Mutants & Masterminds: Heroes United - [Heroes United] Combat thread

Justin OOC

[Heritage] 11:13 am: Gonna do a quick Initiative roll for Slither while I'm in hear
Heritage *rolls* 1d20: 1+6: 7
[Heritage] 11:13 am: hah
[Heritage] 11:14 am: Not so quick now, eh Little MIss Spy?
[Heritage] 11:14 am: Can I get a witness to this crappy roll?
[Long6] 11:18 am: I'm here so it's fine man
[Long6] 11:18 am:
[Heritage] 11:19 am: Good point.

[stargaizer] 10:27 pm: init for Paladin for HU
Stargaizer *rolls* 1d20: 13+2: 15
[stargaizer] 10:28 pm: i think that wins...
[Jordan] 10:28 pm: Jeremy - If you go EP I doubt Tommy will play. He's not into horror styled/themed games.
[Revenant] 10:28 pm: Can you just play a regular human? Looks like everyone is augged.
[stargaizer] 10:29 pm: can someone witness my 15?
[Abyss Phantasia] 10:29 pm: well technically
[Carver] 10:30 pm: SG: Good grief, we're all here and we saw it.

Was MO's initiative the 8 or the 19? If it's the 8 she's in the middle of the pack so far as far as initiative order goes. I only say something because Paladin was going to go over and recreate the material that had been eaten away, and that might change your response. My material can support 25 tons, which can double if I take a turn to shore it up. I think that would more than match the material strength of what was originally there, so neither of us would have to stay there. Of course, he can only make 1000 cuft at a time... hopefully that will be enough to replace what was eaten away.

Of course, he'll probably need MO to use her strength to get the top half back in position before he can fill in what's missing.

Was MO's initiative the 8 or the 19? If it's the 8 she's in the middle of the pack so far as far as initiative order goes. I only say something because Paladin was going to go over and recreate the material that had been eaten away, and that might change your response. My material can support 25 tons, which can double if I take a turn to shore it up. I think that would more than match the material strength of what was originally there, so neither of us would have to stay there. Of course, he can only make 1000 cuft at a time... hopefully that will be enough to replace what was eaten away.

Of course, he'll probably need MO to use her strength to get the top half back in position before he can fill in what's missing.

I think we should wait until everyone is back to straighten this out.

MO is an 8, and like I said, I'm not consistently going to be here so I had her do that ahead of time. Holding up a building struck me as the smartest thing to do considering it requires the least rolls, allows for a more passive role, and isn't a terribly interesting thing to do even though it's 100% necessary, freeing up other people to go dinosaur-punchin'.

If folks want to hold up the building instead of her, they can go ahead. I was just trying to be courteous.

I understand not always being on. But since it's already posted, my post assumes that MO is already holding up the building. I can edit my post if that's a future action, but I suggest we just move on. Subject to ST decision/ruling, if he has anything to say on the matter, of course.

Here are my rolls for attacking the BBEG.

10:45 am: Scout has a +12 attack bonus with his thrown shield, natch. He's going to Defensive Attack for 5, because I get the feeling I do NOT want to get hit by this monster. He's also utilizing the Ricochet

feature on his Thorwn Shield Attack. This should be enough to catch the beast flat footed (if it even has any dodge defense to begin with...). So this attack will be a +7 vs. a Flat Footed Bulette.

quotemyname *rolls* 1d20: 12+7: 19

One: Thankfully I went behind cover.

Two: So glad I invested in a water mode for my flight. :D

Will I still at least have to make a roll for avoiding the water? BTW I will edit my rolls into here, and copy them into the main thread once it's my turn.

Avoiding getting flushed... and failed

[Tommy OOC] 4:41 pm: Reflex roll

[Tommy OOC] 4:42 pm: err dodge roll
[Long6] 4:45 pm: nobody's been caught in it yet Rev
Tommy OOC *rolls* 1d20: 6+10: 16
[Tommy OOC] 4:46 pm: You had to say something...
[Tommy OOC] 4:46 pm: Can I take a fatigue for a re-roll?
[Long6] 4:46 pm: no
[Tommy OOC] 4:47 pm: Well then I fly out on my turn.

I was behind cover, so I don't need a roll for the shrapnel. That and I'll probably be spending my turn flying out of the water (it works under water so :P ).

