and began seeking out other Forsaken in the area, whether they were old-timers like himself, fresh arrivals from distant shores, or those who had just undergone their First Change. Mavuto spoke of dreams and prophecy and being prepared, without much specificity. He spoke of doing things "right" this time, not always with clarity on what that meant. He's battle-scarred and a bit crazed by the things he's seen in his more than two decades as an Uratha, but he does seem driven to pick up the pieces and rebuild after what was lost in the wars nearly half a decade ago now.

Mavuto is a strange sort of Alpha. He wants a strong pack, with Forsaken who will have each other's backs, but he also pushes pack members to have their own lives and own ambitions. "Having each others' backs when it comes down to it doesn't mean you wipe each others' asses," is one of the things he's prone to say when asked about it. He sometimes disappears for days at a time himself and isn't concerned when others do the same.

Anyone interested in signing up to be part of Mavuto's pack? Once we've got at least three to four members we can start hammering out some of the pack-specific stuff.

Darrik is a wealthy multimillionaire trust fund baby - early 20s and relatively recent off his First Change. It sounds like this pack could work for him.

I expect that there will be two packs based on the number of players expressing interest. I can mark you down as a tentative until you see what the other option is, if that's what you want.

Given that we're supposed to be able to launch this thing soonish and I have a story outline and rough character sheet sign-off from the person running things, I thought I'd step up and offer a pack for folks to either sign up with or form an alternative to. I'm fine either way. :)

If Darrik is in, being a recent First Change, I imagine he'll still need some "schooling." Mavuto's lessons are mostly of the sticking your hand in the fire until you realize it burns variety, coupled with stories of terrible things he's seen or done or heard about. Maybe that works for your character or maybe the pack will pick up someone else who handles things differently. Or maybe your character had a little of this from Mavuto and promptly signed up with the other pack-to-be just to be far away from him! :D

In what ways? Or has Darrik yet to clarify that?

General note for anyone else signing up: The "Creating a Pack" section of WtF, 2nd edition, starting on page 89, is pretty awesome. I am looking forward to fleshing things out using the guidelines there. I think that Darrik and I are bouncing around a bit between Step 1: Introductions and Step 2: Connections right now. If you want into the pack, feel free to jump in with an introduction and thoughts on connections! Then we'll set up wolf-blooded and humans on the periphery. Finally, whatever our totem will be. That'll all come later though, right now we're just on the Introductions and Connections steps.

Hmm! Ariel is also a recent Changer, and relatively new arrival to Cape Town as well. She's a policewoman though, and so your somewhat relaxed notion of pack life could work very well for her. That said, having two newbies in the pack might not be ideal for y'all. :)

We can roll with it if it winds up being what works for those involved. A grizzled, half-crazed, story-telling warrior-poet and a couple of cubs could (!?) be interesting.

I'm also hoping that kicking this thread off will prompt someone else to take point on the second pack so we can start fleshing out the options available. Forsaken is an inherently collaborate game in many ways. Finding out what the two options are going to be for packs and jumping aboard with those who you want to tell a story with and whose basics seem to complement the type of story you want to tell is important to overall success and player happiness. :)

How would you see Ariel fitting in here or connecting to Mavuto and/or Darrik?

Kaitlyn is fairly shy and not very forward, but is also an incredibly deadly killer, as one might expect from an Irraka. Before her first change, which occurred a few years ago, she was a private investigator, though after her change she cut a lot of her human ties, and disappeared for a few years for further training, and spending some time in the wilds, she would have arrived in Cape Town within the last year or so, so this pack might work for her also.

Especially if the other two are very fresh, Mavuto would be pleased to see someone with a few years as Uratha under their belt. Mavuto has a fair amount of experience with living in the wilds himself and has a respect for anyone else with some level of self-sufficiency in that regards.

