[BESM 3e] The Trailblazers of the Galaxy

Sailor OOC

C569cUt.jpg?1

The Trailblazers of the Galaxy

The Situation
It is the year 2437, and Mankind has traveled further than it has ever done in it's existance. Discovering hundreds of worlds, and colonizing a few. Even meeting up with a few young civilizations around Terran space and making alliances. Eventually the space 300 light years around the Sol System was turned into a vast alliance of worlds, the Intra-Solar Alliance (ISA). As time progressed, the burgeoning young interstellar republic needed to expand to more colonial worlds, both for resources, and for places to live, so bold plans were placed underway to create a exploration fleet that can secure a planet and check their safety for other colonists. Formed of the best and brightest from each of the 13 systems, these new age explorers are genetically enhanced and sent off to explore the vast unknown past the shores of the fringes of ISA space.

Yours is a team specifically chosen for their skill to survive, and their ability to persevere when the going gets tough. After all, can't get your own ship through just being curious, right?

Expectations and Theme
This is a story of exploration on the frontiers of space, facing danger, finding new and mysterious life forms, and fighting alien monsters and encountering evil empires. You know, your classic fast-food of Science Fantasy that all the kids like. Also note this will be a mix of tropes from Western and Asian science fiction... Although even though this system is called Big Eyes, Small Mouth, This won't be a specifically Anime setting. Think Mass Effect meets Halo meets Star Trek meets Galaxy Quest meets Macross... And they had a well rounded child they put through Harvard where they boozed up and still got their Doctorate in Astrophysics. Be prepared for Technobabble, Curious Androids, Space Fighters, Space Robots, giant monsters, and plenty of space pirates and moral dilemmas. Your group is rough and tumble, made tougher through cybernetics and genetic engineering to be better than the best and better than the rest. Each of the races in the ISA are human-like in tolerances and ability, and it seems bipedal life forms are the norm across the board, at least in ISA space. Although some have sensory capabilities better than human baselines.

When creating your character, realize outside of genetic modification and cybernetic overhauling you are still mortal, and not superheroes or super-soldiers. But what you are is tough enough and trained enough to handle the rigors of exploring unknown space!

All players must be able to post at minimum once a week or on their turn during combat. If you are AWOL for a week (that is not posting for any stated reason) you will be moved to the background. If you are AWOL for 3 weeks a horrible fate will await your character chosen by me. And it will assuredly be fatal.

Character Creation House Rules - BESM Third Edition, 350 Points
Here is the basics to know:

Rolling Rules:
6,6 always hits and does double damage for PC's
6,6 is auto hit for anything attacking
6,6 auto defense for anything defending
1,1 always misses for attacks
1,1 always fails for power activation
1,1 always hit when rolled for defense

Defender always wins

Reduced to negative HP: Characters with regeneration regenerate all negative HP in one turn, regardless of how deep they go, so long as they do not die. The use of a healing power on somone in negative heal will always bring them up to at least 0 hp, regardless of how deep into the negatives they are.

There is no limit on Tough, or Energy bonus.
I am changing their costs to 1 cp per rank. Each rank gives you 10 hp or 10 ep.

Starting HP  and EP equal 300/150, regardless of body mind and soul.
They can be increased through purchase of tough/energy bonus.

Regeneration can be used for EP or HP, but must be decided at Character creation, You may have both kinds.

Powerflux and dynamic powers are banned.

If these house rules are familiar, it is because Justin is helping me with the rules, leaving me to focus more on the story aspects of the game. He will have a character in this, who will be assisting the rest of the group.

So, if you're interested in the trip of a lifetime, shout out here. Also mention what you're thinking of playing.

Note that anything that isn't something a human would normally have, it has to be explainable through genetic modifications or cybernetics. There isn't any paranormal powers at all in this game. No space magic, no psychic powers.

Another few notes...

Your character is a bit more tied to the rules of reality on this: You can't be immune to space. Although you can be genetically engineered or through cybernetics equipped to handle radiation, eventually being in vacuum WILL kill you. Or being on a planet without food or supplies. The only way you can be immune to the ravages of certain types of deprivation is through equipment and rations. And those last only for certain lengths of time.

Your characters though will be issued the bare bones basics for immediate emergencies, and will be issued gear useful for hazardous environments, or easily accessed rations. Most of the time.

Also please for the love of mike take a few levels of the survival skill, I believe there are specialties for sci-fi settings you can take too. If you don't see one, ask and I'll see if it fits. Also try to take a few levels of some sort of vehicle skill. Never know when you'll need it. Same for medicine. (As the races of the ISA are close to human, you don't need zenobiological specialties).

Tone

The tone of this game will be light to the point that it's not something like Battlestar Galactica. It's not Noble Bright to the extreme, either. There will be moral dilemmas, glowering bad guys, and the occasional fight with space leviathans... but hey, all in a day's work, right?

