[Numenera] The Nightmare Switch

jameson (ST)

Seshar.  Nestled at the feet of the southernmost tip of the Black Riage and extending out into the beyond Seshar is a dry, arid, and barren land.  Its one notable feature alone redeems the land and makes it habitable to any save the most hardy nomads and abhumans.  Deep wide canals cut unnaturally into the earth of the region by some long forgotten people in an age now past stretch the breadth of the land.  Fed from the Welbyway River descending from the Riage, and traveling eastward all the way to the Sere Marica, the canals provided the land with a reliable source of water where none would otherwise exist.  Scattered along their improbably precise structure small aldeias clustered around claves of unaligned Aeon Priests, and occasional lone villages or small settlements clung to the canal’s edges.  

The town of Tirrum was one such aldeia.  Constructed on the edge of the canals around a cabal of Aeon priests, the town lived off the canal using its water to ensure that it could grow crops in the local soil, trawling fish from it, and using the waterway itself for transport and trade.  Tirrum was larger than many settlements, with eight Aeon priests in its clave, and a population of nearly seven hundred.  The town grew a number of crops, but aside from the food crops that kept the village alive it was the small shrubs that grew bright yellow berries that ensured that Tirrum would stand the test of time.

Jili berries were known throughout the region, and even into the Steadfast, as a curative that was crucial in the preparation of a variety of elixirs and salves.  As a result of the berry, the town turned good business with merchants coming across the wastes and by the canals.  The town prospered, and the people were happy and healthy.

The town’s docks bustled with midday activity as ships loaded and unloaded ware and captains haggled with local jili berry farmers over prices.  The smell of fish tinged the air as well, and the sounds of water lapping against the hulls of boats and the creaking of ropes that tied the vessels to the piers.  On one such pier a man named Deymish tied his ship, the Swift, to the moorings and then disembarked, making his way toward the Aeon priest’s clave.

Through the town market he wound, his eyes searching shops and people alike, he would need to spend time here later to resupply and find crew, but his mission was such that he could not delay in his trip to the clave first.  Within the half hour he was at the clave, and waiting patiently in the courtyard for one of the Aeon priests.  The stone-paved garden had a handful of other people within.  A pair of young women, one of whom seemed to be talking to bit of numenera, a gaudily dressed woman showing signs that Deymish believed marked her as a member, past or present, of the Redfleets, a young man with a quiver on his back but oddly no bow by his side, and a smattering of others.

After a while one of the younger Aeon priests came to meet Deymish, he and the captain spoke in hushed tones and Deymish passed a note to the man, before the priest nodded and hurried inside.  Shortly thereafter the young priest returned with Elder Vannon, one of the senior members of the clave.  Approaching Deymish he spoke, his words loud enough for those nearby to hear, in the quiet of the garden courtyard.  â€œMister Deymish, this news is most grave, and we thank you for bringing it to us from Redstone.  Are you willing to travel back, at greatest haste, to bring the medicinals that our brothers have requested?”

Deymish nodded, “Indeed, I have already agreed to do just that to your brothers and the mayor of Redstone himself.  I came straightaway from the docks, and am prepared to leave as soon as I have crew, cargo, and supply.  Unfortunately my current crew refuses to return to Redstone, given the current situation there.”

The elder priest nodded, “I’m sure I can find someone to bring them down to you at the docks, if you would like the time to resupply and hire on crew.  We shall prepare the medicines immediately and they will be ready for you to load in two hours.”  Deymish nodded, offered a respectful bow to the two priests, and prepared to leave.  

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arisi had heard the call for someone to meet a newcomer in the courtyard. She was still all fading bruises and bruised ego, but as usual curiosity was a far stronger pull than physical discomfort. She set her latest puzzled aside and padded her way out to priests, smiling at the group. "What's going in Redstone, Mister Deymish?"

