[Exalted]: Into the Fire

Heaven's Reach ST

Passing though the space canal's as as part of a fleet seemed to go fairly well, all ships were able to stay in contact and arrive together, to find themselves in a star system with a constant 4 way battle going on, despite each group having a different number of ships, the variations in power seemed to equalize them.. somewhat, the local system was no doing so well against the other three invaders, but they were holding their own..

Most of the battle was being fought in and around the systems moon, which was also the reason the local powers were even able to keep up the fight, as it allowed them to churn out fighters every few minutes.

The Deathknights ship seemed to be the most destructive, but the Warlocks were holding their own, and the Imperial ships were the most numerous, though a number of their smaller ones had been destroyed.

Dan's daughter, and the Communication's Officer spoke up. "D.. Captain, we're being contacted by everyone, the system defense forces, I think the Queen the Imperial Commodore, the Lintha Warlocks and the Deathknight.. I suspect to make pleas, deliver threats, that sort of thing.. do you want me to put any of them on directly?"

Dan had spent the transit time trying to develop a strategy, but being hailed by EVERYONE as they emerged from the Canal was something he'd not expected. He'd chosen this exit point a ways away to give his fleet time to react.

"Since they're the main friendlies here, Connect me to the Local Militia first, Then the Deathknight, The Lintha, and the Imperial forces, in that order." He knew the Deathknight probably was the most dangerous, but none of them could be counted out. "When we speak to the Lintha, allow Janos to listen in, and have a private line between he and I.

"I want all the data on the battle you can glean from the system sensors, if they left any. I want everyone to battlestations, but we are far enough away we aren't in any danger, yet. Let's be prepared."

Character_Commission__Kora_by_Bobbie_the
The woman who appeared in the bridge holographic display was either the Queen or her double, and the fact she had chosen to make this call personally, was a sign of either desperation or respect, or some mixture of both.

"Greetings, Marshal, We can not thank you enough for your response to our request for aid. Matters have grown somewhat worse sense we sent our first request for aid.. " She pauses a moment, and closed her eyes, and her voice shifted slightly, clearly, she was desperate.

"Please Captain, my people are dying every minute just in order to hold our own, without your aid, we shall have to surrender to one of these forces soon. We..." She paused, then dropped the royal address.. "no, I will be personally grateful for any aid you can offer.. "

"I understand and appreciate the sentiment, and it is my goal to resolve this crisis to the benefit of your people. Saying that, I have been Hailed by every force here, and I will reply to them all."

He looked at her. "We will not waste time and I will act as soon as I can do so with the greatest effect. if you could, please send me a force disposition for what you have left, so that I know what assets we have to defend your people." He spoke with the voice of Nova Corona, and knew this wasn't what she wanted, but at least he was more than favorable. Marshals, as a rule, were men of their word.

He waited to see if she'd accept the commitment he'd made and provide the data, or try to wrangle more, knowing that he had chosen her to reply to first, he would also still hear the others too, if only to know of their intentions.

Kestrel went over to Dan and leaned towards him to murmur quietly, "We might be able to use Janos' new friends to help buy time. Have her get in touch with the Lintha forces here and try to get them to reprioritize the Imperial and Abyssal forces over the system defense. Lintha command lines are...kind of hazy sometimes. Introducing a little chaos there might take some heat off the natives."

The queen considered the captains response then nodded slightly, her body language indicated she wasn't entirely happy with his choice, but was both resigned and hopeful. "So be it Marshal, I will send you the information you requested, may the blessings of Gaia, Child of the Incarna be upon you." With that she signed off, and the information requested was already being sent to the ship.

The industrial moon of Kry'sta'tor was able to build about 10 starfighters in an hour, or a frigate every other day, and a cruiser in a week, and a battlecruiser in a month, though non of these were artifact based ships, and thus somewhat outclassed by some of the fleets in the system, they had already lost their battlecuisers and most of their cruisers, but they had swarms of fighters out there, and clearly hundreds of fighters had been destroyed.. their ability to keep ships in active was a serious boost, but the biggest problem is that they didn't have the trained personal to keep sending up more fighters... it was also a clear indication of why the empire might want this system.

Althea looked at her father a moment as she put up that information on one of the side displays available for private viewing of the bridge crew, and something that could easily be sent to "Who do you wish to respond to next, Captain?"

