Pacific Rim

Somebody's gotta nitpick so I'll do it. How is it when they have the ability to build hundred foot tall supermechs with plasma cannons some of the most devastating weaponry science and engineering can bring to bear is GIANT FISTS AND SWORDS!!!

(btw, spoiler alert - There are giant fists and swords in this movie)

You would think he would have learned to be more efficient and knowledgeable about his guns, being an assass- I mean... 00 Agent and all.

Bitch bitch Bond bitch bitch giant f'king swords moan bitch.

That said, as a WWE fan, watching a monster get flat out F-5'd was fairly epic.

(and for those who don't know what an F-5 is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deCCc4MW-MA)

I can't imagine getting anything else than a quality flick from Guillermo Del Toro, at least for now. (It's anyone's guess if he'll flop 20-30 years from now, but I suspect/hope that he'll age well as a director/producer.) Pacific Rim definitely delivered on that AFAICT, & I'll definitely be putting the DVD on my "Must Buy" list.

BTW, I may be dating myself here, but did anyone else experience a flashback to those old Shogun Warriors toys they had in the late 70s-early 80s or so? That definitely was the seed from which my liking of mecha developed. Seeing Robotech anime on UHF TV later on acted as fertilizer, & I was hooked from there onwards. Howsabout you folks?

EDIT: Sorry about that, I keep mixing up Guillermo & Benicio del Toro for some unknown reason.

yeah, I have the first part of Robotech on Beta..... alot of it signed by several of the voice actors.... and yeah i have several of the old Shogun Warriors figures.... they're stupidly expensive these days.

yeah i have several of the old Shogun Warriors figures.... they're stupidly expensive these days.

Lucky stiff, I only had second-hand Shogun Warrior exposure as a kid - one of my friends was wealthier than myself & had a couple back when they were much cheaper. Too bad for him, his folks tossed them in a Goodwill resale bin one year when he was at summer camp. I wonder if he ever called them out on that stupid move? :lol:

Dang, some people just have no idea about item collectability, do they? At least I had the excuse of being a little kid and actually wanting to play with those Star Wars & Tron toys instead of keeping them in pristine mint condition.

Anyhoo, let's drag this a bit closer to the original topic. Assuming that there would be the required skill/resources/etc. in the Trinity setting, how would Pacific Rim-caliber Jaegers be statted out?

(I suppose they *could* be built in an Aberrant setting, but AFAIK most nova threats would make very hard targets for a Jaeger.)

Opinions & wild guesses are welcome, natch.

Once again, I am destined to be Mr. Unpopular. :(

I won't go into details or rant or rave as has been my wont in the past. People become personally invested in things they like, so it's natural that they take it personally when those things are criticized or attacked. I don't mean it personally. I like pretty much everyone on this board, and I don't judge anyone because of what they like or don't like...I have no cause to, and it would be the height of hypocrisy for me to do so.

I really disliked this movie a lot though.

I don't want to argue or fight about it. I have a long laundry list of reasons why I feel this way, but none of it need be relevant. I am only even saying this in the first place because I wonder if there may be others on this board who feel the same way. If so, you are not alone.

That's all I wanted to say. Carry on. :)

Yeah, but I have in the past, in my vehemence (and love of melodrama), taken things a bit far in my criticisms and alienated people.

And I figured if I erred on the side of caution this time, it would be better recieved.

So far that theory has played itself out according to predictions. :)

Yeah, but I have in the past, in my vehemence (and love of melodrama), taken things a bit far in my criticisms and alienated people.

And I figured if I erred on the side of caution this time, it would be better recieved.

I suddenly feel outraged and contrary ... damn you Max!

Ehh, it's no big deal AFAICT. "One Size Fits All" never has been true, no matter how one tries to use that meme. If that actually was true, I'd have made the metaplot much harder to avoid/get rid of in my Aberrant fanbooks.

Yeah. It's not so much that I like or dislike something, it's the way I have gone about expressing my dislike.

I'm mostly just trying to turn over a new leaf, and be more diplomatic...while recognizing that in the past I've been unnecessarily confrontational about this sort of thing.

Archived