Mutants & Masterminds: Heroes United - Chapter 3b: Housecall

Justin OOC

In the end, Andery had gotten together what he felt was needed to help Gabriel. The New York Police department had agreed to deputize the young Metahuman to help keep peace in the city, in the event of a metahuman threat, or emergency beyond their ability to handle. In a secure briefcase currently in the Hands of Lester, Andery's assistant, was a contract to that effect for Gabriel and his mother to sign. There was also a Waiver because Gabriel was not yet eighteen. The third document to be signed covered remuneration. he had the option of cash like the others, but The offer to attend any university within the US, with all school related expenses paid could be expensive, but hopefully, it was an offer his parents and even Gabriel might appreciate as well. The offer for the free ride would also be extended to his sister as well, as a bonus.

For this Mission, Andery sent Danielle, Jael, Fulcrum, and Lester, who didn't look as he normally did. For this trip he wore a grey suit, but had blonde hair and dark green eyes. The quartet arrived, in Costume no less, via one of Gatekeeper's warpgates, well away from town to avoid being seen. The Media presence hadn't really dialed down much since the battle in New York.

Lester smiled at them. "This is your mission folks, to extend our offer to join you. We'll proceed however you like."

Fulcrum shrugged and peered around the countryside. After a second she pulled the mask that covered her nose and mouth off.

"I'm gonna need to rethink this costume now that I actually have to talk to people a lot," she muttered, rubbing her mouth. Then to Lester she said, "Okay, so...you have his address, right? Lets head over, knock on the door and give him a brochure or something. We'll just keep it simple, keep it chill... Buy him a pizza if he decides to join up. No problem."

Magnum Opus straightened the collar on her costume and fiddled with her hair. "I lucked out in the costume department, but I could help design you one. I think Paladin could help make one that's comfortable, too, with his powers and everything. I find people trust you more when they can see at least part of your face, though..."

She floated up a few feet, taking in the countryside. She whistled. "Wow. Imagine that view, every day." She smiled to the others. "Okay then! Let's go talk to young Mr. Stone. What do we say to any media people that're camped out there, though?"

"My favorite is always, 'get the hell out of my way,'" suggested Fulcrum. "That way they don't have to beep it, which makes it sound less 'white trashy,' you know? Other hand..."

She paused, then blinked as an idea unexpectedly occurred to her. Having other folks around opened possibilities she hadn't had before.

"...or we could have one or two of us run defense," she said. "Be seen in town, attract the press over. Give them some kind of stupid 'stay in school' speech while the rest of us got the kid."

"You're wasting your time, I'm sorry you came all the way out here." Was not a surprising answer from Gabe's mother. All the ladies definitely got the 'over protective mother' vibe from Connie and that was before Lester even attempted to make his offer.

Now they walked through the back towards the stables, Mr. Stone leading the way. His plan was to give the heroes time to talk to Gabe while he tried to explain to Connie that it was Gabriel's choice. Besides, judging from the tension in the air, it's been a rough week or so in the house. He seemed like an incredibly reasonable man, down to earth, straight forward and had worked hard to get where he was in life. As they walked he made small talk, telling them about the family. Connie's husband, Sebastian, died of cancer just a couple of months after Gabriel was born. Gabe was too young to remember him. John own wife had passed away from complications while giving birth to his daughter, Megan. Coincidentally, Gabe and Megan were almost identical in age. When the children were three Connie and John were married and the rest was history. IT was strange to find a family that didn't toss around the word 'step' like most, but to Megan and Gabe their 'step' parent were the only other parent they had ever known.

The countryside was gorgeous, especially this time of year. The fences kept in both cows and horses and the grazed on the fields of grass that seemed to go on forever. They seemed to wade in emerald pools occasionally raising their head to randomly whinnie or moo. Up on a far hill near a large tree, a single bull stood overlooked the grounds, apparently he believed himself king of the bovine grazing fields.Gabe wasn't hard to find, in fact long before they got to where he was waiting they could see him doing his chores. When they saw him he was toting two large rolls of hay on his shoulders, not the small squares but the huge rolls that easily had to weight 1,100 pounds a piece. He carried them like they were groceries, setting them down near the barn before gather what tools he was going to need for his upcoming task.

He had farm boy written all over him. He was in worn work boots, dirty denim jeans and a grime covered white tank top. While they'd seen most of him through his ratted up clothes in New York, it was easy to say Gabriel could have past for some sort of Calvin Klein model. Evey muscle the kid had was perfect. Broad shoulders, chiseled jawline, and abs you could do your laundry on. If fact, that was almost the odd thing about him... he was too perfect. However, it didn't take a genius to tell he wasn't the kid they'd met in New York. He didn't' seem focused, like his mind was everywhere but here and the general atmosphere of him seemed different: the smiles and the mirth were replaced resentful teenage angst.

As he was coming out of the stables to collect his hay he saw them and offered a smile. "Hey guys! Uh... gals... whatever..." He shrugged and the awkward teenager was back in the game. His eyes still possessed that unearthly shimmer of blue to them. One look and you were swept away to the sandy beaches of the Bahamas looking out over a crystal blue ocean.