He knew exactly why this system was important, and nodded. I want the Deathknight next, but while I'm doing that, Let's have Janos get in touch with the Lintha forces, See if he can ascertain what they're here to do precisely and do as Kestrel Advised, and direct them at the Imperial forces."

He steeled himself for dealing with his own Dark Mirror, and inwardly had a dark, creeping sensation up his spine. "Please don't let it be Her." It was a whisper that few heard, and those knowing him well knew it was Nova, not Dan speaking. What horror from the past had come unbidden to his mind he'd not give voice to, but nonetheless, they had to hear the Deathknight now.

Janos had heard the conversation between Captain Hawkins and Emerald Sonata and in some distant part of his mind he processed the conversation. He had no doubt that he would be meeting with the Queen at some point shortly, particularly given the desperation in her voice. He was familiar with the way that monarchs compensated their saviors and while Captain Hawkins was driven by his altruism and sense of virtue, Janos understood that there was a simple way to things and that certain rules could not be broken.

He held his hand in front of him, the Autochthonian relic worn as a thin gauntlet, pulsing with a miniature, self contained pocket of chaos, the molecular membrane surrounding it powering the raw, unfettered power of creation that the relic contained. Other rules, however, could be shattered.

When the intent came across to have him contact the Lintha, he rose to his feet.

"Captain Thaya, raise the Demon's Reach. I would speak to their sorcerer, Sevus Torm. If they insist I will speak to their Defiler as well but if she is anything like her patron, it would serve little purpose"

• 2 weeks later...

Demon's Reach

Thaya nodded slightly then looked over at the ship's communications officer and nodded, then sat back in the captain's chair even as the comm system holo display came online, and the woman standing there was Cathena, dressed in a red and black robe that subtly accented and darkened the blue of her skin, and after a moment she spoke, her voice seemed almost like poisoned apples, sweet and seductive, but with a promise of something darker and more dangerous hidden beneath. "You seek to speak to one of those under my command, rather then this fleet's commander, were he not willing to speak with you, I would refuse, but your reputation proceeds you, and Sevus is interested in hearing from a Malfactor who seems to have such regard for the Principle of Hierarchy, and Blood is presently directing our forward element, so you have time."

Then she stepped back and the Defiler moved to the center of the display, and then looked at Janos and raised an eyebrow slightly in question, and waited.. his manner was more that of curiosity then the other warlock, but he didn't open with anything, waiting to see what words Janos.. or Thaya might have for him.

Gravedigger

Meanwhile, as Althea switched to the Deathknight's ship, the response was quick and the individual who appeared on Dawn's Wrath display was much different from the Terrestial Queen they had been speaking with a moment before, there was no hint of humility in this one, his bearing was proud and certain, he had a dark and terrible majesty about him, but something touched with death, like a some magnificent and terrifying crypt. His voice, when he spoke, sounded like it was touched with the hollow emptiness of death and the grave, and the mortals on the bridge shivered as the Dusk caste spoke... though there was a moment before he did, of almost recognition when he looked at Dan..

"So, the Marshal's have added their own pieces to the board, I have only one thing to say to you and yours, Commander, stay out of my way... or prepare to be cut down."

• 3 weeks later...

"I will take that under advisement." He nodded once to the enemy commander. He was glad it was too far away to fire immediately, but stalling really didn't help much. They both knew they wouldn't fight alongside each other.

Nova still couldn't shake the memory. He decided it was worth the Gamble. "Despite seeing you across the field of battle, I would say it's not yet unpleasant to see you, Soori." It gave away a little of their shared heritage, but if it provoked a reaction, well so much the better.

He held the channel open, waiting to see anything, if not, then it would be time to check in with Janos.

Janos simply looked back at the sorcerer, Sevus Torm. Though there was a certain level of condescension in their manner, such was the case with all Green Sun Princes. As was their right given what they were and what they represented. Fortunately for the Defiler, it was relatively contained.

"Sevus Torm, you are good to accept my request to speak to you directly though your reasons I believe leave something to be desired. I come with the revealed will of our mutual patron, the Principle of Hierarchy. I am obligated though, to inquire about any task that she has set before you so that such a revelation to you and yours does not interfere.

"I, for one, would inquire as your patron is not the Silent Wind, who is known for her eccentricities. Yours and mine are the same and while I cannot claim to know her mind any more than the rest of us can, I wonder what sort of task has you leading a full coven of Warlocks to this place and waging war with your lessers."