Dying
In this game, it can happen. If you're more negative than your starting health (So for instance at 300 Health, you'd be at more than -300) you're dead. But in this game I am ruling there is a threshold of half of your health more where if your character can be taken to a medical facility within 1 hour, you may still be saved from dying. I will take half of any unspent XP though (through trauma), and you lose 1 Mind temporarily from the experience, which is recovered with a number of days equal to your final negative health before healing divided by 50.

Also, Vacuum will put you unconscious in 3 turns, and kill you in 6 unless you're adequately protected. Not from damage but from the sheer inhospitable nature of Space... and the same rules for over-damage apply for rescue, with a 7 day recovery period for your mind penalty.

Oh, and there is no "Catastrophic Damage" in this game.

A note on Alien players

If you choose to play as an alien, outside of what I have admonished above I want a write-up on your species' homeworld. Nothing major, but the more detail there is I will add a bonus to the Background CP you earn for a good background... As a multiplier to your background CP.

1 Page/500 words: 1.25x CP (rounded naturally)

2 Pages/750 words: 1.5x CP (rounded naturally)

3 pages+/1000+ words: 2x CP

Note There is diminishing return after 3 pages as you get the same reward.

Also to review what has been mentioned about aliens...
1: They're near-human in capabilities and appearance. Nothing exotic. Although odd color skin, light fur, or animal-like hybrids are fine.
2: No psychic/magical powers

3: ISA culture is cosmopolitan so unless you're raised on a backwater Agri-world, you're probably not a fish out of water (and thus should take the appropriate defects depending on how severe your lack of socialization with ISA society was.)

4: Humans are looked on as a weird paradox. At first as Humanity initiated first contact with the other 12 races of the ISA, they were looked at as wise and benevolent travelers, but when they looked at Humanity's history, they saw they were just as messed up as they were. How humanity managed to straighten it's act out is talked about like some strange Human secret to understanding peace with one's self...

Also... "Can we play as Androids or full conversion cyborgs?"

Answer: Have I said you couldn't? ;) Just be sure to note that you trade the benefit of machine-like immunities for needing routine maintenance (custom defect I will assign. You tell me how bad you want it, and you will get the points for it.)

If you want I have two ideas. Both I am thinking on making heavy skill based. One is an basic survivalist. Someone whom knows how to survive and has done so several times as well as has some background in the military. The other is an technician style character. I may make him a very quirky character whom tries to do too much into things.

The Survivalist might work out in some situations, but might be a "fifth wheel" in most circumstances. The Technician will be great in a High-tech setting, as long as they're at least decent in a fight or on some uninhabited backwater planet.

One note, the survivalist, he will have combat training from his military background, I assume? That might provide some diversification.

Okay as there isn't much else I can really do or say right now, as I think I've sold it as best I can, I am still quite looking for players.
If I don't see further movement by the end of the week I will start recruiting off-site for more players.

Addendum: Just started recruiting from friends right now.

I think what might help is describing some of the races of the Interstellar Alliance. This might help loosen some interest. Starting off with the first member of the ISA... Sometimes called Terrans, but otherwise, Humankind.

Note this now is the Races Listing.

Humanity hails from Sol III in the middle of the home galactic arm of the ISA. Sol itself isn't a remarkable star outside of it's stability for it's size and it's multitude of worlds orbiting it. But it's only intelligent life form, Terrans, are the most remarkable thing to spawn from it. Managing to move past their destructive tendencies and becoming the first known civilization to develop FTL technology, Humanity spread as quick as they could to every planet they could find that was uninhabited. Making contact with 12 other spacefaring civilizations yet to crack the secrets of FTL.

As Time Progressed, Humanity started forming trade and political alliances with the other members of what would become the ISA, helping where they could. Many races at first saw Humanity as some benevolent alien race moving from star to star spreading their wisdom. Once they found out Humanity was just like them, it actually fostered a greater trust.

Humans are considered the baseline for other races in the ISA, as Humans have the most common biology and social norms within the ISA. Also Humans are the best example of internal medicine, as things that work on humans work on the other 12 races of the ISA.

Humans live for 300 years biologically, and that is with their advanced medicine, when cybernetics are factored in the typical human may live for closer to 3000 years, and that is taking into consideration cybernetic failure.

Humans also are incredibly interested in "upgrading" themselves, never satisfied with just being themselves they put their bodies through all sorts of genetic upgrades and cosmetic changes. In fact you may be Terran but not look like a baseline Terran. And if you're a cyborg, then you can look however you like.

If one thing the other races have discovered about Terrans... is that Terrans are never satisfied with being "normal".

The Eddarin

The Eddarin are mistakenly called by Humans "Elves", although compared to myth, the Eddarin aren't that much more beautiful, and their ears are quite pointed. Their world has gone through seismic upheavals in the last 100 years, from the close-passing of a rogue planet drifting past their home star. This forced them to start considering evacuating their home world for a time until the geologic damage caused by the close-pass of the planet subsides as the captured orbit of the rogue slowly plunges it into the star.

