Lords of Gossamer & Shadow - [LoGS: IC] RAETH

RAETH

Raeth's ritual to bestow Darmi with abilities to make her a more suitable member of xhir's clan takes about 12 hours to complete. Darmi did her part exactly as Raeth instructed. She was nervous, but seeing everything that she has seen Raeth do made her question none of the ritual. Darmi was open-minded and trusted Raeth completely.

ooc
in you next post, you can elaborate on the ritual of course and please send me a pm listing everything that you want Darmi to able to do. We have a rough outline, but I want something a little more detailed to understand her limitations more.

Darmi wakes up from the ritual as though she slept a thousand years. She looks down at her hands and notices her nails are black, but she never painted them. Darmi walks over to a large mirror off to the side of the room and takes in her new appearance.

Her eyes are now without pupils and her irises are like swirling nebulae colored orange. Her body is unchanged except her complexion is flawless without the slightest blemish from her previous life. Darmi's hair is raven black, long and straight with jagged cut layers.

Darmi giggles in amusement. Her giggles changes to a throat laugh and then a cackle. She has never felt power like this. She has never felts this good. This sure. This important.

Raeth smiles in satisfaction as xhe watches Darmi discover her new self. Raeth turns into xhir's mind to think out the xhir's next project.

• 4 weeks later...
Some parts of this ritual were completely unnecessary for what Raeth was doing, but would make it easier for xhir to be in the right frame of mind, and some of it was in to put Darmi in the right frame of mind to make this easier for her. Technically, xhe could just use a form of hypnosis with a gaze and put her mind in right frame of mine, but that was a much more, direct psychic method of control, and Raeth had already decided to be gentle with xhirs new consort.
As she got ready, climbing into the shower, Raeth also continued to speak. “I’m going to be giving you some basic information about the grand stair and my world while I do this.”
“How? I’ll be asleep.”
“It will be a form of hypnosis, of a sort, though much more powerful then anything your people are capable of, and it’s only the most basics, once I tie your mind to mine in a telepathic link, I’ll also be able to fill in the gaps over time, you’ll be learning quickly with my teaching.”
“Wait, you can do that? Why didn’t you just take the information about hacking from me and my father then?”
Raeth laughed at that point, sounding joyous and unrestrained.. “Oh, now you figure it out, did you think I was paying you in wishes for the single identity you and your father crafted for me? I was paying for the knowledge, which was far more valuable to me then a custom made identity, however elaborate. A bit more experience with the matter and I will be able to far surpass most hackers in your world.”
Darmi considered what she knew of Raeth, at this point thinking of her as female, but remembering the various changes that Raeth had displayed and Raeth could feel her mind looking, then before the question was asked, responded to it.
“I can’t remember, the process that allowed me union with the power of the umbral caused me to complete forget which sex I started as, and some Daeva already begin their lives able to shift between sexes. With my people wiped out before I began the process, I can’t even remember if they were like that or not, that is part of the price I paid for the power I have today. And no, as you thinking of it, I’m not likely to lose any further memory, gaining mastery of the umbra is a serious matter, most people who attempt it are simply gone, as in nothing left of them.”
Darmi’s mind took another turn, one that Raeth again answered without her speaking, pausing a moment with each answer to allow her to think of the next one, responding to them before she could actually voice them.
“Yes, I have a telepathic link with you, it’s a temporary thing, I had it between you and your father, set for a few weeks, the link I’m going to set up is a two way link, but it’s not the only thing I’m going to do. .. Why yes, I can alter mental attitudes and memories somewhat also, but that’s a much more elaborate... no, I will not do that, but I can make the events of today seem more removed, as though you went though years to allow your mind and soul to come to terms with todays events.. .. Yes, I can alter other things, but it’s a bad idea to change much, I have no desire to alter your personality in any way, other then to strengthen you... Yes, in order to reduce your confusion, I will implant in your mind a basic framework for the changes I’ve worked though it will be up to you to fully explore them.”
As Darmi stepped out of the shower, Raeth took a towel and dried her off, then lead her back to the sleeping area of this safe house, and caught her eyes. “Now, sleep, when you wake, things will be different, you’ll be able to take a look in the mirror over there when you wake.” Hours of work followed, it was fortunate that Raeth not only had considerable endurance, but that the Umbra Star made Xhir tireless, otherwise xhe would have been exhausted when the transformed Darmi woke up. Working this way was a very slow process, it was’t unleashing the umbra, that was a much more crude and instant effect, this was way more elaborate, it was a slow controlled changes, and each change was carefully directed, to insure that it didn’t go any way but the way Raeth desired, the hardest part was keeping the umbra from going beyond the changes desired, adding it’s own less desired alterations.. in some ways it was like keeping a very energetic child with a box full of crayons from coloring outside the lines of a picture.
Finally, though, it was done and Raeth allowed Darmi to wake and take in the changes, some of which are physical, but most of which are much more subtle then her the shifts in appearance. Now, however, Raeth turned xhirs thoughts to the matter of the A.I. that xhe intended to create out of the gesalt xhe took from Fafrel’s mind, it would be the best xhe could do to make him immortal and make up for the inattention that allowed for Fafrel’s death.