Anything jump out between the other potential characters and each other? Mavuto doesn't need to be (and shouldn't be) the sole linchpin for the pack. I strongly encourage others to consider the other potential pack members and what ties each might have with each. Some of that can probably be useful even if some folks wind up in the other pack. :)

If Kaitlyn is in, I could see Mavuto pushing for her to take any who aren't familiar on the occasional trip into the wilds and run them through some basics. It would be pretty clear that Mavuto saw the benefit of breaking Kaitlyn out of her shell a bit (at least within the pack) was every bit as much important as having others pick up a thing or two about basic survival skills. Thoughts?

It's a good framework for teambuilding and RP, so I'm good for it. Ariel is mainly a city gal; her outsdoorsmanship is limited to tents and gas stoves. :)

It'd be a potentially interesting dynamic between a police officer and a PD too...in theory their careers are complementary, but in practice they mostly just get in each other's way. :)

It's a good framework for teambuilding and RP, so I'm good for it. Ariel is mainly a city gal; her outsdoorsmanship is limited to tents and gas stoves. :)

It'd be a potentially interesting dynamic between a police officer and a PD too...in theory their careers are complementary, but in practice they mostly just get in each other's way. :)

Outdoorsmanship doesn't have to be the whole of teambuilding. I could see Mavuto pushing Ariel to take the pack on a tour of the worst parts of Cape Town to get a sense of what the resonance is like and to learn some basics about what to watch out for when dealing with the dregs of humanity. Both the wilderness and the masses of humanity are part of what one has to be aware of in order to fulfill one's duties as Uratha.

Both exercises could have capped off with the Siskur-Dah (Sacred Hunt) against an appropriate target or targets. Mavuto has the rite of the Sacred Hunt to make sure that this would be possible. While still Alpha, he'd ask the relevant pack member to take the lead on their own turf, as it were.

Thoughts? Targets for either environment? Seems like the sort of things that even if only done a couple of times in the past would leave impressions about who thrives in a given environment and type of hunt and who stumbles. Mavuto is more comfortable with the lay of the land in the wilderness than the streets of the city, but is very skilled at dealing with people.

Packs commonly consist of not just Forsaken, but wolf-blooded and humans as well. The pack creation process has each Forsaken creating one wolf-blooded and two humans they are affiliated with who are extended parts of the pack. I'm going to toss Mavuto's piece of the extended portion of the pack in here. Feel free to sound out possible connections with them or with your characters' extended portion of the pack.

Thulile is Mavuto's wolf-blooded daughter. She recently turned 21. She has a complicated relationship with her father since he left her and her mother to go off to fight in a glorious war. The two reconnected three years ago and Mavuto has been trying to rebuild abandoned bridges. Belying the meaning of her name ("is quiet"), she's rather hot-tempered and outspoken. Thulile tried college in Cape Town for about two years, focusing on health sciences, but dropped out. She works in _____. She knows _____ from _____. (Help fill in the blanks!)

Koos has been a regular human and long-time friend of Mavuto since he arrived in Cape Town 13 years ago. Koos runs a small hole-in-the-wall sandwich shop that Mavuto loves. While Koos isn't in the loop on most things, he and Mavuto have commiserated over the difficulty of divorce and being apart from their children. Mavuto was thrilled to show Thulile the place and let Koos meet his daughter a couple of years ago, though the food doesn't hold nearly the same appeal for Thulile. Koos also knows _____ from _____.

<One more pending, but work calls! Looking forward to reading about other character's extended pack affiliations and figuring out what folks want to do to integrate mine!>

Hey all, sorry I've been off the grid recently, but with work troubles and the like, I've had a pretty shitty couple of weeks and havn't really been feeling up to much other than feeling sorry for myself and bashing Zombies heads in. :P I'm back now, though, so we should be good.

Basic idea behind Glint is that he is and was a DJ heavily involved in organising Raves and other parties of that Ilk. That didn't change once he did, but the purpose behind it did. While the original thrills still attract him, it appeals to him on a deeper level now as a method of giving people a place to blow off steam in a, if not constructive, at least less destructive manner. He enjoys pyrotechnics of all stripes, which he uses in his shows and has a fondness for noise. The louder and flashier the better.