John smiled at the group and nodded to everyone. "Well, I'm going to give you guys some time to talk. I'll see about talking to Connie. Gabe, when you all are done, if you could bring your friends back up to the house, we'll face 'The Mom', together." John and Gabe shared a grin, like it was some private joke.

"Yeah, no problem." He replied. John wasn't more than five steps away before Gabe got to the meat and potatoes of it. "So, what's up? What brings you by?"

Jael didn’t quite wipe her chin when she caught sight of Gabe but it was close. Her image would have been ruined by an overt sign of pure lust; she looked the part of a ‘Big City Recruiter’ in a nice blue-gray suit skirt and white blouse. As it was, the hungry look in her gray eyes would have set Connie off in a whole new way.

“We came by with a combative offer of engagement,” Jael told him. She tossed her blonde hair over her shoulder with a dazzling smile. It was also a smile that was undressing the young farmer – stripping off his tank top, picking the bit of straw of his hair before easing those jeans off of him.

“Oh, um.” Fulcrum struggled not to laugh. “I think that my colleague means a ‘competitive offer of employment’.”

Being corrected phased her for a moment but the centuries-old woman quickly recovered. “That’s what I said,” Jael said with enough confidence for six cougars.

“Not really,” Fulcrum replied, still stifling a giggle.

Jael waved her hand negligently in the air. “Close enough,” she said breezily. “What do you say, Gabe? Interested in getting paid to be awesome instead of a serf?”

Gabe had never met Jael until this moment. One sight of her and the other ladies could already see his teenage hormones playing soft, slow sax music in his mind as his eyes trailed up her impossibly long legs. He assumed she was the woman in charge and that Lester was her lackey, given her authoritative demeanor and business suit in lieu if a costume.

"A job huh?" His expression changed to a swift, contemplative frown that said it seemed like a fun idea. "I suppose. I mean, I'd have to like, do it on weekends or something because I have school. I could help out. I managed the play books on the football team, so I could sort files n' stuff for you guys." Gabe wasn't being funny and he certainly wasn't dumb. He was, however, a high school kid in an adult world so when the concept of job offering sprang into his mind the last thing he thought was 'be a super hero for fun and profit!' He honestly figured they'd be looking for an intern or someone to handle the office while they saved the city. The cute thing was that Gae was completely humble about it. Despite all his super abilities his expression was honest and told them he'd be perfectly content to just sit in the office and be the janitor. "I could totally be the mechanic, like if you guys have super vehicles like the MO-bile or something... I could totally fix them. That old truck my dad has only runs thanks to me." He offered a proud smile.

"Thanks," He said to MO. He rolled one of the bails off his shoulder to MOs. "It was no problem guys, glad I could help. It's good to see you feeling better Fulcrum." Those suckers were six to eight feet thick and the two heroes looked awkward with cylinders of hay almost twice their size on their shoulders, toting them effortlessly. Physics didn't seem to apply to super strong people sometimes, since the hay should have collapsed or toppled either hero from the sheer bulk on one side, but they didn't seem bothered by pesky things like 'science' (whatever that was). They followed him around to the side of the stables.

He was quiet and they could tell he wasn't talking for a reason. Finally once they set the hay bails down he leaned against one and folded his arms. "Me? No. My parents and sister are more inconvenienced than me, I can fly over the fence, they have to try and drive through that mess. They've been at my school, harassing my friends and whatnot, but I suppose that's their job." If Gabe had an uncaring, sarcastic side, they were sure they'd just seen it. He sighed and it occurred to them that he'd yet to really make eye contact with either of them yet. He just looked at the ground, as if to say the beautiful blue sky held no wonders for him today.

"Okay, I'm seriously ticked off." He finally said after an awkward silence. "They came to my house the night after and they stripped me of all my extra circular awards, claiming that I 'cheated' to get them. That's not true, but they said it was going in my file nonetheless that I did cheat to get them. I got kicked off the football team. Half the school thinks I'm sort of a freak show who is a liar and a cheater while the other half thinks I'm only there now to do tricks for them. 'Bend this', 'lift that', 'dude, fly me home'. Oh, and by the way... you're grounded. Yeah, loved that one. Oh, and my best friend's dad has totally caught the wiggins about me despite knowing me forever, so she can't hang out with me anymore either."

He wiped his hands over his face and sighed again. "It sucks. You do something good, heroic even, and the world finds some way to punish you for it. My parents have always taught me to do what's right, to stand up for myself and that if I want to be treated like an adult I have to act like one." He pushed off and hefted up a hay bail. "S'cuse me guys..." They made way for him as he looked out over one of the fields littered with cows. They lazily grazed about but they'd almost completely grazed the field to the point where there was nothing left. They could see, about a hundred yards out, was the remains of a previously feasted upon feeding bail. Like a basketball player Gabe hoisted up the hay and went for a three pointer. Eleven hundred pounds of hay soared through the air and the impact snapped the bindings and collapsed the bail into a messy row of edible hay for the cows. "He shoots. He scores." Apparently he wasn't too depressed.

