Dawn OOC

The wind snapped the sails sharply, drawing Captain Akoi’s attention upward. The Ultgar mariner scowled and shook his head. The sailors muttered and tossed shells into the waves when the officers weren’t looking. The offerings to the elven sea god would have been punished if caught, but the sailors always honored the human and elven gods whose waters they crossed.

This was Princess Elena’s ship, The Queen Ascendant, and she was easily the second largest ship in the Imperial Fleet. The massive ship allowed the princess to bring herself and select guests, mostly other nobles, onboard. The nobles all had their retainers, of course, so there was barely room for the adventurers that Elena had insisted venture with her. The nobles had berths in the upper decks, and the adventures in the middle, while the sailors and menial laborers slept in the hold. This ship didn’t have the horses, but that was only so there was room for the lowest social strata to sleep.

The nobles had assumed this was a great excuse to party, and Elena had joined in, spending the nights in celebration and the days sleeping. Her four advisors had worked diligently to prepare for landing. The adventurers had little to do, other than talk to one another and wait for landfall.

Sir Alexander Megalos dressed in fine clothing with his longsword strapped to his hip is on the deck looking out over the sea in the direction the fleet is sailing along with his trusted retainer Brayden, a Half-Dwarf smith. The two are chatting and Alexander says, "Help where you can as this is our home until we make landing. I will see you later for that game of dragonchess." Brayden nods then heads off. A short moment later one of his other retainers arrived, a woman he calls Thea and she whispers to him and he nods. He then shows her an odd looking reg egg shape item and tells her, "Have you seen something like this before?" She shakes her head no then Alexander continues, "Okay, see if you can find anything out about it. It is an odd little trinket that has my curiosity." After the woman leaves Alexander continues look over out at the sea taking in the breeze then noticing one of the sailors having an issue lifting a crate he goes over and helps him and once done he gives a smile and wonders the deck and assist other sailors in their duties here and there. He finally ends up on the navigators deck to look over his charts and maps giving the Captain a nod then steps back and continues to observe.

A rattle of dice followed by crows of defeat and victory caught Lord Alexander’s attention. He paid the first no mind but the second drew a frown. The captain heard it too, shaking his head but shrugging with resignation. “The only way to stop the sailors from gambling is to cut off their hands, and even then they’ll pick the dice up their teeth,” the dark skinned grumped.

“It’s not the sailors I worry about,” the noble said and followed the sounds.

He found the gamblers in a huddle under the stairs, staring intently as a young blond-haired man sent the bones rolling again. “Six!” he whooped, throwing his hands up in victory. The others groaned as young Olivien scrapped the winnings into his pile. “The gods are with me today!”

Alexander seeing who it is sighs and thinking why did he agree to take this kid on as a Squire. He then moves over so Olivien can see him and says, "Squire Tosk, please come up here and let the sailors have their fun in peace."

“But they are having fun because of me.” His squire flashed the men a bright smile and they all dutifully nodded. When that failed to sway his knight, Olivien sighed heavily. “I shall have to be fun somewhere else,” he said, with the manner of a man going to his execution. 

Alex’s presence muted any agreement and soon his squire had gathered his winnings and stood in front of him. Olivien didn’t look dismayed to have been caught but that matched what his father had said. It was hard to get the lad down about anything, even what he should have been upset about. “My lord,” he said, pulling his hat on more firmly. He burned under the sun like any other Dotheri: quickly and fiercely.

Alexander looks him over for a moment as if he was appraising something he didn't like, mostly doing this in the attempt to get a reaction out of Olivien .... he then finally says, "Knights are supposed to be virtuous. Gambling is a sign of greed, especially when one of noble station is taking hard earned coin from the common folk. If you desire gambling so much, you should at least gamble with those of your station."  Alexander lets that sink in for a moment then continues, "I feel you don't appreciate the common folk as you should. They work hard to earn just the slightest of coin one of your station is accustomed to. With that in mind.... "  He turns to the Captain then says, "Captain, do you have some duties that is required to keep the ship to your sanitary standards?" 

