Game idea

Justin OOC

Okay, I love Giant robots, and I love Kaiju movies. Pacific Rim didn't inspire this game proposal, but it certainly crystallized my desire to run it.

We have two paths, though, that I'll put forward, I can run either.

First, It would be a BESM 3e game where Earth has begun expanding into space, using titanic humanoid machines to mine the asteroid belt for precious metals. While this occurs, The Sol system comes under attack, not by an alien armada, but gigantic monsters, each capable of flattening a city. The mining mechs are hastily converted to combat these monsters, and prove to be the only means of truly stopping them. The PC's would be pilots, though some secondary vocation isn't unheard of. The game would focus on discovering the origin of these attacks, how the Monsters are getting to Earth, what their interest is, and somehow ending the threat to humanity.

,, ,,

The Second Path, uses a modified version of the aberrant rules. All novas would fall into 2 groups, Titans, the Human, untainted novas, who's massive form is some form of giant hard solid humanoid.

The Kaiju, the Novas who have fallen victim to the Ruin (taint), and become large biological monsters, driven only by the instinct to destroy. A nova's power would be determined by their category (Quantum rating) Characters would receive 1 dot in sizemorph grow per dot of quantum. Thus, the more powerful, the larger you are. The Kaiju can infect others with the Ruin (temporary taint) which will add some more meaning to the battles. The game would be more a war to take down the various Kaiju nests, where more of these monsters are spawned, and a fight against becoming monsters yourselves, even as you leave your humanity further and further behind. There are several ways the game could go, and many ways to take things.

These general ideas represent what I'd like to do, what I'd like to hear are your thoughts.

And ye, the Robot forms would be humanoid, it's a conceit of mine.

If I can make a suggestion...

Trinity has giant robots already factored into the rules, VARGS and BioVARGS are stated as giant robots you pilot and fly through a battlefield, loaded with missiles, miniguns, laser rifles, you name it. Don't take it the wrong way, but Aberrant basically IS Trinity and nova being giant robots is kind of a lame idea (sorry, just my opinion) and BESM is just a convoluted system.

Use the VARG rules, and if you feel they aren't up to snuff, add some health levels, extra armor here and there, hell the story for Trinity is perfect since all the Aberrants the PC will be pummeling can be those giant mutant freaks...

Just a thought.

There's mecha rules in Camelot Trigger so why not use FA- *is shot* *deserves it*

Seriously, Justin, you run with whatever system will work for the themes and tone you want. I think BESM can work fine and so can Aberrant, and so can M&M3E and FATE Core. Pacific Rim was dope as hell and I'm sure you'll have a great time running it.

Just have to wait and see what Justin decides. I'm with Max though, I'm ore about the pilots and the mecha than the setting. Hell, doesn't even have to be Earth, a couple of mecha mercs could be out trying to rid a world of these things so a corp could get it's mining, or something like Armored Core...

I'm sort of with Jordan here, I'd love to see a Mecha based Trinity game, complete with psionic's and Varg's.. but Justin's desire for what sort of game he want's to run is what matters most

It doesn't even have to be the Aeon setting really, but as Rev pointed out the Trinity rules are literally right there. Big Stompy Robots, horrible monsters to fight, Psi-navigated jump ships. I'd just like to see the Pilots keep their Psi too :)

What?

I'm going to be honest here. One, the storyteller system is horrible for the genere and two I don't have any of that particular material (or be able to find it, trust me I looked.). BESM would work better but no one will play it. That leaves M&M 3. M&M 3 can do it, and do it decently well.

It won't be M&M 3, I've already had such a game fail. I'm willing to try something new, though I will ask that when this game does get going, you guys keep in mind I will likely make some mistakes on rules, due to inexperience.

In my experience, the people in a game...playing and GMing...are vastly more important than the system in determining how fun and successful a game is. I dislike Aberrant too, but I've had a lot of fun playing it because I found a fun bunch of folks to do it with.

You can get Trinity and several of it's other books at DrivethruRPG, admittedly it isn't free, but the pdf's are at 1/2 price at the moment (for all of the various books they have avalible, Abberation, Trinity and Adventure) Trinity is just over $7 at this point, and for a mecha game I'd suggest the Technology Manual as well. bit again it's down to $7, the Trinity's Player's Guide is the most at the moment at just over $10... if I was running a Trinity Mecha game, I'd want the first two.. and maybe the last, though I could do without it, it would just make things easier.

However, they have a quick start guide for Trinity that is free at the moment.

Just seems I get all fired up for a game, then find out it is in a system I despise.

You can understand the buzz-kill I'm feeling right now.

Tommy, your autism is showing. No one suggested Aberrant.

Trinity and Aberrant are not the same system. Same style (d10 ST) but the Trinity rules are vastly different. The characters are more balanced, weapons are more on par with soak, and lethality of combat is increased (humans and Psions can't soak lethal damage without armor).

On a different note, if we're going to use trinity, which I would love, even if you don't use all of it, or make it your own setting rather then using WW's default, which I hope you do, sense it sounds as you have something specific in mind..

If we use the Psi, which I also hope we do, I think I'd like to snag the Electrokinetic character (with TK as my second choice).. not that there isn't room for more then one of either of those.

Just a little tid bit, there's also the d20 future/Mecha rules as well. The modern rules were weak I know, but the future rules were a solid win. I like playing d20 future games. (With a few pathfinder rules). :)

Max, I'm going with 275 point characters, with up to 75 points spent customizing the mechs. The Mechs you start with will be basic for the most part, they're meant to be. if you have mechanical or scientific backgrounds, you could well design the next iteration of your mechs, their armaments, and so on. The action in this game will be the big robots and monsters duking it out. The interaction, will be the players/pilots working together to learn more of their enemies, and how better to combat them, anticipate them, and hopefully stop them from annihilating humanity.

The robots themselves will only be about 60 feet tall to start, though I imagine they will become larger... They will not get smaller. I am still working on the hard rules for customization, but I can say your character will be a normal homo sapiens.you may have an attribute as high as 7, but only 1. I expect good reasons supported by background for any such stat.

A few questions:

If the the mechs are 'basic' models, then why do you need to design them? Why not specify the guidelines and let the players design the mechs themselves?

The reason is simple: the players should not be an extension of their mech, it should be the other way around. My mech is a design and personification of my character's personality. If I were to play a big bruiser type, then my mech would reflect that. Were I to play a stealthy character, my mech would reflect that.

The point is: if you design my mech, it's not my mech. It's your mech, I'm just driving it. Frankly, I'd prefer to build my own within the parameters you set down.

Because at the point in time when the game begins, the mechs are uniformly built (not mass produced, just built so that they can take the same parts). Humanity doesn't know enough to try to go a ton of directions at once (unique bots custom-built for the pilots) With any luck, the characters will play a major part in that, and then the bots will be fully customizable.

So we get to play for months, and months, and months, and months, and months, and months, and months, and months, and months, and months, and months, and months, and months, and months, and months, and months, and months...

...to finally have enough CP to build the mech we always wanted.

Sounds like a hoot.

Archived