Mutants & Masterminds:Not recruiting but...

Sailor OOC

I thought I'd start some form of brainstorming. I'd like there to be another game here, M&M to be exact, but right now there isn't a M&M game here.

Perhaps we could start some way of getting a M&M game up and running?

We could use this to brainstorm a world if need-be.

I have always been wanting to play in a modern setting where the heroes are just emerging not like in aberrant but more like how they were portrayed in the Comic book Ultimate's. Or in the Warren Ellis adaption of the New Universe.

But i dont like the thought of fight crime as a focus I have always thought that supers should have a clear outside adversary. Something that treatend all of humanity and a few heroes are imbued with powerss to fight teh advesary. Sort of Ultimates meet cuthulu or somehtign

If you want to fight crime i would go with the lower lever powers like the other proposal.

I like the term Persons of Mass Destruction Lol

But really I think the power lever should be dependent on how strong we want the adversaries to be. Another Book I really Liked was the fisrt vol of the Authority.. While i don't mind playing street level heroes im very fond of the powerhouses.

I was thinking that supers in this world would have more realistic roles to their powers. More combat capable supers would end up in the military while intellectuals would be spearheading scientific endeavors. Socials? They would become super-celebrities.

I would also think to make sure we aren't so far afield so that we could use the real world's timeline, we could set the "pop" moment perhaps around the turn of the millennium, giving us just 10 years or so to have the world start to adjust. That and it would not have things diverge too far off from the normal in terms of technology with brainiacs moving the goal pots almost daily possibly.

I would have the Pop even closer and make the adjustment of the world to these new gods be part of it. I wouldnt populate the world with lots of heres I would leave it at teh PCs and maybe a couple of doezen npc supers. but again it all depends on teh power level we aim for.

that would be cool the St basically in charge of a meta plot which could intrude occasionally into the individual stories

St puts forth some guide lines for basics including a State of the Setting and then the players take if in the directions they want to telling their stories with in the setting . sort of a like a shared universe anthology. and every so often the ST will put in a new update tying it together and advancing the meta plot

Well we have had open world here before, in fact one of the sites this current site is made of (NPrime) was a Aberrant open world based around the meta of Aberrant. Thing is OW recently has a bad track record here, not because of power creep but more from player interest. The first few months it grabs attention but then it trails off. I think what can help is offering a few different facets of the world that players can join into. Each one has a separate moderator, but the moderators collaborate with each other to move the world forward through their activities. Also the moderators help each other with the world and can occasionally let some things cross over between them.

yeah i like that collaborative effort of different stories in one shared world.  By the Way i think Shared World is a Better Description  Than open world  i know its semantics but to me Open World implies ahtt the STs can literally do anyhting with itn their stores but I still think you would need a Central Story Teller to oversee the whole thing though not to direct it but to produce it to make sure that the world stays consistent. yhus  shared World.

i also think that the Players need to be the main focus.  what ever hero the players have in what ever thread I think those heroes need to be the Main Heroes of the world. The players need to be playing the Fantastic Fours, the Avengers the supermans and Batmans and Spidermans of this world Not just some new supers who just got their powers and hope to one day to become like those big heroes.  i have some more thoughts on this but its late and i have to get up early for class,

See ya tomorrow

'Collaborative Storytelling' is the actual term.  It's essentially a group of people telling a story all at once.  I'm sure you're familiar with the concept 'Mad Libs', or any angsty drama on television since the dawn of Buffy and Angel or Lost Girl or Continuum.  Pick a genre.  Picture every actor in those series being different PC and tell the story picking up where the other author left off.  The concept of a 'Central Storyteller' is what kills these Open World games before they start, because everyone gravitates to that Storyteller for direction and and stories and never bother to come up with stories of their own.

The moment you announce 'So-n-so' is the Central ST... everyone will begin to plague that guy/gal with questions about 'what they're looking for' or 'what kind of a world will it be'.

It should be obvious that the players (or the STs, in this case) are the heroic protagonists of the stories, it'd be pretty boring if you guys made characters, then proceeded to have them remain silent while all your not so awesome supporting cast had all the good scenes.

If you want a comic book world... simply make a character, a super one, and start writing.  Let the world build itself as you create the landscape in your mind.  Keep what you like, retcon what you don't.  We see it done in television and comics all the time.

Simply put, talk less and do more.  That's the easiest way to get things started, simply start writing stories.  I liked this site a lot more when we did collaborative stories, once we moved to a strictly game venue, everyone just got lazy.  We'd do 40-50 posts/night in a decent story in a rich world filled with action and drama... now this place is lucky to see 6-8 posts/week.

what we have so far

M&M 3rd edition game system

a supers setting based in our world using as much of the real world time line as we can adjusted for obvioues things to fit the addition of supers

a Technology level also based on current tech but possibly with limited advanced tech becoming availabl as supers develop it?

a wolrd that has only had supers for a very short time  maximum of a decade, minimum 1-2 years?

A wolrd event which caused the supers to spontaneously develop. event may have been a cosmic accident or a designed event?

A world threatening advesary(s) which will necessitate the heroes to come together to protect the planet. advesary may or may not be known of at beginning of chronicle.

a shared/colabrative/semiopen world where multiple stories can be told by multiple story tellers under one umbrella.

i got two possibilties to maybe chew on.

1. noooooo

2. the Large Hadron Collider. During one of its experiments the colider creates a new particle which goes undetected. these particles spray out across the planet and interact with some humans triggering the latent super powers.advantages of this trigger is it's compleatly random and can accomadate differing power levels and has the advantage of occuring more than once. it is also an unddetected event and once a super brain discovers the particle and be put to further uses.

i like  number 2

'Collaborative Storytelling' is the actual term.  It's essentially a group of people telling a story all at once.  I'm sure you're familiar with the concept 'Mad Libs', or any angsty drama on television since the dawn of Buffy and Angel or Lost Girl or Continuum.  Pick a genre.  Picture every actor in those series being different PC and tell the story picking up where the other author left off.  The concept of a 'Central Storyteller' is what kills these Open World games before they start, because everyone gravitates to that Storyteller for direction and and stories and never bother to come up with stories of their own.

The moment you announce 'So-n-so' is the Central ST... everyone will begin to plague that guy/gal with questions about 'what they're looking for' or 'what kind of a world will it be'.

It should be obvious that the players (or the STs, in this case) are the heroic protagonists of the stories, it'd be pretty boring if you guys made characters, then proceeded to have them remain silent while all your not so awesome supporting cast had all the good scenes.

If you want a comic book world... simply make a character, a super one, and start writing.  Let the world build itself as you create the landscape in your mind.  Keep what you like, retcon what you don't.  We see it done in television and comics all the time.

Simply put, talk less and do more.  That's the easiest way to get things started, simply start writing stories.  I liked this site a lot more when we did collaborative stories, once we moved to a strictly game venue, everyone just got lazy.  We'd do 40-50 posts/night in a decent story in a rich world filled with action and drama... now this place is lucky to see 6-8 posts/week.

I actually am in agreement with this. This could work, we just need to build a framework of a world this will work in.