Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova - [CN D0] Returning Home

Naomi Minami

Note
Once I open the thread, others can join in at their discretion.

July 1, 2013

1:30 am Japan Standard Time

Tokyo University Hospital, Nova Medicine Ward

It was a rough delivery. Naomi had been struggling for four days without rest. Each child from her was a war against herself. A body is not designed to carry so many for a full term, and it took more and more for her to deliver each child. Then after her last child came out and the umbilical was cut, she dormed, her quantum energy utterly spent.

The sound of blood and afterbirth hitting the floor sent the doctors into a scurry as Naomi let out a horrifying scream. For a few moments, they thought they could save her. But a quick scan with a portable MRI told the story... her internal bleeding was not healing, her organs had minor ruptures from the sudden change back to human.

She only had minutes left... only moments.

A nurse came to Ryu who had heard the scream.

"Mister Hideyoshi, you need to see your wife... I'm... sorry... but you only have a few minutes now... maybe less."

Ryu himself had been tending to their five children all born healthy and stable He rushed back to Naomi's sides and the doctor's words hit him like a sledgehammer.

He held her hand, and could already hear her heart slowing. "You can't do this to me Naomi, not now..."

Naomi weakly opened her eyes. "...I... don't think I have... a say in the matter anymore."

She held on to his hand. "I think ... I've been cheating death for... long enough." She looked at him with her eyes wide. Tears forming from the pain yet she struggles. "Ryu... just remember... don't dwell on this... You have... over there my gift to the future... that... that..." She swallowed back some blood. "That is all the immortality I need."

She smiled. "Just... Just don't name any of the girls Naomi but that one..."

She pointed to the nearly human girl laying on the table, with calico like patterns on the ears on her head and tail, but was otherwise just looking like a human with cat ears and a tail.

"She'll... Shell do great things."

Her head cranked back in pain. "Dammit!"

A doctor rushed over, injecting her with morphine. Soon she calmed, but even with the morphine in her, her augmented stamina would shake it off, unless she passed on first.

Naomi turned to Ryu... "Just... one thing... cremate me. then... scatter me on the beaches of my home... okay? PROMISE ME."

He nodded, and kissed her nose softly. "I promise you my love, I will do as you wish, both with our daughter, and with your mortal remains." He knew it wouldn't be long, and hands that could rip apart a main battle tank held her gently. "You are amazing, Naomi, I love you."

"No... you are..."

She looked to her side and saw Tama again... as a little kitten sitting on the machines monitoring her last moments. If it was just a hallucination or something just beyond what people understood... well she'd know soon enough.

"At least... I was... Human... In the end..."

She looked up at the cieling, and a doctor turned off the alarms. Everyone knew what was about to happen as she exhaled her last and the monitors registered zero. "I'm.. coming home..."

Some of the nurses left almost immediately, cursing their failures in disgust while the doctor on duty broke down. A member of Naomi's secuity detail barked out immediately into his radio. "Block all WiFi transmissions around Tokyo University, we need a media blackout."

The newly minted director of Department Zero, Hitomi Ishikawa, rushed in and she turned paler than the white on the labcoats that didnt have Naomi's blood on them.

She didn't have to say anything at that point.

The doctor on the case shook her head. "Dammit..."

Her hand trembled as she pulled up the sheet, about to cover Naomi's head. It didn't seem right or possible but...

"Do... do you wish to have any of her organs donated, Mr. Hideyoshi? We need your answer now so we can rush her to surgery."

"No, her wish was to be cremated and scattered on the shores of her home. I do not think a normal person could even take them now." He was still holding her hand, as he leaned down to kiss her head through the sheet.

He looked back at the Director. T"here's no point in trying to stop the news of this getting out. The whole nation will know, and will grieve. What matters most to me now, is that our children will survive. I have no idea if normal breast milk will sustain them, and if they are anything like she and I are, they will eat quite abit. I want that question answered as soon as possible, I want the guards on campus trippled, and I want to be released from duty, at least for the next week."

