Mutants & Masterminds:[M&M 3] Fallen Eagle - A One-Shot (?) Adventure

Sailor OOC

12 days ago you received a E-mail you thought was sent from your mentor, a superhuman mercenary by the name of Golden Eagle, one who took you under his wing and you sort of regarded as family for what he did for you. He was forming a team that could go to the hot-spots of the world and help the less fortunate, using his substantial fortune to back operations on the cheap for those small nations or humanitarian organizations needed when they needed protection or action in warzones.

But the message was not what you expected.

Hello.

If you are receiving this message, then I know you at least
through my Father's contacts. At approximately 0300 GMT he
was killed by an unknown superhuman assailant. I have reason
to believe that the unknown assailant has aid from other
superhumans.

I also have reason to believe that I may be next, as this
may be a old grudge that spans more than a few decades.

I have sent this message to all of those that my Dad's
mentored over the years in the hope I can get some help. I
might not be long for this world otherwise.

I don't have his bulletproof skin or his ability to lift
tanks.

I am aware he gave you the ability to decrypt a certain
code that he used to hide information in his messages.

I have the location with which I want to meet everyone.

Prepare yourself to meet with me in 5 days.

- Kaylee

With this message in your inbox, you have an important decision to make...

The Sell
This is a Mutants and Masterminds game. It will have standard costs, based on Power Level 8 caps, but with 180 power points available for character generation. This is intended to be a single adventure, the group of mercenaries brought together to avenge their mentor and bring down or bring to justice whomever killed him.

As such there won't be experience points between threads as the story advances. Once the adventure concludes the option to continue on I am willing to offer.

House Rules

No Time Travel Powers

Mecha are considered Vehicles in this setting, and as such are constructed using equipment points, not power points. Keep in mind what you construct needs to be able to masquerade as a vehicle.
Powersuit-like Devices are not allowed, but gadgets and tactical gear (like blasters, body armor, or easily removed devices) are.

Equipment doesn't add to your caps in terms of Toughness saves. That means armor adds to your toughness save without contributing towards your cap.

Whenever you are hit by a damage effect (or anything that causes a toughness save) and that effect is greater than your equipment bonus' toughness you risk damaging or breaking your armor. I'm pretty much treating it like a toughness save, failing where it causes staggered or stunned results for your armor just means it suffers a -1 penalty to what it grants until repaired, and a incapacitated result causes it to completely fail.

It is important to note if anything is destroyed that was purchased as equipment, that will take far longer to replace than a device, and I am not beholden to offer the opportunity to replace it like I am for devices, that and you don't get hero points when your equipment is stolen or destroyed. Keep that in mind. Either rely on downtime for repair or replacement. If the game continues past this adventure, I may enact a rule where anything destroyed in the previous mission will have time to be repaired or replaced.

Addendum: I'm only allowing equipment purchased armor to grant up to +4 toughness. I won't allow anything bigger than +4.

What I'm looking for

I'm looking for characters that are mercenaries, but not the type usually expected. You have what is considered by other mercenaries to have too high of a moral and ethical compass, and was about to get into it for the right reasons with Golden Eagle's backing. With him gone, what he did for you is his legacy.

Expectations

I'd like 1 post a week, or posting within 24 hours of your turn coming up in combat initiative.
The game is going to be high action and combat, so prepare your character accordingly. Having 180 points to work with should provide something.

This is going to be for the fun of it, think of this as The A-Team meets The Expendables. And there will be explosions.

So... Who's up for this?

I need to learn how to actually PBP sometime, given my prior bad luck with it.  A one-shot adventure with a relatively narrow concept range of characters sounds ideal.  That the basic idea also speaks muchly to my preferences is all right.

Tentatively, and it may entirely change if I think of something better, I am going to go with a Chaotic Good ex-military hillbilly type who is hell on wheels in a fight, but wasn't able to stay in the army due to... let's just say when a green second lieutenant with a very rich and politically-connected father makes an incredibly poor decision that leads to unacceptable civilian casualties somewhere in Iraq, clearly it was the fault of the squad leader nearest the incident and the platoon commander had nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with it.

After that I ended up doing PMC work because there wasn't even a family farm to go back to and I didn't know anything except soldiering, and the Golden Eagle eventually picked me up from there because I stood out both on talent and re: having scruples, even if they are rough-hewn sorta scruples.

God only knows what, if any, superpowers I will have.  I may just go with being That Damned Good, a PL8 super-normal.  If I go with not, my super-origin occurred after my dishonorable discharge, while I was busy living the wonderful life of a dude from rural bumfuck, with a GED, and a dishonorable discharge (i.e., pumping gas somewhere)... and then I went into PMC work, as an Aberrant elite kinda situation.

Edit: Ohhhh, this is 3rd edition, duh.  I've only played 2nd edition.  Well, I do have the rulebook around here somewhere... time to learn, I guess.

Not bad... sounds like two so far and I might have one more on the side coming... only been up a few hours too. ^_^

If I get enough I might start as soon as everyone gets characters in. I do want people to wait until later Saturday though, I think I'm going to add a couple more restrictions/house rules so you guys know what you're doing.

im in, i'll give the rules a going over and come up with a concept :)

update: picked up the actual physical rule book at 2nd chance books while shopping for school stuff...hey it's quality of life material, stress relief and all that.

i defiantly have a character germinating in my twisted little mind :)

Actually I will lay it down here, and update the first post as well.

1: Equipment doesn't add to your caps in terms of Toughness saves. That means armor adds to your toughness save without contributing towards your cap.

2: Whenever you are hit by a damage effect (or anything that causes a toughness save) and that effect is greater than your equipment bonus' toughness you risk damaging or breaking your armor. I'm pretty much treating it like a toughness save, failing where it causes staggered or stunned results for your armor just means it suffers a -1 penalty to what it grants until repaired, and a incapacitated result causes it to completely fail.

3: It is important to note if anything is destroyed that was purchased as equipment, that will take far longer to replace than a device, and I am not beholden to offer that opportunity like I am for devices, that and you don't get hero points when your equipment is stolen or destroyed. Keep that in mind. Either rely on downtime for repair or replacement. If the game continues past this adventure, I may enact a rule where anything destroyed in the previous mission will have time to be repaired or replaced.

Addendum: I'm only allowing equipment purchased armor to grant up to +4 toughness. I won't allow anything bigger than +4.

Also if I see anyone attempting to sport a +14 or greater Toughness save, there will be... Trouble.

Uh.... you do know you get 5 equipment points for every power point...

Also I am going to remove the armor rule... equipment does contribute to the caps after all. Normal rules for caps. Although vehicles do not... they're their own thing. 

Well if you gotta go Chuck, you gotta go. Seems this won't be taking off as fast as I once thought.

Uh.... you do know you get 5 equipment points for every power point...

Edit: Yes, I am aware of the basic rules, thank you. (rant snipped)

'

In fact, that rule is exactly why I can't go back and buy as Devices all the stuff I was planning to get as Equipment; because Equipment is a lot cheaper than Devices are.

PS: Next time you post a house rule that equipment users are going to get their stuff broken (and broken often, given how often you take hits like that in combat) and maybe not replaced for sessions at a time, don't be surprised when people planning a heavily equipment-based build take one look and go "NOPE".