The girl was slight, lightly colored, and blinked at them in that unsettling way she had. She was cute, but her intensity could often make her socially awkward; one of the younger priests had said (when he thought she was asleep) that he felt like she was dissecting him and finding him wanting for lack of not being a numenera any time she asked him a question. She tried to make all her conversation with him statements now, hopeful it would make him feel better.

"I've never been to Redstone," she added, tapping her lip thoughtfully at the admission.

Vannon smiled faintly, almost as though he'd planned on the curious young nano being within earshot. For his part Deymish looked at Arisi up and down, for a moment, "The clave in Redstone dispatched me here for some of the jili berry preparations that your clave here creates." Deymish was a large man, broad of chest, clad in loose pants and tall boots with a tight shirt of woven synth fabric. His accent suggested he was not from Seshar, and those familiar with the Steadfast would recognize that he likely hailed from the Sea Kingdom of Ghan far to the west and north.

Vannon nodded, "It would seem that Redstone has been beset by some kind of sickness that is giving the entire town nightmares." He waved the parchment in his hand absentmindedly, "They are hoping that some fresh jili berry preparations will prove a useful component in finding a cure." The healing properties of jili berries were known far and wide, such that Arisi had been familiar even had she never encountered them in their fresh forms as grown and harvested in Tirrum.

"They and Redstone's mayor made it well worth my while to make speed here and back to assure as little delay as possible," Deymish added. "I need now only resupply and find a crew willing to return with me to Redstone. Those who sailed out with me refuse to return." He glanced at Vannon, who nodded almost imperceptibly. "I could offer any who can crew for me, three shins a day fair wage, but only once we reach Redstone and I get paid," he said finally.

2m3feo5.jpg

"Nightmares?" asks a voice from behind Arisi jovially. "A sickness that gives people bad dreams? If only every sickness was just that!"

Raiche had strolled up behind Arisi...she'd been the nano's shadow ever since their arrangement had been made. Evidently she took her side of the bargain very seriously, though from her cocky grin, it might be all she did take that way. She was older looking than Arisi, if perhaps not by a great deal; a woman in her early to mid twenties, with a muscular, athletic build. Her blonde hair was perhaps shoulder length, but gathered back into a short ponytail. She was wearing the thin cotton shirt she wore under her armor, that clung rather tightly to her torso, and slightly baggy trousers that were held up by a cord tied around her waist. Her spear and crossbow were back over where she'd been sitting, but a dagger was strapped to a bracer that wrapped around her left wrist; its blade retracted for the moment.

She looked perfectly normal...a healthy, attractive woman. Arisi could feel the hum of numenera from her though. Not in her possession, but in her. Throughout her. Under her skin, in her bones, in her brain. She was like a little constellation full of stars, or a dark room full of people speaking only in whispers.

"Doesn't sound so bad," she concludes with a nod. "I've had a bad dream here and there. I can struggle through a few more."

Korch spoke up, "Don't underestimate the power of a nightmare. Your mind knows your greatest fears that you would not even admit to yourself. Give that power to a numenera and watch the bravest, strongest warrior be dropped like a sailor five pints into the night...believe me, I know."

The man that said he knew stood up from the bench he was sitting on, revealing a lithe frame bound in muscle of average height. He had mousy short-cut brown hair and eyes to match, though his gaze revealed a great weight that seemed to haunt him. His very basic clothing was rumpled and worn in areas that said it was used to being covered in armor. Tan lines lent this more credence, thought it was also possible he had banded stripes.

"Please...be wary of the foes you cannot touch." He lifted a well-used pack from the ground beside the bench and started to worm through it, pulling out pieces of what, at one time, may have been a crossbow.

Raiche gave the guy a grin and shrugged.

"Foes I can't touch are her problem," she said, nodding at Arisi. "I take care of the more touchable stuff. Speaking of which..."

Her hand popped out, ready to shake.

"Raiche." She pronounced it like the first syllable of 'Rachel.' "Good to meet you."