Rather than looking happy to have a new slave added to his minions, Captain Owa looked irritated. “I suppose so,” he allowed reluctantly, “but don’t blame me if the lad takes up sick. Those horsemen wilt like cut flowers under the sun when forced to do real work.”

“He’ll appreciate whatever work you can find for him,” Alexander told Owa.

“He will not,” Olivien smirked, “but you’d like to have me out of your hair, right?”

Below deck, Foral and Jorhim were arranging their bunk. Well, their assigned hammocks in the third large barracks room that the ship boasted for all the passengers (except the Really Important People, but hey). They'd unpacked the bags Torish had had prepared for them, familiarizing themselves with the contents and figuring out how to combine them with their own small packs of personal belongings so they wouldn't be carrying multiple bags around. Torish, and his apprentices, were good at their jobs, so there was room. Foral slipped on her gloves and carefully refolded the ancient scrap of banner she'd found exploring some of the ruins to the north of the gnomish city she'd grown up. No one had been able to identify what ancient house it must have belonged to - only that it was neither gnomish nor dwarven. She'd kept a hold of the minor mystery, taking on the onus of unravelling it some day and adding that knowledge to the Library. In truth, she thought the faded standard was beautiful and it seemed almost shameful that whomever had designed it and employed it in the world should be forgotten.

Maybe I just like lost things. Things that are odd and out of place. She smiled at the thought. Even though she was a gnome and no one among the gnomes questioned that, it still rankled outside the Homeland when humans and elves would look at her and make assumptions. Or pity her when they learned that she'd been raised as a gnome and thought of herself as one - culturally, she wasn't delusional about her race, for goodness sake. 

Next to her, Jorhim downed the first of what would be a steady diet of anti-nausea potions. He made a face, cleaned out the small vial, and placed it back in trunk at the end of their hammocks. "Vile stuff," he groused. 

"Better than you spending the whole trip hanging over the railing," she teased back. He grunted and muttered something under his breath; she chuckled. 

After they were finished repacking, the shorter gnome stated, "I need something abysmally alcoholic to get that taste out of my mouth. I wonder if the sailors are down to gambling their rotgut away yet?"

Foral snorted, "We're not that far out yet!"

"They're sailors," Jorhim said, as if that was an adequate explanation. He rubbed his hands together and added, "Besides, where there's gambling, there's statistics. I've got this new system I want to try out..."

Laughing, the elf followed her companion back above deck, not sure if she should pity Jorhim's attempts to control random chance or the sailor's coin purses.

Foral and Jorhim exited onto deck just in time to hear the knight in armor tell the younger man, “Not at all. Once you are done assisting the crew we will work on your swordsmanship and talk about what you learned.”

“Uh huh.” The blond lad turned to see the odd elf and gnome pair and said, “Hey, you guys look like crew.” The smart-assed grin on his face suggested otherwise but he persisted. “Do either of you have something I can help you with?” 

Krugar clung to one of the ship deck's balusters.  He had grown quite familiar with it over the term of the voyage so far.  At launch, he had been sure his insides had undertaken a quest to travel the world.  Now, thankfully, they seemed content to stir only when the ship was rocked by a gust of wind or a particularly rampant wave.  Still he clung to the baluster.  He thought it a valid method of avoiding all the velvet-clad pansies that seem to have infected the ship with either untamed inebriation or their moral code.  Krugar still hadn't decided which was more annoying.  So he clung to the baluster, feigning a plague of sea sick every so often to keep all but the truly determined away.

“Love the horn.” The comment came from his elbow; when Krugar glanced, there was a human woman standing to the side. She wasn’t too much taller than him, with delicate features and copper skin. Her coloration with dark hair and hazel eyes marked her as Iskandarian. She wore nice clothing but it was clearly a servant’s uniform of some kind.

“Did you earn it when you became a priest?” she asked conversationally leaning a hip against the railing. She ignored the frothing sea below her, crossing her arms and watching him placidly.