He's generally fairly laid back and cheerful, having a quick and easy smile. Currently studying chemistry in Capetown U, though he's unsure as to how that will work out in the long run with his duties, he's going to keep at it as long as he can.

Hey all, sorry I've been off the grid recently, but with work troubles and the like, I've had a pretty shitty couple of weeks and havn't really been feeling up to much other than feeling sorry for myself and bashing Zombies heads in. :P I'm back now, though, so we should be good.

Basic idea behind Glint is that he is and was a DJ heavily involved in organising Raves and other parties of that Ilk. That didn't change once he did, but the purpose behind it did. While the original thrills still attract him, it appeals to him on a deeper level now as a method of giving people a place to blow off steam in a, if not constructive, at least less destructive manner. He enjoys pyrotechnics of all stripes, which he uses in his shows and has a fondness for noise. The louder and flashier the better.

He's generally fairly laid back and cheerful, having a quick and easy smile. Currently studying chemistry in Capetown U, though he's unsure as to how that will work out in the long run with his duties, he's going to keep at it as long as he can.

Life happens and we all get distracted sometimes. :)

How about Mavuto coming into contact with Glint through his daughter, Thulile? It could have been either through her meeting Glint at Capetown U (before she dropped out) or her telling Mavuto about these raves with really primal music until he showed up to check one out. Either way, Mavuto and Glint got a whiff of each other and realized they were both Forsaken. Let me know what you think.

Life happens and we all get distracted sometimes. :)

How about Mavuto coming into contact with Glint through his daughter, Thulile? It could have been either through her meeting Glint at Capetown U (before she dropped out) or her telling Mavuto about these raves with really primal music until he showed up to check one out. Either way, Mavuto and Glint got a whiff of each other and realized they were both Forsaken. Let me know what you think.

I like the sound of it, it was something I was going to suggest myself, once I had sorted a couple of thing. Particularly like the Rave angle on things. Though, as an idea. Glint only changed within the last year or so. The parties themselves are a great place to get information, so if you wanted to scope them out to get a feel for things, one rave he's a regular enough guy, the next, *poof* Werewolf. Will give Mavuto a rough timeline to work with.

Okay, I have a bit more of Ariel's backstory now that I will throw in to help work things out. As I understand it, her First Change may take place within the game, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

So Ariel grew up in England with her mum technically a single mom, but her boyfriend (Ariel's dad) was a husband in all but paperwork. She has an older brother from her mom's previous failed marriage, but there's a rift between them as brother never quite got behind the new man. Perhaps he was wise...there was a falling out between them at some point, resulting in their split. Ariel found time to attend school and get a part time job to help out with the house, but things were strained anyway.

In the end, Ariel's mother moved back to Cape Town, where her family was. Ariel stayed in the UK long enough to finish school, then followed her there.

In the McKenzie household, Ariel was often 'the responsible one;' a counterpoint to her mother's flakiness, and this became more pronounced as they aged. Her mother's not hapless enough to count as a 'dependent' in game terms, but Ariel still has a strong sense of duty towards her, and privately believes she'll be a wreck without her around.

And, professionally, Cape Town is as good as any other city to start her career in, so...there we go!

Darrik is pretty much as I said, trust fundie and such, very old money lineage, and a playboy. Perhaps he did the horizontal mambo with Thuile, which leads to him meeting Mavuto and thereby making a certain awkwardness in the future on the matter.

Awkwardness can be good. As long as we're setting the stage so that we have some kind of basis to start from, the rest of how folks relate will be sorted out in game. I expect that the pack will still be in its relatively formative state based on responses so far, so it isn't like a whole lot of detail is required.

In short: sounds good.