He set the pieces of former weaponry down and wiped his hand along his pants before taking the offered hand, "I am Korch. The pleasure is all mine." he said, nodding and giving an awkward, though not forced, smile. His grip was firm and carried strength, but not forceful and his hand was extremely calloused.

Korch duplicated the smile towards Arisi and nodded at Deymish. "It is good to have someone to depend on in these times. They would seem to make good crew for you, Captain."

"A sail? A sail? Bless mine ears a hundred times that they do not deceive me."

The flamboyantly dressed woman looked as if a peacock exploded. She had been contenting herself with peeling an apple with her thinblade, but upon hearing of the Aeon Priest's request, she all but leapt up from her table, sheathing her sword as she approached, doffing her elaborate feathered hat and bowing.

"Today you have the immaculate pleasure and indescribably good fortune that a sailing lass such as I, skilled in the high seas, quick of wit and blade, blessed with numenera that allows me to breathe of the ocean itself! - has heard your call, and responded. My name is Alice Chalk, and if it floats, I am its mistress." She replaced and straightened her hat. "There is nothing in Redstone that would set my knees a'knocking, if that's your worry."

"I figured you for a member of the Redfleets when I saw the breather," Heymish said, "and I welcome an experienced sailor to help at the helm." He looked at the others, hooking his thumbs into the loops at the the waist of his loose pants, "Well, if you want come I need a crew and I won't say no, but like the lad said, it's not what's in Redstone that you need to fear, it's what lies in the lands of dreams. Even the Aeon priests seemed to be suffering under its weight, but they need this medicine, or so they thought three days ago, and so I'm going back."

He nodded to elder Vannon, "I will leave you to prepare the medicines, and go to get my ship supplied." Looking at the others he added, "You have some time, so if you have needs visit the markets now, we will be non-stop for Redstone once we leave. My ship is the Swift, docked on the long pier. I will see you, and my cargo, when you deliver it. Now, if you have no questions, I have supplies to buy."

Arisi nodded absently to Deymish, her attention caught by the puzzle of Korch's broken crossbow. She whispered something and the small silver ball of numenera she had been playing with a few minutes before sprouted four tiny talon-legs and quickly scampered over from the bench to the gathering of people. It darted between legs and sprouted two sets of talon-arms, tapping inquisitively on each of the pieces of the broken crossbow. Arisi knelt down, watching the creature-like numenera scamper back and forth between the fragments and nudge them into place, even lifting pieces to set them below or on top of other pieces. Once it had reassembled the weapon as well as it could, it ran to a spot between the crossbow and Arisi, tapping its "hands" together like a child clapping for a job well done.

"Well, yes," Arisi murmured to it, "but it still doesn't work."

The numerera stopped clapping and raced back to the crossbow. It circled it several times, again tapping here and there, then finally came to a stop at the largest missing piece of wood. The legs and arms retracted until it was a ball again; then it rolled gently up to the crossbow and bumped into it. Silver flowed over the fractured wood, filling in the cracks and crannies created by the missing splinters with liquid metal. The wood and fastenings of the crossbow pulled tighter together, becoming once again a weapon instead of a ruin. It set after a moment, the bright shine of the former numenera quickly dulling to a dusky grey. The weapon looked odd now - marbled now with wood, forged metal, and the 'glue' of the numenera - and certainly unique; all that was missing was a strong cord to make the crossbow once again quite deadly.

Arisi clapped her hands together and grinned, picking up the weapon. "Here," she bubbled, holding the crossbow out to Korch. "We fixed it!" The flaxen-haired girl seemed imminently pleased with herself and whomever else she meant by 'we'.

Raiche's smile broadened at the sight of Alice, and she actually burst into a delighted peal of laughter at the other woman's antics, and applauded.

"That was great! I don't know if you're an entertainer or a warrior...but if you're as good at the latter as you are the former, then we'll have nothing to worry about at all!"

