Jump to content

[Tara] Coming Home


Dawn OOC
 Share

Recommended Posts

The persistent actions of the creature didn’t falter as Morgan drove back to the medics. It seemed able to take a good deal of damage. He started to scoop it up with his cyber hand again only to have Cass exclaim, Ew! Don’t carry it with my housing!

 

“It’s my arm, and I’m the one who hates bugs!” he growled, scooping it up and looking for staff. His leg ached but was that from the wound, some poison, or was he imagining it?

 

Get a box or something! Also, remember I’m designed to mirror 84% of your likes and dislikes, and I thought that this was a safe dislike to share with you.

 

Seeing no one rushing to him as though they knew something was wrong with him, Morgan sighed and started limping through the area while he shouted, "MEDIC!  MEDIC!  I NEED A MEDIC!"  

 

The thing squirmed in his hand suddenly and he overreacted, throwing himself off-balance.  Coupled with his attempts to keep weight off his leg, his short dance sent him to the ground ungracefully.

 

I can feel its crawling around inside me!  This is awful.

 

"You're awful." he replied under his breath as he tried to hoist himself up without dropping his squirming package.  "MEEEEEEEDIIIC!"

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jack nodded back and stepped into the lead, working his way down the cliff path with a smooth and professional economy of motion, eyes out for signs of their runaway, seeing if he could get a hint of his physical condition from the tracks. It was amazing and invigorating being outdoors, feet on the ground of a planet. And a bittersweet too, without his family to share it with.

 

"Spent some time in Alaska and parts of Canada too. Still have great, natural landscapes and vistas there that the rising sea levels haven't destroyed," Jack said. "I'm a geologist and geophysicist by trade, so I spent some time on earth studying topography, hydrology, climatology, and the like first hand." Jack gave a shrug and chuckled as he glanced over his shoulder at George. "Ended up falling in love with Earth all over again - I was born on Earth, but moved to the Newcouver Lunar Colony when I was very young due to economic problems. Wanted my feet on the ground instead of being stuck in a cubical on the Moon studying planetary surveys."

 

Jack was silent for a moment, studying a particular track before he continued. "An acquaintance of means of mine knew of predilections and hired me to lead him and his wife on a wilderness trek. It worked out well, and he talked me up to friends of his, and before I knew it, I quit my office job to work as a wilderness guide full time. It payed better too. Enough that I could dream of buying a plot of land Earthside, someplace to build a real home for my wife and daughter, and live someplace where I could feel the wind and sun on my face. Alex, my wife, she was diagnosed with EAC. It was hoped living on Earth would alleviate her symptoms, or at least stop them from progressing to stage two."

 

George noted a melancholic tone enter Jack's voice as he spoke about his family, his hand going around the pendant hanging around his neck. "Almost did it too, when there was accident at the Newcouver colony. Alex and Sam didn't make it and Earth lost its savour without them. It was... rough, then I heard about the Melbourne and Tara. It was too painful living without them on Earth or Luna, with the dream I didn't get the chance to make real always just there. So, I decided to try someplace new, like Tara. And so here we are, and here we are."

 

Jack stood up and rolled his shoulders before pointing towards the cave-mouth ahead of them. "I believe our runaway is in there." Jack frowned, considering the other tracks he'd seen as well. "Something else lives around here too, I think. Not sure what though - the prints seem mostly feline, but too broad and round - almost elephantine - and too deep for anything I'm familiar with from Earth. Stay sharp."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

George checked his weapons were ready and accessible and gave Olivia a look over before turning to Jake.

"We don't know that the creature in there is hostile so we wait and see what the situation is before defending ourselves or the runaway. I'm pretty good at training dogs and horses, so perhaps I might have a chance to get the runaway out in one piece."

 

With another glance to Jack, George sneaks up to the cave entrance and carefully tries to get a look inside.

 

OOC
Try to sneak up to the cave entrance without disturbing those inside

Rorx *rolls* 4d6: 6+6+2+5: 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moira walked with the girl for a moment, giving her shoulder a reassuring pat as she smiled at her softly. Then she stepped up to the two scientists and began walking next to them.  "I hope you don't mind if I accompany you all to talk to Dr. Bellamy. My name is Moira, by the way. Dr. Moira Fitzgerald."

 

The scientist that had previously been holding Puff's cage responded, her lips pressing together in an irritated line. "I don't see what this has to do with you, Dr. Fitzgerald. The child just needs to understand that she's going to need to abide by the rules."

 

"Yes, of course she does," she replied, soothing the annoyed scientist's ego. "The rules are there for a reason, and we all have to follow them. But I just want to speak with the doctor regarding the collection of the samples. While Tara was pre-screened for signs of civilization and none were found, that doesn't necessarily negate the possibility of sentient life. I watched the girl interacting with the creature a bit earlier, and it didn't behave in a way that non-domesticated animals typically behave around humans. We should, perhaps, give some thought before locking them up in cages for examination, no matter how benign our intentions. It wouldn't be a good start to get on any sentient species' bad side this soon off the ship."

