Mutants & Masterminds:[M&M3e] Dark Fantasy (redux!)

Aphrodite Pandemos

So, this is not a new idea, though it was done at a more turbulent time. I was wondering if anyone would want a reset of the game. I won't be both GMing and playing a character in this one, rest assured. Here's some collected bits and pieces.

You all meet at a mercenary inn. Why you're looking for coin is your own business. No one asks questions, they just want results. The more you do the more your name will travel around to bigger and better people.

The setting will be a bit more mature. Death is a real problem and the jobs you take won't be pretty. I do like flavorful characters with complications and story to work with. Give me at least a page to work with.

Here's some crunchy bits for you to chew on.

PL 10, 150 points.

No Immortality or Resurrection Healing.

No Regeneration past 10 ranks.

Yes, I am making this up as I go. Swords and sorcery style, yes. Nations are a thing, but you'll be travelling regional.

Races:

Human: They're the new guys around here. Explorers and settlers. You can't spit and not find a human settlement or camp at least. Highly curious. Don't trust them around your valuables or women/men.

• Tiefling: Humans, in their infinite wisdom decided to screw around with demon magic. Babies born on the human side of this equation are tieflings. They look like humans except for one telling feature. Nothing drastic like horns or cloven hooves, more like red eyes, always smelling of something unnaturally sweet or anything that might give them away. They act like humans too, except they're a bit more proactive in their carnage. While humans are searching for answers, tieflings are also looking to fuck with people.
  • Dragonborn: Ditto, except for with dragons. Though their attitude is less "i'm gonna fuck with you" and more protective. They're very VERY loyal. Also naive and stupid.
Elf: The oldest known race. Their society is split between high and low. The high elves do the magic, the low elves do the hunting. High elves are pretentious and snooty. Low elves are a bit feral.

Dwarf: Xenophobic. Live in mountains. Build weapons and armor second to none. Begrudgingly sell to the outside races. May travel with other races, but only because it's going to get them materials. Southern accents only please ;)

Halfling/Gnome: These races do not exist. Halfling is the elven slang term for child prodigy. Gnome, the dwarven equivalent.

Goblin/Hobgoblin/Orc: Same thing. Goblin is the child stage (sickeningly enough, as soon as they walk they can breed). Hobgoblin is the teen stage. Orc is the adult stage. Those who reach their 20th birthday are celebrated as War Elders. These creatures are war-obsessed and will bring it to ANYWHERE. You see one of these things, you head the fuck out of Dodge. If you wish to play one, you'll most likely be banished from their society.

Any other race, just ask.

Known creatures

Demons (there are seven kinds. Sloth, Lust, Gluttony, Pride, Greed, Wrath, Envy. they all live to feed off souls in their own way. They CAN be bargained with.)

• Angels (same thing as a demon, but they drain the soul because of good deeds. Chastity, Temperance, Charity, Diligence, Patience, Kindness, Humility.)
Dragons (no different colors to differentiate them. They're greenish brown. They fly. They breath fire. They can emulate any race)

Fae (Creatures from another realm. Exiled here. Are feeding off of the nature around them to stay alive. Stock nymphs, satyrs, dryads and pixies. Are outwardly nice, but totally hate this place. Elves, high and low, remind them of home and will not mess with them as much.)

Giants (magical failures. they were supposed to be spies for a greater faction that tried to invade the world before, but what they came up with was not satisfactory)

Lycanthropes (Nature spirits protecting nature from the exiled fae and giants.)

Undead (though there is no plethora of undead things, if it's undead it's either mindless and going to kill you messily [zombies, ghouls and mummies are all the same thing] or very cunning and are going to kill you with some sick strategy [vampires, vampires with magic are called liches]. Ghosts don't exist.)

I was actually craving a bit of a fantasy setting, how open is this setting? If I create a character how free am I to say where he or she comes from, can I create the town, guild, nation? Technology: Stone Age, Bronze Age or Iron Age? Or is this Renaissance level tech? Guilds? Deities (Singular or collective)? Also, what about racial variants - Winged Elves, or Fae-touched Humans, or Outcast Dwarves? Half-Elves?

I was actually craving a bit of a fantasy setting, how open is this setting?

As open as the players want it to be. I'll drop story hooks, but if its not the player's prerogative to follow them, then who am I to force you there?

If I create a character how free am I to say where he or she comes from, can I create the town, guild, nation?

This setting is largely blank slate. If you make something up, talk with me, I'm open to ideas.

Technology: Stone Age, Bronze Age or Iron Age? Or is this Renaissance level tech?

It's largely swords and sorcery. That said, in weirder parts of the world you'll find inventors tinkering with gears and black powder.

Deities (Singular or collective)?

No gods. Magic is an energy that permeates through the world. Those who access it are running on their beliefs. If you believe studying a book will give you magical power or if you believe praying to an omnipotent being gives you power or if you believe thinking someone to death gives you power; it does. This is not lip service belief by the way. This is full on conviction belief.

Also, what about racial variants - Winged Elves, or Fae-touched Humans, or Outcast Dwarves? Half-Elves?

Flying elves were magical experiments by high elves. They mostly experimented on low elves and found the product to be unsatisfactory. The experimented on low elves could not return to their tribes so they set up their own society. ages later they're STILL low elves but look more birdlike.