She gives Korch and his newly-repaired crossbow a nod and a wink.

"Not that we do regardless. But still! The more the merrier! Lets see how many people will fit on this thing."

The woman was showy, he had to give her that. Alice's body had moved with a grace that let him know she probably knew how to use the sword she flashed. She was overly-eager to hit the water, but that came as no surprise.

Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.

Korch turned and watched the reparation inquisitively. He was no stranger to the wonders of numenera, however this little gremlin was amazing. As the seams had filled in and his once prized possession became whole again, a smile spread wide across his face. It faltered when he saw the small creature's luster fade, "A precious gift you have bestowed upon me, Arisi" Korch said as he took the crossbow, "This had been given to me by my Father in happier times. Yet...I do not have the shins to repay you for your creature's sacrifice. If you will have me, I would accompany you on your voyage to repay my debt. In time, we may find our relationship mutually beneficial."

"The land of dreams? Ha!" Alice flicks a lock of hair over her shoulder. "Each night anew, barring too many stimulants, I pass into the land of dreams and spin away each morning intact and unscathed. What manner of woman would I be, if mere dreams frightened me? No, the land of dreams is no obstacle to me. I am prepared to meet its challenges head on."

Some hours later...

The Swift was a triple hulled triple sailed vessel. The main hull was stabilized by a pair of outriggers allowing for a very shallow draft. Deymish was securing bundles of food and other supplies when the small group arrived from the clave, each carrying a box packed with the medicines requested by the Redstone aeon priests. "Excellent, I was just finishing with the supplies," Deymish said, looking up from the knot he finished without looking. "Come aboard, time is wasting. You can secure the cargo in the forward hold-space. Alice, if you don't mind setting the rigging I'd like to depart immediately.

The rigging had been well secured prior, the orange sails carefully folded and lashed down. Alice had little difficulty in losing the knots and freeing the sails as Deymish asked. The captain himself moved to untie the little ship from the dock as soon as all were aboard before taking the rudder and guiding the craft out and into the main body of the canal. The smooth current of the canal, combined with the design of the boat ensured that the boat was extremely steady despite the speed it quickly gained as it left Tirrum behind. Soon the cargo was secure, the sails set, and things calmed down as their journey began.

Arisi stood in the center of the ship as the sails were released, closing her eyes and listening to the snap of the cloth as the wind caught it and small craft pulled smoothly into the water. In truth, despite her years of travel, she'd rarely been on a ship. The feel of the deck, the smell of fish and salt and oil cloth was all mostly new and she took it in with that same innocent-and-curious intensity that had earned her the moniker "Kitty" in the small speck of a village that she'd been born in. She hadn't much thought of home in a while; as they drifted through the traffic coming to and from Tirrum on the canals, she found a scrap of deck that seemed out of the way of Alice and Daymish.

She watched them handle the ship, her mind drifting over the past as she took in the now. She tried to remember all the names and faces from home, starting with her family and moving from house to house in her childhood. She'd forgotten more people this time, she knew, but that was bound to happen. She wondered if some day the whole little community would disappear in her mind. Would that mean that it had disappeared in the world as well? She'd seen enough strange things in her short years of adventuring to give it serious consideration for a few minutes, the shrugged. There was only one thing she could really do to change that if it was true, and she wasn't ready to go home yet. She might never or she might make a new home; the village would simply have to find another way to continue to be if her memories of it were what kept it anchored to the rest of everywhere.

Her quiet musings brought to a conclusion, she pattered her way over to her new companions, reciting their names in her mind as she learned their faces and mannerism. "It's quiet," she pointed out conversationally, smiling in a way that definitely minded one of a kitten with a new toys to play with. "Does anyone have a story to tell? Or a song to sing?"

