Mutants & Masterminds:M&M3E Emerald City

Dave ST

So... yeah...

7 characters (including Max, who I'm waiting on). 6 of them are females, 1 of them is gay.

I'll admit, this is a frustrating thing about STing.

2 of you are going to have to change your gender. I don't care who, and it's for you guys to decide, but it has to happen. Sac up boys.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. I draw the line here. No further. Gale stays a girl.

Really? You're making a big deal over playing a female? Seriously, you're talking like Reven's asking you to change every single thing about your PC, when in reality, all he wants is an innie to be an outie.

Get over it. That kind of attitude - that there is something major and huge about being one gender over the other - contributes to sexism in the world. Does your gender define you? Fuck yes, but only because society says so and we don't punch society in the mouth.

Really? You're making a big deal over playing a female? Seriously, you're talking like Reven's asking you to change every single thing about your PC, when in reality, all he wants is an innie to be an outie.

Get over it. That kind of attitude - that there is something major and huge about being one gender over the other - contributes to sexism in the world. Does your gender define you? Fuck yes, but only because society says so and we don't punch society in the mouth.

First did you notice I edited that response back? Second, I don't see why it is an issue to have an almost entire female team. There is far more to be concerned about in a game than the "input to output" ratio.

Because either situation (All male or all female team) is implausible unless the campaign specifically calls for it, like a magical girl team or something. In the end it's a pet peeve of Dave's so that is why it matters. It's not much different than when I ran Age of Heroes and said "No Anime."

Honestly Rev, if being gay wasn't as intertwined with his family relationship then I'd just make Cryostorm straight.

I was thinking of using a version of Stalwart, who was a minor NPC in my old LCU game; I'll have to see what i can do with him. If i can't make a workable version of him I like, I might just pass on the game, which is cool. It will take me a day or so to reconfigure him.

First did you notice I edited that response back? Second, I don't see why it is an issue to have an almost entire female team. There is far more to be concerned about in a game than the "input to output" ratio.

Yes, please do draw attention to your annoying habit of speaking your mind and then retracting your words later. That's specifically why I quoted you, because I didn't feel like looking like a jackass to someone who may read this months from now. Learn to engage your filters before you start typing.

Also, beyond the issues that Cyro mentioned above, there's one more simple fact. While I don't mind playing a guy in some games, I do mind that I have to play one in almost every game that Reven runs because so few people play guys. I get really tired of the fact that there are guys here that won't RP their own gender with enough regularity to ensure that I can RP my gender with regularity. There are times I want to play a dude and there are times I want to play a chick, and it chaffs my bum to get straight-jacketed into a choice sometimes.

As a note: This time, I didn't care that much. Had I continued with Tempest, then yes, I would have cared. Part of her psychology was rooted in the fact that she wasn't her father's son. My rant is more about a general issue on the boards rather than an issue here. It's nothing that has to change. I just needed to get that off my chest.

Well as I'm a minority of one in this issue I'll keep my mouth shut then. To be honest what people wish to play that isn't decided by statistics or rules should be left to the players. This felt intrusive and I said something that pretty much is a opinion no one else shares here. Yeah I was pissed that it was even an issue. I still am quite upset.

I don't really care now as I've been put in my place. I shouldn't have to feel like that in something I'm supposed to be enjoying.

Anyways let's just get this on the road once we get adjusted.

Also, beyond the issues that Cyro mentioned above, there's one more simple fact. While I don't mind playing a guy in some games, I do mind that I have to play one in almost every game that Reven runs because so few people play guys. I get really tired of the fact that there are guys here that won't RP their own gender with enough regularity to ensure that I can RP my gender with regularity. There are times I want to play a dude and there are times I want to play a chick, and it chaffs my bum to get straight-jacketed into a choice sometimes.

As a note: This time, I didn't care that much. Had I continued with Tempest, then yes, I would have cared. Part of her psychology was rooted in the fact that she wasn't her father's son. My rant is more about a general issue on the boards rather than an issue here. It's nothing that has to change. I just needed to get that off my chest.