Outcast Dwarves? Yes. "What you don't want to make weapons and armor? You don't want to tend shop? Get the fuck out of our mountain." Note that dwarves grow up learning to distrust every race, but 'deal' with them because they buy their quality goods.

Fae-touched humans are insane. Fae-touched ANYTHING is insane. Fae can breed with anything. The offspring, if not with another fae, will be 100% the other race. except quite mad. Then again, some people are good at hiding their madness.

Just posting to indicated that I'm still interested, at the moment, I have several ideas I'm still settling on, these two in particular.. the first is a low elf, with some deep ties to nature, I'm alternating between a shaman/druid type maybe with a minion in the great lynx, to a warrior/ranger with a few mystical tricks (and possible minion), to something more feral like a were-lynx or full on shapeshifter (in which case, both beings in the picture would be her)

Half_Elf_Girl_by_kerembeyit.jpg Or

Alternatively there is him, a high elf, he's definitely an arcane sort, with a number of mystical abilities, though once again, I'm sort of feeling that out, more toward natural and innate magic, or if it's something based on learning or will.

MAN_3_by_heise.jpg

My head isn't wrapping around this. I'm out. I think I'm going to stop building characters for a while. I'm burned out.

I'll think about things, if you're starting soon, I'll try to get in however you want, but if I got a few days, I'll need that.

I'm considering the possibility of making Grisselda less sinister, i.e. just a regular pixie; they still have a bad reputation for being nasty little critters, but they're not vicious cannibals. What do you guys think? Her powers could still the same, it would just require changes to her complications and her fluff.

“Allow me to be frank at the commencement. You will not like me. The gentlemen will be envious and the ladies will be repelled. You will not like me now and you will like me a good deal less as we go on.”
-Rochester (The Libertine)

"Get it into your head once an for all, my simple and very fainthearted fellow, that what fools call humanness is nothing but a weakness born of fear and egoism; that this chimerical virtue, enslaving only weak men, is unknown to those whose character is formed by stoicism, courage, and philosophy"

-Marquis De Sade

"I'm back, bitches!"

-Vegeta (Dragonball Z Abridged)

After fiddling with both ideas, I've decided I going to be going with Xavian here, he's a powerful Artificer High Elf, creator of and user of magical items as the core of his capabilities. I am going to be editing the character sheet a bit, from what I originally was thinking, to make him a lot more craftwise.

MAN_3_by_heise.jpg

So we've been talking about the undead in chat and I figure i'd actually record this for posterity :D

[Moira Morley] 4:45 pm: Hm. There is no afterlife and no one's actually been resurrected. Dead is dead in this setting. Something i do believe will be wonky in this setting for some beliefs

[Tommy OOC] 4:48 pm: hmm

[Tommy OOC] 4:48 pm: So dead is dead.

[Moira Morley] 4:48 pm: well, unless you do some horrific stuff and become UNdead

[Moira Morley] 4:49 pm: undeath is an 'acheivement' for those who want to prolong their 'life'.

[Tommy OOC] 4:49 pm: Transform and Litch Out you mean?

[Tommy OOC] 4:49 pm: err Lich

[Moira Morley] 4:49 pm: yup

[Moira Morley] 4:50 pm: zombies and other mindless undead are magic feuled puppets though

[Moira Morley] 4:51 pm: sentient undead however are 9 times out of 10 evil shits who dont give a care about anyone but themselves

[Moira Morley] 4:52 pm: the ritual goes two ways, you either ace it and become a lich or do not and become a vampire. vampires are not infectious in

this setting.

[Moira Morley] 4:52 pm: liches have magic vampires do not

[Moira Morley] 4:52 pm: they are the same 'creature' though

[Moira Morley] 4:53 pm: i think i should be writing this down. i have somewhat though :P

[Moira Morley] 4:55 pm: the 'upside' of vampirism is that with your undeath you dont melt away through the ages. you look exactly like you did when

you completed the ritual. in 1000 years liches will look like a walking corpse. vampires however will still b fresh

[Moira Morley] 4:55 pm: be fresh

[Tommy OOC] 4:57 pm: Hmm.... be fresh and turn into a stalker of the night.

[HyosephWorking] 4:59 pm: Batman?

As I have said, magic is an energy source that feeds off of will and belief, like Lantern rings but magic instead of light constructs. Each practitioner of their art thinks they're doing it right. Magical priests will believe their god is letting them work miracles. Wizards will believe that their magical formulas are correct. Psions will believe that they're just smart enough to handle magic. (A side note, these are not the only three schemes of magic around, just the most populous). This has lead to some bad blood between magic users. Some churches might be antagonistic to what they believe is heresy, others might take them in to understand more about them.

That said, no one KNOWS magic is the energy that keeps the realm together.

Seeing where this is going, I think I'll pass.

I thought the fantasy with M&M would be a good change, but I think the world just isn't a good fit for me.

I think the question I should be asking, is this: Is it intended for everyone to work together (at least grudgingly)?

Seeing where this is going, I think I'll pass.

I thought the fantasy with M&M would be a good change, but I think the world just isn't a good fit for me.

I think the question I should be asking, is this: Is it intended for everyone to work together (at least grudgingly)?

,, ,,

That's been my understanding; part of why I softened up Griz a bit was to make her a better team player.

Yes, that's the way I'm building Shen as well. He SHOULD try to kill Griz on sight but I softened his racial hatred to mere prejudice. He'll not trust her (probably for a while) but he won't try to kill her without provocation.

Archived