"A song? To sing? Ha, ♪♫ a'one, ♪♫ and a'two, ♫♪ and a - ♪♫"

Alice, still dangling from the rigging, launched into a song that was lilting and inspiring - until Arisi realized that it was about all the many gentlemen callers of a young barmaid named Mary who would ever wait in vain, because the Redfleets had killed all of them.

"♪♫ John was fed to fishes ♪♫ Frank was blown apart ♫♪ Henry has no legs left ♫♪ Max can't find his arse ♪♫ Oh poor little Mary, she will ever wait in vain... ♪♫"

Alice conducted an imaginary orchestra with her free hand.

The remainder of the day and the first evening passed without indecent. Deymish manned the ship's rudder halfway through the night before giver her over to Alice till daybreak. Running continuously ensure that they would cover the distance as quickly as possible and the deep canals, with their steep high walls, helps to ensure there was always a wind by catching the air off the wastelands and funneling it.

Late the following day as they turned into the wind and made slow progress north they encountered a flock of creatures soaring through the canyon. The colorful creatures looked part bird and part lizard, with brightly colored membranes instead of feathered limbs, but also fine color flowers over their bodies. The creatures turned as one and immediately made for the small craft

"Hold on!" Deymish yelled as the group swarmed the boat, buffeting it, and making it rock as their bodies bumped into the sails, while others screeched and dove toward the passengers. His warning came late however, and Raiche, leaning over the port rail, tumbled into the waters below.

GM Intervention
Smax, you get 1 EXP for yourself, and one to hand out. Normally you'd be given the option to pay me 1 EXP to reject but since you are running dry at the moment ... muwhahaha.

You've been tossed into the drink and are beset by the water creatures. You will need to make a might check to keep your head above water with a difficulty of 4 (TN 12). If you fail you will take 2 damage to your might pool that is not soaked by armor. ,,

If you make your check you can use your next action to move to the boat and climb in, otherwise you will need to spend your next action trying to get your head above water, with the same difficulty and consequences.

All of you need to make a Difficulty 2 (TN 6) initiative check as well (that is a speed task). If you succeed on this you go before the creatures, if you fail you go after them. Any questions feel free to ask in the OOC thread.

gallery_500_59_50402.jpg

With a startled yelp, Raiche pitched over the rail and plumeted into the drink! To her immediate dismay, she found the hard way that her body was not as buoyant as it once had been. Fortunately it was quite a bit stronger. One of her flailing hands slapped into the hull of the ship as she fell through the water, and by sheer instinct and reflex, she managed to dig her fingers into the planking...crushing some wood there enough to get just enough of a grip to arrest her motion.

Lungs burning already, she kicked her feet furiously and managed to get her other hand anchored. Then up. And up.

She gasped a frantic chestfull of air the instant her face broke the waves, then paused a second to peer up at the monsters wheeling above them.

Crossbow. It's over by my spear, on deck.

"Someone throw me a rope!" she shouted, but didn't wait for it before starting to climb up onto the stern of the ship.

(Might check 12. Init task 13.)

[salmonMax] 6:46 pm: Hm. Effort seems silly actually. If I use it, I take damage even if I win the roll.

[salmonMax] 6:47 pm: So okay, unmodded roll. If it's a defense roll, she's trained...otherwise...not.
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 12: 12
[salmonMax] 6:47 pm: Hurrah!
[salmonMax] 6:47 pm: Then some speedificus
[Jeremy] 6:47 pm: Heh
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 13: 13

Arisi was looking for rope as well, ducking between the pretty birds as they swooped and screeched at them all. "We're not fish!" she yelled indignantly at the birds. "Go find rainbow fish to eat!"

Mechanics
Initiative Roll:
Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 20: 20

Looking for rope/assisting Alice - I'm not exactly sure how that works, so I'm rolling a d20 and trusting Jim to tell me if I need to do anything else.
Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 11: 11

Korch had been watching the creatures as they came closer, at first assuming they were seagulls or similar.

I do not like how big those things are.

