New BESM 3e game

Justin OOC

I want to run a game, and have some ideas, but I'd like to hear what you, the players, would like to do.  I'm thinking of keeping it lower in power, say 350 cp, and likely it would be multi-genre. 

I am partial to mecha, but once again that's just me.  I'm going to be off for at least a week, potentially the rest of the month, so I've got time to get this going, and I think with all things considered, it will be fun.

This is up for polite discussion, so i'd like to hear from all of you.

I'd like to play one of your games again, Long. You and I are old campaign veterans. :)

Mecha is not my absolute favorite setting, but it's definitely doable! The devil's in the details, I always say.

Lower powered is a wise choice as well, I think.

If this is lower powered, I wouldn't go as big as Pacific Rim. Something more like Macross (without giant transforming space aircraft carriers) would be better.

Also, no powers. Pure raw skill and technology. Maybe cybernetics too. Pretty much that's it.

As for threats? Again with a low powered setting with transforming jets? Why not have it down to earth? Some sort of conflict between two massive alliances? Heck, it doesn't have to be earth... It could be a alternate reality earth with different nations, even continents!

A interesting way to combine a war story with "real robots" style mecha.

if we go with mecha, I will prefer human pilots, and somewhat modular mechs allowing for customizability.  The general size will be aroudd 15-16m tall

Aliens are possible, though they will be similar to humanity, perhaps some slight enhancement, but nothing like super ultra powers.    If we go with mecha, the enemy will have them too...

Personal prefs run to:

1) Superheroes

2) Mechs, sci-fi, alien warfare/exploration

3) Fantasy

I'm new to BESM so I might need a little hand holding. What's the point of diminishing returns for the Eye Size stat, and should I take the Micro-Mouth perk or not?

so lots of love for a mecha game of some sort.   What I'm thinking will Feature human designed and shaped mecha for the PC's, against an alien race that attacks in two forms, with specialize combat mecha, and biological horrors.   Humanity captured some of the enemy mecha which allowed them to jump from slow clunky mecha to advanced maneuverable units.  

I would like for the PCs to each pilot a different model mecha, as the United Earth Defense Force is looking for the next generation of standard mecha to use against the alien invaders.  You are the test pilots, possibly designers, and mechanics for your machines 

Sure I'll give it a go. Are we buying mecha as equipment, or are they just specialized pools of points we can tinker with outside of normal character generation?

Also, any details you can give us about the setting; Earth's social and political situation, whatever's known about the aliens, and so on...that'd be cool too.

It's going to be a 300 cp character with 100 points allowed to be spent on your mecha, customizing it.  since we'll be using normal humans the values may be somewhat low, but it will be alright I'll scale things properly.  I will post the base stats of the mecha, in addition to more world information tonight or tomorrow.

300 points is a lot for normal humans. :)

What kind of attributes are encouraged/available, and what's off limits?

And the 100 points for mecha, are those bought as equipment (ie - attributes bought with them are half cost?).

mecha base stats
13m tall
30 ton mass
500 hp
200 ep

super strength 3 (maximum allowed is 7)
Weapon Machine guns 10 range 3  autofire  limited shots 6  (means it runs out of ammo after you use it six times
Combat knife  weapon 8 muscle penetrating
Flight 2 (max 6)
Senosors- Inrafred, Xray, ultraviolet, telescopic range 1 mile     Radio Range-150 miles  
Features- GPS, ejection system, Environmental sealing
Armor 10 (max 30)

Drawbacks The Engines for all mecha are known as Grim Cores.   They are a veritable black box, with only a few technicians trained to work on them in a given base, and when heavily damaged, they have the tendency to explode and annihilate everything within 200m.  Even those who know can work on them do not know their origin.

Autofire is incompatible with any effects that ignore armor other than penetrating/piercing.  there are no psychic weapons.  Invisible weapons must be cleared by me.

All energy weapons use the ep from the mecha, at a minimum usage of Final damage divided by 5 per shot.

All Forcefields, flight and motive powers use 10 ep per turn active, each.

New extra for armor/forcefield - Hardened  each instance of hardened counters 1 rank of penetrating/piercing

Because of this mecha have somewhat limited activation times.  This may change later, but will stand for now.

Sample mecha (using 100 cp) Codename- Tesseract

hp 500

ep 200

armor 30 hardened 4

super strength 6  Heavy servo upgrade

Flight 5 ionic Thrusters

sensors

Extra defenses 1 Rection Matrix

Ranged combat attack 4 heavy weapons  Targeting Computer "Dragon's Eye"
Ranged defense  heavy weapons 5  "Defender Protocol"
Weapon 30 "Avenger GAU III Heavy rotary cannon" Autofire range 3 Penetrating 5 Accurate 3  Limited shots 6 

Weapon Machine guns 10 range 3  autofire  limited shots 6  (means it runs out of ammo after you use it six times

This mecha is designed for long range combat, and heavy firesupport.  It has the largest rotary gun in the world, each barrel a 120mm in diameter.  It has the standard backup weapons in the form of head-mounted vulcan cannons, and the standard combat knife augmented by the frame's massive physical strength.  It is not a frontline brawler, and is meant to operate as part of a team.

Here is a sample pilot, heavily trained by the military academy to pilot any mecha.

