Mutants & Masterminds: Heroes United - [Heroes United] Issue 1: Some Assembly Required

Justin OOC

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plan seems to be, wall 'em in and either fight them or dump water on them or let MO try to talk to them just before doing one of/both of those two things. Secondary plan involves damage control and helping civvies get clear and stay safe.

:)

"Okay, here's what I propose."

Magnum Opus turned to the others. "What I'm going to do is head in first. I'm probably the most shockproof out of all of us. I'm going to try and talk to them - right now we don't know how many there are and we don't know where they come from or what they want. If they surrender, great - if not, if any of them raise a fist against me or anyone else after we've given them a chance to surrender, we put them down for the count.

"Slither, they had to come from somewhere and they have to have some physiological properties we don't quite understand yet. Do recon of the area and relay what you figure out. Northlight, Paladin, you're probably the fastest fliers we've got. Use that - help give us an airborne idea of where we need to go and on what we need to concentrate. Fulcrum, Gatekeeper, you've got the abilities that can move the most people - lifting buses, opening portals, things like that. Help evacuate the area. Scout, you and I will run defense - get them to hit us first and other people second. If any of us finds out anything that can give us a hint as to how to stop them or why they're hear, relay it to the others.

"This sound good to anyone? Tell me if I'm wrong. Oh, right. We need comms. I don't think my Nokia's going to suffice."

"Oh, uh, yeah. I don't even have my phone actually. Shit, never had to work with anyone else before. Also, I'll try and get people out sure, but if you're going to talk...do it fast, because if I see one of those things about to kill someone I'm not going to wait for UN sanctions."

Andery nodded, going over to a section of the wall. He pressed several buttons and the panel slid up, and he returned with a tray, atop it were earbuds like his own. "These are all tuned to a special channel at the moment that is secure and private. They will keep you in touch with each other anywhere in North America. They are also networked into here, so that we have your position, and can relay up to the minute information to you from anything we see."

Grabbing one of the earbuds, Gatekeeper spoke up with, "OK, so I just focus on getting people away from the problem? That sounds manageable to me." He turned to Paladin, can you materialize the mask I showed you before we go? No sense in rushing out there only to reveal my identity to the whole city." He then began to concentrate on the various locations presented by their information feeds.

"So we got a central location we're going to counterattack from? I could send you all to specific points, but that takes more time to recover from."

Rachael takes her earbud then opens her "bubble" helmet to put it on. There is a momentary rush of environmentally controlled air, until she closes it again. "Alright... at least we can set up some communication. For my recon, I can check for and note where any bystanders may be isolated, or potentially surrounded. Also when needed I can relay where any wounded are."

"That and we should note where any first responders are, either in distress or holding their own. They take priority... well, over knocking these... things the hell out."

She sighed. "I really should look into better thermal resistance for my suit... still trying to find a gel that doesn't have detrimental thermal expansion." She said shaking her head. "I'm also not liking the fact we'll be shoving these things into the pond. You know what happens when Lava hits Water, right? Now, consider their number."

Rachael had a point, When Lava hits water, it discharges a poisonous concoction of gasses. While Rachael in her suit and some of the others might be immune, the city wasn't.

"Just because they look like lava doesn't necessarily mean they are," Fulcum snarled. "We can sit here all day imagining problems instead of doing something, but until we get there and figure this thing out..."

She seemed to run out of steam at that point and just gestured at Gatekeeper.

"Would you just get us there?"

"I know they're attacking, and yes, you absolutely defend someone if they're under attack. But I have to try to reason with them. They might stand down if they're given a chance and they see us. It'd solve the problem a lot faster than a fight - or, if there's more where they came from, a war. Thank you, Andrey." She accepted the earbud, squishing it into her ear.

"And yes, good point about the gases, which is why I think we contain them whilst trying to figure out more about them. Paladin, Northlight, if you get the opportunity to do so - or if you get any good intel from Slither - please let us all know. That goes for anyone else. Any advantage is a good one."

Slither nodded once she received her orders and accepted the earbud without comment; she was used to following orders and felt confident in her ability to do her assigned duty. "Ready to go; I'll ghost out as soon as we're in the field. You won't see me, but I'll be your ears just the same."

The Paladin nodded at MO. "I'll fly recon, but I'll do it while I'm creating containment. That's my first priority, making sure this doesn't spread." After he had said that, he went over to Gatekeeper, got his attention, then ran his palm down across his face. As he did, he transformed the air next to his skin into a lightweight, flexible mask that covered his entire face and smoothed out the features. He then created what would probably prove to be a superfluous strap around the back of his head to keep the perfectly fitting mask on his face.

That done, he went over and grabbed an earbud, and after looking at it for a moment created a curtain of what amounted to frosted shower glass around his head and torso. It moved around a little bit before it disappeared and everything appeared as it did before. "Testing, testing, ok, guess it works." came across the earbuds in an unfamiliar voice. Opposed to the somewhat rough, mechanical sound that his suit had, this voice was the crisp, clear, and surprisingly smooth male voice from inside the helmet.

Then the voices came simultaneously from his suit and the earbuds. "Ok, we got a plan, we got communications, now lets get our butts out there and save some people. Lives are at stake here!" The passion and frustration that came across the earbuds was unmistakable. It was clear that he cared more for those poor people stuck out there than he did for his own safety... where the rest of his team ranked in that mix was a bit more unclear though.

Rachael nodded. "Right, I'm not all dressed for a science fiction convention. Let's save some people!" She said, clapping her hands together. "You know, even if MO manages to negotiate some sort of truce... those lava people will have a lot of explaining to do in the regards of who they have already killed."

Rachael's tone had gotten more serious. "To be honest, we're looking at a war we're either trying to stop, or trying to win. Let's hope for the prior and not the latter."

Scout was a good soldier, and good soldiers took orders. He bit his tongue, while the others talked and hashed out a plan. He was ready to go as soon as Andrey told them there was a problem, but as a trained sniper, he knew that he'd accomplish nothing without support, so he waited.

He received his ear bud and equipped it, testing the connection like, Paladin did.

MO was the first to issue any solid commands.

"Slither, they had to come from somewhere and they have to have some physiological properties we don't quite understand yet. Do recon of the area and relay what you figure out. Northlight, Paladin, you're probably the fastest fliers we've got. Use that - help give us an airborne idea of where we need to go and on what we need to concentrate. Fulcrum, Gatekeeper, you've got the abilities that can move the most people - lifting buses, opening portals, things like that. Help evacuate the area. Scout, you and I will run defense - get them to hit us first and other people second. If any of us finds out anything that can give us a hint as to how to stop them or why they're hear, relay it to the others.

"Yes Ma'am," Scout responded with a nod and a salute. He placed his hand on Gatekeeper's shoulder, "When they say the word, get me out there as close to any endangered civilians you can." Scout drew his old service sidearm from one of the pockets in his bag. "Hopefully I won't need this, but every good boy scout knows to be prepared."

When the gate opened, Everyone save Andery quickly went through, and he went and sat at one of the consoles in the center of the room. "That leaves me to coordinate them. I hope they do well, as I cannot see the outcome." That worried him, but even so he resolved that he'd made the correct choice. They'd be able to recognize that Jael was an ally, She knew enough to establish a link. Sadly she'd not have a commlink, but he resolved to get her one before the day was done.

"Now, all of you, Take that first step together, from the shadows..."

****** End Issue 1*******

Archived