He continued to watch as they approached, but before he could react further, they were on top of the group. Korch dove, briefly feeling the beating of leathery wings on his back at the same time he heard a splash. He quickly stood and readied his daggers, not wanting to lose any ammunition to the water.

As another one of the creatures flew near Korch he slashed and stabbed at the wings, guessing that the creature bound to the deck would be much easier to dispatch.

Numbers

Speed
[Jeremy] 2:32 pm: lol
[Forge] 2:32 pm: very
Forge *rolls* 1d20: 13: 13

Attack (Speed)

Welcome! You have entered [Lobby] at 1:43 am

[Lobby]: Forge has entered at 1:43 am
/backtime 5
[Forge] 1:43 am: There is no one here to witness this
[Forge] 1:43 am: however, I don't cheat
Forge *rolls* 1d20: 15: 15

Korch slashed out with his blades, piercing leathery flesh between outstretched bone. A screech of pain was immediately followed by a thud as the creature slammed into the decking, its bloody wing no longer able to support flight.

Meanwhile Alice and Arisi scrambled to the gunwales, each armed with a length of rope to help Raiche with. Seeing the other, and seeing Riache's tenuous grasp on the boat they dropped the rope entirely and working together hauled the sopping wet, and surprisingly heavy, girl from the drink to land together in a sprawled tangle on the decking below.

Above the lizard birds wheeled and dove, splitting into two pairs, each making for the two groups. The first pair streaked for Korch and Deymish, raking the pair with hooked talons. The second swooped in low, drawing bloody furrows in the flesh of Alice and Raiche.

,, ,,
Combat suff
5 bird-things
one has been stabbed for 2 damage ,,

Birds are attacking Korch, Alice, and Raiche - Difficulty 2 defense (TN 6) needed.

Damage is 2 for failed checks

His eyes focused on the downed prey, Korch did not see the one that swooped down and raked its talons across his unprotected scalp. Korch let a cry that was equal parts frustration, surprise and pain. Adrenaline pumping, he wildy slashed at the one that assaulted him. Korch missed terribly as blood began running down his face.

Numbers

Defense - Speed
Forge *rolls* 1d20: 3: 3
[Forge] 11:57 pm: ick

Attack - Speed
Forge *rolls* 1d20: 1: 1
[Forge] 11:57 pm: o ffs
[Forge] 11:57 pm: *sigh*

2 Might Damage Taken - GM Intrusion Pending

"Hoo...thanks!" Raiche says gratefully, the effect somewhat spoiled when she blurts, "Crap!" on seeing the bird-things diving in. She jumps to her feet...no time to go for the spear or crossbow. Fortunately, she still has her bracer-dagger on. A twist of her wrist unlocks it, letting the spring-blade pop out to extend several inches ahead of her fist. As the bird hurtles towards her, she essentially punches it as she turns aside, letting its body whicker past and plunk into the water.

She doesn't waste time with quips after that, but goes straight for her larger, meaner weapons where they're half-buried under a pile of rigging or rope or something that fell on them when the boat listed.

[salmonMax] 12:47 am: Defense and attaaaaack

SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 6: 6
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 8: 8
[salmonMax] 12:47 am: Keen

Arisi started at Korch's cry and swung around in his direction. Her eyes widened at the sight of the blood, then narrowed. "Hey," she screamed at the birds, "I just fixed his stuff! Get away!" She pulled out a small dagger, as much suited to carving up dinner as it was to serious combat, and lunged at the offending waterfowl.