This is a valid point; I imagine it can be annoying.

Well as I'm a minority of one in this issue I'll keep my mouth shut then. To be honest what people wish to play that isn't decided by statistics or rules should be left to the players. This felt intrusive and I said something that pretty much is a opinion no one else shares here. Yeah I was pissed that it was even an issue. I still am quite upset.

I don't really care now as I've been put in my place. I shouldn't have to feel like that in something I'm supposed to be enjoying.

Anyways let's just get this on the road once we get adjusted.

If you see two people (three if you count Reven as he started the topic) expressing an opinion as being put down, then yes, I imagine you would have some of the enjoyment sucked out of this game. If you don't like my opinion, ignore it. My beef with you was the tone and way you expressed your desire for Gale to remain female, and then with your annoying habit of editing a post after someone says something contrary to it. You want to play female characters? That's cool, I actually count you among us ladies following your announcement and so I get your desire to RP a chick. I also felt your attitude toward Reven was rude, dismissive, and disrespectful.

But that's my opinion, and you can tell me to fuck off.

I really don't care in any way now what anyone thinks. I said what I did, it's obvious I was the only one that took it like I did. It's happened.

Am I apologizing for what I said? Even after I softened it up seeing it would create this issue? I'm only going to apologize for my tone, not my opinion.

I'm sorry I was so aggressive in my approach, but not for feeling that people should be allowed to play what they want outside of rules restrictions and thematic reasoning. If gender was going to be an issue in this game Rev should have stated that as well when he first offered the game. It would have caused some slowing in character creation, true, but we wouldn't have ended up at this point.

Now I'm pissed, and everyone is pissed at me for snapping.

Thing is, I'm the only one here that thinks that with the characters offered and submitted that there wasn't any quality issue. Dave is a choosy GM, that's a fact and that helps people get something up that is half-way decent. I'm just taken aback that a character's gender is more of an issue not only in this game, but on the forum.

I didn't think some people would take this subject as an issue.

I can certainly see where my request for a bit of gender equality may irritate or offend some close minded, self important, people. Can't say I'm giving a fart in the breeze though. Carver makes an interesting point, and that's one of the reasons it is a pet peeve of mine. Now, it's a shame or a blessing, depending on an individual's point of view that people aren't born comfortable in their own skin. Those that are not, it's their business and I wish them well in the life choices they make. However those of us that are comfortable with who we are should not, at no point in time, have to compromise while others do not.

Carver has voiced an issue. Vivi rarely wants to involve herself in games because she gets so tired of guys making girls and then pitifully flirting with each other. I find it increasingly annoying myself.

Now, I made an error, Paul is a male as well, so we only need one more male PC. You may notice that I didn't, myself, tell anyone they had to change. I don't feel it's my place to do so. As adults I expect you to work together to solve some of the issues we, as players, encounter. It shows everyone 'at the table' who is willing to compromise to help make something successful, and who is not. Something that was incredibly minor was blown into something major.

I have 6-8 players. Each of those players are equally important to me. If anyone thinks that stomping their foot and making a scene is going to make them any more important than the other, then they are sorely mistaken and that's unfortunate for them. Players can be replaced. So, learn to start working together. You're adults for crying out loud, act like it. If I had decided to make a ruling on the issue you would have had two choices on the matter, accept, or quit. That may sound a bit tyrannical, and honestly, it is, but if people are going to act like children and throw tantrums, I don't need them around.

I'm not out to get anyone. I'm not one of those STs who makes his hobby to kill every PC put in front of him. I'm a Story Teller, I help you tell stories with the persona you create in the worlds we design and just like in our world, the real one, there are days we win and days we lose. There are ups and there are downs. I don't need people throwing a fit and getting pissed off at me every time the world throws them a curve or things just don't go well.

We need 1 more male. Don't say you're willing to, or you could, or that you might. Just say "I'll do it', and let the issue be put to rest.

Mala - You're welcome to join, I have 1 slot left open.