I'm a bit confused as to where we stand, here. It's my turn, right? This does not include my actions from my last post (passed the dodge check, failed the Toughness by ~3, Moved, and Attacked with a thrown shield)? Or does it?

I don't see any storyteller rolls for the creature resisting the last attack I made on it, so I'm not sure if I damaged it, or if it was impervious, or what happened? That info will affect what I want to do with my turn. Also, MO is stunned, correct? Was she flying at the time? Does she fall to the ground? How far away from her am I?

If you could just give me some updates I should be able to get to posting before 11 tonight (which is about the 24 hour deadline).

Okay, that's fine. I just didn't see any mention of the attack even connect. In the future, for clarity sake, could I request that you post something along the lines of "Scout's attack seemed to bounce off the creature causing no more than a fly's annoyance," or something. I'm not asking to see your rolls, I just want to know, conceptually, if what I'm doing is having any affect. Scout knows he can hit harder than that (he's got power attack, and he's aware he wasn't going all out.) But at this point, I'd think his bigger concern would be an injured teammate.

I'll have a post up in a minute or two.

Scout is going to spend his full turn defending Magnum Opus. He's giving up his chance to attack the creature because he believes helping a teammate is much more important and he's willing to put himself in harm's way to do that. *nudge* *nudge* Hero Point? *nudge* *nudge* :P

Defend says that I make Dodge/Parry checks vs. any attack directed at me until my next turn. They have to meet or beat that check to actually hit me. Seeing as how I'm trying to protect someone, I'll be using Parry, not Dodge. I would hate to step out of the way of an attack only to have it continue on that path and hit her anyway (there's no real precedent for it in the rules, but a crafty ST might pull something like that :P). It should be worth noting that if anything DOES get through, Scout will activate his Interpose ability and take any and all hits for MO that he can this turn.

I'm going to make like 5 or 6 rolls in the chat room and paste them here so that way you've got something to work with if I'm not around.

8:41 am: Making some Defend rolls for my post, Long.

[Long6] 8:42 am: hey

[Long6] 8:42 am: ok

Lets see how bad THIS idea is! There's no data on the presence or absence of knockback on a spaital shockwave, so whether or not this attempted headshot manages to knock the thing over is up to you. And am I reading into this correctly in that Indirect attacks like this one have no attack roll? At first I thought there woudl be a reflex save, but it doesn't mention that either. In either case the smaller burst Gatekeeper is using is only about 2 meters in diameter, as it's meant for single targets.

Lets see how bad THIS idea is! There's no data on the presence or absence of knockback on a spaital shockwave, so whether or not this attempted headshot manages to knock the thing over is up to you. And am I reading into this correctly in that Indirect attacks like this one have no attack roll? At first I thought there woudl be a reflex save, but it doesn't mention that either. In either case the smaller burst Gatekeeper is using is only about 2 meters in diameter, as it's meant for single targets.

Is it a Perception Range attack? Then no, no attack roll and no save. If it's an area attack, then it will have a Dodge roll that has to be made.

An attack with the Indirect extra shouldn't negate the need for an attack roll:

A ranged effect with this modifier can originate from a point other than the user, ignoring cover between the user and the target, such as walls and other intervening barriers, so long as they do not provide cover between the effect’s origin point and the target. An Indirect effect normally originates from a fixed point directed away from you. In some cases, an Indirect effect may count as a surprise attack (see Surprise, page 167).

A note: Indirect is kind of silly on Perception attacks, for the reason that the main reason to get Indirect is to strike targets behind cover or that are otherwise inaccessible.

With Perception, you either already can do that (if you can see the target) or you can't do it even with it (if they are not visible behind cover). So it either doesn't help or is redundant.

I keep thinking I'm playing 2nd edition. I guess being Stunned isn't a thing anymore. One reason Scout was protecting MO was because I thought she was going to be Flat Footed against whatever attack came next. But she's still Dazed, right? Doesn't that mean she can only take a single standard action this turn? Please understand I'm not trying to be a rules nazi here. It's been ages since I actually played this game, and I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding the rules, or make sure I didn't miss a house ruling by Justin, or on the site in general. It should be a moot point, anyway since MO wiffed on those attacks, but it may have affected what she was going to do if she knew she wasn't going to be able to get more than one swing in, and even that would take extra effort. More's the point, Scout can't protect her if she flies away, he doesn't have Leaping :P

Archived