Attack!
I'm not sure if this is a Speed or Might action, but here's the roll:

Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 7: 7

Korch's attack missed, and the sudden flurry of activity, people lunging about attacking the birds, sent him reeling, off balance and over-extended. His knees hit the gunwales and, as the boat rocked, Korch felt himself tip from balanced to falling. With barely a moment to react he tumbled over and into the water with a splash. The others maintained their footing however, and their aim stayed true, slashing with blades and drawing both azure blood and cries of pain from the attacking birds, sending them soaring once more as they wheeled around for another pass at those in the boat. Talons slashing at Deymish, Arisi, Raiche, and Alice as the small flock once more dive bombed the boat's crew.

combat stuff
5 bird-things
one has been stabbed for 2 damage (stuck on deck)
three others wounded but still flying

Birds are attacking Arisi, Alice, and Raiche - Difficulty 2 defense (TN 6) needed.
Damage is 2 for failed checks

Korch needs to make a Difficulty 4 (TN 12) might check to swim or take 2 might damage w/o armor

Korch kicked with all his might and was gasping as he managed to get his face above the surface. It took all of his willpower not to drop his punching dagger. The curses that had been running through his head for not wearing his armor on the boat now turned to silent prayers of thanks.

He made a quick couple strokes to the side to get a hold of the hull, not wanting the craft to drift away while he figured out how to get back on board.

Probably not a good idea to use the blades.

Numbers
I told myself I was spending effort to reduce the diff to 3, even though it wasn't needed.

Just keep swimming...!

Forge *rolls* 1d20: 16: 16

Might: 9 of 13

-2 dmg

-2 effort

"Help him back onboard!" Raiche said to Arisi as she tracked the incoming birds. "I'll cover you!"

She grabbed her crossbow off the deck just long enough to snap off the bolt that was already loaded at the oncoming terrorbirds, then dropped it again and snatched up her spear. With a cry, and deftly avoiding a dive from one of them, she threw herself between the birds attacking Arisi and the young nano herself, spear poised like a baseball bat to swat any birds aside!

(OOC - Rolled 8 to attack and 20 for defense. If Arisi fails her defense, could I use mine to protect her instead? Not exactly in the rules, I admit. :()

[salmonMax] 9:22 pm: Numenrolla...

SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 8: 8
SalmonMax *rolls* 1d20: 20: 20
[salmonMax] 9:22 pm: Hehe.

Arisi ducked and wove between the splash-birds (as she'd personally dubbed them for knocking two of her new friends off the boat - and they look liked someone had splashed paint on them before tossing them out into the world to pester perfectly innocent watercraft), scooping up the rope abandoned from the first of the crew to drop into the water and dangled it over the edge for Korch.

"Thanks!" she called back to Raiche as she braced herself against the gunwhale so she didn't get pulled over by Korch's weight when he (hopefully) grabbed on.

,, ,,
Mechanics
Dodging!
Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 20: 20

Getting Korch a rope!
Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 10: 10

Arisi quickly scrambled for a line tossing it to Korch and hauling it in with her full body weight helping to pull Korch in from the water. Raiche and Alice both struck true as the birds were dive-bombing them, scoring a pair of hits and eliciting further screeches of pain from the flying creatures. Once more the flock soared upward, wheeling into the sky before arcing downward once again. This time however the flock's tactics changed, the group of them made for Raiche, drawn by her yells and shouts, they attacked her en masse talons seeking out flesh, beaks stabbing for eyes and other soft spots.

combat stuff
5 bird-things
one has been stabbed for 2 damage (stuck on deck)
three others wounded but still flying (2 damage)

one badly wounded (4 damage)

Birds are attacking Raiche as a group - Difficulty 4 defense (TN 12) needed.

Damage is 4 for failed check

Raiche's eyes widen as the flock comes in on her as one. "Okay, I guess that worked!"

She twirls her spear around and impales one of the birds on it as it dives in, then SPRINTS down the length of the boat and tucks into a forward roll that forces most of the flock to pull up or risk slamming into the deck in their urge to feast on her tender meats.

"Come on!" the feisty jack shouted at the bird-monsters as they wheeled about and started coming in for another pass. "Is that the best you've got?!"

(Attack 8, defense 19.)

