Lords of Gossamer & Shadow - [LoGS: OOC] Simitre of Azmus

JoeChuck

THE SIMITRE:

A NEW THREAT TO THE STAIR

The Simitre has wreaked havoc mostly in the Gossamer world of Azmus, but the power released was strong enough to echo into other Gossamer worlds. Sightings of mutated creature matching the same description popped up all over the Grand Stair after the Monolith on Bolk was leveled. The Azmani*, despite their warmongering, were surprisingly able to defeat the mutants and restore the Monolith without the intervention of Wardens. The Simitre of Azmus is a unique circumstance of Eidolon and Umbra mixing together just like anything else created in a Gossamer world, but the echoes rippling into other worlds making more mutants is the troubling matter.

*Everyone can thank SalmonMax for the change to Azmani… sounds better than Azmans. J

Furthermore, the mutants have had the same agenda on every Gossamer world they appeared on. Destroy and spread with reckless abandon. As of yet, the mutants seem to only answer to themselves and attack in groups without any planning. The only common denominator in these attacks is their proximity to Doors leading to the Grand Stair. No mutants of the Simitre have successfully opened a Door properly or entered the Grand Stair, but all Warden observation have lead to the conclusion that the mutants are aware of at least the Doors’ power and use the Doors in their mutation ritual. After invading a location successfully, the mutants create a nest with a Door being at the center. Once this is accomplished, the mutants as a whole do not wander far. They send raiding parties from time to time and bring back hostages to either eat or turn.

Entering a mutant nest has become a problematic situation. The mutants themselves when confined in close quarters emit the Simitre strongly enough to cause exposure mutation and many Wardens fear being turned by ritual mutation, if captured. The mutants spend all day creating intricate mazes around the Door they are nesting near that is on little concern to a Warden to navigate, but the mazes are filled with traps and hiding places for mutants to spring an ambush.

SIMITRE POISONING:

AFFLICATION

Simitre poisoning can occur in 3 distinct ways.

Exposure-

Simitre still leaks out of the cracks of the partially restored Monolith. The Simitre slowly wafts off of Bolk and makes it way to other planets and moons. The Simitre is visible as a rolling red-orange fog or mist that can be seen entering an atmosphere creating a similar effect like aurora borealis. Although highly visible, the Simitre is almost utterly inescapable. Most Azmani have taken to sealing themselves inside or wearing modified spacesuits when Simitre is spotted. These common precautions have shown to be effective, but it only takes a little bit of Simitre to cause mutation. For whatever reason, exposure mutation happens at a much high rate on moon colonies. Some speculate planetary magnetic fields and others believe the phases of the moons in relation to the planets they orbit have something to do with it.

Mutation caused by exposure in this way can happen instantly or it can be a slow process taking weeks. The slower mutations usually have these symptoms:

• Sweating and aggression
  • Facial-ticks and bodily spasms
  • Self-mutilation

The self-mutilation happens right before the mutation. The inflicted will start to claw and pick away at their scalp. Some have witnessed the inflicted tear off their own cheeks. All of which is in preparation for horns and the elongated jaw.

No Warden has seemed to be affected by exposure.

Ritual-

This mutation happens to captured Azmani. Few have witnessed this occurrence, but say that the captured Azman is forced to stand in front of a door. One mutant paints a key-like symbol on the prisoner’s chest while the other mutants growl in unison. The ritual ends with the prisoner walking through the door and the key symbol erupting in burst of orange light leaving a scarred tattoo. The mutation is dramatic and ritual-bred mutants seemed to be more powerful than those changed from exposure.

No Warden has allowed them to be captured to test their resilience to this type of mutation.

Monolith Fracture-

The third way that Simitre poisoning can occur is the shockwave that travels out when the Monolith fractures. The initial facture instantly changed those next to the Monolith and the shockwaves that pulsed through the solar system of Azmus did much of the same. The shockwaves of Simitre being released mutated millions of Azmani at once. This mutation was just as dramatic as ritual mutation and extremely violent to the inflicted.

This type of mutation has not happened since the Monolith was restored and the mega-corps all agreed to not step foot on Bolk. No Wardens were known to be in Azmus when the first two fractures occurred.

TYPICAL FEATURES OF MUTANTS

All mutants share these physical features:

• Elongated jaw set with broken jagged teeth
  • Horns resembling the Monolith in sets of 3 or 4
  • Glowing red or orange eyes with no iris
  • Darkened skin in various shades of grey

TYPICAL POWERS AND ABILITIES

All mutants have enhanced strength and the ability to modify their physiology. Mutants have been seen elongating their arms to reach Azmani trapped behind barricades, decompressing themselves to jump from one spaceship to another, and some have virtually turn themselves into quadrupeds to ram with their horns at maximum speed.

The ritual-bred mutants are a little stronger and have the added ability to manipulate shadows. They make shadows grow and move effectively giving them even more of an advantage in dim-lit and dark conditions.

Typical things they can do with shadows:

• Create hypnotic patterns
  • Emit darkness around themselves about 5 ft in diameter.
  • Able to teleport from one shadow to the next.
,, ,,

NATURALLY, POST ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT GAME HERE AND WE'LL TALK IT OVER...

Yeah, tonight I'll be condensing the Fight PMs and posting them to the IC. Let's abandon the posting schedule and the Fight PMs. Character actions in IC and questions in OOC (well, duh).

I think things would move faster with shorter posts except for ones with change of scene. We'll be on a you post, I post schedule for now on without a limit to post for each week. I most likely be posting late at night though. Sorry guys, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to run a PbP.

I hear ya, but I'm starting to dislike the disconnect between the IC and Fight PMs. I'm playing in a LoGS game on rpggeek.com with the encounters being handled in the IC and it has a better flow. It doesn't feel like things are on pause even when there's a bit of time between posts.