 

Carv, no rolls here at the moment, just RP, unless you want them.  I'm saving my rolls for the encounter with Bellamy. It's not these two scientists Moira's really worried about convincing.

 

Note from Carver: I changed the name to Bellamy because that's who they are going to talk to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The dire turtle offered no insight, as the massive head rose. Breathing in and out sharply, it moved past him with a surprising amount of quietness.  It seemed vaguely alarmed and Jaime felt the hair on the back of his neck rise in response. 

 

George barely poked his head around before seeing the massive creature coming toward the entrance. He darted back but the monster continued out the door, angling at Jack and Olivia when it saw them.

 

Combat is on. Jer hasn’t been seen yet and doesn’t have to join unless he wants to. The Dire Turtle has a TN 12 with an armor of 1.

 

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

“What’s wrong?” A woman wearing a headscarf intercepted him, a large duffel hanging from one shoulder. Despite the archaic head gear, she wore a medical uniform. Her voice was softly touched with the UU accent and she had the right ethnic look for a ‘Uer’ too.

 

“This thing bit my leg!” he yelped, holding it as far away from himself as he could.

 

“Oh!” She stared wildly around before finding a spare container. “Drop it in here!”  Morgan did and she slammed the top shut with a shiver. “Sit, let me see your leg.” Once he had bared his lower extremity, she bent over, expression concerned. “I can patch this up but you should find one of the doctors for antivenom medicine. I think that blonde woman over there is one.”

 

She quickly bandaged the bite wound and gave him a pretty smile. “Do you want to take the creature with you or should I get someone to take it to the xenobiology people?”

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

“I doubt it’s sentient. Animals that have no experience with humans are more likely to be curious than afraid. I haven’t seen any animal that correlates to us, so the other animals don’t have a built-in fear of us.” The scientist didn’t appear to be mollified by Moira’s remarks. She gave the other woman a haughty glance as she said, “Perhaps a real scientist who studies animal behavior would be a better judge than a psychologist.”

 

Puff leaned hard into Talina’s fingers, his tiny body tense. The group followed the scientists in a grim silence, each preparing themselves for the upcoming fight. Their path took them past the massive huddle of engineers, as well as the cluster of people around the captain. Bellamy was holding court on the scientists near the front of the ship, as far as she could get from the Tower plant in the rear and still be within the protection of the expedition.

 

The two scientists stopped at the end of the line queuing up to talk to her. Talina started to cut but Moira caught her arm and murmured in her ear, “Follow protocol first. Show patience and it’ll help your cause.” Though the teen gave her an angry glare, it was too full of her fear for Moira to take offense.

 

“Hi, Dr. Frankel, Dr. Nosek. What’s your problem?” The pre-teen girl was on the edge of being too young to come, which made her ten or so. She spoke evenly and matter-of-fact, a stylus held over the tablet in her hands.

 

“Huh?” Talina asked.

 

“I’m helping Mom by figuring out what you need before you get to her. That way she can have an answer ready for you.” Valentina Bellamy – as Moira now knew she must be – waited patiently though her eyes were on Puff now. “So what do you need from her?”

 

“These kids aren’t letting us keep this specimen. It’s the only one we’ve found and we need it for research,” the older woman said impatiently. “Can you ask you mother if we can jump ahead please? We’re wasting time here instead of collecting specimens.”

 

“Puff isn’t a specimen! He’s the only thing on this planet that hasn’t tried to eat us! And you’re pissing him off by scaring him and locking him in a cage!” Talina’s patience had reached its end.

 

“Please go ask your mom,” Gabriela cut in before Talina and the two scientists could start again. She wasn’t feeling very good at all and if she didn’t choose to sit down soon, the choice would be taken from her.

 

Valentina glanced around the group, studying them, then scurried to the front of the line. A few minutes later, she came back and waved them forward. The Head of the Science Division was seated at a desk made of crates, while two identical teenage boys unpacked other crates behind her. They watched the group with interest as they worked, though Moira guessed the young men’s interest was more on Gabriela and Talina than on the creature they were fighting for.

 

Dr. Bellamy awaited them with a patient expression but Moira noted the way her fingers tapped an irritated staccato against the back of her tablet. Her eyes fixed on Talina, since she was holding the cage. “So am I to understand that you’ve made a pet of one of the wild Tarain natives?”

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trying to keep Moira's advice in her head she dredged through her own experiences as a writer to try and come up with a way of not pissing off the new scientist.

 

"No ma'am, I didn't make a pet out of Puff, that's what we call him." She indicates Moira and Gabriela. "He came to us and despite what These two said He is intelligent and He understands me. And he is being unfairly treated." She hold Puff up and looks at him and whispers to him "Trust me"

 

"Will you let me let him out?  He won't run off."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The scientist listened without interrupting but the moment the teen was done talking, she said, “No, please leave it in the cage.” Talina didn’t need Moira’s training to know that her request hadn’t swayed Bellamy at all. “I understand your position, Talina, I do. I know that to you, I must seem like a grumpy, awful adult who is being completely unreasonable.