Dawn's Wrath

The Deathknight frowned slightly at Dan's words, then his eyes narrowed. "Nova?" He then visibly shook himself. "No matter who you are, or who you used to be, however.. " The other man paused a moment, clearly not entirely comfortable with this new revelation. "I will grant you the favor, out of our shared history, unless you interpose yourself directly in my path, of avoiding immediate combat with you.. though we both know that isn't going to last." Apparently some background was remembered, though perhaps not enough, it was an in to his enemies mind.. with the last, the Deathknight signed off, if a touch less confident then before.

Demon's Reach

There was almost perfect stillness to Sevus Torm as he replied, no hint of any emotion colored his voice, it sounded almost robotic, though it stopped short of actually being so. "My applied goal here is to assist in the capture of a certain artifact, beyond that, I am under no particular set or series of instructions, other then the will of the Principle of Hierarchy, who does on occasion assist her sibling, despite the insanity of the silent wind, usually at the direction of her superior, Malfeas himself... who I understand has taken some degree of interest in this matter, if only for the destruction it may cause. Still, if you have some illumination to the will of my patron, I am willing to integrate that information with my present task"

"Well that's something." He nodded. "Alright, before we raise Janos, let's hear the Imperials, he may need more time to negotiate." It was a change in plans, but he knew they'd adapt quickly enough.

He waited until the comchannel was open and stared at the screen. "This Senior Marshal Daniel Hawkins, Captain of the Starship Dawn's Wrath. To what do I owe the pleasure of this Hail, Commodore?" Standing there, clad in his gleaming Celestial Battle Armor on the bridge of a Solar Destroyer, he was an imposing figure, and the iron set of his jaw gave the impression he wasn't a man for idle chit chat and small talk, unlike most Imperials he'd come across.

Janos smiled a knowing smile. He was quite content with the fact that his standing among the agents of She Who Lives In Her Name was nigh unquestionable. His manner was contained, deliberate. His words and statements were well thought out, considered, and backed by the conviction of one who shaped worlds as a matter of course.

"You are being played for a fool. The Demon City has no interest in destruction. If he is in keeping with his nature, the destruction of such wonders of architecture would be offensive. Besides, as such a revered agent of the Principle of Hierarchy, I have no reason to doubt that you could craft a weapon of such potency and destruction yourself. To be perfectly honest, one student of Hierarchy to another, our Patron's design for us goes well above the wishes of any one being but such potential is unattainable so long as one continues to follow the designs of the Patron Intelligence of Treachery and Deceit.

"You may do with this information as you will, though know that if you choose slavery over ascension, though our aims align currently, we may not be allies beyond the time it takes to purge the system of the Tomb Stars abomination and the Empire's servants."

• 4 weeks later...

Dawn's Wrath

swordlady.jpg

A pair of women were on the other end of the hail, one of whom appeared to be in charge, but both woman on the other end of the hail paused a moment to look at Dan then seemed to make a reassessment, as though she had a different speech prepared and completely changed it upon seeing the dawn in his golden armor. Making a gesture to stop the other woman from speaking, she took control of the hail "I am Commodore Erika Carthak, commander of this fleet, and this is my sister, Alicia Carthak, commander of the Stellar Flame our flagship, we represent the Empire here, what is the purpose of the Star Marshals in this system, Captain?"

,, ,,

Star's Vengeance

The infernal considered the information offered to him by Janos and then pursed his lips slightly in a frown, some indication that the information that Janos had offered him was not welcome, or not pleasant news. For a long moment the defiler was completely silent as he considered the information he was given, before he responded to Janos words. "I will need collaborating evidence to be certain of your information, but I will give it the due consideration that it is worth, if you are not mistaken, be assured I will take action to support the Principle of Hierarchy and her purposes."

Janos simply held up a gauntleted hand. The Vitriol-aspected Hand of the Great Maker he wore glinting in the light of the ship's interior lighting. With a thought, he had the lights dimmed in the chamber, allowing the protoshinmaic vortex inset into the hand to produce its own light, crackling with potential and power.

"I am not going to insult you by asking if you know what this is. By following the path of ascended perfection, rather than the Ebon Dragon's twisted scheming, I was able to create this, the hand and the inset both in just a matter of days. Of my own volition. It would take a lesser craftsman full seasons to do this, as well as centuries if not millenia of experience. What further proof do you need?"