The remaking of Fafrel as an artificial spacenet demi-god went without a hitch. It only took 2 more hours because of Darmi's knowledge of hacking and the information gleamed from accessing the Z-Tech database. Darmi happened to stumble upon an interesting tidbit involving Black Helix and Z-Tech working together on a teleportation device. Apparently, the device was on its way from the Z-Tech labs on Bolari to Black Helix on Centrus disguised as a cooling unit package on a commerical Herc.

Fafrel's face popped to life on the hologram display at the coffee table console. "Oh boy, this all almost too much to handle at once, " Fafrel's speech is somewhat edge with a mechanical hollowness, but still genuinely Azman, "I have access to pretty much anything on the Interweb and spacenet. It'll take literally microseconds for me to access anything I might not know offhand or offbit or whatever. Daughter, you look beautiful."

Darmi's eyes well up with a tears at the sight of Fafrel returned to somewhat life. She coughs out a chuckle and looks to Raeth, "What do you want to know? What do you want him to do? I think we could just about bring any mega-corp to their knees with Fafrel romping around in there." Her eyes glisten as she types in a few commands and winks at Fafrel as he rolls his digital eyes.

"All the power in the world and you still want to play pranks," Fafrel nods toward the window, "Done!"

Simultaneously, all the lights in the Black Helix build go out and Darmi begins to cackle again.

Raeth smiled slightly to see Darmi somewhat happy again, and then moved to embrace her from behind and calm her down, the girl was a bit drunk on power at the moment, which was understandable. But, Raeth wanted to redirect that impulse, as it could easily take her down a few darker paths, mischief was one thing, outright malice was something else, and xhe never wanted Darmi to fall down that direction.

"Actually, Fafrel, it might be a good idea to create a few backups of your personality in the net so if this node gets destroyed you can simply reboot. Also, if we could arrange for a powerful enough node somewhere well protected, I could seal it from outside forces completely, and then teleport Darmi and myself out of where your central node is kept. As to what I'd like you to look into, in the last 24 hours, around the same time I took Darmi into my clan, making her my consort, and the Smitre hit this area, there was a explosion in Black Helix and some sort of helicoptor involved, find out whatever you can with regards to that. In addition, one of the individuals who left here was as I am, a Gossamer Lord, find out whatever you can about the individuals who were staying here before us.

Lastly, I still intend to install into your peoples genetic code a greater ability to fight the effects of the Smitre, as it creates problems beyond your reality as echos in others, and I was going to work though Black Helix, but it might be better to take control over them, or look at a different faction, if you two have any suggestions, I would be pleased to hear them, you are natives to this world, you might know better how to integrate my ideas into your worlds mindframe."

Fafrel flickers a bit as he retrieves information from all the sources at his disposal. He begins to speak, but then flickers again with confused look on his face.

"The previous occupant of this safe-house was a Galactic Syndicate mercenary. She worked contracts for the mega-corp, but never truly claimed a GS job rank," Fafrel laughs, "her name is Jonna Amorosa born on Demur. The colony of hot bitches! She left at an early age for unknown reasons and later resurfaced a GS merc."

"I can't find any info of the guy you said was Gossamer lord or whatever. Apparently, he contacted GS by going to Smooth Drinks Zone on a tether-port and just sat there. The GS security thought him suspicious and started looking into him. They also couldn't find anything either. The security men confronted him and he simply said he wanted work. It looks like GS officials and ups are really interested in him though. They don't like having a guy that seemingly popped out of nowhere like some kind of ghost. The GS ups had actually put a price out for information on him until this evening. It looks someone cashed in."

"The bozo that hit on you is named Inas Retluring. A Galactic Syndicate informant with a mid-level rank in the organization. He was planted in the Black Helix corp to gather any info on their mutation experiments under the alias of Franklin Halstead until the Gossamer guy and some super-advanced robot showed up around the same time as you did. From the few personal emails and texts that I read, it's safe to say that he's a prick."

"I'm still looking into a safe place to store and create my power-node. I've replicate my a several thousands times already, but I would like to have a home base. Lots of hackers think I'm some sort of super virus and they are all trying to figure out who created me. Would you like to sign your work, D'Xhir?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Ah, that makes perfect sense, he wrote his own way into this reality then, and that explains his irritation with my methods a bit more, they were contradicted by his own ideas and purposes, though I still think he should have been more flexible and willing to accept the help I offered.. oh well, perhaps another time. As to the other, as a Gossamer lord, they will regret cashing in on him, if he was willing to investigate this world, then he is not only more courageous then most of us, but is quite likely to be able to handle trouble, in fact.. I suspect if you looked into it a bit more, you will find that those who got a hold of him are missing, dead or in some sort of intensive care. Find out what happened to this Inas Retluring, and where he is now, if not deep in a grave, it might give us some insight to what my compatriot is likely to do in the future"