He turned and faced them all, a small smile showed he was pleased to be having some fun with his chores. "Why do you guys bother? I mean, it's obvious people don't want heroes, they want to sit around and be miserable and let people pity them on their live streams. People are miserable out there, and they like it that way. That's what I learned in New York, but I was curious about you guys... I mean seriously... why do you bother?"

Fulcrum nodded to herself at the kid's plight.

"It's not so bad if no one knows who you are," she says with some sympathy. "Believe me, as bad as you've got it, it'd be ten times worse for me if I got caught without something over my face. As for why..." She shrugged. "It feels good."

That sounded better than 'it's my therapy.'

"I started small, before I ever got anything like powers.There's a lot of shit that walks on two legs over where I was, and...I just got sick of it. It's like...every time you see something and just walk away, you're letting them win. And it's not them against whoever they're going after. It's all of us. It's the whole...civilization we live in. Once I started thinking about it like that, I had to do something. Can't just sit and let the other side win, you know?"

She rested a hand on her hip and made a flippy gesture with the other. "Powers, no powers...doesn't make much difference except instead of punching some punk-ass mugger out, I'm lofting a giant shark monster out into the bay. Kinda feels the same to me."

Fulcrum gave Gabriel a smile. He seemed like a nice kid.

"Anyway, no one expects you to just jump into it, after what happened to you. Hell, you just dipped your toe in, and now..." She waved a hand in the direction of Gabe's front yard. "So it must look kind of bad from where you're standing. You're getting the hard part over with right now though, you know? After this, you don't have a secret identity, so you don't have to worry about protecting it anymore. Focht, the guy who's bankrolling us...he'll look after your folks. That's part of the deal."

Magnum Opus eschewed tossing the bale, choosing instead to gently place it beside the one Gabriel had deposited. After snapping the restraints, she returned, strings in hand in case they were to be reused. Despite her care, there were bits of hay sticking out of her hair. She appeared not to notice.

"Not everyone's like that, I find. Some are like that, for whatever reason, it's true, and they get a little too much attention sometimes. But there's always been people who make an effort to do better, to be better, and to demand better. First time I ever had to use my powers in public was at Occupy Wall Street, surrounded by a lot of people who were just fed up. It was a learning experience in a lot of ways, really. A rough time." She looked distant for a moment, before exhaling. "I decided to be more like one of those people. I'm not sure I am one, all the way, just yet, but I'm trying.

"I wish I could help you out with the secret ID thing, and maybe the people back at base can help with that. If it helps, I've been doing this for two years and if people see you often enough, they get used to you. So as tempting as it is to shut yourself away from the world, I don't think you really ought to do that."

“I have a low boredom threshold.” Jael’s answer was as brisk as it was unsurprising to Lester and the two heroes who’d gotten to know her a little. While it might be easier to think of her as a woman who could look like a wolf, it was more accurate to call her a wolf who could look like a woman. “And I owe Andery a rather substantial favor, one that can’t be paid back through money. I also don’t give two shits about what people think about me. I know what I am, I know my value and fuck them if they don’t understand either. Or if they fear it.”

She eyed one of the nearby cattle, who was staring back at her and starting to slowly look alarmed. Gabe smelled odd to them at times but this woman smelled of something far more primal than that. Plus she was looking at them like she was counting off the steaks. “We all have our reasons for doing this,” she said, wrenching her gaze back to Gabe after licking her lips once. “The question for you becomes, are all the punishments that people are going to ladle onto you worth ‘doing the right thing’?” She didn’t make air quotes but it was clear from her tone that she had little regard for morality. “What do you want?” She purred the last word out with a slight ‘come hither’ smile. “What do you need?”

"Ma'am," He looked to Jael and shrugged. "I honestly don't know. I'm seventeen, I have one more year of school and it seems like everything has sort of..."

"Gone to pot?" Fulcrum offered sympathetically.

"Yeah." Gabe nodded and plucked a few rogue straws from Danielle's golden hair. He didn't have much trouble with personal bubbles so it was obvious this wasn't the first time he'd pulled straw from a lovely lady's hair. "Y'got a few... uhh..." He smiled at her, offering a friendly wink. Danielle took over for him and he thanked for helping him with his chores before he continued.

"It's just, Magnum Opus said something that day I've not been able to get it out of my head. She said those things were alive and I just thought they were like rock and that's it. I didn't think about whether they were living things or not I just flew in and started..." His eyes were locked on the ground and they could all tell he was back in New York. "Well, you saw. I can't stop thinking about all the people that could get hurt if I help."

"What you didn't see was what was happening before," Fulcrum said, her voice a combination of angry and sad. "When those things first came up, the streets were crowded. They came spilling out of the buildings and started grabbing people. Ever see what happens to someone when a big chunk of molten lava grabs them?"

She looked away for a second, working her jaw.

"It's...good, I guess, that you're worried about hurting people. I can't say that won't ever happen. But we saved a lot more people, no matter what those things were, and the people we saved were the innocent ones. So. No regrets here."

Lester had remained silent, but chose now to speak. "People will invariably get hurt. I do not believe there's some way to prevent it entirely. What we will seek to do is minimize that, as much as possible. As for your schooling, Private Tutors could be arranged, if you would be willing to move to New York. Even here, if you're unhappy with school."

