Mutants & Masterminds: Heroes United - Chapter 3c: Fight Club

Justin OOC

Gatekeeper cringed when Slither was bounced off the ceiling of the cage like a stuffed animal, fights like these were soo much more nerve-wracking when you knew they weren't fake. He caught himself chewing on his lip and wringing his hands more than once. It was physically relieving when Slither finally asked for assistance.

"Sending you a dose of increased speed, if you can keep him in one spot for more than 10 seconds I can trip him up." He then dropped his focus into expanding all the distances Slither traveled. As long as his focus held she'd dart in and out of any attack like a striking snake, almost too fast for the eye to follow. This, he hoped, would tax the reflexes of her opponent and give her more openings.

"Sending you a dose of increased speed, if you can keep him in one spot for more than 10 seconds I can trip him up."

"Thanks, love," Slither whispered through a feral grin. "I owe you a date." And then she felt it course through her, Keeper's loaned power. One time back when she was in uni studying for exams, she was nodding off in the library, and her mate Angela slipped her a 'little something' to keep her awake; this was like that times a thousand. Everything was sharp and clear, and all her muscles quivered like the strings of a violin when its played.

Now-now-now-now-do-it-NOW.

Good Lord, she was fast! She had an image of herself clotheslining Gorefist, and it then it just happened; in fact, it was already over. Izzy was on the other side of the cage, her opponent was on the floor twenty feet behind her on the floor, and she had no memory of crossing the space inbetween. Gorefist kipped up to his feet, shaking his head like a bull that had just run into a fence, and then he growled in rage, a deep gutteral noise that raised the hairs on Izzy's arms. He came back at her once again, but now she could see his approach like a slow-motion nature film of a cheetah lunging after its prey; his leaps were still terribly fast, but now she was able to avoid the brunt of his attack.

To keep the fight a bit more believable, she chose not to use all the speed Keeper gave her, just a burst here and a burst there; sometimes she still misjudged him and waited too long to supercharge, and the man-thing got a solid hit in that snapped her head back and left her reeling. Her own sense of fair play overrode her desire to avoid pain, so these licks were the price she had to pay. And she took quite a few of them.

In the end, she wore him down; Gorefist could not keep pace with 'the Red Death' forever, and has he got more and more winded, his hits became less accurate, and the few hits she was able to land on him began to take a toll, even though they seemed to leave little lasting damage to his body. A regenerator, do doubt. But even a man who could heal himself will eventually pass out from fatigue, which was what happened here.

As the bell rang and the ref held her hand up, izzy felt empty inside behind the pain; this victory felt hollow, cheap. But then she remembered she was not here to prove her valor in the ring, but to bring down a drug operation, and she was able to swallow her pride and take some satisfation that she'd made it this far.

The real prize would soon be within their reach.

Scout's match was more of the same, as they went three for three on their victories. When they finished, an envelope with an invitation was waiting for each of them. It would be a week until they had their next matches, and they were set to have their meetings a couple days before then.

Schnell thought little of the money he lost, but no he was already thinking of what the blood of these three could add to the catalyst. "Oh yes, I think despite some monetary loss, real profits were made my friend. They'll be big draws in the League."

Santos gave a thoughtful smile. "Indeed, they'll become champions or fodder, but I too foresee them burning quite brightly, one way or another."

,, ,,

End Chapter 3 cp to everyone. (Gatekeeper, Dash, Slither, each gain +1. Scout, if you post your fight at a later date (I know you're dealing with RL issues) you can gain this bonus point as well)

Archived