 

“My concern is just scientific, but concern for you. We know nothing about Puff, or about what he can do.” Bellamy leaned forward, her expression open. “While he hasn’t attacked you, he could be hurting you other ways, even unintentional ways. That’s why we need to study him to determine if he’s safe or not.”

 

Bellamy is using Socialize >Presence > Friendly > Leadership > Approachable [specialized in Approachable] in a Socialize Conflict against Talina to bring her around to her point of view.

 

Talina needs to determine what Socialize skills she’s going to counter with and then beat 30 on a Socialize roll. Because Bellamy wants to stop further issues by ensuring that Talina will not hide the next animal she finds, she's trying to add the Complication of Receptive. If Talina fails, she takes no damage, but she will have the following Complication for the rest of the scene: -1 to Socialize actions with instigator. Bellamy is the instigator. Additionally, Bellamy will be able to add further Complications from the Befriend line in later actions.

 

Glancing up at Moira, she added, “Your daughter is very passionate, but I’m sure you can see why we’re concerned. I’m worried about her safety first. I don’t think I’m being unreasonable to insist that native species not be allowed to be in close proximity to us, not until we’re sure what these animals are capable of. If you’d like, I can put your daughter at the top of a list to get a pet when we start vitalizing embryos.”

 

Bellamy’s second action is an Education attack against Moira, using Education > Formal Sciences > Logic. I added a +1 to the roll because she offered compensation to Moira’s “daughter” – and a pretty significant offer, since she’s offering to move Talina’s request for a recreational animal to the top of the list.

 

Moira needs to determine what Education skills she’s using for defense and beat a TN of 16. Bellamy is also attempting a Complication: Convinced. If Moira fails, she be at a -1 to further discussions with instigator or on subject matter until the end of the scene.

 

As always, see us with questions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gabriela frowned as she watched the interplay between all the scientists and decided that an emotional appeal would probably have all the effectiveness of spitting into the wind. "Puff has already been with us and anything we might catch from him we've probably already been exposed to," she pointed out. "You could do a scan and take some samples, then release him back to us. Not only do you get to study his biology, but then you can also see how he interacts with humans over time. There's all sorts of Earth species to revive, yeah, but won't it also be better if we can establish good relations with, even maybe domesticate, a native species?"

 

She pursed her lips, unable to resist the emotional jab after all. "Like you said, they don't know humans enough to be afraid of us. Can't we do better than Earth and not start out by giving them all one? And on top of that, you get the psychological benefit of a pet without having to spend resources on growing an Earth species, hoping it integrates well into the environment, and having to grow Earth food for it until we figure out what we can eat of native stuff. The scientists get to study stuff, the psychologist gets a hand up on making sure the teens don't go permanently depressed or ballistic, and Puff gets to not become the first deliberate, unnecessary casualty of human settlement of Tara."

 

 

Mechanics
Socialize/Negotiate : Malachite *rolls* 4d6: 5+6+5+5: 21 - 1 (EAC, Stage 2), Total of 20.

Holding second action for the moment, most likely to provide an assist to Talina or Moira.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unarmed save for a survival knife and a hatchet on his belt, Jack tried to keep the alarm off his face as he saw the Dire Turtle emerge from the cave, but his heart began hammering in his chest when it angled towards him. Giving Olivia a nudge to go one way, Jack went the other, trying to study the beast's body language, to get a sense if it was just trying to scare him off or was actively aggressive.

 

If it looked like the Turtle Bear was going to turn back on George, Jack would try to attract its attention and hope he didn't end up regretting it, but it would give George a chance to scout of the cave and look for their runaway. The creature was big, but heavy looking. It wasn't really possible to outrun a bear if it decided it wanted you, but this thing looked like it would corner much more poorly and hopefully couldn't climb as well, either.

 

"George, if this thing keeps looking my way, see if you can get a look in the cave for our runaway and if he's in any condition to get the fuck out of there," Jack said pitching his voice for George to hear him without shouting, trying to keep his tone calm so he didn't set the beast off, while backing up as the beast kept approaching, ready to run at a moment's notice.

 

Actions

 

Action 1 - using Education -> Insight -> Perceptive -> Intuition -> Sixth Sense to try to get a read on the Turtle Bear's intentions.

 

Asarasa *rolls* 5d6: 2+4+2+2+4: 14

Action 2 - using Athletics -> Calisthenics -> Aerobics -> Running to run the hell away if the Turtle Bear is coming for him. Will take sharp/serpentine turns where it won't slow him too much and hope the creature doesn't corner as well, and will jump/parkour his over low obstacles to try to slow it too, then head towards a rockface if there is one nearby to try to climb away from the creature. Jack also has Sprinter, so is a bit faster.

 

Asarasa *rolls* 4d6: 5+2+6+6: 19

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Puff was already examined by Dr. Temnikova when we were still on the Melbourne, and she pronounced him safe and returned him to me to look after." She looks at both Moira and Gabriela for backup.

 

action
Talina will interject that statement into the conversation .

using persuade to at least try to get them to send for Dr. Temnikova

 

[Nina] 1:55 pm: Talina's persuade 3d6
Nina *rolls* 3d6: 1+1+4: 6
     [Carver] 1:55 pm: Ouch. That sucks.    
[Nina] 1:55 pm: i wonder if she wearing her sneakers

Iam holdin a second action to break and run if needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jaime followed after the dire turtle, then stopped with his heart pounding and gorge choking as he realized what it was about to attack.

