Aberrant: Nova World - Recruitment

Justin OOC

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No telepathic mental link, but they do share a node and quantum pool.

If that's too abstract, then body language, tone, attitude, words used, etc. I could continue but I suspect that that's enough support. Basically, if someone who had never met you before had a perfect costume and came up and tried to interact with you, would you believe it was you?

Jay is a new hire. This is his first official function. I'm not sure exactly how he could or why he would know Jay (or why you would assume such without ever talking to me first). Mega Manip would make it more convincing, and he did call together all his clones to assimilate their knowledge of what was going on. There's more to making a convincing duplicate of someone than just looking like them though.

Guys, this is a social intro thread, let's just let it go for now, okay?

Although, SG, I will note that other players have indicated knowing Jay on sight and no issue was made with that, so I think it's fair to say that Shannon also recognizes Jay.

Well perhaps before the event (off camera) he was introduced to everyone? That I think is the easiest hand-wave. Also, Kait has a point, it's not a biggie. ^_^

Oh, and where is everyone in regards to each-other? I just had to remove an entire post and make a different one because I was thinking everyone was backstage..

I'll have to side with Stargaizer on the argument, even though I know no one has asked my opinion. Simply put, no one knows you better than you regardless of how much manipulation someone might try.

Think about it. You've been playing with yourselves since prolly before high school. You know your dick. It's your dick. Now if I came along and switched dicks on you, regardless how well made the new dick might be you'd still take those first few practice strokes, get that look of astonishment mingled with rage and proclaim: "This is not my dick! Where's my dick?!?!"

See, Max has met Jay. He knows Jay. He also knows that that 'clone' he was talking to was not Jay. Jay's clones don't refer to themselves as 'clones', they refer to themselves as 'Jay'. Didn't take a dot in Mega-Intelligence to make that comparison. ;)

So, Jay is kleptoing from the guests and Druid has vandalized someone's property...

Wow.

Can't wait to see the next shot of social dysfunction that gets injected.

I don't even see their two actions as on the same level, one is self focused, the other is taking action to save someone, only a dog maybe, but that's still a very different sort of action then chosing to steal from guests just to make the attempt. Mind you, I don't disagree with your judgement of it being a form of vandalism. I'm not sure if you know.. or care.. but a dog can die within less then 15 minutes when left in a car in even cool weather, cars heat up and retain heat and dogs can't get rid of heat except by panting and though the pads on their paws.. That it happens at all is something that upsets me, personally, I figured that for someone with Seraph's powers, abilities and caring for animals, she wouldn't wait to seek out the owner, she'd take action.

I'm not sure if you know.. or care.. but a dog can die within less then 15 minutes when left in a car in even cool weather, cars heat up and retain heat and dogs can't get rid of heat except by panting and though the pads on their paws.. That it happens at all is something that upsets me, personally, I figured that for someone with Seraph's powers, abilities and caring for animals, she wouldn't wait to seek out the owner, she'd take action.

I'm aware, and I do care. I happen to like animals more than I like people. My over all point was that while an animal being trapped in a vehicle is certainly probable, one being trapped in a vehicle at an Expo is highly unlikely. Highly. The scene was created for the specific intent of your PC vandalizing someone's property, your PC completely justified in doing so, you coming out looking the heroine in a completely implausible scenario.

The entire scene was created for the sole purpose of you displaying and show boating your characters powers, abilities, and attitude towards animals and the idiot things people do. While fair and it deserves some attention, it holds as much as much credibility as me writing in that there was a sudden explosion for some inexplicable reason and Max just happened to be there to absorb the flames and kinetic energy, miraculously saving everyone.

While possible, it's highly improbable. Its a social thread and so far a majority of the participants have the social acumen of a potato.

Maybe it's just my play style, I don't know. All I've seen so far is a group of people that my PC wants to get away from as soon as possible. I have no idea how my PC is going to work with these people.

