Mutants & Masterminds: Heroes United - Chapter 3b: Housecall

Justin OOC

Dealing with her opponent in such an overwhelming manner returned a measure of her self confidence. Seeing the big beast’s agenda, Jael changed her mind suddenly and reconsidered. She was the one to attack it – she was the only one who could be close in size to it.

Snarling, she broke into a rapid run. Her long black legs ate up the distance as she hurled herself at the monster. She slavering jaws opened and she would show no mercy, based on her fearsome appearance alone. Closer and closer she charged; once she was within a few steps, she triggered her change.

Something went wrong. What should have tightened released instead, and it wasn’t a fifty-foot solar-devouring wolf that slammed into the monster. It was a human woman who dove head-first into the creature’s leg.

Charge attack on the big guy:

Carver rolls 1d20: 1+10: 11

The Shock of mis-shifting stunned Jael, it was something she'd seldom ever done, but she did manage to not break her nose running smack into the monster's leg. That said, it was moving and she saw the massive leg rise and if she wasn't careful she'd be trampled by the beast.

(Gabe and Fulcrum are up)

Fulcrum looked around and swore to herself. If she crushed all these guys the old fashioned way, it'd take forever. And during that time Gabe and MO would have to watch their backs as they tried to take on that big guy. Unacceptable!

She wasn't going to try another drop-brain-kick...but there were other things she could do. Difficult...it was hard to focus on lots of things at once...but she was a big believer in the no-pain, no-gain philosophy. If she wanted to get better at this, she was going to have to work for it!

The crushed rubble of the rockman didn't fall to the ground. Rather, it stayed hovering where it was...and then other things started whizzing across to add to it. Lots of diamond shards...bigger rocks. A couple of small trees that uprooted and sailed over.

Fulcrum slowly turned around, and everything she saw that she could affect got sucked on into the growing, whirling sphere of debris that was forming. At the same time, she moved that sphere upwards and held it in the air overhead.

She went along with it...up and up...until she could see over what was left of Gabriel's house. Three over there, and four on the other side. Yeah. She could do this.

With a quick, sharp gesture, Fulcrum snapped her hands out away from her sides, towards both groups of monsters. The ball overhead EXPLODED into a hail of shrapnel...sharp rocks and flung diamond spears and tricycles and trees and fenceposts and everything that hadn't been nailed down. She threw it all!

The blasts were directional though, not haphazard...only the rock fiends and the big monster that had come up from below were showered with this deadly rainfall!

Fulcrum was breathing hard after that exertion, but wasn't debilitated any more than a brisk morning run might leave her.

"Just getting warmed up," she muttered.

Okay, using Extra Effort to stunt an Alternate Effect from her main TK power. I have a 43 point pool, and I stunt the following:

Damage (Burst Area 3, Selective Attack) +10 for a total of 40pp. This means the attack is centered on Renata, and affects all hostiles within 90 feet of her, and only hostiles, with a DC 25 physical attack. They get a Dodge defense versus DC 20 to reduce the damage effect to DC20, rather than DC 25.

Nice! Gabriel though silently as he flew to the side of the grounded rock monster just in time for Fulcrum's barrage to slam into it, peppering it with all sorts of debris. "Thanks, Crums." He said as he swiftly flew back and upwards, then forward all in one swift moment. His new target was obvious: the land shark that was poised to crush the suddenly defenseless Jael.

Gabriel wasn't much for flash. He basically had three primary modes of attack: A) Hit it until it stopped moving, B ) Hit it until is stopped moving, and C) Hit it until it stopped moving. It was a toss up, but he decided that plan 'C' would be the best course of action for the mammoth land shark. Jael was still mildly stunned from the impact and the monster was taking advantage of its opportunity. It's cylindrical granite foot rose up eclipsing Jeal in its shadow when the side of its face exploded into shards. The world seemed to slow down as the fist made its impact. His speed combined with the force of the blow was like something physics didn't have an equation for. The impact wobbled it off balance and it took several steps to one side in an attempt to recover its footing.

Gabriel stood between her and the land shark, with one hand extended to her in an offer to lift her back to her feet and one fist clenched and ready for the beast to charge again. It was like this kid just wanted to punch everything while moving at really high velocities.

"Sorry I'm late darlin'," the Montana drawl was clear in his voice as the adrenaline pumped through him. "Woulda rode up on my white horse, but I think the stable is wrecked. I'll hold it off while you get clear."

Got a 30 on the 'punch things' roll.

"Quick thinking." Magnum Opus nodded approvingly towards Gabriel and Jael. Then she turned her attentions back to the big one.

"Okay, mister dozens-of-feet-tall, swims-through-earth-like-it's-water, made-out-of-lava-and-stone, smells-like-a-dumpster: let's see what you got."

She rushed it, and wound up...

,, ,,

... and slammed it with an uppercut that sounded like the crack of a baseball off a bat.

In a stunning turn, Fulcrum's Improvisation proved devastating, as it shredded all of the remaining soldiers, though the much larger beast was too far away to be harmed. It gave a mighty bellow and looked prepared to discharge its breath weapon of molten lava and flame, then Gabriel staggered it, and Magnum Opus delivered a savage uppercut knocking it back onto two legs for a moment, its heinous breathweapon discharging into the sky, raining fire and molten lava down on the surrounding area, lighting the field ablaze, but miraculously missing Gabirel's home.