Raeth allowed xhirs thoughts to shift. "A super-advanced robot you say? Capabilities beyond those of anything anyone else has created then? Something akin to yourself, sounds like a golem servitor of sorts.. although, there are stranger possiblities. If this robot is super-advanced, and appeared around the same time as I did, there must be another gossamer lord behind it,

Who are these gossamer lords you keep speaking of, D'xhir? That is the right term to use? Telepathic contact from Darmi touched his own mind, overtones of curiosity and wonder, with a hint of uncertaintly in her mental voice, the conversation between them flowing at increadible speeds even as he spoke aloud to Fafrel, maintaining two distinct conversations. Together then the mental speech were other psychic impressions and Darmi touched some of the depths of xhirs powerful psyche then flinched back slightly before relaxing as Raeth responded with a soothing affection, something akin to a psychic embrace akin to the physical one she found herself in..

A gossamer lord is one who can walk the grand stair between worlds, our powers vary greatly, what one can do is not necessarily what another can do, but all of us can walk the way between worlds. And yes, that is the right term for one such, it's good to known the mental teaching is working as well as the physical transformations.. The meaning of the word had been embedded in her psyche while she had been remade.

"Fafrel, as soon as possible, make contact with the robot or golem, or whatever it is, I'm sure it can lead me to another of the gossamer lords investigating your reality, it's becoming clear that the problem is something that needs more then one mind looking into it." Xhe said aloud even as xhe responded to Darmi's further queries on the matter, she didn't even fully get the words out this time, just the formation of a question that Raeth already had begun to answer even before it was fully formed.

In answer to your query, there are a host of powers possible to a gossamer lord, some of which are far greater then others, mastery over the umbra or the eidolon, are among the greatest, from them flow the essence of existence after all.. but there are many other powers, some more direct then others.

Awe was what the girl in the circle of xhirs arms responded with, mostly, then her thoughts turned to her own powers, which her mind told her were fairly significant all on their own. Holding out her right hand, Darmi simply sent out her thoughts to the nearby chair and found that her thoughts could cause it to move, as some of the information implanted in her mind indicated that her will could affect reality..

Gently, dear one, you have a great deal of power, your will can alter gossamer reality even easier then mine, but your power can easily outstrip your endurance, you can easily exhaust yourself if you push too hard.

"In the meantime, what can you tell me about this teleportation device, it sounds like something that might come in handy, I can teleport myself, but it takes time and preparation to set up. As to signing my work, do as you see fit, it matters little to me, unless you think it might be useful, I don't really know the hacker community too well."

• 2 weeks later...

Fafrel went to work. He sent two copies of himself to investigate the Black Helix and Galactic Syndicate. Fafrel chose to investigate the super-advance robot by sending out feelers searching for another advanced form of artificial intelligence on the inter-feed and spacenet.

"I'm surprisingly having a tough time getting through GS's security and intra-feed, but I'm getting there. Black Helix/Z Tech teleportation device was actually completed. Two devices where made to interact with each other. The teleportation only works one way with one device being the starting point and the other being the destination. Z-Tech was sending the destination pad to Black Helix for further testing. BH has the starting pad and were suppose to be sending it to Z-Tech."

"I've sent out feelers to contact any advance artificial life and waiting for a response."

• 2 weeks later...

"Hmm, a teleportation device that requires two on either side, how limited, of course, my teleportation spells require preparation, though I need to know where I am going, I suppose this is superior in that aspect, but all other aspects of it appear to be somewhat limited.. It could be useful to install in your central matrix however, Fafrel. As to the other aspects of this situation, allow me to to be frank with both of you, now that we are more or less fully engaged.

The Smitre is causing strange affects on more then just your reality, it is powerful enough to have echos in many of the nearby realities as well. The Gossamer Lords are those who can walk what we call the grand stair between worlds, a sort of dimensional crossroads between more realities then can be counted in a thousand lifetimes. This reality was investigated, but the other gossamer lords who did so found the Smitre frightening, despite their power, and so only the bravest of us have been asked to investigate."

Raeth laughed. "Or crazy enough, I suppose. I have learned something already that either no one discovered yet, the Smitre is a dark mirror of the normal mix of Eidolon and Umbra across the worlds... one that seems to twist them both together in ways that they should not be twisted.. It might be possible, with my own mastery of the Umbra and the aid of an Eidolon master that together we could reverse the effects on an individual. Strangely, it only seems to be affecting the living inhabitants of your world, like it is some sort of viral version of the powers. My original plan had been to enter Black Helix, learn what I could from their genetic engineering and perhaps engineer psionics into your people to provide better protection against the Smitre's effects. Perhaps either of you have some additional suggestions? My own capabilities are far beyond yours, though I've done quite a bit to close the gap in both of you, making the two of you into powers in your own right, but you know your worlds better then I do at this point. Should I be approaching a different faction? Or perhaps forming a new one?"

Archived