 

Quickly he charged out, placing himself right in front of the turtle, focused on it. "Stop. They're not going to hurt you see? They're looking for me. It's all right, it's all right."

 

OOC
[Jeremy] 3:00 pm: Persuasion:
Jeremy *rolls* 3d6: 5+6+1: 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the other engineers in the room looked up from his box of junk. “The word is that Sarr wants security to accompany anyone if they go too deeply into the wreck. They’re supposed to be at our disposal for this kind of work. I say just go grab a thug of your very own.” At her look, he shrugged. “You should hear what they call us.”

 

It wasn’t hard to find someone with a gun but it was a little harder to find someone in a security uniform.  The man she found was a well-built Asian she vaguely remembered seeing shooting at the redodile. His nametag said Wu. He smiled at her as she approached. “Can I help you?” he asked, his tone inviting both business and personal requests.

 

"Hope so," Rochelle replied with a smile, and stuck her hand out. "I'm on the engineering team. Supposed to head into the ship and check the reactor in there to make sure it hasn't been damaged by the crash...or at least make sure it's not leaking and about to, you know, irradiate everyone." She sighed and rubbed her fingertips through her hair. It had really been that kind of day so far.

 

"So, I guess someone has to go with me in there. Is that you?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

“What’s wrong?” A woman wearing a headscarf intercepted him, a large duffel hanging from one shoulder. Despite the archaic head gear, she wore a medical uniform. Her voice was softly touched with the UU accent and she had the right ethnic look for a ‘Uer’ too.

 

“This thing bit my leg!” he yelped, holding it as far away from himself as he could.

 

“Oh!” She stared wildly around before finding a spare container. “Drop it in here!”  Morgan did and she slammed the top shut with a shiver. “Sit, let me see your leg.” Once he had bared his lower extremity, she bent over, expression concerned. “I can patch this up but you should find one of the doctors for antivenom medicine. I think that blonde woman over there is one.”

 

She quickly bandaged the bite wound and gave him a pretty smile. “Do you want to take the creature with you or should I get someone to take it to the xenobiology people?”

 

"Whatever you think is best."  Morgan said, returning the smile.  "This is not really my area of expertise.  Should I be worried about the bite, you think?  Regardless, thanks for the help."

 

Morgan accepted her help getting upright and did a light-step dance as he made sure his leg could still hold the weight.  "Time could be of the essence, so I should go see that blonde."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

“That would be me.” Hiroki took her hand, eyeing her subtly. Not my type, but cute. He kept his speculation off his expression. “Henry Wu.”

 

They shook as she said, “Rochelle McKendrick.”
 

“Pleasure.” He checked his weapons with casual competence. “So I do have to ask – what happens to me if it is leaking? Death, sterilization?”

 

“It wouldn’t be healthy,” Rochelle told him, then handed him a badge. “You’re fine until it turns red and buzzes, then you should get out.”

 

“Red means run, got it.” He smiled at her as he took the badge and clipped it to his sleeve. Gesturing for her to stay behind him, he led the way into the wreck of the ship. “It’s a shame,” he murmured as they started to walk down the length of the lowest level, toward the transwave reactor.

 

Rochelle nodded. “Yes, it was a beautiful ship.”

 

“No, I meant that it crashed instead of landing safely.” Hiroki shook his head. “It’s been nice to use all of this as intended instead of crawling around in the destroyed wreck.”

 

“Oh, well, yeah, duh,” she said with a laugh.

 

He glanced at her, a little surprised at how cute she was when she giggled. He gave her a sheepish grin and said, “I guess that was obvious.” Still smiling, he picked a path into the heart of the ship.

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

Jack’s actions:

Action 1 - using Education -> Insight -> Perceptive -> Intuition -> Sixth Sense to try to get a read on the Turtle Bear's intentions.

 

Asarasa *rolls* 5d6: 2+4+2+2+4: 14

 

It is intending to attack, right until:

 

 

 

Jaime followed after the dire turtle, then stopped with his heart pounding and gorge choking as he realized what it was about to attack.

 

Quickly he charged out, placing himself right in front of the turtle, focused on it. "Stop. They're not going to hurt you see? They're looking for me. It's all right, it's all right."

 

OOC
[Jeremy] 3:00 pm: Persuasion:

Jeremy *rolls* 3d6: 5+6+1: 12 +1 =13 [sT bonus for Reasons]

 

 

The creature stopped, looking uneasy. It rolled its eyes up at Jaime and snorted irritably. It moved up next to him, taking up a defensive position at his side. To Jack, it looked as if the alien had adopted Jaime as a friend.

 

George looked to his fenine, expecting her to be ready for his command. Instead, she was standing sprawl-legged, her head down and sides heaving. She looked awful.

 

Ball is in your guys’ court now.

