The Queen Ascendant groaned to a stop at the end of her anchor, the rest of the Princess’s fleet spread out behind her. All of the ships bore the signs of last night’s storm, which had tested both the ship builders’ and the crews’ prowess. The nigh-eternal party atmosphere of the Queen had been ruthlessly quashed as nobles had finally given up and hunkered down through the miserable weather.

The sun was bright and beautiful in a cloudless sky now but the party still hadn’t resumed. Everyone was too excited by the sight of the first major landmark past the known edge of the map.  A horseshoe bay spread before them, the shore a gentle slope down to the water. The golden sands bordered the thick jungle beyond, hiding further discoveries from sight.

Elena herself had emerged from the tent, the sun shining on her dark hair as she peered at the shore of the wide bay.  â€œOh, it’s beautiful!” she squealed, clapping her hands together. “Oh, I must have it. Reggie, go and get it it!”

Lord General Reginaldo Farro heaved a sigh and scanned the shore with a more practiced eye. “I will summon the adventurers to survey into the jungle for us. There’s a fresh water inlet over there and I see fruit and wild animals; we can replenish the stores while we wait on their report.”

“Yes. Lord Alexander!” Elena turned to the noble on the fridge of the crowd, her fan fluttering in the air and her eyes batting at him. “Please gather up all the adventurers on my ship and take them ashore to explore.” She giggled softly. “I almost rhymed there, didn’t I?”

Her fan snapped shut sharply and she tapped him on the arm. “And do try to not get yourself killed? I’d be so upset if that was the way my grand kingdom started.”

Feel free to write up getting yourselves to shore if you don’t have any questions for the princess or Lord Reginaldo. I’ll post again once the active PCs have posted.

Alexander responds to Elena, "Princess, it will be my honor to embark on the first mission of bringing your grand kingdom to reality. I will do everything in my power to ensure that this first mission doesn't end on a sore note and the first discovery brings you greater joy." He will then give the Princess a bow then head off to get all the adventures on board to prepare for the mission and once ready to meet up at the row boat they will use to go ashore. As he is getting ready he follows up with his retainers to see what their statuses are and where they are at handling various tasks. He makes sure Olivien knows it is his responsibility to be around the other nobles and to keep up to date with all the happenings while he is out on the mission. 

Now that he is done preparing he stands waiting at the row boat for the other adventurers. Once everyone is gathered he will ensure they all have everything they will need. Once that is done he will check in with the Lord General to let him know his team is ready to head ashore and to see if he has any additional information before going.

Krugar nearly had to swallow back his breakfast after seeing and listening to Silk-Fer-Brain's reaction to the bay.  He kept quiet.  The cleric's desire for fresh water to be free of the salted crust build up and a moment's reprieve of the embalming humidity that had encapsulated them after the storm had won out his crass mouth's desire to comment.  Solid land is where he belonged and he hoped this scouting took some time.

He had gathered his things at the first mention of disembarking. After a few quick Mending applications Krugar donned his armor and tied his shield to his pack with a leather thong.  He used a quick release loop like he had been taught at the temple.  He surmised it would be just as effective if he went over the side of the rowboat or being prepared for an attack by some tropical parrot harpy.  With the gear secure, he gave a small toot on his horn, trying to be quiet while still making sure it was clean and clear.

Sir Fancy-Pants walked by but didn't seem interested in saying much and kept walking towards the other adventurers.  The half-dwarf shrugged slightly then hefted 'Thok' as he made his way to the small boat that was suspended over the side for their departure.  Wasting no time, he stepped over the small gap and made himself comfortable. The boat swayed slightly as Krugar cracked his knuckles, popped his neck and waited on his travel partners.

Alexander walks up to the boat that the half-dwarf is in wearing his chain-mail armor, shield, long sword, and his backpack with the additional gear he might need and gives him a nod then says, "It will be nice to set my feet on land again. Do you wish to offer a prayer when the rest of the group is ready and before we set out?"

While the last few nights were dreary, Silaqui and Alya - another bard on the ship - made things bearable. Both were dancers, and Alya had her talents, while Silaqui was quite adept at singing the tales of old accompanied by her viol. Silaqui and Alya were brought along for this as the nobles wanted to keep morale up among the ship's crew. Silaqui was an oft requested performer at the nobles events. She knew their ancestors as a child and kept watch of their lineage.