"I think you're wrong, actually. People do want heroes. Perhaps they would prefer ones who are just humans doing heroic things, and plenty of those walk this earth already. But as you saw there are threats now that are beyond the human capacity to handle. Only Metahumans can really handle other metahumans reliably. You've seen what happens when metas brawl, and not just the throwdown in the city. That's far from the first time, and it will not be the last."

"You were taught to help others, I'll ask you this. How do you want to help them? You have many great gifts, but only you can decide how or why you use them."

Magnum Opus held still as Gabriel plucked the straw out of her hair. A little too still, though her pleasantness returned quickly enough once Gabriel stepped back a bit. "I had straw in my hair? Oh. Didn't notice."

Oh, that's what it feels like when a man steps in a little too close. Why didn't I ever notice it before...?

"If it makes you feel better," she said, straightening her collar and brushing a little straw off her shoulder pads, "They are alive in a technical sense but we're not sure if they're sentient or not. Frankly, right now we're not sure what they are. The word 'inert' got thrown around a lot. But I didn't know that then, so I did make a choice that - while I'd prioritize saving the lives of the people in New York - I'd give them some chance to surrender and explain what was going on. Maybe we drilled down too deep looking for oil and disrupted a sacred site or flooded a community of theirs with fracking water.

"However - that's just me. I don't think anyone would blame anyone for having to use lethal force in that situation. I just..." She frowned. "I figure we can't punch down, is all. I figure we have to hold back a little unless we're sure that what we're up against can take everything that we can throw at it, because if we're not, then we're bullies, and we're terrifying because most everything that can stop a normal person can't stop us."

She met Gabriel's eyes. "So - all of this is stuff we can work out together. This is new to everyone - well, except her - " She waved towards Jael. "It's definitely new to me. Even after two years, this job keeps throwing me curveballs. I know you're a little bit worried and scared and that's a good sign. It means you're thinking things through and taking a wider view. If you keep doing that, I think you're on the right track, whether you join up with us or not."

If Gabe hadn't been completely stressed out by his mother, the press, being grounded and not being able to hang with Cassy anymore his mind might have picked up on the fact that he was being recruited into a super hero team that was apparently teeming with hot blondes. Instead he met her eyes in return and offered her an agreeable smile. He seemed to accidentally flirt with every bit of his body language. "Work it out together? I'd like that."

He took a deep breath and looked at everyone else, not noticing Fulcrum rolling her eyes under he mask, wondering if he was doing it on purpose. "Alright guys, you sold me." He said proudly. Fulcrum was positive that it had nothing to do with the hot blondes. Fulcrum was also positive she was lying to herself. "I'll go to New York. Hopefully you guys can help me with my abilities."

"So," He shrugged to Lester and Jael. "How does this work? How do you plan on convincing my mom that it's a good idea? I know she's being a bit unreasonable, but I think she's still in shock, you know? She watched me, her son, get pummeled on by rock men. Any loving mother would be a bit on edge after that, she just wants me safe."

"Gabriel," Lester asked. "Did your mother know about your abilities?"

"Oh, yeah." He answered the question like it a 'duh' question. "She's always known. She said I was born with my abilities, but she won't tell me anything about my dad. I've been doing super things ever since I was a toddler, only in the last couple of year though have they really begun to develop. It's like they're amped into overdrive. As a kid, I used to break the safety latches on the cabinets. Jump up to the top of the fridge for cookies. You know, kid trouble. I once broke the safety latch in the bathroom and drank a whole bottle of mouth wash. According to her I was drunk off my butt and my pull ups were winter fresh for a week." His expression took on the horror of his brain realizing that there were still incredibly attractive blondes listening to him. "Aaaand I can't believe I just shared that...."

At that, MO laughed. "Someday when they mix a drink strong enough to get me buzzed and I work up enough courage, I'll tell you all how I got my powers. You'll laugh so hard." Or, be so violently repulsed that you'll want nothing to do with me, there might be that, too.

"Were your parents free to discuss this, then? Or did you want to wait on that a little while longer?"

Jael didn’t laugh, mostly because she wasn’t sure what a ‘pull up’ was. Had she been aware, she probably would have laughed even harder than MO had. There were few things jotun appreciated more than a good bit of potty humor.

At MO’s question, Jael sighed heavily. “I don’t see the point in waiting.” Talking was all well and good but it was also boring. “I doubt waiting five minutes or even five hours is going to change her mind if she’s worried about her son. Gabe, I plan to ask her why she seeks to keep you from doing the work of a warrior. If she’s your mother, surely she wishes to see you do good works, gain acclaim as a warrior, and make your luck.” Jael crossed her arms, wondering if all modern women tried to keep their sons babies forever. “You are a man-grown, you have the might and main of a hero, and you could battle a jotan on equal terms. Why does she insist on holding you to her side?”

“And this is why I’ll be doing the talking,” Lester said in the awkward silence that followed Jael’s words.

Jael scowled. “What is wrong with what I said? It’s all true.”

“For your culture, I’m sure it’s correct. “ Lester faced her as he spoke firmly.