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

The medic bit her lip lightly, looking unsure for a moment. “I’ll help you to the doctor, and bring it. She might be able to use it to help you.” She took his arm and put it over her shoulder, moving carefully. “Here, lean on me. Try not to move your leg, to reduce the speed its circulating in your blood.”

 

She should have told you that before letting you stumble around forever.

 

The young Uer helped him over to the blonde doctor, who glanced at them sharply as they approached. “He was bitten by this,” she said, helping Morgan sit on a spare crate before offering the creature to the doctor. By now, Morgan could feel something burning up his shin.

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

For Gabriela, Talina, and Moira
I’ll post as soon as Moira does, which should be tonight.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moira listened patiently to Bellamy, nodding at the appropriate places and considering the fellow doctor's words carefully. As much as she knew the girls were attached to the animal, she also had her own concerns and weighed them carefully in her mind, doing her best to balance the pros and cons.  Her lips twitched into a small smile at the other scientist addressing Talina as her daughter.  She also allowed Gabriela to make her point, one that coincidentally led into her own concerns.  

 

"Thank you for your concern and for your understanding, Dr. Bellamy. And actually, Talina here isn't my daughter, though I can certainly understand why you'd assume as much." She smiled gently at Talina, with a brief glance at the girl's fair skin and red hair before turning back to the doctor. "My name is Dr. Moira Fitzgerald, and I'm actually onboard primarily as a psychologist and sociologist. And while you certainly have some very legitimate concerns regarding the capture of this little fellow, I have a couple of my own as well.  As I stated to your associate, 'Puff' here seems to be a very sociable creature. In fact, it seems quite intelligent and overall very friendly.  Now, you're obviously the biological science expert, but we're dealing with an alien planet here. We have know way of knowing which creatures may or may not be sentient, or even capable of reasoning. While Gabriella here makes a legitimate humanitarian argument about the treatment of native wildlife, I would go one step further and state that it's possible some of these creatures may not even be wildlife, so much as intelligent life. Until we know for certain, I have some sociological concerns regarding the capture and caging of native life. I would prefer that we don't start our existence here on Tara off on the wrong foot with any of our possible neighbors, Doctor."

 

Rolling Socialize-Presence-Persuade-Diplomacy, +1 for Diplomatic: Jasmyne *rolls* 4d6: 1+3+1+5: 10 + 1 = 11.  Ugh.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Turn Resolution

Bellamy is using Socialize >Presence > Friendly > Leadership > Approachable [specialized in Approachable] in a Socialize Conflict against Talina to bring her around to her point of view.

 

Talina needs to determine what Socialize skills she’s going to counter with and then beat 30 on a Socialize roll.

 

 

Talina declines to defend. She now has the Complication Receptive until the end of the scene: -1 to Socialize actions with instigator (Bellamy).

 

 

Bellamy’s second action is an Education attack against Moira, using Education > Formal Sciences > Logic. I added a +1 to the roll because she offered compensation to Moira’s “daughter” – and a pretty significant offer, since she’s offering to move Talina’s request for a recreational animal to the top of the list.

 

Moira needs to determine what Education skills she’s using for defense and beat a TN of 16.

 

 

I’m rolling for Moira’s player (but due to circumstances, I’m not adding the actual RP), choosing to defend with Education > Social Sciences > Psychology, 3d6: Carver *rolls* 3d6: 5+3+1: 9, failure. Moira has the Complication Convinced: -1 to further discussions with instigator (Bellamy) or on subject matter until the end of the scene.

 

 

Socialize/Negotiate : Malachite *rolls* 4d6: 5+6+5+5: 21 - 1 (EAC, Stage 2), Total of 20.

Holding second action for the moment, most likely to provide an assist to Talina or Moira.

 

 

Bellamy attempts to defend with Soclialize > Presence > Friendly > Leadership = TN 20 – tie to the PC

 

Bellamy loses one Socialize SL.

 

 

Nina *rolls* 3d6: 1+1+4: 6

 

 

Bellamy attempts to defend with Soclialize > Presence > Friendly > Leadership = TN 20 – success

 

 

Rolling Socialize-Presence-Persuade-Diplomacy, +1 for Diplomatic: Jasmyne *rolls* 4d6: 1+3+1+5: 10 + 1 = 11.  Ugh.

 

 

Bellamy attempts to defend with Soclialize > Presence > Friendly > Leadership = TN 20 – success

 

 

Bellamy looked at the sickly teen with a frown as she spoke. “This isn’t the time for that argument.”

 

Talina added her two cents and Bellamy shook her head. “Dr. Temnikova doesn’t have the authority to make that call. I do. I’d need to examine the animal closely to determine it’s safe.”

 

At Moira’s remarks, she added, “Again, no one here can tell me without a shadow of a doubt that the creature is safe or sentient. That takes scientific inquiry to determine.”

 

Seeing that none of them were satisfied, she sighed and tried again. “I know that I seem to be unreasonable. I really understand your position. But these calls are not only my decision, they are my responsibility. If I give you permission to keep the little one as a pet and you come to harm because of that, not only am I responsible, but I’d feel terrible.” She smiled at Puff. “He is awfully cute. I get why you are so fond of him.”