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4307410/

Bracing his feet as best he could on the slick hull, Korch used the rope to haul himself back onto the deck. He quickly surveyed the boat, his eyes assessing the women for injuries before he placed himself as best he could between the creatures and Arisi. The other two women obviously had some training in combat, however Korch feared that Arisi wouldn't be good for much beside screaming and flailing should the flying predators choose to turn their talons on the young woman.

,, ,,
Numbers
If needed to climb aboard. Assumed success.

Forge *rolls* 1d20: 14: 14

Arisi mostly just hung on as Korch pulled himself back on board, acting as an anchor for the rope. Once they two of them were back to relative safety, she untangled herself from the rope and headed towards Raiche. She took a stab at one of the outer birds of the swarm, doing her best to be a part of the solution to the splash-bird attack instead of merely an easy target for their arial foes.

It was, at best, a cute attempt.

Mechanics
Malachite *rolls* 1d20: 3: 3 ,,

Derp! :P

The incoming birds found themselves once more greeted by steel and this time their numbers suffered for it. Raiche's spear took one of the creatures through the breast, while Alice's blade flicked out with the speed of a serpent and slashed the head clean off of another. The remaining mobile birds wheeled once more and retreated, beaten off by the superior strength of arms of the boat's crew. That left only the one remaining creature unable to fly, clearly not suited to the ground (given the shape of its body and the location of its stubby legs), flailing on the deck of the ship, it's wing trailing blood.

"Well done," said Deymish, still at the rudder, "those damn birds probably smelled the jili berries, better check to see if one of the crates is leaking or we might see more of them." He looked at the wounded animal on his ship, "Somebody should toss that thing into the water, they swim well enough, at least it'll stand a chance."

Deymish's statement let Korch know the captain was familiar with the bird-like creatures and his calm demeanor visibly relaxed Korch's tense stance. If the captain wasn't worried about them returning immediately, then he could tend to his injuries.

Korch grabbed his spare clean shirt and held it to his head as he walked up to the wounded creature, his steps squishing and squelching as he went. "The captain would have me toss you overboard and let you fend for yourself. I fear this would be a cruel death."

The creature struggled, its movement split between fleeing or preparing to defend itself. Korch took a quick couple steps back to his bag and pulled out some of the dried meat from his older rations. It was tough as nails, but still good and he could not bear to waste it.

With talons that large, I doubt they only eat berries.

He ripped a small piece off and tossed it near the bird, which flinched at first. But it then nudged the food in curiosity with its beak. "I could knock you clean out to sew your wing, however I would prefer something less violent. My own head does not appear to warrant a needle's attention, thankfully." Korch tried to keep his voice calm and soothing as he spoke.

He let the prismatic avian consider its actions as much as it could as he stripped down to his underclothes and laid out the soaked clothing to dry. He did his best to ignore the fact that three young women were the larger portion of his audience, but could not help himself from blushing as he pulled on his spare clothes, including the now bloodied shirt.

Arisi giggled at Raiche's antics, her eyes bright and following Korch's movements as he put himself in drier clothes and tended to the wounded splash-bird.

Splash-bird-fish, she amended mentally, as the captain had said they could swim too. That seemed a little unfair, to fly and swim, but then Arisi hadn't made the rules of the splash-bird-fish. Just the name.

She found her own bags and rummaged through for Stitch, pulling out the small disk-shaped device. While Korch soothed the splash-bird on the deck, Arisi ran Stitch over his sodden clothes; the small rips and tears and bits of blood disappeared under the white glow Stitch gave off. It was one of her favorite little friends, very useful if not so powerful like others could be and it hummed so happily when it had work to do.

"Are you gonna keep it as a pet?" she asked Korch curiously from crouching over his clothes.

Note
'Stitch' is just one of the numenera Arisi uses for her "hedge magic", unless I'm misunderstanding how that goes and she somehow actually does mystical magic-y stuff with that Esoterie.

Jim, please correct me if I have misunderstood. :)

Archived