Aberrant: Mutant High - The Amorous Activation Period

Curtis Shane

Shortly after Night and Day at this point...

Curtis swallowed nervously as he approached the door. The requisite background research as recommended by Alex had been completed adequately to Curtis' understanding. All the usual structures of relationships or at least the attempt at such now led to this point.

Well, Caitlin had been friendly for certain, but would she display any interest in his advances? Curtis had no doubt the similarities to his sister, the sheer vibrancy and the... lure of her appearance had him hooked. But this was the sort of thing he'd never considered himself initiating, and prognoses were not on the face of it, promising.

But no hypothesis could not be confirmed without testing, Curtis reminded himself of the basic scientific procedure, and confidence boosted in that manner, knocked at the door to Caitlin's room.

• 4 weeks later...

Not having to share a room with someone else has its perks, Caitlin mused as she lay on her coverlet, admiring the trailing vines of the Philodendron hederaceum oxycardium and Epipremnum aureum that had, over the last few weeks, slowly begun creeping along the grid of slender ropes she'd stretched across the ceiling. Otherwise, her room remained relatively spartan, still absent the little touches of home or personal identity that most of the other students had accumulated. Maybe something with flowers? she thought, pursing her lips as she considered her next botanical acquisition. The two houseplants she'd gotten were hardy and easy to care for, and they'd grown beyond her expectations; apparently her mother's green thumb had rubbed off on her. She smiled at that, then squeezed her eyes shut as if to block out the memory. No point thinking about the past, Caitlin.

The sharp, staccato knock sent her bolt upright in surprise. Her infamous temper tended to keep visitors at bay, so unless someone had gotten to her room by mistake...

With a sigh, the redhead rolled off the bed, stretched, and meandered over to the door. She turned the knob, fully expecting to have to direct someone to Sonja's room, or Kia's.

"All right, what do you-" Bright green eyes widened slightly, blinking at the sight of her former tutor standing in the hall outside. "Oh, ah, Curtis. Hi. Is, ah, everything okay?"

"Yes, there's nothing wrong with me." Curtis replied, swallowing and already sweating like a pig. "I was wondering, would you be interested in -" No, Curtis cut himself off there, causing a hiccup and pause in the conversation. Interest was too open to negative forms. "Would you like to-"

Curtis cut himself off again. Nomeclature was so important here and now! Dating (or a date) would suggest a longer commitment expectation. Don't presume too much.

Any socially normal teen would roll their eyes at the waste of time and focus - it really didn't matter this much - but socially normal teens tended to not be mutants and were most certainly not on Curtis' brainpower scale, so the point never really got across even through online articles.

Curtis was flushing just the way Caitlin had seen him do before, when she'd unveiled her risque costume to the new Sentinels. "Caitlin, would you like to go out with me?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Uhhh," Caitlin droned eloquently, her bewilderment writ plain on her face. "Go out with you? Like... on a date?" It was not her finest moment, but he'd caught her completely off-guard. Sure, she liked Curtis, but did she like him? Where was the distinction? What would they talk about? Where would they even go? What if that wasn't what he meant, and he was just trying to help her get back into the habit of doing things with people again?

Suddenly, Curtis looked a little off-guard, or rather anxiously perplexed. "Was that not the applicable slang? Alex said-- well, in sum yes. I would like to go on a date with you." Honestly, he'd expected outright rejection in some form or other, or something more clear if assent or positive inclination was in Caitlin's mind. Her being as confused as him had not been covered in the possibilities to prepare for.

Alex, why wouldn't you offer more comprehensive advice? "I will provide specifics of my proposal if requested." Yeah, he definitely sounded like a Vulcan, ironically on the far end away from Pon Farr.

"All right," the redhead replied quickly, then added, "I mean, 'all right,' as in, 'okay.' I think?" Grimacing at her inability to hold a simple conversation, Caitlin sighed and slumped against the door frame. "Okay," she tried again, exhaling with a rueful smile. "Let me start over. Hey, Curtis. It's been a while. Sure, going out sounds like fun, and since I can't remember the last time I had any, I'm game. What did you have in mind?"

She assented! The sudden rush of blood to Curtis' head made his eyes bug out momentarily, and a brief sequence of repetition and stumbling over the word 'well' before he got his act together. This would work. He had applied the data to establish an obvious and undoubtedly worthwhile destination.

"There's plenty of forested sections of the Adirondack park... prepare lunch or afternoon meals, talk, walk, spend a few hours. Show me what kinds of amusement could be achieved out in the 'great outdoors'?" Honestly, Curtis had his doubts, but Caitlin should be given a chance, and it was for her, after all.

His cyberkinesis wasn't quite as limited as technological Wi-Fi if worst came to worst...

• 1 month later...

Everything sounded good- ideal, even- until Curtis had to go and be, well, Curtis.

"Sooo..." A pair of tiny furrows appeared between Caitlin's knitted brows as she pursed her lips. "Let me be sure I've got this right. You... asked me out." A nod of confirmation. "On a date." Another nod. Curtis began to wonder if he'd missed something, judging by the slow, halting cadence of the redhead's speech. He was sure he'd been fairly clear in his description, but Caitlin wasn't precisely on-par with his mental faculties. "...So that I can entertain you outside."

"Yes." Curtis responded, in no way aware of the implied content of his wording. "You previously stated strongly about the psychological benefits of and personal interest in wilderness activities. This way, you have a chance to demonstrate it and help me understand. Is there some miscommunication occuring?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Ohhh, wow," the redhead breathed expressively. She wasn't sure whether she should laugh or cry at this point- brainiac though he might be, Curtis clearly had not received much of a social education. Given the awkward situation, though, Caitlin decided to take pity on him; that he'd never actually gone on a date before was basically a foregone conclusion.

"Okay. So, ah, usually, that's not really how a date works. The person doing the asking, the... well," she shrugged, "the pursuing, is the one who's trying to make it fun for the one they're after. Asking someone on a date, and then telling them they'll be spending their time trying to entertain you and-" How would he phrase it? Oh! "-validate or invalidate a hypothesis is kind of a slap in the face. If you're asking someone out, it's usually because you want to spend time with them, or learn more about them, or get them to also be interested in you, which generally means you're responsible for showing them a good time. Not the other way 'round."

Curtis' expression didn't seem to change much, making Caitlin wonder if it was impossible for him to comprehend her, when Curtis responded: "....But I chose that location because I knew you would enjoy it greatly. The hypothesis on my part would just happen to be simultaneously tested as a conseq--- sorry."

The genius started to actually shrink and get embarrassed. He had already come off too much - cut losses now. "Sorry... shouldn't have bothered you. My request is now defunct." Curtis started to turn and go.

Archived