“No, it is truth. Gabe doesn’t need his mother to protect him. Just because this culture sees value in treating men like children doesn’t make it right.” Jael glanced at Gabe. “Do you want to be a man-child? Do you want to have a beard still wet with your mother’s milk?”

"You know, take out all the Viking stuff, and she's still right," Fulcrum pointed out. "Gabe wanting to be a superhero's no different for him than any other kid wanting to be a firefighter or a cop. Maybe a little risky, but he'll be doing things that need doing, and that only he can do."

She shrugged. "But lets tell her this stuff. We don't need to convince each other. Gabe, you want to introduce us?"

The world had gone quiet. Gabe heard it first, a roaring sound, then they all felt the massive tremors. The ground shook violently, Several mounts roughly a hundred yards off rising up, then exploding into miniature volcanoes As Stone Figures began emerging from the molten lava. They were bigger than the basalt soldiers, thicker and abit blockier, and easily ten times heavier, standing ten feet tall and bristling with diamondlike spines, to make matters worse, there were at least half a dozen there, and from the sound of the screams, at least one more hole had opened up at the front of Gabe's home, as there were fires and screams coming from the media encampment. From below the three holes, There was a loud familar roar. They all knew what was coming...

For Gabe it was worse, he could hear it further in town, all across town, More of these things were coming to the surface, and they simply didn't have New York's resources to deal with them.

we're in combat, roll initiative, and post initial actions

"I'll try to protect the people!" Fulcrum snapped. She threw her new vehicle to the ground...a snowboard all done up in olive and dun camo patterns. The reason why quickly became apparent as she stepped aboard and the little clamps locked onto her feet.

She wasn't getting knocked off THIS one.

"Covering five won't be easy though, so get those people out or knock those monsters down in a hurry!"

With that, Fulcrum was on her board and zipping off around the corner to the front yard where she stopped and hovered, eying the monsters where they stood.

She lifted her hands...and waited...ready to counter whatever they tried.

(Moving into visual range of conflict and activating Deflect. Any enemy attack within her range she now gets to roll at +10 versus the attack roll to attempt to counter. If her roll succeeds, the enemy attack is deflected. She can redirect deflected attacks towards any target she wishes...at this point, she'll have those attacks go to the first monster that attacks.)

"Gabriel, get your family to safety as fast as you can. Fly them out in a car or a truck. Lester, if you have make-rock-people-go-away powers I'd love if you used them - otherwise try and contact HQ and see if Gatekeeper can get us backup. Fulcrum, I - thanks, you're way ahead of me. "She smiled at the telekinetic before turning her attentions to the magma men.

"Jael, I'll take the right and you take the left and we'll work our way in. Try and leave them alive? Because I would like to get at least one of these things to talk."

Then the wheat in the field parted in a burst of distended air as Magnum Opus rushed the magma men in a blur. She leapt up in the air, swinging down with both fists with a haymaker...

OOC

Initiative: Mike *rolls* 1d20: 8+3: 11

Magnum Opus will punch a rockman super-hard straight down into the dirt with a top-down haymaker.

[Mike] 10:29 pm: Magnum Opus' attack roll:
Mike *rolls* 1d20: 20+8: 28
[Mike] 10:30 pm: Hahaaaaaa.

That is a critical hit, and MO attacks with a +12, so DC to resist her attack is Toughness vs. DC 32 (15 + 12 + 5 for crit.)

Gabe was shocked for a moment. Everything happened so fast that he was frozen in place and only able to look on as the world seemed to dissolve into slow motion and absolute chaos. He heard Fulcrum say something but it was simply echos in the back of his mind. Magnum Opus began hammering out orders but she may as well had been screaming "Wah, wah, wah..." like that teacher from the Peanuts cartoons.

"But..." Was all he could mumble.

"GO!" Magnum Opus shouted to him and it seemed enough to snap him back into the now.

Like a shot he was gone. The air exploded as he broke the sound barrier, closing the distance between the barn and the house in almost an instant. Damn kid was fast when he wanted to be. Stressful and in a bit of a panic he could barely keep his strength in check, the sliding glass door on the back patio was torn off its rail as he threw it open.

"Mom! Dad! Meg!" He shouted, half in a panic with worry. "Garage, now! Get in mom's car!"

His mother rounded the corner, scared by the earth tremors and the sound of the door being thrown open. "Sebastian what is... oh my god..." The battle was already taking place outside in the back and Fulcrum was well on her way out front as the Magma-People thundered round the grounds.

"GO!" He screamed like Magnum Opus had to do to him just a few moments before, there seemed to be a lot of the going on in the Stone house hold today. They began getting organized when a fourth set of feet thumped down the stairs. Gabe's jaw dropped. "What are you doing here?"

Cassy held up one Gabe's school notebooks. "I came to borrow your science notes. Your dad said you were busy with guests, I didn't want to bother you."

No, no... not her too. Gabe mind was in overload, he wasn't equipped to handle this, he wasn't a leader and sure as hell wasn't like those guys out there. They were heroes, they knew what to do... he was a high school kid. "Garage, now. Oh, and your timing sucks..." He pointed and she fell in line with everyone else.