 

Her smile faded into somberness as she said, “We need to run scans on him and make sure he’s safe. We’re just starting to collect bacteria and viruses in the environment. We don’t know what effect they’ll have on us and us on them. We may have exposed Puff to bacteria and viruses that are harmful to him. That’s why we need to isolate and study these creatures. I recognize that with the trauma of today, we don’t want to cause more pain to these young ladies. We can’t ignore the possibility that this creature could make them ill.” 

 

Moira
Bellamy is using Logic again. The TN is 15, as she doesn’t have another offer to sweeten the deal. She’s attempting to impose a moderate Complication Resolved. Bellamy has imposed the mild prerequisite, and she’s attempting the next level.

 

Moira needs to defend with an Education defense, TN 15.

 

“So,” the chief science officer turned back to Gabriela and Talina, “I’m not being mean. I’m not being cruel. I’m protecting you in a way that brings me no pleasure. I’m asking you to hand over the little creature, or I’ll have to take him from you. I don’t want to but if I must to protect you, then I will.” She focused on Gabriela. “It’s my job to make calls about safety, not yours.”

 

Gabriela
Bellamy is attacking Gabriela now, determined to put the mild Complication of Receptive on her. She’s forgoing Approachable at this point, leaning on her Leadership alone. The TN is 20 for her Socialize defense.

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

Just before they reached the blonde doctor, she was caught up in an emergency situation for someone else. Triage put Morgan below the other patient, and left him sitting on a crate while the medic went to find another.

 

She returned shortly with an old man following her. Morgan was a little surprised as his age but there was only one man that old allowed to come. He wasn’t surprised when the doctor said, “I am Dr. Shankar.” He smiled gently as he waved a scanner over the young man’s leg. “What is your name?”

 

“Morgan Mallery,” the mechanic said, holding himself still.

 

“Nice to meet you.” Dr. Shankar glanced up at the medic. “Ms.?”

 

“Aliya Daher.” She smiled at the doctor.

 

“Ms. Daher, would you please go procure a skinfuser of 15 ccs of Duraprofen? You can use Ninuprofen if you can’t find the other but please bring me 20 ccs of that.” Dr. Shankar turned his attention to Morgan as the medic darted away. “The toxin doesn’t seem to be inhibiting your bodily functions, at least at this moment. There is some minor inflammation and swelling, so I’m sure you’re in a bit of pain, in addition to the wound itself. I’ve ordered a mild painkiller and antihistamine for you. I want you to come back if your leg or foot swells too much for your clothing to be comfortable, or if you become dizzy or feel sick.”

 

Aliya returned with the skinfuser and Dr. Shankar quickly administered the dose near the bite wound. Morgan could feel the ache and tingle in his leg start to ease. “Now,” Dr. Shankar said, peering at the creature feebly trying to escape the box, “I’m sure Cmd. Bellamy would like to have this. She’s collecting specimens of flora and fauna for study. Do you feel up to a walk, Morgan? Or would you like to entrust this to Ms. Daher and I?”

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Now is as good time as any to test the leg.  I'll find out if anything is gonna go wrong faster if I use it."  Morgan answered.  "Though I do need to get the buggy back to where it is suppose to be.  Surprised no one has thrown a fit already about it just being parked in the middle of things."

 

"I greatly appreciate the help, Doctor.  I'm sorry I was careless.  So much to get used to."  Morgan said, relieved the pain and irritation was subsiding.  "But anyway, I don't want to take up either of your time, I'm sure you are both quite busy with others who need you more.  I'll handle the land leech if you can point me at the Commander's last known location."

 

If you start changing into something on the full moon, I'm leaving you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Talina just stared at Bellamy for several second, then she let out a defeated sigh and her shoulders slumped in defeat. Lips quivering she raised the cage to her face so she cold look at her Little friend.

 

"I'm sorry Puff, I'm so sorry. I tried little guy, I really did."

 

She looked over the top if the cage and locked eyes with Bellamy, as her thumb flicked the latch to the cage open. "Fuck you."

 

Talina turned and dashed away form the group straight toward the Ship, opening the cage and taking Puff out. As soon as she cleared the crowd she broke right and angled away from the ship away for any people. Pumping her legs as fast as she could screaming at puff. "Run Puff Run! Go as far away from here as you can and don't come back don't come back" She ran until she couldn't and fell to her knees sobbing flinging him away from her screaming for him to run to get away.

 

"Run Puff Ruuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnn!"

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gabriela darted between Talina and the trio of evil, figuring that even in a panicked attempt to recapture Puff, they would pause long enough to go around the sick person instead of bowling her over. It wasn't much help, but it was as much of a head start as she could give to her now partner-in-crime. Adults suck. Why do they have to be so awful all the time? Does something break when you turn 18 or something?

 

She knew that wasn't entirely fair, and she knew she didn't care at all. They were going to make a new Earth out of Tara, instead of making it something better. Instead of being better than Earthers themselves. It was sad and infuriating at the same time. In a couple of centuries would there be dozens of space stations stuffed with the poor and unimportant and dying, too? Same shit, different planet. Sorry, Puff. We were supposed to get better and all we did was bring our baggage to your home. Maybe the death-turkeys were right. Maybe you should all try to kill us. At least you'll know to stay away now.