(Jael is up)

Gabriel stood between her and the land shark, with one hand extended to her in an offer to lift her back to her feet and one fist clenched and ready for the beast to charge again. It was like this kid just wanted to punch everything while moving at really high velocities. ,,

"Sorry I'm late darlin'," the Montana drawl was clear in his voice as the adrenaline pumped through him. "Woulda rode up on my white horse, but I think the stable is wrecked. I'll hold it off while you get clear."

“Aren’t you quite the gallant hero!” Jael’s tone wavered between aroused and playful, as if they weren’t in the middle of a battlefield. As always, her priorities were shown to be skewed way off the norm.

She rose to her feet; Gabe was still looking up at the land shark, but she caught his attention when she bypassed his hand and pressed herself against his side. When he turned to look at her, she caught his face in gentle, soft hands and kissed him firmly. “Thank you, but I can’t die, drengr.”

Stepping back, she looked up at the land shark. The kiss wasn’t just gratitude. Successfully indulging in an impulse calmed her mind. She tightened her muscles deep inside and felt the shift. She exploded upward into her birth form, her head tipping back as she changed. The unnatural howl that rose in the air raised hairs on necks as she challenged the monster to pick on someone its own size.

drengr - warrior

action: Standing up

Free: Talking/Kissing

Move: Shifting forms

Fulcrum stared in dawning horror at the fallout from that volcanic spit, and realized that even if they beat this thing into next week, it might leave the whole town a burning wasteland in the process. She had to shut that thing down!

She concentrated, focusing her eyes on the monster's jaws. Easy Ren, she thought, don't go crazy. You're already pretty winded. Don't fight the whole monster, just the mouth. Like an alligator...it's going to be a lot stronger closing its jaws than opening them...so keep them closed!

The rock-hided behemoth felt the air around its head thicken, and something that had no solidity and no texture...but who's force was all but irresistable, started to clamp its lower jaw inexorably up against its upper and closing off one of its most potent attacks!

(Using TK to attempt to force its mouth shut and stop it from breathing fire while everyone else kicks the crap out of it)

[salmonMax] 8:08 pm: (making a quick HU roll )
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 16+10: 26
[salmonMax] 8:09 pm: (Hahaha...TK strength check!)

• 2 weeks later...

With it's mouth closed, the creature seemed irritated in the extreme, So when Danielle Gut-checked it hard, a rumbling growl could be heard as it struggled against Renata's Telekinetic hold. It kicked out at her but missed, and they could see it's armored hide was starting to crack.

(Jael and Bastion are up)

"Woah..." Was all his hormonally saturated brain could muster as a response. He'd kissed a few girls in his day, he was seventeen after all, but he'd never kissed a woman, and Jael was certainly that. Plus, she kind of reminded him of that hot dragon chick on that HBO show, so that helped... or didn't help... whichever. With a stupid looking smirk on his face reminiscent of Han Solo getting away with something smooth, he took a moment to sway in the afternoon sun, his bearings completely lost.

"What was that?!" From her vantage point Cassy watched Jael and Bastian's kiss. "She can't do that! Can she? Isn't that, like, a foul or something? Distracting a man on the field!?"

Meg rolled her eyes and smiled devilishly. "Why? You jealous? You like my brother or something?"

"No!!" She defended herself, crossing her arms defiantly. "I'm just saying... they should be fighting those things, not making out in the middle of a fight, is all." Masking her ever-reddening complexion she continued to silently watch the fight.

That's my spot... Sebastian said to himself, eyeing the crack in the armor. Hopped up on angst and teenage hormones (two very volatile things to mix) he was back in the air with a simple leap backwards he soared up and was off like a shot. The thrill of the kiss, the urge to show off, the defense of his family and friends, the anger and fear of failure... all of these swirled around inside the young man as he soared towards his opposition.

No matter how exhilarating the kiss or how much bravado he mustered in defense of his family and friends there was still the anger and fear clouding his mind. He wanted to help, he wanted to do all kinds of great things... but what if? What if he failed them? What if he hurt someone? What if...?

He wrestled with his focus, still high on the taste of Jael's lips, Bastian managed grip that part of him that was willing to do the right thing no matter the cost. His fear was swept away by a confidence he'd never known before and, for a single moment, he impressed even his self.

It was like all of his strength gathered into a single spot on his body... as you may have guessed, it was his fist. With a thunderous boom his fist slammed into the cracked armor and the beast staggered, but he didn't stop there. Like a raging tornado Bastian continued to pummel the beast as it stagered, each blow blindingly fast until his arms were nothing more than a blur of tremor causing pistons until he finlay slowed and unleashed one final, thunderous blow that exploded like a sonic boom across the landscape.

He looked at his fist and then to the beast who had staggered and toppled end over end. He wavered a moment feeling weary and drained as some muscle fatigue set in. "Woah..." was all he could say to his fist.

It didn't answer.