"Cassandra, you sexy she-devil! How the heck are you?" She began to mock Gabe in a terrible impression of his voice as she ran towards the garage right behind Megan. "Haven't seen you in like ever since your jerk dad said we couldn't hang any more. Wow... you look great... do something different with your hair?"

"That's my brother..." Megan added. "So ungrateful."

"I know right?" Cassy replied. Her heart was about to jump through her chest. She was scared and the levity was the only thing keeping her from slipping into an all out panic attack of her own.

As his family ran Gabriel looked back to the fields, they had time, at least. Hearing his sister and best friend complain about him he rolled his eyes. "Women."

Move Action - Get to the house.

Standard - Move with the family towards the garage.

Free - Bark orders and be mocked by his best friend and family...

As everyone took up positions for battle, which for Some meant defense (Fulcrum) or blitzkrieg (MO) The monsters moved, faster than before but still somewhat slowly. Gabriel's Family made it to the car with more levity than most would expect in the situation. As they began getting into the car, the Garage door was peeled away, revealing two of the basalt soldiers, their inner lines seeming to glow with molten magma.

Fulcrum soon got her own chance to shine as three of the soldiers drew stone lances and hurled them towards her. (their attack rolls were 22, 23 and 21)

At the other end, despite their even more built look, Magnum Opus proved to be a powerful match to them. Her earthsplitting punch did exactly that, fracturing and outright shattering the Stone Behemoth she hit, leaving eleven more around her.

(init order is Gabe and Fulcrum, MO, monsters, Jael. Jael is up.)

Three of the rock beasts lumbered towards Fulcrum...even hovering, she was about at chest level for them. Perfect height for punching! They advanced in a line, with two breaking to flank her sides, the third coming straight in. She didn't even flinch as it rushed forward, shaking the ground with each thunderous footfall, and aimed a haymaker straight at her center of mass.

The giant rock fist stopped in midair about three inches from her face, as if it had struck something infinitely hard, and utterly immovable.

"I'm feeling a lot better now," she told it. And then she had to move, because the other two didn't give her more time for cool quips than that. More fists, from her right and left.

She twisted in midair, dipping and revolving so that for a moment there she was 'lying down' in midair, able to see both attacks coming at once. Her hands went out and finished the roll, flipping back onto her 'feet' on the floating snowboard. Invisible force tugged at the two rockmen's arms at the same instant. Not directly intervening as with the first, but instead redirecting their punches. Guiding them fluidly to bring their power against a new target...the rockman in the middle who now found itself slammed from both sides in her stead!

Unfortuantely, the awkwardness of 'working with' other creatures, especially ones of this mass and strength, took its toll, and Fulcrum misjudged how much force to apply. The two rockmen stumbled as they were wrenched off-course, and missed their target.

Dice Rolls

[salmonMax] 11:42 am: Okay, making rolls for Deflect then.
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 11+10: 21
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 19: 19
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 4: 4
[salmonMax] 11:43 am: Okay so... 21, 29, and 24
[salmonMax] 11:43 am: So one hit on Fulcrum...and two monsters hit each other.
[salmonMax] 11:43 am: What's the damage DC?
[Long6] 11:44 am: 22 max
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 13+10: 23
[salmonMax] 11:44 am: Boom.
[salmonMax] 11:45 am: Okay...I will post something up

Rolls to hit with Redirect:

[salmonMax] 12:06 pm: Well I'll make my rolls...assuming unarmed.
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 6+8: 14
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 2+8: 10

Between her first step and her second, Jael went from an ordinary woman to an extraordinary wolf. Twelve feet of black fur from ground to shoulder launched itself at the first group of basalt monsters. The hunt was on, and frankly, Jael couldn’t have been more pleased. In the choice between fighting for her life against monsters and dealing with one smothering mother, the monsters won every time.

Clumps of dirt flew into the air as she dug her claws into the turf with each bound. She bore down on one of the monsters, her jaws opening wide as she dove into the attack.

Roll
Jael *rolls* 1d20: 8+10: 18

Jael was able to bite one of the monsters, managing to avoid the diamondlike shards protruding from it to find purchase. The creature stopped moving forward and swung its arm down toward her the big spikes coming in hard, hitting her in the shoulder with a meaty sound. (DC 25 toughness save please)

(fulcrum and Gabriel are up)

For Damage Resolution only

The spiked arm looked a lot bigger this close up, and Jael snarled as it crashed into her shoulder. It felt like it was starting to bite into her skin, only to be turned aside by her thick fur. Still, that had been unpleasantly close.

Toughness saves
Toughness vs DC 25: Carver *rolls* 1d20: 3+15: 18, not cool ,,

HP reroll

Toughness Save vs DC 25: Carver *rolls* 1d20: 13+15: 28, Pass

Fulcrum risked a glance at the crowds of reporters and onlookers. They were getting away, but were still too close. She had to buy them more time!

The snowboard wheeled around and took her on a curving path, winding around her three adversaries as she tried to keep their attention, while simultaneously giving her enough of a view of the countryside that she could try to intercept anything harassing the civilians.

Once they were clear, she'd be joining the party for realsies.

(Deflecting again!)