At 24, Kaitlyn is only a couple of years older then Mavato's daughter (And might know her from her school days, though she'd be a lower grade), her parent's died when she was young and she was adopted, though she grew close to her adopted family.  She was distancing herself from them, but they are one of her touchstones and she has sense renewed those ties.

Wolf-Blooded: Tamara Amila Delimar was discovered by Kaitlyn during first job as a P.I. once she arrived in Cape town about a year ago, and reestablished her business.  She was a 15 year old runaway, and in the process of finding her for her mother, who was a single mom, she discovered the girl was wolf-blooded, with the horse tell, making her a medium, something Tamara had been struggling with understanding over the years, and part of why she’d run away, as her mother did not understood her daughter.  Kaitlyn brought the girl into the pack, and has since become something of an aunt to the girl, Tamara is presently calmer then she used to be, and was to learn to be a botanist.. but the pack may have other ideas, as Wolf-Blooded with a Horse Tell, she's one of the few Wolf Blooded who can learn Pack Rites.  She also knows _______ from ______ (fill in blanks)

Human #1:  Juliana Dayle is Kaitlyn's adopted mother, she's had trouble understanding her daughter's choices over the last few years, sense Kaitlyn had her first change, but she's a woman with a compassionate and forgiving nature.  Since her daughters arrival in Cape Town, and reestablishing more consistent contact with her family, she's been happier about her, but she remains worried, as she knows there are things that Kaitlyn won't talk to her about.  She has no idea of werewolves or the supernatural, and Kaitlyn would prefer to keep it that way, though she fears some day she will not be able too.

Human #2: TBD

Darrik's Additions to the Web

Wolf-Blooded: [TBD]

Human #1: [TBD]

Human #2: Maria Esperanza, a woman of Hispanic descent and the professional housekeeper for the Reynolds estate. She's been with the family for a long time, and like a female Alfred, is much on the order of an aunt for Darrik. She is not aware of the werewolf Changes, but she is aware of Darrik's odd new circle and sudden shifts in behavior - loyal but concerned, she is a Touchstone to Darrik and fair to say an extended member of the pack's network.

Wolf Blooded: TBD

Human #1: Requesting that he be called Frankie (Glint has been sworn to silence on his actual name), they've been friends since forever. Unlike Glint, when Frankie completed his second level education, he went straight in to work in a Tattoo parlour. Frankie's the one responsible for the Tattoo running down Glints right arm, the location which, in the shadow, burns with his Purity brands. Easy going to a fault, Frankies the one who deals with all of Glints make-up for the parties. He's been mildly concerned over the last year, as Glint has developed a much worse temper, but he figures at the moment that his silent presence should be enough to keep Glint grounded.

Human #2: Rebecca Lynn a South African woman of Chinese extraction, she and Glint started college in the same year, and despite sharing absolutely no classes with one another, met through friends and immediately hit it off. Studying Media and advertising in the University of Capetown, she is generally the voice of reason for some of Glints more harebrained schemes. Mitigating as much of the trouble that he is liable to get into on his own as possible. Once she figured out just who Jayden was, she attached herself to him as his Publicist and Spin Doctor. They occasionally date, but nobody seems to know just how serious they are. Most friends are taking bets that neither do they. Rebecca is the only person that Glint has "told" about his condition.

I realise there's not really much I can do, at this stage, to help with the pack formation. I am on hand to answer any questions about Totems or if you want to have loci in the territory, drop me a line.

In the interest of getting the Pack of Troubles more complete, here's some consolidation.

Totem?? (Based on my suggestion in the other thread, if folks have any other thoughts or ideas, please chime in, if your ok with it, then chime in there too, I'd like to have something semi-solid)

• The Killing Wind
  • Influence: Wind (Influence could also be storms, after all, as our pack  alpha is a storm lord)
  • Tentative Tribe Advantage (if we can get the enough of an experience bonus from the totem): Wits + 2, Brawl + 1

Werewolves

• Mavato - Alpha
  • Confirmed Other Werewolf members: Ariel, Darrik, Glint, Kaitlyn, Others???
  • Unsure: Samuel or Jess is interested in our pack?  but if Jess is interested, we could use a Ithaeur shaman, but maybe she prefers to go it alone, for now anyway, and a Ghost wolf could give our pack some more independence.