Bastian hit the ground and went to one knee. He was tired and weary and it was obvious he'd over done it, like Fulcrum not but a few weeks before. He breated heavily, heaving like he'd ran a marathon for a month straight.

Because of Bastion's flaw he can't spend Hero Points. I flubbed it a bit, saying that Jael's kiss trigered that senseof recklessness that all young male teenagers have. High on hormones and the hopes that the faster this battle is over the sooner Jael will kiss him more (it's guy logic, go with it). So, I let him spend a Hero Point, but with only half the effect (+10).

Revenant *rolls* 1d20: 7: 7 + 8 +10 = 25.

I've left Bastion fatigued. All the heroics have taken a lot out of him... the fatigue can last for the typical hour duration or you can let me know when it expires.

Despite feeling more at peace after indulging an impulse, Jael still wasn’t a hundred percent balanced. That showed in her next attack, when her teeth snapped on nothing but air.

Kissing isn’t going to be enough if this bullshit keeps up! she snarled to herself, preparing herself for another strike on the monster.

Attack Roll: Fail

Carver *rolls* 1d20: 5+6: 11

[Carver] 8:55 pm: Grr... Lame.

The monster was hurt badly, as it feebly attempted to start digging to get away, but with it's mouth shut it couldn't use it's main method. It's armor was split and cracked, and they could feel the heat radiating from it. Whatever happened, it was long for this fight. The ground beneath it was scorched and cracked, it was like being next to an erupting volcano...

(Renata, Gabriel you're up)

• 2 weeks later...

With inhuman constitution, the giant beast righted itself, ripping up the fertile topsoil with the ridges and spines on its back even as the heat radiating from its stony hide baked the earth into parched clay. It roared; its mouth finally freed from Fulcrum's power when its jaw was briefly concealed under it and away from her. Without that line of sight, the connection was lost.

With Gabriel still recovering from his prodigious effort, Magnum Opus and Jael flanked it, and the monster reared up to avoid them. Its mouth opened, and that hellish volcanic light built up against within it. Fulcrum, with the benefit of a few yards of distance, could see that they weren't going to be able to stop it. They'd probably kick the crap out of it afterwards, but it was going to get one more blast of lava and fire out before they could get past its guard.

But she also saw something else. Gabriel's fusillade of punches had cracked the thing's armor along its underbelly. A really bad one, through which sullen red light glowed. A weakness that went all the way to its heart.

There wasn't time to think; Fulcrum acted on sheer instinct. Her power grabbed each side of that chasm rent in the monster's substance, and wrenched them apart with all the force at her command. Both Magnum Opus and Jael could feel the sudden tension in the air, as if a thunderstorm were suddenly churning to life all around them.

The rock monster abruptly sat up higher, or was dragged up...and stiffened. There was a crackling noise that suddenly culminated in a sharp, explosive BANG. The top half of its body jerked away from the bottom, its edge already crumbling and dripping little yellow-white drops, and came to a rest...fortunately it was hot-side up. The bottom half was sufficiently stable that it stayed where it was; the petrified hindquarters of some horrible thing, glowing hot at the point of separation, but rapidly cooling. In seconds the yellow had faded to dull red and was dimming steadily. The air around it was still hot, but it too was cooling.

Fulcrum was taken aback for a second, but then whooped and punched the air over her head as she rode her flying snowboard in for a closer look.

Magnum Opus exhaled as the beast grew still. She didn't look jubilant, but she didn't look upset either.

I suppose there was no way we could contain it. That has to be a priority going forward. I'll have to talk to Paladin and Northlight about it. In the meantime...

She hovered higher in the air. "Thanks, Gabriel, Jael, Fulcrum." She cast her gaze around, across the amber crops. "Now, let me know if you spot any smoke that I don't - they might not just be attacking this farmstead, but ones around it too. There might be a lot of fires to put out."

"Check it out," Fulcrum said as she came to a rest over the remains. "It's just rock. No guts or anything. I don't think this thing was alive..."

She looked around, then paused as her eyes tracked across the town.

"Smoke coming from town," she reported. "Might be more going on there. Lets move!"

And she was off!

The next two hours were cleanup, though in truth that took far less time, but they focused on making sure the holes were closed, and all the monsters were dealt with.

Aid was quickly and discreetly arranged, Through several shell companies, and Lester nodded to the rest of the team, once everything was in hand, and the fires were extinguished. "We should return home. I'd like to leave with confirmation that Gabriel is joining us, but after this incident, It is likely best he and his family talk of it themselves, privately."

After they said their goodbyes, he had them, along with Gabriel together near his home.

He nodded. "You all did very good work, I'm glad we were here. Had it just been Gabriel, there would likely be even more damage. We will help repair the damage, should it be asked." He called for a portal, and let the team go ahead of them. "Once you've reached a decision, call the number within the briefcase, it will connect you directly to me."

He offered his hand, which out of reflex Gabriel shook, it was the firm shake of an experienced man. "Even if the answer is No, call us Gabriel."

With that he let the handshake end and stepped through the gate, and Gabriel was left the only metahuman in his hometown once again.

End chapter 4 PP to everyone.

Archived