Heri - Why not just change it to 'Miracle Guy'. There's nothing in the write up that makes it necessary for your PC to be a female.

Max - It'd be appreciated.

Jordan - Gay or straight is honestly irrelevant. At least he's a guy. I wouldn't care if every woman was a lesbian and every guy was gay... at least the gender balance is equal. It was a jab at 7 chicks and a gay guy.

You may ask why, ladies and... well... ladies. Simple, it makes plot and story telling a whole lot easier. Aside from the implausibility of an all female team that others have pointed out, there are a lot of super villains out there whose powers only work on men, or women. The powers are gender specific and it creates amazing plot devices when you can exploit those powers correctly. If a villain were to gain control of the female characters on the team then poor Paul and Cryostorm are stuck on EVERYONE ELSE with nothing but Ice powers, a flashlight and a feather boa (we all Cryo owns one). Vice versa as well... there's nothing challenging about you having to rescue Cryo and Paul from the clutches of The Villain when the remaining ladies could run roughshod over the two them in a combined effort.

Figure out what you all are going to do and get back with me. I should have the first post up soon (next day or so), for those whose PCs are ready. For those of you whose PCs are not ready, get them ready so you can join the fun.

To be honest I consider the issue resolved. I see your point and Carv's on the matter, and I'll keep that in mind in the future with other games as they come up. As for what you intend to do with said characters is up to you. Not casting any accusations you're gonna be a TPK GM in this in no fashion.

I'd have to agree I gotta get the starch out of my underwear (whatever we choose to wear) and try to make this work.

Carv I apologize for getting a bit too angry over a legit issue, which could have been resolved better if I stayed calm. Also I sort of tread on Rev's authority as a GM and I shouldn't have. I apologize for that as well.

Ace, at the moment I think I'm full up and where I want to be.

At the moment guys, the only thing holding us up is Heritage with his Stalwart submission, he switched PCs on me so now I'm waiting to get the new submission.

Max, could you do me a slight favor and edit your post towards the end? Echo can freeze one, but these guys are on hover boards and not really in the 'give up quietly' state of mind. While the first one is halted dead in his tracks, the second wouldn't slow down or even break stride (meaning he probably soared right by Echo as he delivered his entrance speech). He'd hover right on by and prolly say something snakry, either to Echo or to his unfortunate friend.

It'll save me the time of a short reply post and give other PCs a bit more of an open window. As it reads, Echo pretty much has it all under control.

Made toughness saves, and they are not good at all. Putting them here for record.

[Rebecca OOC] 3:09 pm: ok
[Rebecca OOC] 3:09 pm: Gonna make my toughness rolls here...
[Rebecca OOC] 3:09 pm: which are +8
Rebecca OOC *rolls* 1d20: 1+8: 9
Rebecca OOC *rolls* 1d20: 7+8: 15

So with the staggered and -1 penalty from suffering that redirected lightning bolt (which I know the damage bonus of), I rolled a 14 on the second taking another -1 penalty for further saves.

So -2 to future toughness saves, and Staggered.

I am in serious trouble here. Virtually Toughness 6, and Staggered.
I move at half movement, and I can only make free actions and a standard action every turn.

Gonna retreat on my next turn so I can recover safely the following turn. I'm hurt bad.

*In a completely joking manner because I think that's probably better than staying and getting KO'd*

Wimp! Leaving the fight as soon as they hit you back!

Anyway, my rolls, for the record:

[stargaizer] 7:32 pm: Toughness save vs. DC 28
Stargaizer *rolls* 1d20: 1+13: 14

2 degrees of failure: dazed until the end of My next turn (only free actions and 1 std action) and a –1 to future toughness checks (effectively +12)

[stargaizer] 7:41 pm: Will save vs. DC 20
Stargaizer *rolls* 1d20: 11+11: 22

1 degree of success

Boy Toy failed his save by 2 degrees. He is frozen in a block of ice that leaves him Defenseless and Immobile. The ice also provides him with protection, however. The Crush is still using Boy Toy as cover.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived