Mutants & Masterminds:Anyone Interested In A Supers Game?

Justin OOC

I'm Talking about something on the scale of The Avengers here, based most likely out of New York City, at about PL 10. I'm looking for a group of 4-6 players, though I can accommodate more.

Something I'll be upfront on. I am going to ask for 2 posts a week, if possible, but I will need at least 1 a week, unless there's some RL reason you've notified me about that prevents you from this. I will guarantee ST updates every friday, as it is my regular day off, though other updates may occur during the week, if the story merits them. If for some reason I am unable to post, I will let you all know.

As far as base setting, I'm envisioning the modern world as it is, with the same political figures, same technological level. Superhumans are extremely new on this world, and not always good. The Team will consist of heroes who've had their powers for less than 2 years. I'm not outright disallowing anything, save jack of all trades+ Eidetic memory (You can have one or the other, not both), but I reserve the right to say no to anything I don't feel fits what I want for this game. The Power Level for this game will be PL 10 to start, advancing as I see fit.

This will be OUR story in the end, I'm just going to be the one trying to herd the cats guiding us through it together.

soooooooooooooo anyone interested?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Max, if you can make it work within the two years since the emergence of supers, I'm willing to hear it. Extra terrestrials and Magic do exist. As to why it seems the "Superpowers work" switch was turned on two years ago, Something did happen, but no one knows exactly what that something was, only that the things of myth, legend, fantasy, and comic books are now actually within the realm of possibility, and even probability.

Okay, but things like aliens and magic are not necessarily in the public eye yet? Or are there publically known supers of those variations currently known to exist?

And what kinds of explanations are rumored on the streets? Or can we just make that up as flavor dictates? :)

If there's an alien, they've not said so. Most all those with superpowers look human. Those that do not, so far, have manifested their powers in front of others, going from human to their superpowered form.. The reason behind the powers suddenly appearing span just about everything. Divine/Demonic favor, Aliens, The world coming to life, an ancient spell activating, cosmic rays causing mutation, science gone wrong, a mutagenic virus..... it's all out there...

Hi, I'm a new poster though I've been scouring your forums for a while now (your collective discourse on Aberrant has been most helpful btw..). Here's a blizzard of questions:

What do you require as far as a character submission? Do you want us to submit a short backstory?

I gather we're using the M&M system, so are we using the standard build points amount?

Are we allowed to build in our own disadvantages or should we check with you first? (i.e. is there any disadvantage you DON'T want us to take?)

What age range should these characters be in?

Will these characters all know each other prior or will we meet each other IC?

For setting:

As supers are "extremely new", have they been treated to the usual media-blitz effect? Essentially, does everyone in the world know they exist thanks to the pervasiveness of the internet? And if so, how many personalities are well-known?

You mentioned that not all supers are good, so are there many examples of bad? Do we have to work against a negative stigma resultant from how many more malign supers there are (a la the marvel comics "mutant menace")?

The character I'd be most likely to use would be a version of Gossamer, the prehensile hair gal (think Medusa from Marvel) I used to play on another site. She's smart but not super-genius, has lots of money and connections and a chemistry/medical background. But I can always come up with something else if you guys want.

Glad to see there's some interest, thanks for that.

darksol- I'll answer as best I can

1) I require a sheet and background. I will award up to 3 PP for well written backgrounds. The more solid hooks you give me, the more options I have to tailor the story for the group, and individual characters.

2) Write them up as you would, but I likely will have questions regarding how it will come into play, be prepared to answer those questions and we should be good to go.

3) Any age over eighteen and under fifty years of age.

4) Unless you specifically decide you will know each other beforehand, then no, you will not, nor or required to know the other characters. You would, however, likely know of them, at least in rumor and heresay.

5) Supers are well-known, but are capable of secret identies. The governments of the world aren't exposing them, despite their heroism being vigilantism at this point. I'd say there's likely about 10 Supers with enough exposure that they'd be widely known, with actual global opinions on them. Half of that number are heroes, half villains. Now this is the global number, estimates run as high as five thousand supers on Earth within two years, though most do not possess great flashy powers, and have at best a local range of recognition.

6) As stated, there are "Villains" in the world, most are small time, but some have grandiose dreams and plans, and the power to back it up, were it not for heroes like the PCs who block their path.

I will write up the setting abit more indepth, as I am able, but work has decided i need to work 14+ hour days again, so it may wait until Thursday when I'm off.

It won't be true 4-color, but I don't plan on this game being too dark either. Submit what you want to play, and we can see if it will work as is. I'm a pretty fair ST, and I tend to be open-minded about what i allow. I do ask that Characters be "Heroes" Someone akin to Punisher really isn't a hero in my book.

I'm thinking Third as now 3e has the saturation 2e has. Although Justin has the final call on this.

Also I'm thinking of a name change for this character. Doctor Northlight would have worked in the DCAU game but here I think something less corny should work. (Yeah, says the character that looks like they stepped off the set of a Buck Rogers serial.)

In fact there might be a change of look too...

The Name of the game is Heroes United, abbreviated as [HU] for game threads. you may and are encouraged to discuss character ideas here, and when you submit a character use [HU] followed by the character name please.

I will create a character Thread, for everyone's characters to be posted, with sheets optional, once characters are approved for play.

It won't be true 4-color, but I don't plan on this game being too dark either. Submit what you want to play, and we can see if it will work as is. I'm a pretty fair ST, and I tend to be open-minded about what i allow. I do ask that Characters be "Heroes" Someone akin to Punisher really isn't a hero in my book.

,, ,,

The Name of the game is Heroes United, abbreviated as [HU] for game threads. you may and are encouraged to discuss character ideas here, and when you submit a character use [HU] followed by the character name please.

I will create a character Thread, for everyone's characters to be posted, with sheets optional, once characters are approved for play.

In the spirit of this, I'll be the gadgeteer archetype of heroine... yes, that is my favorite type of hero to play. I'll just be changing some things as "Doctor Northlight" was a old concept that never got off the ground. Although the concept of a retro-sci-fi looking gadgeteer is rather compelling.

Northlight, would a engineer/inventor matter creator/manipulator be too much of an overlap with your character, or would it be a nice mesh/synergy, a la a combat Mr. Fox to your Batman?

Officially throwing in my hat. I just had a game end, and I can commit to one post per week. If the above doesn't work, I call dibs on shadow controller/manipulator.

Bah! Gadgeteer and mage already taken! Curse you internet at work!!

Uh...back to the drawing board. This is good though. Keeps me out of my comfort zone. Makes me be creative.

Oh hey, I know, I can bring Renata from Dalton in here! Easy as pie to make a telekineticist in M&M, and then I have the background everything ready to go!

Yay!

Hey guys, poking my head back out of my hole at a suggestion from Heritage.

I'll throw my lot in on this game if you guys still have room. I was thinking of doing a sort of Captain America type as I was told you're going for an Avengers feel. Just let me know what the score is and I'll see if I can't cook up a character sheet for you.

@Darksoul: Ever thought of a different reason why you control the shadows? Perhaps as a child the shadows scared you, but you found out the shadows conceal the "Arbiters of Justice" who seek out to bring criminality to justice by leaving them for the police after a sound whuppin? Sort of like Ninjas who can warp shadows to their own will?

@QMN: I can dig it. But what is your style of Cap?

Archived