But now they had pulled up into paradise, the tropical version of it. The sun was bright, as usual. Her elven sight made the sun hell on her eyes, but still she managed. She wasn't blinded by it, but it was very strained. She couldn't wait for night. "Lady Elena," Silaqui said with a curtsy to the noble, "I may be but an entertainer, but I have gifts that would make me valuable with the adventurers." She smirked, "but if you wish for me to be your songbird, I would not mind at all."

Foral and Jorhim exchanged glances at the princess' pronouncement, but the elf gave her companion a small shrug. Princess Elaina wasn't a ruler because she was good at it. Humans are weird, their shared look said, and that was that. She clasped Jorhim on the shoulder in farewell, settled her pack a bit more comfortably, and made her way over to the shoreboat.

"So," she said brightly to her companions, "any bets on what we'll find there?"

Alexander says, "Well with it being a jungle....  big creatures of some sort is my guess. Intelligent creatures.... maybe Elves... or Goblin, Orcs, maybe lizard type people. Not fully sure, but it would be best to be prepare for anything." 

Princess Elena made a small ‘o’ of surprise. “Do you want to go, Silaqui?” She was one of the few humans who could say her name correctly. Her pretty brow furrowed deeply. “But why?”

“I think you’ll find that our sweet Sila is very curious.” Alya grinned, her dark hair gleaming in the sun. She strummed her lute lightly and waved. “Have fun, dear.”

“Yes, I . . . guess.” The princess inclined her head. “Go with my blessing, and the grace of the gods.”

With the last of their companions in the boat, it lowered into the water and headed for the beach. The trip seemed to take far too long, but eventually with a final heave on the oars, the hull slid over the golden sand. “Here you are,” one of the marines said. He watched them expectantly.

Alexander jumps off the boat and walks up the shore line to get a better look at the surroundings to see if he sees if anything of interest then he asks the group, "We will need to make at least a rough map as we scout out the surrounding area. Do one have the artistic skill to do so? Also, I know the Princess asked me to take all the "adventures" out on this scouting mission, but you all are not common soldiers and I think we each have our specialties and should step up and take point when it applies. Obviously I am a Knight and I am a front line combatant, but I do specialize in protecting those near me."

Alexander walks up to the boat that the half-dwarf is in wearing his chain-mail armor, shield, long sword, and his backpack with the additional gear he might need and gives him a nod then says, "It will be nice to set my feet on land again. Do you wish to offer a prayer when the rest of the group is ready and before we set out?"

"No."

Foral and Jorhim exchanged glances at the princess' pronouncement, but the elf gave her companion a small shrug. Princess Elaina wasn't a ruler because she was good at it. Humans are weird, their shared look said, and that was that. She clasped Jorhim on the shoulder in farewell, settled her pack a bit more comfortably, and made her way over to the shoreboat.

"So," she said brightly to her companions, "any bets on what we'll find there?"

"No."

With the last of their companions in the boat, it lowered into the water and headed for the beach. The trip seemed to take far too long, but eventually with a final heave on the oars, the hull slid over the golden sand. “Here you are,” one of the marines said. He watched them expectantly.

Fancy Pants, some elves, a whore. and me walk into a jungle.  The native standing at the edge of the jungle looks out at and says, 'Is this some kind of joke?'

Krugar grumbles to himself as he gets out of the boat, already miserable from the heat and humidity.  Sweat was running down his back and threatened to start rivulets down his legs as well.  The cleric hoisted his hammer over a shoulder and walked past Fancy Pants, "The plants thar look thicker than the temple's soup left out for a day.  Nothin' be happenin' in there, let alone defendin' or map-makin'.  Prolly black as a goblin's tongue in thar."

Krugar started trudging through the sand, "Our best bet be to follow the stream best we can.  If thar be anyone here...or anythin' then it be likely to head to the water at some point.  'Less we split in two, then another could be checkin' the beach for a trail or signs o' fishin'."

Alexander chuckles at Krugar's logic then says, "I agree, the likelihood of potential civilization would be along the river or connected to it somehow." Once he sees the half-dwarf took off in the lead he will have those with not as much armor get between the half-dwarf and himself and he will pull rear security.As he looks over those of his group, the one that looks the least protected he will walk near so he can better protect them should they get attacked. As they start heading out he asks, "So are any of you skilled as a scout or ranger? If so you should probably take the lead."