We should make a game of this! See who can come up with the most anti-social thing. Maxwell can judge and Long can offer something cool, like experience points, to the best suggestion. I'll go first!

Sonja should give the world a panty* shot/fan service during her exhibition!

*Google clearly disapproves of this idea; it keeps trying to suggest that "panty" should be "pantry". :D

I'm aware, and I do care. I happen to like animals more than I like people. My over all point was that while an animal being trapped in a vehicle is certainly probable, one being trapped in a vehicle at an Expo is highly unlikely. Highly. The scene was created for the specific intent of your PC vandalizing someone's property, your PC completely justified in doing so, you coming out looking the heroine in a completely implausible scenario.

The entire scene was created for the sole purpose of you displaying and show boating your characters powers, abilities, and attitude towards animals and the idiot things people do. While fair and it deserves some attention, it holds as much as much credibility as me writing in that there was a sudden explosion for some inexplicable reason and Max just happened to be there to absorb the flames and kinetic energy, miraculously saving everyone.

While possible, it's highly improbable. Its a social thread and so far a majority of the participants have the social acumen of a potato.

Maybe it's just my play style, I don't know. All I've seen so far is a group of people that my PC wants to get away from as soon as possible. I have no idea how my PC is going to work with these people.

Now that is clearer criticism and more to the point, not as useless as your earlier, and what to my mind at least, looked like pointless whining over the way I had chosen to introduce my character into the thread, yes it was meant to showcase the character's attitudes and abilities.. which actually, was what I figured that the thread was about, and from the rest of the way folks had posted, I figured I was justified to introduce her as I saw fit, however unlikely the sequence of events. If that was a problem, I expected more then just 'wow, how socially dysfunctional' post that I got from you, especially when I had to spend some time trying to figure out a good post and read though what others had written before I did, so your casual dismissal got a rather irritated response from me.

I'll throw my $.02 in that the point of the thread was to allow people to showcase their character's powers through doing a presentation at the expo. The issue that have come up from people showing off their powers in socially dysfunctional ways has sorta floored me because it's all come from players wanting to show off their character's powers, but for some reason avoiding the IC method specifically set up for that like the plague.

I'm just absolutely confused on this. I actually took a fair amount of time to come up with an idea where a bunch of novas showboating their powers would make sense ICly without causing some major disaster in the setting, and so far only two of the eight or so characters in the thread have elected to do so. Well, to do so in the context of a presentation.

:confused: I feel kinda :banghead: .

And honestly, if it was part of the Expo, I, as a player, would be totally cool with it. Had Druid marched through a set of double doors with a menagerie of animals in tow with a blue genie singing 'Prince Ali, fabulous he...' I would have 'bought' it a lot more. DragonStorm was part of the Expo, Saku was part of the Expo... they had their 15-30 minute panels where they are displaying or showboating their powers for the sake of the Expo. That's what Expos are.

Those events have weight.

Stealing from the guests, yelling and gallivanting around with practical jokes, defacing people's property. I'm just in awe that people, representing a company with a stellar reputation like NovaStar, would behave this way. Their actions are no theirs alone, when Jay is stealing from guests he puts the reputation of the entire team in jeopardy. When Druid breaks someone's window half the people will remember that she rescued the dog, the other half will remember that she vandalized someone's property and the media always gravitates towards negative press, it sell more. Max isn't just 'hey aren't you that ocean guy fire nova?' he's also, 'aren't you that guy who is on that team with that crazy eco-terrorist chick who breaks people's stuff?'.

And, I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm not. I'm guilty of the same thing Serpah is on numerous occasions: creating an unlikely scenario for the sake of showing off. To claim other wise would make me a complete hypocrite (I'm just a partial hypocrite:) ). It's just as I'm reading I'm thinking 'wow, my PC has nothing in common with these guys'. And I don't want to single out Druid, that's not my intention, it's just I have no replies to offer because Max would steer far away from the playground antics that seem to be going on.