Wolf-Blooded

• Thulile (Mavato's daughter), Tamara (Sort of an Adoptive Niece to Kaitlyn), Several others still in the works

Humans

• Frankie, Rebecca, Marie, Juliana, Koos, Ariels Mother (whatever her name ends up), several others still in the workds

Territory

• I suggest table mountain and maybe some of the city adjacent to it, Hout Bay, Camps Bay, Gardens?  Or do the rest of you have different ideas?

A thought: While we aren't quite filled out in terms of members, I think this is enough for some pack interaction, at least if we can settle on territory.

Well, Ariel's mortal jurisdiction will be central Cape Town, though her werewolf territory could be vastly different of course. It'd be cool for her if there was overlap though.

And of course, if there's a lot of wilderness, she'll need some handholding while she learns the basics of dealing with that. :)

But that's just good RP moments, not things to be avoided!

Location: I'd be keen on parts of the national parks and smaller towns on the south-eastern outskirts of Capetown: Fish Hoek, Kommetjie, and Simon's Town. It also sets us up on the fringe between Cape Town and the wild madness of Cape Point.

I am aware of a potential conflict of interest between this game and another one when it comes to Table Mountain itself. Territory is definitely a thing that will need some checking over with Dawn to coordinate between the different games.

Totem: Very happy to have something wind- or storm-related (unsurprisingly), but not entirely sure about something quite as aggressive as Killing Wind. While fighting will be an aspect of what we need to do, I'm leery about making it absolutely central to the feel and flavor of the pack and whatever bans such a totem might possess. Enduring Wind, Whispering Wind, Storm Watch, or even Cape Doctor could be interesting choices.

Other ideas are fine, too. If folks want to go with Killing Wind, I don't have a strong objection. Just a moment of hesitation and desire to double check to see if that's what we want to be bound together under the banner of.

Totem

So, to build the totem, we need to find out who is contributing how many points. Can everyone who is in the pack note how many points they are contributing towards the totem? When doing so, please note any preferences for a particular totem concept or thoughts on what it would be nice to have when building the totem.

I'll kick it off:

Mavuto - 1 point

Mild preference for not having the ban force us to be too aggressive; we'll handle that on our own I expect. :)

Very mild preference for something wind- or storm-related.

Very mild preference for a bonus to Wits.

Glint can contribute a point towards Totem as well. Partially because I completely forgot about Totems and spent all of my Xp elsewhere. xP.

His preferences is for something sociable. He would prefer a ban that, if it doesn't encourage his activities, at least doesn't actively discourage them.

Well, after looking it up, and considering that we're looking at table mountain as territory, I like the Cape Doctor, sense that is the name of the wind that blows in from the ocean, and part of it blows up the mountain there.  I've definitely partial to wits myself.

Totem Points: 5

If we all get a free dot of totem, I need to put a dot of background somewhere else.

fyi  not sure if it matters or not but table moutain is a huge tourist site i just wanted to let yall know that

Yep. Not all parts of it though. I imagine if we stake a claim to it, we'll have to take care of not just the public tour areas, but the rougher spots as well.

Also, I'd be down with our totem being in the Cape Doctor's ilthum. Building off of real and established senses of things can be a lot of fun here. I sort of expect that we won't be able to have enough Totem points into it for it to be the Cape Doctor, but something tied to it would be fine. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Given the associations of the Cape Doctor, I could see a ban that in some way deals with disease or illness. Probably an action that must be performed rather than must not be performed under certain circumstances. Assuming we aren't going to have Cape Doctor itself, we could have something like The Wind that Sweeps the Tabletop (cleansing and natural) or The First Wind of Summer (hot and dry) or even The Winds Where Spring Meets Summer (more storm-associated, tied to the occasional fierce storm from south-easterns.)

Well, after looking it up, and considering that we're looking at table mountain as territory, I like the Cape Doctor, sense that is the name of the wind that blows in from the ocean, and part of it blows up the mountain there.  I've definitely partial to wits myself.

Totem Points: 5

If we all get a free dot of totem, I need to put a dot of background somewhere else.

Don't forget that your Wolfblooded also get five dots of Merit, but they can only have one dot of totem.

So you can reasonably double that.

fyi  not sure if it matters or not but table moutain is a huge tourist site i just wanted to let yall know that

Don't see why it should. No different from having territory in a city. There will always be Herd around

Yep. Not all parts of it though. I imagine if we stake a claim to it, we'll have to take care of not just the public tour areas, but the rougher spots as well.

Also, I'd be down with our totem being in the Cape Doctor's ilthum. Building off of real and established senses of things can be a lot of fun here. I sort of expect that we won't be able to have enough Totem points into it for it to be the Cape Doctor, but something tied to it would be fine. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Given the associations of the Cape Doctor, I could see a ban that in some way deals with disease or illness. Probably an action that must be performed rather than must not be performed under certain circumstances. Assuming we aren't going to have Cape Doctor itself, we could have something like The Wind that Sweeps the Tabletop (cleansing and natural) or The First Wind of Summer (hot and dry) or even The Winds Where Spring Meets Summer (more storm-associated, tied to the occasional fierce storm from south-easterns.)

Sounds good to me.

Packs commonly consist of not just Forsaken, but wolf-blooded and humans as well. The pack creation process has each Forsaken creating one wolf-blooded and two humans they are affiliated with who are extended parts of the pack. I'm going to toss Mavuto's piece of the extended portion of the pack in here. Feel free to sound out possible connections with them or with your characters' extended portion of the pack.

Thulile is Mavuto's wolf-blooded daughter. She recently turned 21. She has a complicated relationship with her father since he left her and her mother to go off to fight in a glorious war. The two reconnected three years ago and Mavuto has been trying to rebuild abandoned bridges. Belying the meaning of her name ("is quiet"), she's rather hot-tempered and outspoken. Thulile tried college in Cape Town for about two years, focusing on health sciences, but dropped out. She works in _____. She knows _____ from _____. (Help fill in the blanks!)

Koos has been a regular human and long-time friend of Mavuto since he arrived in Cape Town 13 years ago. Koos runs a small hole-in-the-wall sandwich shop that Mavuto loves. While Koos isn't in the loop on most things, he and Mavuto have commiserated over the difficulty of divorce and being apart from their children. Mavuto was thrilled to show Thulile the place and let Koos meet his daughter a couple of years ago, though the food doesn't hold nearly the same appeal for Thulile. Koos also knows _____ from _____.

<One more pending, but work calls! Looking forward to reading about other character's extended pack affiliations and figuring out what folks want to do to integrate mine!>

I'm going to finish up my trio with...

Belinda "Linda" Retief is the widow of Mavuto's former packmates. She's human, but has bits and pieces she's put together over the years. Mavuto keeps an eye on her out of a sense of loyalty to his fallen former packmate, who was killed five years ago in the final battles between the Pure and the Forsaken that led to almost everything being wiped away. She knows Mavuto was a good friend to her husband, but how much more than that she doesn't say and Mavuto pointedly doesn't ask.

I'm going to file the abbreviated stats for Thulile, Koos, and Linda privately shortly. Anyone interested is welcome to build more connections with them.

Actually.. if each of the 5 wolf blooded members puts in a point of totem, kaitlyn puts in 5 points, and the other 4 members of the pack put in 1 point each, that's 14.. if one werewolf would put in 2 points, that would bring us to 15.. and if every werewolf considers putting in at least 2 dots of totem, and two of them putting in three, we'd have 20 points in our totem, which is a very powerful totem.

Archived