 

She glared at the adults, just daring one of them to say something mean and stupid. It would be par for the course so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dark brows raised in surprise at the way the Turtle Bear was cleaving to their runaway's side, Jack slowly backed up, making sure he didn't agitate the beast any further. The creature seemed to be acting as though the runaway was its friend... or maybe its alpha. This place, there wildlife here, are uncanny.

 

"You're right, we are looking for you, and we have no intention of harming your... pet," Jack assured Jamie. Glancing over at George, Jack frowned for a moment, noticing the state the fenine was in. "Um, look, I'm Jack, and you are...?"

 

"Jaime. Jaime Lowery."

 

"Right, Jaime. Not sure why you ran off, but are you willing to come back to camp with us? Preferably without... it trailing you? We don't know what will agitate the wildlife, but as we've seen, it can be dangerous, and we're still in the process of taking a head count, finding out who we lost and who we still have. We can't afford to have the survivors scattering every which way."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

George keeps his hands away from the rifle in its patrol sling across his chest, his attention being split between the Dire turtle and the rapid deterioration in Olivia. Not wanting to disturb the progress that Jack is making he keeps quiet but tries to get some idea of how the turtle thing may react.

 

OOC
George has the Animal Empathy advantage/merit so I don't know if/how that might help...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The two scientists did start after it, only to find their way blocked by the sickly Gabriela. The woman stopped but the man didn’t, and pushed past her, knocking her away. With a grunt, she landed hard against the crate. “Damnit, Carl!” his partner called, stopping next to Gabriela. “Young lady, are you okay?”

 

Meanwhile, at the rear curve of the ship, Puff rolled and tumbled through the air, landing with a wheezy little grunt. He darted away from Talina – slowly at first and then with increasing speed. People leapt out of the way, despite the scientist who shot past the kneeling teen, shrieking for people to grab it. At speed, the creature’s little gray blur resembled a mouse or rat. Even the stations had infestations of the pests, and most people were ingrained to jump away.

 

Jack, Jaime, and George
Waiting on Jaime to answer Jack.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"No." Jaime reached out and stroked the carapace of the Turtle Bear gently. "It only looks safe. It isn't. Here IS safe."

 

Jack looked a bit perplexed - this didn't make the least sense. "Why?"

 

"It just is." Jaime insisted with intensity, as if it was self-evident to all. Jack had a moment to suddenly observe the feverish look in Jaime's eyes, as the chef wiped a layer of sweat off.

 

And then threw up a bit more. "Doctor didn't know a thing. Said I shouldn't be feeling dizzy. Better here, while... I recover."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Talina watches as Puff flees and the other colonist scramble away from the small grey furball as the tears fall from her eyes then a figure in a white lab coat races past shouting for people to grab the specimen. Without hesitation Talina springs to her feet and darts after the tall scientist quickly passing him and veering in front of him and letting him run into her. Talina grabs onto him as they each stumble and crash to the ground in a jumble.

 

“Help Help Get your hands off me! Don't touch me there! Help Help!â€

 

Talins continues screaming drawing as much attention as she can while hopefully Puff escapes.

 

 

 

Dice rolls
carver was present
[Nina] 3:48 pm: calisthenics roll for Talina 2d6 +1 for fleet of foot

Nina *rolls* 2d6: 6+6+1: 13


[Nina] 3:56 pm: rolling for Talina's Blatant Lie 5d6

Nina *rolls* 5d6: 2+1+2+2+6: 13

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gabriela muttered rude things in her native Spanish, rubbing a spot on her arm where she'd fallen on a small rock. Well, that's going to bruise up just beautifullyAlso, what a dick! "My arm hurts and I think I twisted my ankle when I fell," she said darkly to the female scientist, whose name she'd never bothered to ask for. 

 

She pulled herself to her feet without help, gingerly testing her weight on the sore ankle. It wasn't broken or anything, but she wasn't going to be taking up jogging as a hobby anytime soon. Her head was swimming a little on top of everything else and she just prayed that she wasn't about to have a total-collapse episode. She'd had them twice before - the second one was when they'd declared her in Stage 2 and destroyed her chance to ever get actually get berth on the Sydney despite the fortune her parents had spent in bribes and "donations". 

 

She glared at the adults (except Moira, who was a little behind her now anyways) and declared, "Well, great job. Looks like Tara is going to just be Earth all over again. Someone should go tell the natives how screwed they are." With that spiteful barb, she turned and began to limp slowly away from the group, vaguely in the direction Talina had darted off in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Yeah, you're doing much better out here," Jack said wryly, noting the heavy sheen of sweat on Jaime and watching him vomit. Jack slowly stepped closer, his eyes flicking towards the Turtle Bear with each to watch for its reaction and intentions. "But you're right, Jaime, the docs don't know a thing. That's why you have to come back - so they can get a look at you, to learn, so they can start helping anyone else who comes down with the same symptoms. And trust me, it is safer in a group. If you get hurt out here, like..."