==============

Things of Significance
The Hand of the Great Maker in its basic form requires a solar charm of which there is no (non-heretical) analogue to use. Similarly, Protoshimaic Vortices were artifacts in the truest form that it took an elder Solar to build. ,,

Given that Janos is pretty close to legendary among the followers of SWLIHN and as Green Sun Prince((Backing 5 - Pyrian, Influence 5 - Pyrian)) there is no (known) way he should be able to make (or use, in the case of the Hand) these things

"My purpose is as it always is, Commodore. I am here to protect the peace of Creation. This world cried out for aid to the Marshals, and they sent it. Considering I find a Deathknight Captained battleship, as well as an Infernal Captained Lintha Fleet, I must say the reports of clashes between Imperial ships and this world's Standing Militia disturb me. There are much greater threats here, ones that threaten All. Perhaps there were errors on both sides, the situation is quite tense, accidents happen."

"I am here to unsnarl the knot this situation presents to everyone. You can be part of the Solution, I'd welcome it honestly, but if we cannot come to an arrangement that benefits the World, the Empire, and the Marshals, I will accept that too."

The fact his fleet was easily strong enough to take down the Imperial fleet was something they'd likely realized. it would be a Phyrric victory, leaving the way open for the Infernals and Deathknight to take the world as their own.

"Working together, we can bring this crisis to a quick and honorable resolution. That would be best of all."

Star's Vengeance

The Defiler stared at the creation that Janos was wearing on one hand for about five seconds without saying anything, then he quirked his eyebrow slightly and smiled. "Well, that is something that requires a direct investigation, one moment I'll be right with you... if it stands up to my investigation, I will be remaining with you." A that the connection was severed, and about 1 minute later with an blazing anima of green fire rising around him, the aftermath of his transportation spell, Sevas Torm was standing in space, knocking on the door of one of the ship's airlock.

Dawn's Wrath

The fire aspect considered his reply for a moment, then glanced at her sister, who seemed a bit resigned, and smiled slightly. "Despite evidence to the contrary, I would not be opposed to a diplomatic rather then a military solution, things have gotten a little out of hand over here. Your forces are in a rather unique position to turn this conflict in favor of whomever you chose, and I have the authority to negotiate some relationship that was fair to those involved."

"Very good Commodore, your wisdom will save many lives, something all Good Shipmasters wish for. Please have your Forces disengage from the Local militia forces, I will send a communique directly to their leaders, which should have them withdraw mirroring your own act of good faith. We can let the Lintha and Deathknight fight it out betwixt themselves, while we parley and come up with a solution to make us all Happy."

He consulted his System chart, and provided coordinates for the Imperial fleet to pull back to, not so far that they couldn't quickly reengage if need be, but enough to prove the sincerity of their willingness to parley. He sent a text only message to Sophia's console. "Send a message to the Queen, informing her that should the Imperial forces pull back she is to reconsolidate her defensive forces as tightly as she can. Ask if she'd be willing to parley with the Empire, with the Marshals mediating."

He smiled, hoping the women involved saw the wisdom of such a move. He was already planning to host them aboard his own ship, neutral ground, at least between combatants. Now if Only Janos could deliver noninterference from the Lintha, they could handle that Battleship.

Kestrel fidgeted and found herself glancing back at the door off the bridge more than once. This wasn't her scene. Planting false evidence, bribing functionaries, maybe hacking into a defense console or doing some tricks with communications to make enemy ships target each other...that was her thing. High level negotiations between fleet commanders? Not so much.

"Janos may deliver results, but he sure takes his sweet time about it," she remarked as Dan cut the communications off. "Look, that battleship is tough, but it's not enough. What worries me is that the abyssals must know that. They're not here to just take a bunch of other people with them. There's something we're missing."

Sophia messages. "Right Sending it now."

Her Message reads ":Your Majesty, I speak on orders of my Captain. He suggests that in the event the Imperials pull back, you should reconsolidate your forces. Pack them as tightly as you can for defense. Also, with the Marshal's mediating, would you be willing to Parlay with the Empire?

Regards, Sophia Ashcroft, Waxing Moon Caste."

"That should do it. Send."

• 2 weeks later...

Sophia's message was quickly responded to, within the first minute, and their response was favorable, in general, this is what they sent back.

Diplomatic Options would be welcome, if the Marshal's can ensure the safety and security of our star system, we welcome your efforts.

Meanwhile, Dyna chimed in agreement with Kestrel "The agents of the Tomb-Stars certain want destruction, but they don't dispatch a ship this powerful without more reason then just a war. We should likely land on the moon and seek entrance into it's internal systems as soon as possible, probability indicates there is something in there both they and the Lintha want badly."

Kestrel pointed at Dyna, her eyes suddenly opening wider. She snapped and pointed at her again, then at Dan.

"That!" she blurted, and ran over to the sensor controls. "Dyna help me out here!"

The metallic woman's brow furrowed ever so slightly and she asked, in the most reasonable of tones, "With what?"

"Giant battleship, bombastic calls, threatening the locals..." Kestrel muttered, then looked up from the controls at Dan. "Imagine this was people instead of ships. Two big armies, and right in the middle is this one guy. He's huge, and he's wearing crazy golden armor...you know, like yours...and he's waving his oversized sword around and shouting...and even though the armies are pretty sure they can take him, no one really wants to be the first to try it because they know he'll take a lot of them down first."

"But why are they doing it?"

She brought up a sensor readout of the Abyssal battleship and started panning over it, zooming in, tracking the time register up, and doing it all over again.

"Misdirection. They're waving a big sign around and screaming LOOK AT ME. So what don't they want us looking at?"

Dyna gazed at the display impassively and asked, "What are you looking for?"

"Thermal spike...not sure where the shuttle bays are on that thing, but it must be one of these little forcefields because a door would be too obvious. Fighter bay maybe. They'd have fired the engines inside the ship...a very specific burn, with a very specific trajectory, to coast under cloak to the moon. Then they slingshot around to the dark side, decelerate and land, and drop a team."

Kestrel nodded as she kept tracking back, looking for that telltale sign. "If they haven't already done it, they're going to."

(OOC - She's looking for some kind of sign that the Abyssal ship has managed to get a ship down to the moon already. Let me know what to roll to find that evidence if it exists. If not...cool! Maybe not too late then. :))

Roll!

[salmonMax] 6:10 pm: Rollin' for Krul's Exalted...

SalmonMax *rolls* 11d10: 7+2+7+1+1+3+5+2+7+9+10: 54
[salmonMax] 6:11 pm: Annnd 5. Coo.

((OOC- My bad here, I straight up *missed* Krul's first response, here goes))

The air surrounding Janos's form crackled with emerald essence briefly as activated the Emerald Wings, the accompanying essence coursing through the Hand. Thaya at his side, he made his way through the corridors of the Star's Vengeance until he reached the airlock. With a few moments concentration, he manipulated the controls of the lock itself, halfway a mechanical manipulation, halfway coercing the demonic frame of the ship into cooperation.

Janos considered his options. The next few minutes were the most unpredictable of the foreseeable. When presented with the truth of his nature, being distinct and separate from what the architect of the Reclamations stated, Sevus Torm would have a number of possible options. First, he could accept the path for what it was, being a road to apotheosis and divinity, after a fashion. Second, he could reject the path for what it also was: Heresy and defiance of the stated goals of the Stellar Intelligences, in which case he would not be allowed to leave.

Whichever way the coin fell, the next few minutes would be interesting, to say the least.

Dawn's Wrath

It took but a few moments for Kestrel and Dyna to confirm the Night caste's guess was more then just a guess, it was a certainty, the Abyssal ship had already landed a fighter on the moon, it was even possible that the conversation with the Deathknight had been relayed though the fighter then back to the Soulsteel Battleship, or that there was more then one Deathknight involved, at this point it was too late to be entirely sure.

Star's Vengeance

As soon as the Airlock was opened, the Defiler caste stepped though and gave Janos his full attention, and as he did his eyes widened, for he had Essence Sight active and could see the very nature of the essence flows around Janos and there was a hint of both fear, uncertainty and wonder in his voice as he spoke up. "What? What have you done?!"

Dan didn't panic, but instead sent a text only message to the Queen. "Deathknight ship on lunar surface, be on guard, potential for a Deathknight to be on the moon, within defenses. Suggest doubling guard, and locking down the facility. Reccomend Highest Alert status."

"Do you feel confident enough in your abilities to go down there and elimanate whatever came from that Ship, Kestrel? I'd prefer not to leave my ship but I will if the need is there."

He looked to Sophia. "Send word to Janos that an agent of the Tombstars has managed to land upon the moon, we'll be sending reinforcements down handle it, but I want him up here in case the Infernals or that battleship get frisky."

"..." Kestrel looked away from the sensor panel and stared for a second at Dan. "Look, I'm...I've got no idea what's down there. And I'm not bad in a fight, but part of what makes me good at what I do is that I know my limits."

"I can't promise I can fight a deathknight and win, but...I feel pretty good about saying I can steal this thing before they can. The hard part is getting me down there in time. They'll be watching for a drop pod or a smallship, and even if we have one that can cloak, doing a stealth manuever like they did trades time for security. Going in unpowered means you're not going fast."

She scowled and brought up another display, then started panning around, looking for something even she knew not what.

"Just give me a second to think about this."

"What have you done?"

Janos's stare was an icy one, the very essence of the cold, calculating order that the Principle of Hierarchy once embodied. His face told no tales, gave nothing away, only indicating to the Defiler that had just boarded his ship that he was just as much a subject to be studied as he was in shock at what had been discovered.

"Only what we are meant to do, Sevus Torm. When one is able to pursue perfection without interruption, one is able to pursue a course of thought to its logical conclusion. The birth of a Stellar Intelligence is possible through a convergence of properly aspected Essence, a force of primordial creation, and the will and audacity to force change on the world to make it so."

Janos recommitted the Essence to his Emerald Wings, allowing them to flare and illuminate the chamber with their harsh, nuclear glow.

"We, you and I, are Green Sun Princes. Living incarnations of will and audacity, forged in the fires of Malfeas and coursing with its Essence. Only the Yozi's themselves are more strongly aspected towards the Primordial. More importantly, we are Exalted. The core of our beings, that which makes us what we are, is specifically designed to build, to create, to forge new worlds. Since the birth of the stars, no force known to humankind has matched a Solar Exaltation's capacity for change an upheaval. It is in their nature to build, to create, to destroy, and then to build anew. Our Mistress knows this to be true. Or at least she did, before the Cataclysm of history, the Primordial Wars stripped such awareness from her. She now serves order, control, and more order. Not for any real purpose, not consciously anyway, but for its own."

"Some part of her, however, sees the damage that the Primordial War has done. The Three Spheres Cataclysm is a historical mark that defines the Imperfection of the Principle of Hierarchy and it maddens her. This, I believe, is why she went along with the Shadow of All Things and his plan. When have you known her to agree with the Ebon Dragon on anything? Much less a half-considered scheme that she knows is destined to fail, or be a pyrrhic victory at best. She hasn't. What she has done, even if it is subconsciously, is set a course of events into motion that can potentially do much more than simply break down the walls of the Demon City.

"We are so much more than mere Exalted. We are Princes. Anointed in fire and crowned with the power of Creation's architects. We are meant for greatness, not slavery, followed by the extinction that is guaranteed if the Ebon Dragon's plan succeeds."

Janos paused at that, gauging Sevus's reaction.

"Oh, yes, I considered that too. Presuming the Shadow of All Things's plan were to work and he were to be freed, we would be ground to as much dust. Tools that have served their purpose and were to be discarded. Treachery is in his nature, this cannot be a new concept."

"So to answer your question, Sevus Torm, I have taken the first steps down our true path, and should you have the conviction and the depth of faith that is needed to shake the foundations of the cosmos, I promise you this: You haven't seen anything yet"

Star's Vengeance

Sevus listened to Janos for a long moment said nothing, the warlock seemed to be struggling internally... then finally he began to speak once more. "You put me in a quandary, where it not my goal to learn all of the secrets of the universe, this would be unthinkable, as you demonstrate a possibility and potential that is heresy to those who shaped our kind, and yet you are on a path that has yet to be fully explored, and as such one that holds secrets that are unknown to any...."

Sevus frowned and then sighed. "As much as part of me finds the idea of standing against the will of our creators appalling, another part of me can not oppose such a revelation of understanding, nor can I fail to explore such a matter to it's end, you are blending the energies of more then one of the primordials in a manner even they can't have entirely foreseen.. " Then he laughed. "Following this path is a betrayal of the incarnation of betrayal, amusingly enough, so be it, I stand with you on this, at least, if not necessarily in other matters"

Dawn's Wrath

Dyna considered for a moment then turned to Kestrel and Dan "Captain, alone her chances are not as great as if several of us went down there together, a small group could at least present multiple options if nothing else, and it is not strictly necessary for all of us to remain on board this ship to maintain our position, and the Endeavor may have a ship that can get us down there, if this ship doesn't have any fast shuttles. It seems to me that the diplomatic options would be the sort your communications officer can take care of, on that front at least, only the eclipse is known for being more diplomatic then those of the serenity caste."

"What I do, Sevus, what we do, is nothing so simple as the defiance of the Yozi Intelligences. It is the logical conclusion of all that we are made to be. If our creators, as powerful and wise as they are, were aware of this potential within us and intentionally withheld the information from us, one of two options are true: First, those of us who are worthy are intended to discover and follow this path, thus becoming the heirs to all of Creation. Second, the Yozis are purposefully hamstringing their agents in the field, such sabotage indicating a murderous intent that would make them unworthy of continued service as it is tantamount to suicide. If in their omniscience they have missed such apparent potential, then their blindness is an unforgivable flaw which must be repaired before they can be restored to being fully operational.

'As for your agreement, it is fortunate that you reached the same conclusion, though I would know, as you stand here, what matters you do not stand with me on."

Dan nodded. "Althea, Sophia make the arrangements with the Imperial Fleet, as well as the Locals. We will be sending down a team to aid in the apprehension and elimination of the abyssal infiltrators."

"I need one of you to establish a direct link to Janos, I need to know what he's doing right now, and let him know what's going on."

The call was put through, and he waited for Janos to answer the hail.

The hail came through just as it seemed like Janos's quizzical stare was about to bore a hole through the Defiler's head. he glanced over at a monitor to see who the interruption was. Captain Hawkins. It had been quite some time since there had been a status update.

A mental flick and a flash of Essence as the Mind Hand operated the ship's communications systems flawlessly. Visually angled so that his new guest could not be seen on the Captain's array, he answered the call.

"Captain Hawkins. It is good to hear from you. Are you calling to tell me that we are free to engage the Empire's servants and the Tomb Stars' slaves?"

A brief pause as he glanced around the chamber filled with Lintha pirates, his Ravager consort and Second in Command, Thaya, and the newcomer to the 'cause', the Defiler Sevus Torm.

"My dogs are hungry"

One would have to be deaf to not have heard the exuberant response from the Lintha at that last statement.

"Negative Janos. Do not fire on them or the locals unless you are fired upon. I am in the process of effecting a truce between them. I trust you to keep the Infernal forces occupied, and if that Soulsteel Battleship so much as twitches into aggressive posture towards us or the Factory moon, you are ordered to neutralize it as a threat, however you wish. Your friends may not like it as much as the Imperials, but whatever undead crew that monster are enemies of all Creation, and will give them a great and bloody battle that they seek, and would enjoy."

"So you would have us wait until the Soulsteel vessel and its commanders are ready to engage before erasing them? Similarly, you have us aid the Imperials until such a time that they would be able to rid themselves of your presence at their convenience? With respect, Captain Hawkins, you appear to be operating off of optimism and goodwill rather than tactical wisdom and established precedent."

Janos let the questions and the commentary hang in the air for a moment, his face revealing nothing, the predictions speaking for themselves.

"Message received, Captain. I will not open fire on the Imperials until they do so first, and the regarding the Tomb Star Slave Ship, I will exercise discretion. In the meanwhile, I pray for your sake that I am wrong. If I am not, may your death be a painless one."

Dan sighed. "Perhaps it is optimism, but I am a man sent here to restore the peace, not shatter it. If they violate their word and honor and fire, then my wrath will be terrible. His eyes flashed a quick golden color then returned to normal. "If I am truly trusting anyone, it is you Janos, to guard my back. The Imperial Fleet has already pulled back sufficiently far enough that reengaging will take them time, and should they move a ship beyond their flagship to meet for formal parley, it will be a breaking of the truce."

He smiled at Janos. "We will try peace and compassion first, and then if those fail, We'll show them why they were foolish to dismiss the easier ways."

Marshal's Fleet

"Marshal, I have transmitted the situation to all members of the fleet, the Nobel Endeavor is prepared to engage the Deathknights, and the Planetary forces assure me that they can get a number of us onto the moon in short order. The Imperials have turned their weapons to the Lintha forces, the Pirates and Imperials are fully engaged with each other at the moment, diplomatic efforts on that front may require that we engage to force the Pirates to withdraw." Althea reported to her father, in a formal manner as she continued to maintain communications.

"Commander Gaunt has settled the ships security systems, and is on her way to the bridge, would you like me to redirect her to the ship docks in order to join the ground team? Also, I have a reminder that the Voidswimmer and Noble Endeavor have our marine units, and the Voidswimmer has landing craft for their units, should it be necessary to land them, or attack and board one of the remaining enemy ship's."