The new director nodded. Ryu's tone brooked no arguement, and his words spurred the medical staff to action. He released Naomi's hand, and stood, drawing himself up to his full height, with a deep breath, and then exhaled. "I will be with them now, it is where I belong." He strode in silence to where the five newborn children rest, all sleeping quietly, and sat down quietly on a chair, among them.

The news didn't take long to spread around the world like a shockwave,

The BBC covered the loss as all police officers covered their badges in honor of the fallen Detective.

CNN reported the growing memorial in front of the Japanese embassy in Washington DC.

In Tokyo, a candlelight vigil was held. Some in shock that Naomi, the picture of health and one of their beloved Novas had passed.

But in Ukedo, her home town, still being rebuilt from a disaster, the blow centered harshest. Children taught by Naomi before the disaster gathered at their school which still stood and remembered their teacher, adults who got to know her gathered at the makeshift town hall, praying for her. The Mayor knew what was about to happen. This town again would be visited by tragedy. First the Earthquake and Tsunami, then taking care of a contingency of Russian soldiers who were evacuated there before a nuke was set off. And now... the loss of a woman who had been a part of their community.

MSNBC was the first to report on the US' official response from the state department.
"We have recieved word, that one of Japan's finest detectives, and the mother of a new generation of Novas, has passed at 1:47am Tokyo time... From the President and the staff at the State Department we extend our condolences of yet another blow to their nation.

Tonight we hold Mr. Hideyoshi and his children in our prayers."

Similar condolences were lodged by multiple nations. The Prime Minister stayed quiet, stating in a one sentence response. "We have suffered dearly these past 3 years, and this tragedy punctuates this decade of suffering for our nation."

July 2, 2013

9 AM

There was a knock at the Hideyoshi Estate...

The number of people who could get onto his property was very small, and within perhaps the safest room in the nation, Ryu sighed. He knew it would come to this.

Ryu answered the door, greeting the Director. "I have expected you. Come inside."

The director entered and the door was locked behind them. She was shown down to the nursery, and saw the Real Ryu, seated as was his habit amongst his sleeping children.

"Good morning Director, what do I owe this visit to, today?"

Note to Naoko
After Long posts again you may post.

She adjusted her glasses. Wearing a black armband out of respect. She knelt down to look closer at the children. "Should count ourselves fortunate none of them have the same issues that Naomi had in regards to food choices. Even the most feline looking of them."

She looked up at the towering mountain of a tiger-man. "They can consume formula, as directed." She shook her head. "She looked so ready to return to duty before her labor started... in a way she couldn't rest. I think that partially is what did her in."

"I should have ordered her to stay here during the Mexico relief effort!" She trembled. "Just a few months in and I've cost us the life of one of the best agents we had, Ryu."

"I... I'm sorry.. this is my responsibility."

"It was her choice." He looked at her. "We have the medical staff in the guest rooms. At least we can isolate my home more easily than the Campus." The choice to move was due to security, and with several copies of Long on duty as guards, it was more likely that a war would be launched from the home. Still the media was outside the large walls and gates, and Naoko had her place there of course.

Ryu set down a small card. "She sent this, Director."

He laid down a small card.

It read

"Cat Detective Rests,

Foes mourn worthy opponents

No War waged this day."

It was in flawless hand written Kanji, with a Russian Translation as well.

"A day of peace, At least we get that much."

"Son of a bitch..." The Director said. Then a thought crossed her mind. "Then I am glad to report you will soon have a new soldier to join you. Well she had been watching you guys for a while."

She closed the blinds on the window before turning back around. "Kamiko is returning to Department Zero after her time with the guard detail for the Prime Minister and the Emperor. Once she heard about Naomi's passing she rushed to D0 headquarters. Something's changed in the woman."

She sat in a chair. She knew it wasn't Naomi's or Ryu's. "Also, the DSA has sent two of their agents, well, one and her apprentice, to help with anything you may need."

She sighed. "I wager the funeral you will have in Naomi's home town will be private, but more and more it seems there will be a state affair here in Tokyo as well before hand... At least from what I am hearing from the Prime Minister. It's being logged for July 7th... of course as Naomi is being cremated, this should not be much of an issue in terms of time. Of course to have Naomi's ashes present for the affair would be your choice, of course."