 

Jack turned and pointed up the narrow track down the cliff they had all taken. "... if you had tripped and fallen of the cliff path, you could've been laying out here bleeding, with broken bones or a concussion, or simply died, and no one would have known or maybe even have found you. C'mon, man, trust me, and come back with us. Better for all of us too, because otherwise, the Commander might send out a party in force to drag you back," Jack glanced significantly at the Turtle Bear at Jaime's side, "an armed party."

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once past the immediate breaches, the ship became darker and quieter...and quite a bit more creepy. The lights were mostly on, at least in the relatively undamaged areas...but it had been long enough without movement that the systems were parking into a reduced consumption mode. Dim corridors that flickered brighter as their approach was detected, creating a moving island of light that didn't let them see far ahead, or behind. Their footsteps were hollow...as empty as the hallways they moved through. It was far, far too easy to imagine one of those doors opening and unleashing some screaming alien monster onto them...but Rochelle knew it was a far less dangerous threat than the silent doses of radiation they'd be risking.

 

She knew it, but her heart refused to cooperate with that. She kept eying the doors suspiciously anyway.

 

"So," Roach said at last, just to relieve the oppressive atmosphere a bit, "...any idea how many people made it? Do we have enough?"

 

Oh, way to go. Lets take our minds off impending death by chatting about all the death that's already happened. That'll break the ice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

“What the!” The angry exclamation comes seconds before someone pulls Talina off of the guy and sets her to one side. Her “rescuer” was a young man of UU descent, both by his darker complexion and his accent. He pushed the young teen behind him and glared at the scientist, who was on one knee.  “What are you doing to her!”

 

“Nothing! She tripped me!” Seething, the scientist realized he couldn’t see the creature anymore and he swung around to face Talina. “You come with me right now, you little—little—“

 

“Mind your tongue!” The young man who had interceded stepped forward and shook his finger in the scientist’s face. “You will come with both of us, to report this to security!”

 

“What! You dumb bastard, that’s not—“ His words were cut off when the other man grabbed his coat and shook him. The two started to scream at one another, their words incomprehensible over one another.

 

Talina looked around as her distraction swung into full force; she saw Puff pause at the edge of a rock outcropping; he looked back once and then was gone, disappearing from sight. From the other direction, Gabriela and Moira were approaching. Even at this distance, the psychologist could see that there was another storm brewing around the young girl.

 

~  *  ~  *  ~

 

Hiroki shook his head, his eyes remaining on the dark shadows and corridors they were passing through. “I haven’t heard anything about our casualties. They’ll be substantial.” He winced a little. “Not that I needed to tell you that. I didn’t mean to bring up the obvious.

 

“As for if we have enough?” He shrugged pragmatically. “We will have to make due even if we don’t. I imagine we’ll all be pressed into tasks we didn’t originally intend to do.”

 

The doors to the Tower were ahead of them, and Rochelle signaled for him to stop. She ran the detector over the seams of the door and was relieved that readings were normal. Steeling herself, she opened the door and waited nervously.

 

The background radiation rose fractionally. She watched the screen, cringing a little as it ticked up another two degrees before stopping. “Is that a bad sign?” her guard asked.

 

“It’s not a great one, though this room is more likely to have a higher background level anyway.” She said it to remind and reassure herself as much as tell him. “Come on.”

 

The engine room was dark until they entered. The consoles came to life, brightening the lights rapidly and leaving them blinking at the sudden change. Rochelle took a step into the room and heard a thump behind her. She spun as what looked like a nest of snakes dropped onto and coiled around Hiroki, who didn’t scream as much as grunt as he was knocked to the floor.

 

To her horror, she realized that the ‘mass’ of snakes was one creature with multiple long tentacles. It had been draped around the railing overhead until they had passed under it.

 

Max, please let me know what Rochelle’s two actions for the first round are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Jack's words seemed to penetrate through to Jaime, but logic warred with feverish instinct in his head. It still didn't feel right at all, and felt all the worst for the new companion Jaime had acquired. He shifted uneasily, and finally looked to the Turtle Bear. "Hey," he said, clearly believing he would be fully understood. "He's got a point. But you can come with me. Okay?"

 

Unspoken was the point that if the Turtle Bear didn't, Jaime would have much more unwillingness to go back. Nor, probably, would the Turtle Bear respond well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weapon, Rochelle's brain gibbered at her. weaponweaponweapon!

 

But this wasn't a big cargo area full of dangerous things she could rewire. Engineering was designed from bottom to top to be safe. The only dangerous thing in the room was the Tower, and she wasn't going to wire THAT to go off! There wasn't even a way to start a fire or...

 

Oh hey, yeah.

 

She looked for one of the red panels set into the walls. The ship had automatic fire suppression systems, but there were also handheld extinguishers at strategic locations as a backup, and to handle things that were below the automatic threshold.

 

It wouldn't probably HURT the thing, but startle it? Maybe convince it to let go?

 

All she had was hope at this point!

 

(Action 1: Retrieve a fire extinguisher. Action 2: Spray the naughty tentacles with it.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...