"No." Krugar said.  "The only thing ya earn when ya become a priest is a chore list and an uncanny sense of time."

Krugar held the horn up and out as though he might blow it, "No, this was bestowed upon me when I was drafted into the Legion.  It is ma responsibility to bear until such time that my service is considered satisfactorily complete or I die."

He let it drop, "I sincerely hope it's not the latter."

“’A chore list and an uncanny sense of time.’ Sounds like becoming a servant to a noble.” Despite her words, she seemed cheerful enough about her place in the world. “I guess it is the same, at its core. You’re filling the wishes of someone whose thoughts are largely unknowable and inexplicable.”

She laughed softly and added, “While my profession lacks the glamour of yours, I should be thankful that I don’t expect my service to Lord Alexander to end at death. I’m sure I’ll have kids who will be servants to him and his kids, ad nauseam, etc, etc.” Her hazel eyes watched him for a moment. “Do you like being a priest?”

Krugar nodded in agreement to her assessment to their similarities.  He was playing his role despite what he might really want to do, much like she was.  He had to admit his situation would probably allow much more freedom than her own, at least now that he was outside of the temple complex.  That didn't stop him yearning for a time when he truly had full say over where he went or what he had to do.

Losing his powers as he defied the wishes of his God would be less than optimal, but it had always rubbed him the wrong way that he was being punished for something he didn't do.  Sure he was there, but the band committed the crime.  He had done nothing but complete the delivery.

Krugar's brow sunk to nearly meeting the bridge of his nose and his voice dropped an octave, "No.  No I don't.  I do what I gotta do to survive.  Do you like being a milkmaid to a grown man?"

“Better than being one to a grown woman, or to Princess Elena, anyway.” Her words could have gotten her into trouble, but the young woman didn’t look worried. “I like Her Highness but she’s hard to serve. She’s flighty and unpredictable. I like Lord Alexander much better.”

“But do you like it? Dinna ask which you like more,” the cleric said gruffly.

Now the woman frowned a little. The ship dipped with a sudden wave and she casually leaned with the lurching rail, her eyes distant. “I serve with pride and to the best of my ability,” she finally said, “but I long for a day when life will be simpler. Cleaner. Maybe I can get a bit of land and start to farm.”

She laughed suddenly. “Of course, I hate animals and dirt, so maybe not. What about you? What will you do when you free yourself from Corand’s bonds?”

"I don't mind Corand so much as I mind the Legion."  Krugar replied.  "But that thar's details that would make someone weep with boredom."

The cleric ran her response through his head again, "So you've served the Princess then?"  Krugar asked, heading off her questioning.

Sounds like a noble, dancing with all the questions.  Why she care about me?

As Foral and her smaller companion ventured out onto the deck, they nearly bumped into someone else. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say she nearly bumped into them. She looked at first like someone's errant teenage daughter who'd snuck onboard. Taller than a gnome, but shorter than a full grown human. It took a second to see the point of her ears, and the slightly different proportions. Of course, anyone could be forgiven for forgetting the halfling was on board...she'd kept to herself, shuttling largely between her bunk and the crow's nest. Though big for her race, she moved as quietly as any of them.

"Excuse me," she said absently as she started to brush past...then paused for a moment to really look at who was there. The half-halfling hesitated, about to say something, then shook her head at herself and started to resume on her way.

Foral and Jorhim exchanged glances, both trying to decide if they were responsible adults today or not. Silently, they weighed their options, the enclosed environment of the ship, how likely word was to get back to people who were always responsible adults in their civilization, and how much the boy seemed to need being hazed. Finally, Foral smiled brightly and said, "Why yes, we do have something you could help with."

