Hunter the Vigil Discussion

Jess OOC

My concept for this game is an American Loyalist of Thule, who had nearly gotten arrested alongside certain friends and allies for insider trading and other misdeeds - evil vampire social influence strings pulling *yoink* - and so found it best to be shuffled over to Capetown, South Africa to fill in some gaps.

He's your classic Loyalist, gathering information and lore and backing up local hunter groups.

Edit: Or maybe something else. Still going through stuff.

To Clarify: Hunter is going to be own its continuity, but have the same geographic location?

That's a good question - our activities in this genre would probably have a serious impact on PCs and NPCs in the other games if every single one were all part of the same 'universe', if you will. Or do you STs have a plan as to how to route around that?

There's a couple of options here:

1.  Firewall Vigil off as a separate continuity.

2.  Trust players to be responsible and allow it as part of the same continuity as the rest.

The first reaction of a lot of people is for option #1, but I'd really like to believe that we could be sufficiently responsible and mature to handle option #2.  No firm decision has been made on this as of yet.

My preference is for #2, though it can get a bit finicky. A lot of the compacts and conspiracies are broad enough in scope that as long as they have some other problem to keep them occupied they don't need to go after some meddling vampires. On the other hand, the Promethean Brotherhood hunts Mages, the Bear Lodge hunts Werewolves, the Cainite Heresy hunts vampires, and to do otherwise would be a radical change to their premise.(for example)

Also if Cape Town is the setting, a TFV or VASCU presence begets certain questions...

I should point out that they've stated in the supplements for TFV that it does operate in, and is loaned out worldwide. So they certainly can be used, possibly a small group with the quiet connivance of the South African government. VASCU probably won't work.

I agree that #2 would be the best thing if we can make it work. :)

But really, the core compacts and conspiracies are all wide in scope of targets, which makes them all usable. The Cheiron Group has a branch office, the Malleus works through the local churches, etc. There's room for plenty of 'ins.'

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
OK, so here's the deal.  Mortal Remains updated all the material from the core Vigil book to 2nd Edition standards.  It didn't touch the other books.

The good news is that the various Merits and such from those other books are good to go as-is.  The bad news is that the Endowments -- both for new Conspiracies and additional ones for core Conspiracies -- would need a lot of love and attention to convert.  So we've left them out for now.

The other thing is Tactics.  These needs a good review for things that don't quite fit with the NWoD 2.0 rules.  I'm going to reach out to the general membership on this, and crowdsource a general scouring of the Tactics.  A full listing can, as always, be found in the Vigil Genre Directory.

You can find both the draft addendum and the genre directories on the usual page of the wiki, conveniently linked here. 

So talk, discuss, and let me know what you think.

- Jess

http://wiki.shadowplayinternational.org/index.php/Global_Addenda_and_Settings_Documents

1. Lucifuge being singled for global approval for tracking purposes?

2. Though endowments from Compacts and Conspiracies are not sanctioned for play, does that include the occasionally mechanical "Bonus Material" for each faction?

3. Any particular considerations for interactions with the new supernatural merits?

On the Lucifuge:  A few reasons. One, they have a set number of them in existence at any given time. Same number, never changes. All of the same lineage. Two, they're the Conspiracy that frankly gives other Conspiracies a case of the raging willies; they are, after all, what they are. Three, I've seen too many troop games that turn into Lucifuge Theatre before long, either out of the "cool factor" or whatnot.

On the Bonus Material:  pop down to the bottom:

A.    Optional Rules

1.     If an Optional Rule is not listed below as being sanctioned, that rule cannot be used within the sanctioned chronicle.  This includes anything listed as “Bonus Material” in Compacts and Conspiracies.

On the new Supernatural Merits:  "Hunter" is a Minor Template.  Per GMC p 172, "These Merits require the character remain human (nonsupernatural.)  If the character becomes a vampire, ghoul, mage, or any supernatural character type, these Merits disappear."  That means that Hunters can't have them.  This is probably a good thing; otherwise, the usual suspects who want all the cheese will stack Supernatural Merits with Endowments, sure as rain.

While I totally get not wanting Psychokinetic powers and that sort of thing permeating the game,, I don't know if "Templated=Supernatural." This bars hunters from taking the Unseen Sense merit, the original mortal-only merit, which is generally presented as relatively par for the course in hunter. (and there are a number of hunter status' that give Unseen Sense, but presumably those would still function just fine, even if a character couldn't voluntarily take the merit normally.)

Mind of a Madman also seems tailored for games that'd involve Slashers.

Given that Hunters are mortal (for a given value, anyway) templated does not automatically equal supernatural. Like Sleepwalkers or Wolf-Blooded merits, they may carry a hint of the supernatural but does not fundamentally alter the possessor's nature.

So obviously I'd allow Unseen Sense for Hunters. Unless for some reason Jess disagrees and overrules me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Character Concept:

Edgar Robinson, originally an American Single Dad and ex-serviceman whom still has some taunting memories from Iraq. He was always a little trigger happy and heard of rumors about monsters in his home town in California. He joined a cult of "monster"-hunters whom informed him of the "zombie" infection attacking children.

A few months pass and his son comes into his bed chambers and wakes Edgar up. The man freaks out and due to his military training and the brainwashing of his cult he fires his shotgun at his son without thinking twice.

An American police contact informs Edgar that they're after him. So Mr Robinson flees to Africa and eventually settles in Cape Town.... Only to find that their are real monsters here.

Edgar is still very zealous about the monster-hunting cause. He believes, or at least lies to himself, that he sacrificed his son for the greater good and is now searching for allies to help clean this world. One disgusting creature at a time.

Concept: Creepy Forensic Pathologist (mostly creepy in that he's pretty enthusiastic about his job, and he's got some poor socialization.) Corpses are a good place start as far as investigations go, and a life being taken is a good sign that there's something in the shadows that actually needs to be fought. Really just likes being helpful within his chosen vocation, though “Well, It’s Another Vampire Murder . . . . †is in effect.

Archived