[Dragonball Victory] Chapter 1: Return of the Dragonballs

Justin OOC

The Guardian had been a rumored entity, but pressed from the climb upward, Squatro was very determined to be unimpressed. "I think perhaps we can cut the speculation and you can get to the point. Who were those people, what precisely IS a Dragonball and why were they intent on acquiring it to the point of mass murder?"

He folded his arms and stood firm. The others were getting distracted, so someone needed to steer them on track.

"Dragonballs?" She started trying to remember... if she even knew of such a thing, but she drew a blank.

"I highly doubt it was some sort of artifact of high value. Art Thieves would not have that sort of firepower... this suggests a political motivation. Then again to use this degree of firepower is..."

She shook her head. Turning her head to Squatro. "I wager the only persons here who would know..." She looked to Gen and Dende. "...are these two."

"Someone was damn interested in that 7.5 Centimeter Spheroid given to the late Champion... and they were willing to kill with obscene firepower, taking innocent lives to steal it..."

She closed her eyes, her face tense. "Heartless Scum..."

The Guardian looked at Gen who shrugged.  "i let it slip when they showed up, killed Garlon and took it..."

Dende shook his head.  "Well it was bound to happen anyway.   They have a nasty habit of wanting to be found."

He looked at the assembled warriors.   "What was taken was known as a Dragonball.  There are seven of them, all the same size, with one to seven stars upon them.  Each has a minor special property, But it is when the whole set is brought together that their true power is known.   They can summon the Eternal Dragon Shenron, and he can grant three wishes to those who have done so."

"Wealth, power, immortality, the resurrection of the dead, All of this can be done by Shenron, and have been done in the past.   I do not know how others learned of the dragonballs' power, but there is no other reason than knowledge of the truth to pursue them with such overwhelming force.  For that Reason i need you all to go and find them.   Secure at least one Dragonball, and we can stop them from making their wishes."

"I cannot leave this lookout save the most dire of circumstance, so I need all of you to go forth and accomplish this task."

Lord Dende’s words cut through her terror. Combined with Gen’s utter lack of intention to breed her at this moment, Datura was able to pull herself together. She listened tersely, her mind pondering all she’d heard. Wishes? Magic? It all sounded like insanity and she wasn’t going to accept it on face value. What she could accept is that someone else believed in it, and would kill or worse to get these balls.

Karmahl’s reaction drew a wry snort out of her. “Then it’s too late for us anyway. They have the balls, they would have already done their ritual or whatever. It’s likely they have their ‘wishes’ and they’ve already used them.”

“We would know if they had summoned Lord Shenron. The effects are singular and global,” Lord Dende said. He looked grimly pleased. “I doubt they would hesitate to summon him, so they likely don’t possess all of the balls yet.”

“Then we have time.” Datura narrowed her eyes. “Do we have any clues about where the balls can be found?”

"That... I put into motion to answer, everyone."

Tetsuko adjusted her suit. "Before I left I called back to headquarters to collect and analyze as much evidence as they could in regards to who attacked us. We find out who did... and we can start narrowing down from whence they came. That and there was video taken of the attack, looking that over you can see their tactics and use that to narrow down suspects. Sadly the energy trail of the teleportation technology or abilities they used left a trail that faded away too quick for tracing."

She adjusts her self. "And if these balls are indeed what they are... if we can find one, perhaps we should find them all. If they can bring back the dead, we can bring back those that were murdered at the arena earlier today. Perhaps even Garlon. I'm... not one to buy into superstition, particularly in magic that completely breaks the laws of reality beyond what we can accomplish with Ki, but, I'm starting to learn there is more to the world than just what I am seeing. Even with my eyes."

"Although it is my duty and original directive to protect the people of the world from terrorist threats, I would answer the call without hesitation without such original purpose. What they did is inexcusable... I was in the moment innocent blood was spilled, and I'll help whoever goes on this mission see it through." She closed her eyes in thought.

"Something that powerful would give off some sort of latent energy... if there was a way to detect it, sort of like a thermographic sensor for magic... we could have an edge. I think the attackers knew the Dragonball was being given to the Champion somehow, perhaps through a rat..."

She clapped her hands. "That means they are just as clueless to where the other Dragonballs are as we are... no insult intended, but that means we are at the same handicap right now! Dende, is there a means to detect the energy a Dragonball puts out? Also we should return to the arena... I have a feeling the Rat might still be there that let slip what the prize was... they might know who did this."

Shiori was silent, letting the others talk as her mind whirled. The others had all missed something, in her view, and she desperately wished the others would go away so she could speak with Dende privately about several matters of interest.

The power of the gods. The power to end the curse. Better yet, the power to return the lives lost.

The memories she'd snatched had hinted, but to have confirmation...more than ever her disguise felt like a shackle now. Was she ready to leave it behind, at least with these others?

...no. Not yet. Too much to risk, and not nearly enough to gain. And once spilled, those beans could never be regained.

And it wasn't TOO far out of character, really. Sometimes the simple could see things others missed.

"Um, excuse me?" Shiori piped, and raised her hand eagerly as if it was a school assignment. "How did something like that wind up being given away as a prize in a tournament in the first place? Maybe we should start with the tournament organizers and find out where they got it!"

Dende nodded once.  "I cannot guide you to where they have gone, Somehow they are able to block even my sight.  Saying that I can locate each of the remaining balls, and I'm sure that Genichiro will be happy to take you all there."  He reached into the folds of his robes and pulled out a small back, removing a single bean.   "The last one I have.   It should restore you enough to make the jump to first dragonball.   Gen took it and in an instant knew where he had to go.  "Thank you Dende, We won't waste this.  I'll bring the ball back here for safekeeping."

"That will be fine.  Should you gather all seven, I will grant you all the password needed to summon the dragon and make the wish 3 of you most desire."  He looked at the others.  "How you decide to spend the wishes is your business, but know this, I will be watching, all of you."

Genichiro ate the bean and those who could sense Ki noticed an immediate surge in his power as he was restored to his full power.  "Gods yes, that's so much better." 

He looked at everyone.  "Same deal as before, everyone touch everyone else, and we'll be off."  That they did so so quickly surprised him, and together, they vanished, The quest had begun.

End chapter 1,   5 cp to everyone.

Archived