"What are those things?!" Meg screamed from the back seat. The house shook as the three monsters stomped around outside.

Gabe ushered his mother and father into the car. His father looked at him calmly, giving him that glare that told him, from one man to another, he trusted his son's judgement. The garage door was finished rolling up right about the same time Fulcrum wizzed past dodging angry stone fists as they cracked the stepping stones and tossed drive gravel several feet up into the air.

"Go! Go!" He shouted at his father and he started the engine. His mother called out for him but his father knew his plan, Gabe planned on staying to fight. He flew slowly along side the vehicle as it left the garage and it was a moment before one of the monsters whipped its head about and launched an attack against the fleeing car. John winced, preparing for the worst as the ladies screamed and attempted to shield themselves with their arms, for the good it would have done.

When nothing happened the ventured a look and Gabriel was standing outside the car blocking he giant fist with both his hands, wrestling the beast in a feat of strength. The monster pushed down with all it's weight while Gabe pushed back, both of his hand flat against its massive hand. He sunk slightly into the earth as he gritted his teeth and tried to hold out against this monsters strength until his family escaped. John saw it, his dad could see he was holding back for fear of maybe hurting someone on accident and in that moment he took the cue and floored the gas. The car sped across the lawn leaving a pair of dirt tracks across the once green and well cared for lawn. They tore through the yard until they were a safe distance away and John skidded the car to a halt.

Fulcrum and Gabe were holding their own against the monsters but his mother covered her mouth and winced every time one of the beasts took a step and shook the ground, fearing the next one might step on her son. Meg looked on nervously, biting her thumb nail like she always did when she was worried or scared. She narrowed her eyes slightly when she looked at Cassy. Gabe's best friend looked on like a child witnessing the magic of Christmas for the first time. Her eyes were wide open, taking in everything that was going on, from Jael battling in the back with Magnum Opus, to Gabe and Fulcrum orchestrating the safe retreat of the civilians so they could finally fight back. It was obvious her attention was on Gabriel, but she was entranced by the whole scene.

Fulcrum 'buzzed the tower', slipping dangerously close to one of the monsters in order to keep its attention it lurched back to deliver an attack when a sudden impact knocked it well out of range, causing it to stagger and stumble until it fell backwards. Gabe slammed into its side like he was a trying to break down a door in an action movie, and it seemed to work well enough. "Sorry I'm late Crums, had to get the family to safety. You okay?"

"Peachy." She slid to a stop like she was actually shredding. "They're okay, I hope?"

"Good as anyone who is going through this could be. I think my mom's in shock, my dad thinks all this awesome, and my sister is prolly recording this for YouTube." He shrugged and braced himself for combat. "So, my mom said since you guys are here, you gotta help me take out the trash."

"Dude, that was so weak." She continued to observe the crowd, and with Gabe at her side he could run some awesome interference for her. Things were looking up. "We'll have to work on the witty one-liners."

"Everyone's a critic..."

Although I posted him as more engaged, Gabe's Move and Standard action were technically just getting his family to safety. He'll launch an attack next turn.

The multitude of Stone Warriors all began to launch attacks, filling the air with diamond Shards, though oddly those that hit the other soldiers did nothing but replenish the shards on their surfaces. The one engaging Jael swung down at her again with it's other arm which was covered in razor edged shards.

Magnum Opus seemed to have the system for killing these new soldiers down to a science, as her own blow shattered another one, leaving ten in the back yard.

Everyone needs to roll a toughness save vs DC 24. The creatures save 2 used an Area attack to try and hit everyone at once, each one has a radius of 100m. Fulcrum may roll to deflect the attack on Jael as normal, needs to beat a 23, otherwise Jael needs to Roll a second Toughness vs DC 25 The immediate area is now clear of civilians, just in time too..

Even after this, the ground shook and a gout of lava geysered into the air, as another, even larger monster like the ones they fought in New York emerged from the whole, its massive claws goughing the ground. This beast's eyes glowed an eerie red, and they could feel the heat radiating from it.

{Jael is up, then we're back to the top of the round, with Fulcrum and Gabe.)

Positioned roughly at the center of the enemy formation, Fulcrum was in a good position to see what was going on. Diamonds like quills on massive porcupines sprouted off of the rockmen's shoulders and backs...then launched with noises like giant champagne corks going off, leaving faint trails of sulferous fumes in their wakes. In the blink of an eye, the air was filled with razor-edged death.

Fulcrum did her best...but the human eye and perception had limits. Diamond shrapnel slowed in midair and dropped to the ground, but for every sabot she stopped, three or four more zipped past unimpeded. One ripped past her arm, cutting an effortless line through the elastic black fabric of her costume, and giving her a painful cut to boot! Worse, she was so distracted by having to save her own skin, she couldn't spare the time to stop the fist of the beast attacking Jael!

"Ungh!" she gritted, but from the corner of her eyes she saw that the fleeing civilians had managed to get clear.

Finally she could take the gloves off!

"Guys? Lets grab all these diamonds after the fight, and use them to start a company." Fulcrum lifted a hand and made a grabbing motion in midair. One of the rock monsters shuddered and rose in the air...cracks started shivering over it as she 'clenched' that unseen grip. "I'm thinking...concrete."