"I'll go," said a voice from near Alexander's elbow. She'd been so small and quiet, it'd been easy to overlook her amidst the chaos of the conversations and the exhilaration of a new world. The halfling lass...well, she was a bit tall for one, but clearly no dwarf...was padding over from the boat, spear in hand, staff with the weird little skull and bone effigy on the end slung over her shoulder. A notched wooden shield, braced with boiled and hardened leather, was strapped to her left arm as well. Her expression was pinched, narrow, as she scanned the treeline.

She gave Krugar a nod. "Following water is good, but first I want to find high ground so we can get a lay of the land. We're not just here to find settlements. Even a simple map will help keep our bearings when a stream twists and turns."

Alexander listens to the Halfling and says, "Good point. High ground also gives us a tactical advantage should we need it. We can also set it up as a centralized base camp and have the Princess send a garrison in to secure it so we can push further out."

"Ya could see as well as me when we be sailin' in."  Krugar said, dead set on the fresh water.  "It be a jungle out thar.  The only high ground be branches at the tops of those trees.  The ones here likely to give as good a view as any.  No need to go hackin' in the foliage and hope we be goin' upwards.  

The cleric reached the water where it was pushing through the sand and gave a cursory glance for things hiding that might want to consider him food.  Not seeing any immediate threat, he liberally splashed water over his head.

"But now that I'm cooled a bit, I dunna care what we do."

As the group gets to the river Alexander will take the time to get "fresh water" from the river. He has a smile on his face when he gets the water happy to not be drinking the water from the ship. He will enjoy a good drink of it then refills the waterskin. He then goes about scanning what he can see then looks up river as far as he can. He finally says, "Other than trees and the river, we have no idea what we will find until we go exploring. We might even find a paradise just for you." He said that list bit jokingly towards the half-dwarf.

Krugar had enough knowledge about how to survive in the wild to be comfortable in the lead. The adventurers pushed forward into the jungle, the cool shade of the thick vegetation actually raising goosebumps.

The forest floor was fairly clear of debris, though there were fallen trunks, covered by thick green moss. The trees had odd leaves which were more like spines than vegetation. The sounds of the heavy forest weren’t that unfamiliar; birds created a cacophony of high-pitched noises, while other creatures filled in the lower notes. Dripping water was a soft, constant sound. The air smelled heavy and wet; not the hot humidity of Maelton but a cold moisture that reminded one of a cave. There was a faint smell of rotting wood, no doubt from the trunks on the ground.

Krugar’s suggestion to follow the river was a good one: it took them right to a village. Wooden huts with bark shingling lined both sides of the water, with a small rope bridge connecting them. There were no people within sight, and the exterior fire pits were cold and filled with damp wood and ash.

Perception skill time. Everyone give rolls in your post; if you don’t post by the time I do, I’ll be rolling for you.

Alexander scans the village thinking it is odd that there are no people in it and says to the group, "I suspect these people knew we were coming and don't like outsiders. Be on your guard, but lets hope this doesn't resort to unnecessary violence".

RaySS3] 5:51 pm: D&D MD Perception Roll
RaySS3 *rolls* 1d20: 13+3: 16

Krugar harumphed.

He approached the village, but stayed closer to the shore.  His boots squelched in the mud.  "Hallo!"  The cleric hollered.  "Thar be anyone here to talk to?  We mostly come in peace!"

We come not to raid, but only to pillage.  We come not to rape, but to merely conquer so that you may be justly ruled by a pea-brain that cannot dress herself.

The half-dwarf sighed at his own internal thoughts and called out again, "Hallo!"

Perception
[Lobby]: Forge has entered at 5:04 pm
/backtime 5
[Rorx] 5:00 pm: Late food bbiab
Forge *rolls* 1d20: 5: 5
[Forge] 5:05 pm: ha
With a +3 that makes an 8.

Aridha frowned, and slipped away, meaning to have a look around while the others called attention to themselves. If they were going to paint targets on themselves, she could at least get some use out of it.

All that time on a ship though...she was out of practice!

SalmonMax] 8:50 pm: Rollin' a bit for Land Ashore

[Noir] 8:50 pm: because by and large your conditioning sucks ass
[Noir] 8:50 pm: hehe
[salmonMax] 8:50 pm: Stealth, then perception
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 2+5: 7
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 4+5: 9
[Noir] 8:50 pm: your = all the contestants
[salmonMax] 8:50 pm: lol
[salmonMax] 8:50 pm: Well shit

• Matt unpinned this topic

Archived