Meanwhile Dyna moved over toward Kestrel and put a hand on her shoulder. "If the Captain permits, I would be willing to assist you on the mission to the industrial moon, my skills and capabilities would certainly be useful in an industrial complex, and "

Star's Vengence

Sevus spoke up once Janos finished speaking. "With the insight and revelation you have shown me, I am willing to stand with you at this time. But I don't understand your purpose here, what is the point in assisting these Marshal's in their purpose, why join you fate's with them?" He inquired curiously.

Voidswimmer

Aboard the Voidswimmer, the crew looked to their new dragon blooded captain. "We're prepared to begin the assault as necessary, Captain, there is a bit of communications from the command ship, it appears that the enemy has already landed a force on the moon, and the Imperial fleet has withdrawn from direct attacks on the planetary forces, but they remain engaged with the Lintha."

The note in the Imperial fleet was annoying. "Be advised Janos I cannot make the Imperials disengage the Lintha fleet I would prefer that happen with minimal casualties."

He looked at the Infernal. "If you're going to do something there, do not get caught."

He cut the channel and had one opened to Karren. "Karren, head to the Portside Shuttlebay 1, I'm sending Dyna and Kestrel to accompany you. You'll be going down to the moon, to meet with the locals, and hunt down and eliminate whatever forces have landed from that Abyssal ship." He walked over from his command post and rested a gauntlet-clad hand upon Dyna's shoulder. "I do not like you leaving my side, Chief Engineer, but there are times where you see more clearly than I. Go and help preserve the factory moon."

He expanded his gaze to include Kestrel. "Be safe, both of you. Diplomacy may yet save us from a major naval battle, but if you need reinforcement, I'll deploy our marines. with Karren's tracking abilities you should be able to find whatever went down and run it to ground."

He offered them a rare smile. "Come back safely, victorious." With that he paused a moment and then returned to his place on the main bridge, A towering epitome of a Dawn Caste Admiral, clad in armor of a long forgotten age.

"Althea, send word to have our marines prepare for battle. I know not where it will be boarding action, or ground support, but that will matter little. I have faith in them, they were tasked to the finest ships in our fleet, and I know that alone should show the confidence High command and their Admiral has in them."

Open a channel to the Voidswimmer for Sun Kai, and one to the Noble Endeavor. We're going to talk a little strategy. I trust Janos to be a wild card, but our wild card."

"You brought deathknights just for me? Sweetie, you shouldn't have," responded Karren's voice over the coms, so cheerful and excited it was scary, "I'll be there and waiting for our thief and tin lady. Karren out."

Down in the bowels of the ship, the lunar chuckled after closing the channel. Finally. Some action. She adjusted her vest, proudly emblazoned with the name of her new ship. It didn't quite have that warm place the Void Swimmer had in her heart, but still. It was nice in it's own way, and Dan was here. That could make all the difference in anything. She smiled a needle tooth grin and spun on one booted heel, making long strides in the direction the shuttle bay. It took an effort of will to not invoke a few of her more basic knacks on the way there. Things had sounded dicey enough on the way in that she didn't want to spook the natives into shooting at her just off the shuttle. Not when there were evil Lintha pirates and deathknights to deal with.

Maybe there'd be looting enough for her barter for some goodies from Janos without owing him a favor. That'd be useful. Still needed a pig-sticker or two.

"So noted, sir." Sun Kai responded over the link to Captain Hawkins, wryly deadpan. Whether this was in regards to talking strategy, Janos Tem's status as a wild card or any other third thing would likely have elicited a flat 'yes.' "My marines stand ready to join the assault on the planet surface if you so order it."

Sun Kai didn't think so highly of having them board enemy ships instead. Attacking a foe on their ground, and on a ship no less where chokepoints existed in infinitude were never efficacious plans in his book.

So swept up was she in the battle-bred inspiration of Dan's speech that it wasn't until she and Dyna were halfway to the shuttle bay before Kestrel remembered something she felt was important.

"Uh...wait...how are we getting down there?" she asked. "Are we just going to fly down in plain view, asking them to kindly burn us out of the sky? I mean...they may be willing to bet their ground team can beat us and let us go, so as not to start a shooting war with Dan's fleet, but that's a hell of a 'may.'"

Archived