The Eddarin are an accomplished space-faring race, although they are careful in how they explore, only hopping a couple of star systems at a time. They are also a bit paranoid about encountering other species, usually sticking to wearing their environmental "encounter" suits when on strange worlds or are visiting hub worlds to keep from getting sick. Although their immune systems are robust, the encountering of diseases actually degrades their ability to avoid aging, and their medicine while it can reverse the damage it can cause sudden aging from their usual prime to an elderly state if a particularly nasty alien bug gets into their body. The Eddarin are afraid of aging, thus motivating their use of such drastic measures around others. Of course on Eddarin spacecraft and colonies they have the reverse happen, having visitors dress in containment suits until the persons are "sufficiently safe" for interaction.

The Kemo

While the name of this species is sort of unpronounceable without having an animal-like voicebox, the Humans found a fitting name for this animal-like species. Their animal ears and tails and practically human bodies made them an instant curiosity to Humans. That and Humanity is curious how they have the ears and tails of earth animal kinds... In fact as the first race the Humans encountered the two became quick allies. The Kemo live on the planet Stren, a cosmopolitan world that's part resort, part amusement park, and part industrial juggernaut. The Kemo are shrewd traders and merchants, although they also live off of a philosophy of honesty and integrity that make them trusted, yet sometimes naive at the same time among the other merchants of the ISA. Also the Kemo are notorious explorers going out as far as they can. In fact it was a Earth ship that found a Kemo exploration ship dead in space, adrift and slowly running out of life support, and the Earth crew rescued them. In return the earth ship got a more efficient FTL engine (as the rest of the Kemo ship was scrap anyways) and the Kemos accompanied the human crew back to their space station at Proxima Centauri. The rest as they say, is history.

I have told someone that they are not welcome in this game. I just don't have the mental stamina to constantly babysit them.

Down to one player now. If I don't see any others by the end of the month (or sooner) I am dropping this. I'm also not going to be posting further information regarding the game as right now I don't feel I should waste time on a game that might not fire.

Okay. Lets me just state this rebecca. I am sick and tired of feeling like I have to be follow every loop for you. You may be a gm, but that does not give you a right to be a dick to me. I admit I make mistakes in a game. I am here to have fun, yet whenever I get into an game with you it just feels like I am nothing but shit to you. Whatever I do, you feel like or I am inferior to you or if I mess up one thing on my character then you go ballistic. Guess what, I am human. I just want to play a character and have fun. I am not an great novelist or writer, I admit that, yet I don't like to be treated like a child.  If you don't want me to be in your games just state so from the start and it will save both of us time and energy then just me or you getting stressed out over the whole thing. You stated in public that you don't want to deal with me fine. I understand, we just can't get along when it comes to games here. If you really feel like I am going to ruin your game or just can't follow directions to your specializations then just ban me from the game. I rather know that I am not wanted in a game or site then go there constantly in the hope of having fun and in the end being disappointed.

Also as a heads up to other player's/gm's. I am just plain sick and tired of constantly working on a character then in the end just things fall to shit and either the game does not even start or just get kicked out for the stupidest of reasons. Okay, I admit one game I  kinda sucked at. The other games I tried to put effort into them and be into character, especially after another incident unrelated to the one in which the game I was playing I sucked at. I try to follow the guidelines as best I can. I just do things different then you, and I have try to complied with what you wanted me to do in order to try to make things better. I just feel frustrated at not being able to play at all. I want to improve my role playing skills and have general fun, but I can't do it if I have no one to play or the game falls to pieces before I can really get to improve such skills. I am just fed up with things in that aspect. If this is an rant then I apologize. I am just... tired of feeling like I don't belong here.

I really do care about the site and I like the people here. From what I read on the chat area and in the forms when I can you are an interesting and intellectual type of people. You are witty and fun to be around.  I may not be as active as others, but I want to get into the games and have fun. That's the whole goal for me being here. I have difficulty getting to role playing games where I am at. Either I can't find them or I can't get to them when they do pop up. So I have to go on the web in order to get into role playing. As such I want to get into an game and just relax. I am not here to be real impressive or be showing. If you feel that I am doing that then tell me so I can work on not being that. Also if you do not want me here then tell me now so I know if I should stay or go.

Ace, you do realize I didn't call out who was responsible for my frustrations with this game publicly until you outed yourself?

I don't want to re-tread what I talked about in chat with you, and to put me on blast here suddenly when I am in a pretty fragile state mentally to begin with is NOT COOL.

We're never going to mesh. That's how I feel. I'm not going to state my problems here as 1: I don't want to further frustrate you and 2: I don't want to drag our conflict out publicly.

As that little back and forth made this idea toxic (and I apologize for that), I'm giving this until after the 4th of July weekend to see if more than Justin is interested, and I'll try to get more people in from elsewhere, but if this killed the proposal then I'm gonna be pretty pissed. I don't want to give this up though.

Archived