She motioned him to follow them, the three heading back over to the betting sailors. Jorhim settled himself into the group with practiced ease, swearing and laying down small bits of coin as if he'd been born to the ocean. The elf motioned for the squire to help her drag a barrel of something fishy-smelling over near the group, and snagged two deck empty deck chairs for them. She laid her pack down, rummaging through it to pull out the small dragonchess box she'd made for one of her competency tests. It wasn't pretty (she certainly wasn't going into an art clade any time soon) but it was hers and she liked it. She motioned for the boy to take the seat across from her, her lopsided grin conspiratorial. "I always get so bored when Jorhim gambles, so you'll keep me company. Work enough, hmm?"

“Yep, and it was a long number of months.” The woman sighed heavily, looking irritated as if being forced to speak on the time was aggravating.  â€œShe’s a very nice woman without a lick of sense in her head. She could be very demanding, requiring me to drop everything at a second’s notice to attend to her. Lord Alexander has high expectations as well, but his don’t change based on the day, phase of the moon, and whether it’s a holy day or not.”

She pulled out a coin and rolled it over her fingers, then lost it on the next tip of the boat. “Kywin damnit!” she snapped as the copper rolled down the deck. “Excuse me!” she shouted over her shoulder as she dashed after it, growling under her breath.

Aridha felt something bump her foot; when she looked down, there was a copper flopping onto its side on the deck. “Sorry about that!” a woman called, just as a petite human with hazel eyes scurried over and snatched up the coin. “I didn’t mean to throw money at you. I was just talking to, uh. . .” She flushed as she realized that she’d never gotten the cleric’s name.  Turning to the Halfling, she asked, “So I’m Yethea, and you are?”

“I don’t mind this arduous task, ma’am,” the young squire said with a lopsided smile. “I shall bravely endure, though I’m afraid I’m terrible at chess. Olivien, son of Lord Domimin Tosk the Humorless.”

“The Humorless?” Foral grinned. “Is that a formal title?”

Olivien nodded with false grimness. “To my father, absolutely. What is your name?”

“Foraldralos Alvlik.” With quick fingers, she set up the board. “But call me Foral. Black or white?”

“Black, women first.” He gave her another charming grin. "That's quite a name. Do all elves have such a long name?"

Krugar gave an almost imperceptible nod as she dashed off.

Great.  The silk-fer-brains princess we're all bound to is three arrows shy of a quiver.

He glanced after Alexander's servant as she ran into other's of the party.  

I be half a mind to say she dropped that on purpose.  There be more to her than a simple maid or there's more to nobles and takin' care of 'em than I know.

The cleric shrugged his shoulders and went back to gazing out at the water.  Either guess was plausible.  He hadn't really had much interaction with nobles before his introduction to this expedition.  Usually just people hired on their behalf and only then before they were robbed and killed.  There was already so much to venture guesses about what they would find beyond these waters than to worry about the people that he was suppose to be able to trust.

Alexander speaks with the Captain again after his comment then nods in agreement, "Very well, how about just normal crew work. Maybe place him on the team with the group he was gambling with. Once he gets the point I can pull him off the work crew and focus his thoughts where it should be. This is your ship and crew and I don't want to impede upon you too much."  he pauses for a moment and looks at the captain's charts then says, "I would be interested in learning to navigate if you would be inclined to teach me your trade."

“Good Knight, I’d rather as not have the boy tangled up in the lines.” The captain pulled out and loaded a pipe as he spoke. “I understand the need to discipline a lad who’s britches are too big but this is a working ship, and my men have experience. Your lad would as likely get hurt, and given his position to you, he’s one of them pasty-skinned northern lords. I’d rather not have his father casting a baleful eye on me if his son loses an arm or a head.”

He lit and drew a lungful of taba, releasing a plume of sweet-smelling smoke with each word. “As for teaching you navigation, that’s something I’d be glad to do. It’s always better to have another person who can understand how to steer the ship safely – particularly in unknown waters.” He smiled grimly. “Best if someone else can find the way home if all the officers die, eh?”

Alexander nods to the Captain, "Very well, my Squire will be tasked with something different. And yes, I agree more than one person able to navigate just in case is an advantage we should acquire."  He will then start taking in everything the Captain teaches.....

Archived