That's a good point, Mala. I've actually followed protocol for the most part. I don't think I've strayed, although I'm not sure if I've stretched credulity or not. I wasn't -there- in character, and out of character I'm not completely clear on what's happened as the incident in question is behind a few posts.

I'll just keep my eyes and short pink self to myself.

Max, you took the words from my brain and expressed them better than I could.

Part of the ire of the players who have complained, either aloud or privately, is that these bad antics reflect poorly on them. They reflect poorly on a company that some of the characters have invested in, both monetarily and temporally. They're not the way that professionals should behave.

Seraph, the choice to retcon or not is yours. You have that option since you haven't crossed paths with anyone yet. If you decide not to, you might need to determine what her reaction, both that of the company's and party's, should be to the fallout. :)

Fair enough, from both of you, if you'd prefer, I'll withdraw Seraph's post, it's not like anyone else has interacted with her yet, so I can completely remove it and recon it to something different.

Please, no retconning. It's done, it happened, let's just deal with it as it comes at this point.

Hiccups are part of the creative writing process, seriously, it's only a matter of time before someone else's character does something negative to place the team in the press. Max is not immune to such events either, we'll just roll forward.

Yeah, I'd rather people roll with the punches on stuff and set it down to "having a bad day" or "nerves" or whatever for the character, take any fallout that occurs (maybe Seraph startes getting unwanted press/followship by fanatical PETA members that now think she's just the keenest ever :P ), and move on than set up the precedence of retconning/pulling posts in this game. I detest that happening, because if players get used to having that option it usually leads to huge snarls later on and a mindset that their character always has to have done the "perfect" thing. That they never make mistakes, have bad days, or just execute bonehead maneuvers because they didn't really think things through. They're people, it happens, and it makes them more interesting and more three-dimensional for it - when the players also roll with the punches and allow consequences for their characters.

Please, no retconning. It's done, it happened, let's just deal with it as it comes at this point.

Hiccups are part of the creative writing process, seriously, it's only a matter of time before someone else's character does something negative to place the team in the press. Max is not immune to such events either, we'll just roll forward.

And also, ack.. I just finished deleting my post for her completely a moment before your reply.. if someone is capable of restoring it, I'll let it stand.

I think it also comes down to way too many people creating "Bad Boy Anti-Hero" stereotypical characters. 1 anti-hero character is plausible. A whole team full of them becomes farcical. To be honest it's one of the reasons I haven't posted with Jason yet. There are only a couple of people in play that Jason would want to spend any time around.

Also, it opens up the possibility that Seraph cares for animals more than the company's image. That's actually a pretty big thing, RP-wise, and something the team should know. If she's willing to bend the rules and risk criminal sanction and teammate irritation to save a kitten, that's important. More than that, it's a huge character-building moment that if you spun that way, would actually cool (from a reader's POV, nothing will make Beth think it's cool :P).

Hey guys, this is Jas. just popping in to let you know that Carver and Mala clued me in to the presence of this game, and I've got a character concept I'm fleshing out with Long. She turns the duo Mala and Carv had going into a trio - she's a nova-infused artist and performer, and a huge public relations and humanitarian face of the company. There's more to it than that, but I'll post more once I've got the details finished off and things approved.

Just as a note, there is no ST in charge of this dog and pony show (see what I did there?). So basically, there's no one to make that call except for you. I'd grab a die and roll it. The lower the number, the more contrite she is and the easier it is to just offer to make repairs. The higher, the more she snaps back like a rotten rubber band and tears Seraph a new one. The mid-range would be her getting somewhat huffy and insisting that her car be fixed.

That sound good?

Asa, that would be perfect. Serena (NOT Selena, I must've done that name change while sleepy, LOL) would have undoubtedly worked w/most (if not all) of the novas who do humanitarian work.

She would also probably have encountered her in social settings, they both seem the type.

Archived