She adjusted her blazer, looking at her smart phone. "Seems the DSA agents will be arriving shortly. Also... Kamiko is going to be here shortly as well."

She sighed. "It is going to be busy for a while, I wager."

note
Naoko is free to post at the soonest convenience once Long posts.

Ryu nodded. "She had friends in DSA, they are welcome for the service, but I'm sure they have responsibilities to tend to at home. Mexico City is recovering thanks to the efforts of the US and the rest of the world, I would not detain them here when so many more can benefit their work."

He sighed. "Is Kamiko ready for active field duty again? Her last Psych Report six months ago made me wonder. She was Marginal then, but cleared anyway. What has changed?"

one of the Tiny infants was awake, one of the Twin girls, the one who carried her mother's name, likely awoken by the utterance of her mother's name. She grasped at Ryu's tail which he used to stroke her, allowing her to feel the warmth of her father. "She knows her name already...."

"According to her latest evaluation, she's alot more stable and functional than before. Though we might have issues getting her to talk"

Naoko enters the room, her fingers fiddling as if she's typing something in the air. She looks like she hasn't slept in three days.

"Good Morning" She said very robotically.

Ryu looked at his Adopted daughter. He'd told her what happened when he came home. "Fair enough, Naoko, We will play it all by ear. I want you to continue monitoring things. I cannot handle a loose canon right now."

He looked at the Director. "I don't like State turning this into a big to-do, but I have no choice, do I? Short of doing it myself."

The director sighed. "It was more the demand of the people... the Prime Minister has been strangely quiet in regards to this. The state funeral was more of an appeasement. If it was you, I wouldn't be shocked to see the PM decide to have a month of mourning, everyone in black and all the melodrama... I think some of that comes from Miss Hideyoshi bringing quite a scandal to his party. Only thing that stopped it from seeing the PM resign is his undersecretary committed suicide rather than appear in a inquiry."

"No wonder our budget has been.. cut a little since the previous administration. Then again the PM is on the way out the scandal and his dragging his heels in this matter has only started the process in a change of management at the Diet."

"If anything... Naomi passing stirred a big pot."

She looked over to Naoko. "Dammit girl, get some sleep when you can... why have you been up this long anyways?"

Her exacerbated expression melted when the Daughter now named Naomi cried. The Director walked over, taking care to comfort her. "It's odd... not all of these children look the same. Some like you, Ryu, some like Naomi but these two... they look quite human... sans the cat ears and tail."

She carefully cradled the young Naomi in her arms. Gently returning her once she had calmed. "I... spoke to Miss Hideyoshi's therapist... she will make the contents of her diary availiable to you."

She starts to walk out. "I should go... the matters of statecraft I'll handle. The former director sends her condolences. She'll probably stop in from the Ministry of Metahuman Welfare. They've closed down for the duration."

"And... I am going to need you more in the future, Ryu." She points to the note. "All of us will at some point."

The director walked out quietly, heading outside then to the throngs of reporters from the domestic and foreign press.

He Nodded. "Give me as much time as you can." He looked at her, and resisted the urge to take his daughter from her. "I want it crystal clear, the Entire world can go to hell, what matters to me most are these five children."

His gaze was like the cold flame of a neutron star in space. "I will protect them first, then Tokyo and Japan. If that is going to be an issue, then you had best speak up right now."

Naoko is silent for the next couple minutes. She sits down. Her hands still typing away. She looks over at Ryu and the younger Naomi

"Ryu. Is there anything I can get you or the kids?"

It's almost painfully Obvious Naoko is trying to distract herself.

"Be here, with us Naoko. You're their only other family, now." He smiled and his tail moved up, coiling around her wrist softly. "Hold her, Naoko, she loves to be held it seems." It was as gentle an invitation as he could make. Distracting her wasn't what he needed, he needed her focused on her siblings, as he was.

Naoko gets up and walks towards Ryu and the baby. She gently takes Naomi

"Y-yeah. You're right. I can't be like this, Ryu. Ms Minami wouldn't want that"

She said gently tickling Naomi the Second's nose.

"Don't worry, you're big sis is fine. I've got you."

Archived