Trinity RPG - Trinity: Where Are They Now?

Dave ST

Okay, so I've never played Trinity, well, I participated in a short lived game here on the forums once about 5 years ago or something, but aside from that, nadda.

I know a lot of the novas (Aberrants) lived through the Aberrant War and did the whole exodus thing. What I'm curious of is what happened to them? To my knowledge (and correct me if I'm wrong, please):

Cestus Pax went ape shit and is actually a tainted baddy now.

The Colony is now comprised entirely of his evil tainted eufiber and is less himself and more controlled by the alien mentality of his evil clothing (only white wolf could give us evil clothing...)

Divis Mal is still around but he's not really a bad guy anymore? He's actually against The Colony's plans. (He's the bad ass who run Eden with the other 66 novas).

And those are the only three off the top of my head.

Anyone have any other dirt on the Trinity era Aberrants?

You can speculate on where you think the Aberrants ended up, but I don't think you'll get much printed info on them. Since Trinity came first a lot of the Aberrants didn't exist when the Trinity books were published.

Trinity wasn't about the characters fighting top tier Novas from the Aberrant game.

Mal

I don't think Mal is on Eden. Eden is run by Diana Kadmon and I can't recall Mal's name ever being mentioned. I think the Edenites left Earth prior to the ultimatum.

It was always my opinion that Universe Creation explained what happened to Mal. I think he works much better as a boogeyman in the Trinity era than someone actually there.

Pax

Pax was mentioned as someone kids pretended to be him during play time. I'm not sure if he was ever mentioned beyond that.

The Colony

I know that it was widely considered fact that Buendia later became the colony because it mentions Eufiber's colony in the background description. I don't think this was ever confirmed. I thought at some point the Trinity developer was surprised when people asked that questions because that was news to him. Still, I think the connection is interesting and makes some sense.

From my impression of reading Trinity material the populace at large wasn't really aware that any novas hung out to help humanity. The novas that remained in the Sol System and erected the Qunata Barrier were still banished from returning to Earth. I guess they still felt some need to assist humanity even if it freezing their butt off in space forever... man, that'd get boring. It reads to me that Nova is just another word for Aberrant in the eyes of the governments and people of 2120.

What I wouldn't doubt though is for a few of the governments still keeping a nova or two on hand in secret bunkers, bases, labs, whatever. Since Psi is the polar opposite of Quanta, it'd be difficult to research (or drastically slow down) noetic science without easy access to both ends of the spectrum.

I don't really see the Aberrants as the bad guys of Trinity. It seems like they're a collective of people who just wanna be left alone at this point. They've found a planet and are successfully keeping both themselves and the population of that planet happy. Sounds like a good deal all around for them. Now, about the Colony...

When I hear 'Colony' I think of this massive festering Zerg-like creature floating through space consuming everything and nomming on the flesh of lesser species and adding it to it's army. I can't help it, it just seems like the only true 'alien' way to picture the guy. Obviously the thing is smart, it's tactics have destroyed the Quanta Barrier, disabled most of Earth's defenses and wreaked havoc on humanity for the last several years. Do they ever say exactly what the colony is or looks like? I just picture this alien mass of goop with all sorts of things trying to crawl their way out from under its surface to destroy and kill anything it its way. Oh, like the Blob... the movie not the Marvel character. I think it's a better representation than a large massive pile of eufiber laundry that's attacking Earth to reclaim all those socks we keep losing in the dryer.

Re: Caestus Pax

IIRC, one of the original developers stated that Pax never got over the massive blow to his ego/reputation/"face" that resulted from his televised beatdown by Mal during the "Into The Arms Of The Angel Of Wrath" scenario (AB: Worldwide, pp.147-155). Pax became obssessed with trying to beat Mal & reclaim his rep as a True Badass™, leading to further futile battles over the next decade or so. Eventually Mal was forced to kill Pax, in public and on live video for all the world to see. I imagine that sales of Pax's action figure went through the roof at that point.

Re: The appearance of the Colony

If you have access to the softcover version of the Trinity core book, the Colony is partialy visible as part of the purple & black background image collage (upper left corner). I've yet to find a "clean" version of the artwork (no Trinity logo, etc.) to get a somewhat unimpeded view of that beastie.

Re: Aberrants in Trinity, Terran knowledge of

IIRC, those few in the know about the non-Taintmonkey novas & their past heroics (or lack thereof) on Trinity-era Earth are keeping that knowledge to themselves for the most part, or only sharing it with a few very close & highly trustworthy friends. Given that Aeon is trying its best to keep a lid on any non-Aeon-provided sources of Nova Age info (Trinity Field Report: Media, p. 15), it's pretty much become the equivalent of samizdat in the old Soviet Union.

Of course, none of what I just said applies to Nippon, of course... It's a pity the original game line died before they could show Aeon receiving a Nihonjin plasteel-toed boot to their collective rump that the public & unedited release of said information would cause.

Re: Aberrants in Trinity, in general

AFAICT, the eximorphic humans during the 22nd Century are way more diverse than just the Colony's forces & the Edenites. You have to remember that there are many more colony worlds out there, both nova & aberrant. It's basically a carte blanche for Trinity STs to go wild with their ideas of what novas & aberrants are capable of. So there are lots of "Edens" out there, and several planets infested with Taint-mad aberrants.

I suspect there are more of the former than the latter for one specific reason: setting up & maintaining a viable colony world - even with quantum powers - is a lot of work & requires healthy social relationships & personal interdependence. The latter two of which, of course, the Taintmonkeys have a severe lack of.

Well, to be honest if you develop the ability to transit between stars all on your lonesome, who would really want to stay on Earth anyways? The Colony is Aeon's version of the Tyranids to me. Except they don't eat you to survive and evolve, they just kill you.

I would not be surprised if there are other planets founded by starfaring novas out there. Way out on the fringe so they don't bother anyone. Unless someone bothers them.

Here is a quote from Bates, the original Trinity developer, on the identity of the Colony.

In the Trinity timeframe, I purposefully left it open as to who The Colony is. Let players decide for their own games whether they wanted to tie into a particular Aberrant-era NPC (or PC...) or not.

I think Rob or Kraig (the respective Aberrant developers) had decided that Buendia became The Colony; dunno if that's in any published material, though.

So, far as I'm concerned, it/they is whoever you want it/them to be.

• 2 weeks later...

May as well use this thread for general Q&A since some people might be more familiar with the rules than me.

Certain psi powers sound 'reflexive', like the shield powers. Are they or is using a power considered an action like anything else?

When using the Biokinesis power of Bioshift, are you still limited to 5 as a trait rating or can you temporarily exceed that through the good grace of Psi?

Archived