I'll post for Raeth tomorrow.. yesterday someone else called in sick, my brain isn't up to writing today after 12 hours of work (Febuary is turning into a horrible month for us at work, call offs because of snow early in the week, people being sick, people taking time off, etc.)

The six in the book are definitely around, but as far as how many Lords ans Ladies is unknowable. So many die and new ones are initiated/born. Many have theories that there is a limit number at a time and that must be maintained for balance, but no one knows what the number is. Some believe the Grand Stair is sentient choosing those best to defend it and there is no limit to how many Lords/Ladies there are. To find an answer like that you'll probably have to explore the Labyrinth which thought to be the heart of the Stair.

Content update:

I just purchased LoGS: Blessings and Curses.

Blessings and Curses is a new Power that costs 35 points. 15 points for the ability and the other 20 spent is the pool of points for you bestow blessings and curses. Basically, you cast a blessing/curse and cost a certain amount of points that get subtracted from the pool. If you go over budget, the rest gets subtracted from your Stuff permanently. Needless to say, you need to keep a close eye on the pool as not to get a lot of Bad Stuff. The points replenish when the blessing/curse is dismissed or the duration runs out, but going over budget might be worth it to really ruin a person's life. Lifelong curse of scabies might sound really immature to some...not this guy.

I also got Lucien's Guide to the Grand Stair, but I have yet to read through it.

These pdfs are super cheap at DriveThruRPG. If anyone interested in B&C and not wanting to purchase it, I'll make a write-up...some day.

Blessings and Curses is 2.99

Lucien's Guide is 4.99

Already own and read both of them.

Lucian's Guide

• Includes how to purchase some of the powers of the grand stair one at a time, rather then collectively, and lowered costs to do so.
  • How to establish influence over a expanse on the stair, small areas of the stair, though not as broadly possible as a control over a domain (you can't control contents or alter the stair the way you can with a domain you control), it does allow one to always find that area of the stair much like finding home, and know when others are on that expanse, go though the doors on that expanse, one doesn't have to be a warden to have such abilities, but wardens are most likely to have such.
  • Cartas - These maps of the grand stair make travel between the areas mapped much quicker and easier, the most unusual ones map dozens of worlds and expanses, as well as the doors onto those worlds or on those expanses.
  • The book also contains a few more spells and cantrips, as well as a early version of Lucian and an additional warden. Also has some degree of description of travel on the grand stair, how various expanses can differ, and some of the problems on the stair that you might encounter. Included is some of the thoughts and notes of Lucian in his early days that anyone involved in a game of LoG&S might find useful

I do, but in essence they are only world descriptions, though fairly detailed ones, I hope we never end up on brokeworld, though as a Umbra master, Raeth is at an advantage there, as for Empyrea, nice place, but the lord of that world could be very dangerous.

Yeah, I think I do with out them. I just feel silly passing up on something for only $1.49, but I guess it's kind of like the impulse items in a check out line. I sure would like that candy bar, but I don't need it...Hey look, a snuggie for my cat!

[i don't have own a cat or would ever buy it a snuggie.]

• 2 weeks later...

Joe: So can I take creative control over the captors for this next post? Basically, Uriel is going to toy with them, draw out information about the boss and the like, and make a mockery of the 'interrogation' before breaking free, and that's about where I'd stop the post. :)

sounds good! Just stop right before you go outside the hangar and I'll provide the answers for anything regarding Mr. Ruan.

What do you guys think about splitting up the forum and each of you have your own adventure thread and then we have a main thread when you guys finally come together or if you ever do?

I feel like it would be more conducive for your separate adventures and tit-for-tat posting with NPC/Encounters.

Okay. I made subforums for each of you to post IC for your adventure threads. You can read each others adventure threads, of course. I just wanted more organization since the three of you are experiencing the adventure is vary different ways. We'll post in the Simitre of Azmus IC whenever two or more of you meet each other in-game. During those situations, I'll still post in your "private" adventure thread with additional material that your character notices or senses with the situation at hand. As always, just PM me with any questions.

We may have a new player joining the game. His username is Vargold. I have no idea what kind of character he will be making, but be prepared for a new Lord of Gossamer to shake things up in Azmus. I met him on Google+. There is a pretty good community on there to support Lords of Gossamer and Shadow.

Okay, just updated Uriel and Raeth. Smax, you'll get updated around midnight or 1 am after I get off work. Your update is going to a bit of a long one because of the situation unfolding in front of you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the longest delay ever. I'm in the middle of looking for a new place and just got denied because.... (drum roll)... I make TOO MUCH money! The apartment complex gets some sort of tax credit if they keep tenants under a certain income level based on number of family members. My wife and I are scrambling looking for a place to live before our lease is up in July. Plenty of time, but still stressful. I don't know when I'll be able to take time to post next, but hopefully before the end of the month.

It is probably subsidized housing under Section 8, yah? They could allow you to relinquish the subsidy and pay full market value, but there are apartment buildings that don't like doing that, cuz they want the subsidies. Also, if too many people are off subsidy in the building, then they can lose their classification to continue under Section 8.

Bummer that you fell afoul of it all. I managed two buildings under Section 8, and it's a hassle sometimes. :(

Best of luck in your hunt, and don't worry about the game! I at least have no business getting mad at anyone because they were a long time between updates. :)

Sorry for the longest delay ever. I'm in the middle of looking for a new place and just got denied because.... (drum roll)... I make TOO MUCH money! The apartment complex gets some sort of tax credit if they keep tenants under a certain income level based on number of family members. My wife and I are scrambling looking for a place to live before our lease is up in July. Plenty of time, but still stressful. I don't know when I'll be able to take time to post next, but hopefully before the end of the month.

What matters is that you're not throwing in the towel. We understand.

Archived