(Using Damaging Move Object on one of the rock monsters who is not currently in melee. Damage save vs DC 25)

Note - the Deflect roll for Jael did fail...sorry, I rolled an 11.

:(

[salmonMax] 1:05 am: Okay, so rolling Toughness, not Deflect. Damn, I guess I wasted my action.
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 11+10: 21
[salmonMax] 1:05 am: A fail, but by less than 5...I can live with that.

Jael was ready for the next stone warrior or so she thought until shards of diamonds tore through her fur and into her skin. Worse, the fine dust got in her eyes and for a moment, she was defenseless. Rubbing her face instinctively on her foreleg wasn’t her most brilliant idea but she couldn’t see! She had to have her vision clear.

It was long enough for her to take two bad blows. Blinking and slightly confused, Jael resorted to her favorite tactic: bite the shit out of something and figure it out later. Her teeth closed around the stone warrior’s leg this time, even as the big guy surfaced from the earth.

Fuck him. It was someone else’s turn to take that big guy out.

,, ,,

Rolls vs. DC 25

Carver *rolls* 1d20: 7+15: 22, fail by 3, -1 penalty

Carver *rolls* 1d20: 3+14: 17, fail by 8, -1 penalty & Dazed (standard action only)

Attack roll:

Carver *rolls* 1d20: 7+10: 17 – hit, DC 25 on damage

Gabe covered his eyes, swinging up one arm to shield them just in time as the diamond shards tore into his body. His flesh was hyper resilient, but the payload was still diamond. His shirt and jeans were tore in several spots and several minor abrasions appeared. If only cosmetic it still proved that he was not invulnerable, he could be cut and bruised like any other. On the opposite of that coin, some of the diamonds that didn't cut him simply shattered against his skin sending a rain of crystalline powder and expensive droplets all across the area.

His mother and sister cried out as the diamonds slammed into, unaware of the extent of what sort of punishment her could withstand. Amazingly enough he tried to tune them out, if he kept looking at them these things would hammer him flat. Cassy just kept watching, her mouth agape in amazement. His father just offered him a nod through gritted teeth, like the diamonds were nothing more than a tackle on the field. He'd tough it out, and get back in the game.

Suddenly all of this was very real to him...

His home was in ruins, his father's land was destroyed, his family was in danger. Gabe heart pounded like a bass drum the rhythm was like a thunderous tempo that mingled with the blood in his ears drowning out the world around him. He didn't care what these things were, he just wanted them gone. All that talk of worry and fear that he might hurt someone were already hushed memories as he slowly began losing control. He was afraid. Afraid of failure, afraid for his family, afraid for his 'teammates' if something were to go wrong. This was real, and he was scared and scared animals sometimes do anything they can to ensure their survival...

"You like the earth so much?!" With an outcry of rage at the rock beast Gabe soared into it, slamming into its chest and knocking it hard enough to lift it off the ground. He carried it up high, several stories, and swiftly spun around lobbing it back to the earth below. It impacted with several tons of force but he wasn't done. With every ounce of speed he could muster in such a short distance Gabe sped off in pursuit, the sky exploded into a sonic boom that shattered every window of his home. As the beast tried to regain its footing he slammed into it, landing on its chest with one powerful punch that cracked its breastplate and sent it reeling even deeper into the crater caused by its landing. "I'll send you back there myself!"

Still on the monster's chest he and the beast wrestled about, trading blows and parries.

Justin already rolled the resistance in chat. It failed by 5, To save time I'm not placing a whole bunch of rolls and stuff here.

For reference, I hit with a 27, it defended with a 22.

OOC
Toughness Save (DC24.) (1d20+12=25) ,,

Passed the check; Magnum Opus is unharmed. Forgot to post with Interpose in time, so that'll be one for next time.

Magnum Opus threw up her hands to guard herself against the attack. The shards spent themselves uselessly on her nigh-impervious flesh.

She lowered them, and blinked at Gabriel. Okay. He'd never leave them, so they must be safe. Keep one eye on him and the other on the others...

"Everyone okay?"

Think he's waiting on me.

"Just checking." Magnum Opus sized up the fight. Gabriel had the big one, it seemed, and the swarms outnumbered the team still. So she concentrated on taking out a third...

OOC
Charlotte *rolls* 1d20: 16+8: 24 ,,

Toughness save of DC 27 against MO's super-strength.

... swinging down with a haymaker, driving it into a lava man's head.

"Gabriel! Be careful! That thing's tougher than it looks..." She looked around, counting how many were left.

Jael's bite snapped the soldier's leg completely off, causing it to topple backwards onto the ground. Fulcrum's attack left another one a pile of rubble as the power of her mind ground it to gravel. Gabriel's attack pummeled the sodier before him, and Magnum Opus continued her destructive rampage, shattering another soldier.

Further out, The massive beast began to lumber towards them, its mouth open, flames gathering there, its head pointed at Gabe's home. Clearly it would attack, and planned to leave nothing standing where the young metahuman had been raised.

(Jael is up, then Fulcrum and Gabriel)

Archived