Mutants & Masterminds: Heroes United - [Fic] Unladies Night

SalmonMax

"Yep! I'll be in in just a second. Then we'll find you a - " Magnum Opus paused, realizing that Slither wasn't next to her any more.

She turned, and stared for a long moment, downing the last of her drink as she watched Fulcrum drag Slither onto the floor. She was smiling behind her drink. Fulcrum, Slither, you silly billies. Why didn't you tell me you were into ladies?

The bubble of self-doubt about whether she was a lady rose from within her stomach and she dumped alcohol on it, as she waited for the song to end. You know, this is a nice song, but I get it, you're up all night to get lucky, did we need to hear that thirty times...?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slither fancied the lads, always had, but she would dance with anyone, especially if the mood and music were right. And it had been simply forever since she been out with her mates for a laugh, so she was ready to let loose. But she was also aware that didn't know where Fulcrum stood on the matter, although she had her suspicions, and Mo was still a cipher.

And so though they were all out to have a good time, her intelligence training came into play once again, that miraculous and yet somewhat sad and frightening ability to detach part of oneself and set it outside to act as an impartial observer while the rest of you stayed in the moment.

1. I'm out with my teammates for a night of fun and relaxation, and it's bloody wonderful.

2. Fulcrum is a free-spirited girl out to have a good time, but she may have other agendas in mind.

3. You don't want to send any messages that are incorrect or lead anyone on, for the sake of both team unity and basic human decency.

4. In short, enjoy yourself, let yourself go, but don't allow yourself to get too physical.

Of course, all this took only a matter of a few seconds for the Brit to work out in her head, but it guided her actions accordingly. As she was still wearing her mask, she had no compunctions about displaying a bit of her powers. She was extremely flexible, quite fit, and both graceful and well-balanced, so when Fulcrum indicated she should 'show her what she got', she went all in, which turned out to be truly impressive; she kept the 'rubber man' antics to a minimum, but it was clear for the eyes of the crowd that she was making quite an impression.

She was dancing with Fulcrum, and having a grand time of it, but based on the amount of eye contact and physical proximity, she tried to make it clear she wasn't dancing with her.

Fulcrum, for her part, didn't try to crowd in or get inappropriately touchy with Slither. She was just partying. She gave her teammate a wry hand of applause...acknowledging perhaps that a few TK-assisted manuevers didn't give her the edge on Slither's incredible mastery of her movement and body. After that she rejoined the dance, perfectly content to be at arm's length.

When the song wound down, there was a pause while Magnum Opus was invited up to do her thing.

Fulcrum, along with most of the others, turned and looked around at the unexpected lull.

Instead of the thump of drums and the squeal of synthesizers, the club's speakers rang out with the sound of a piano. Magnum Opus held the microphone in her hand as she sang.

"♫♪ I've paid my dues ♪♫ Time after time ♪♫

"♫♪ I've done my sentence ♫♪ But committed no crime ♪♫
"♪♫ And bad mistakes - " Magnum Opus shrugged. "♫♪ I've made a few ♫♪
"♫♪ I've had my SHARE of SAND, KICKED in my FACE ♫♪ But I've come through! ♪♫"

As the guitar strains of Queen rocked out from the club's overtuned speakers, Magnum Opus played them out on an imaginary air guitar.

"♪♫ Weeeeeee are the Champions, my frie-ends - ♪♫" She drummed with her fingers. "♫♪ And weeeeeeee'll keep on fighting, to the end... ♫♪ (c'mon, sing with me)" 

The superhero crooned out the rest of the chorus, oblivious to a few arched eyebrows and a few people singing along. As the downtempo hit, she caught a white and gold jacket tossed at her from the audience, and donned it in a blur.

"♫♪ I've taken my bows ♪♫ And my curtain calls ♫♪
"♫♪ You brought me fame, and fortuneandeverythingthatgoeswithit ♫♪ I thank you all ♪♫"
"♫♪ But it's been no bed of roses ♫♪ No puh-leishah cruise ♫♪
"♫♪ I consider it a CHALLENGE before the WHOLE HUMAN RACE ♫♪ And I ain't gonna looooose! ♫♪"

She leaned into the chorus hard, singing until her voice nearly cracked. She lifted off the floor, continuing to wail in perfect time on an invisible electric guitar, waggling an imaginary whammy bar that could not possibly have cause the unexpected vibrato in John Deacon's guitar licks from thirty-seven years prior.

"♫♪ Weeeeee arrrrre the Cham-pions ♫♪ WEEEEEE ARRRRE the CHAM-PIONS ♫♪ Nooooooo time for loooosers ♪♫ 'Cause weeeee arrrrre the CHAM-PIONS ♫♪ (dun nun nuh) ♫♪ Of the woooooorld...♫♪"

She landed on her knees, skidding along the floor, hair in her face. Fireworks exploded behind the DJ booth. A trio of dancers in the crowd did backflips fifteen feet in the air. 

The song ended. Magnum Opus stood, fixing her hair. She tossed the white and gold jacket back into the crowd. "Thanks!"

"Any time," shouted someone from far away.

"Woo." She turned back to Slither and Fulcrum. "Freddie Mercury, huh? Hell of a singer."

Slither's mouth just hung wide open as MO truly made a spectacle of herself in the best sense of the word; by the end of the thrilling show-stopper, the willowy brunette was doubled over laughing with tears of enjoyment in her eyes.

"Oh my God, that was bloody brilliant! I'm so glad we did this!"

She shook her head as she wiped tears from her eyes.

"Right, that's it; I'm done! Best night ever, can't be topped!"

Archived