Body 4 Mind 4 Soul 4

skills (14)
Piloting 3
Wilderness survival 1
Computers 2

Attack Combat Mastery 2 (20)
Massive damage 2 mecha weapons (8)
Extra Attack 1 (15)
Divine Relationship 3 (6)
Combat Techniques Lightning Reflexes x 2 (4)
Tough 6 (6)
Melee Defense 2 Mecha
Features 1 attractive

The following are house rules I use

*House Rules*

6,6 always hits and does double damage for PC's
6,6 is auto hit for anything attacking
6,6 auto defense for anything defending
1,1 always misses for attacks
1,1 always fails for power activation
1,1 always hit when rolled for defense
Defender always wins

reduced to negative HP
characters with regeneration regenerate all negative HP in one turn, regardless of how deep they go, so long as they do not die.

The use of a healing power on somone in negative heal will always bring them up to at least 0 hp, regardless of how deep into the negatives they are.

There is no limit on Tough, or Energy bonus.
I am changing their costs to 1 cp per rank.
Each rank gives you 10 hp or 10 ep.

Regeneration can be used for EP or HP, but must be decided at Character creation, You may have both kinds.

Pvt. Jamie Carr

etxoxt.jpg

A career soldier with over ten years in the Marines, she has a bad attitude but gets the job done. Her file is over four inches thick and full of reprimands and in fractions she has held the Rank of Gunnery Sergent at least twice. Her last bout of trouble saw her busted all the way back to Private and was serving a sixteen month sentence in the brig for beating the shit out of an officer before her scheduled dishonorable discharge. When War broke out she volunteered for the Mecha program and its dirtiest job.

Body 4

Mind 4

Soul 4

LEVEL POINTS ATTRIBUTE

+2        +20         Attack Combat Mastery

+2        +4           Combat Techniques: Lightning Reflexes x 2

+1        +2           Divine Relationship

+1        +15         Extra Attack

+2        +8          Massive Damage (Mecha Weapons)

+2        +6          Melee Defense (Mecha)

+2        +6          Ranged Defense (One Movement Skill)

+1        +2          Skill: Computers

+1        +2          Skill: Intimidation

+2        +4          Skill: Piloting

+1        +3          Skill: Power lifting

+1        +2          Skill: Navigation

+2        +2          Skill: Wilderness Survival

+4        +4          Tough

TOTAL : +200

Melee Mech

13m tall
30 ton mass

700 hp
360 ep

Armor 30  hardened 5

Tough 20

Energy Bonus

Super strength 7

Extra defense 1

Weapon Beam Axe 15 penetrating 5 piercing 5 muscle

Flight 3

Superspeed 1

Forcefield 7

Senosors- Inrafred, Xray, ultraviolet, telescopic range 1 mile     Radio Range-150 miles  
Features- GPS, ejection system, Environmental sealing

The energy axe does 216 damage a swing and has two settings, standard which is bludgeoning and costs no ep to use,  and energy mode, which activates the penetrating and piercing, costs 40 ep a swing to use

Drawbacks The Engines for all mecha are known as Grim Cores.   They are a veritable black box, with only a few technicians trained to work on them in a given base, and when heavily damaged, they have the tendency to explode and annihilate everything within 200m.  Even those who know can work on them do not know their origin.

Autofire is incompatible with any effects that ignore armor other than penetrating/piercing.  there are no psychic weapons.  Invisible weapons must be cleared by me.

All energy weapons use the ep from the mecha, at a minimum usage of Final damage divided by 5 per shot.

All Forcefields, flight and motive powers use 10 ep per turn active, each.

World information

Most nations still exist, Though eastern Europe is essentially the last bastion of Russia, everything east of the Urals is enemy territory, and the remains of the Russian military serve on the border,  as well as Svestapol, and on the Kamchatka Peninsula.  The Russians specialize in heavy weapons mecha, using large bore canon.  They're not very fast, but possess amazing firepower.  Japan prepares for war, and has a large number of general purpose mecha.  The United States, having control of the two Orbital platforms left over from a blackbooks version of the Star Wars program, Has recovered the most alien technology and fields the largest number of advanced technology mecha.   There are Five principal research stations,  Washington DC, Area 51, Anchorage, Seattle, and Jackson, MS.  Jackson is a major manufacturing center, as is Seattle, Achorage is the prime site for testing of new mecha, and will be the general setting for this game.

Anchorage is an international base, with Mecha testing going on from all nations with the technology.   

The two orbital platforms were meant originally to service 36 specially designed fightercraft each, and have since been converted to  service the same number of mecha, as well as what few cargo ships can still make it up there.

Energy Weapon and Forcefield technology is in its infancy, as is nanotechnology, but more advances are always coming.
The aliens use only Mecha of fightercraft in space combat.  Even though there are currently six capital ships between Earth and its moon, they have yet to actively engage in combat, save to recover mecha.    Planetside, the Aliens use Monstrous biological creations to exterminate humanity.   None have ever been seen to hurt anything aside a human intentionally.  They devour any human they find, and can track them by scent, and are drawn to loud noises.

There are 4 known classes of creature.

The sniper class are slow moving, and fairly small, but create intensely powerful lasers with a ten mile range, capable of shooting down planes, and in one situation, 3 of them destroyed a Battleship in a salvo.

The Dozer class have a dozen muscular legs, and a massive chintinous armor skull that allows them to destroy buildings and armor with no ill effect.  Most weapons fail to penetrate their armor, but most pilots know to get behind them where they have no armor at all.

The grappler class look like large scorpions, with two sets of massive claws.  they are highly effective at killing ground based mecha that cannot escape them.

The final class and most numerous by far, are the Faceless.   they have eight legs and a humanoid torso and arms, They have no eyes, but a large mouth lined with humanoid teeth

• 3 weeks later...

Archived