[OW Fiction - Muscle Theory]

Jillian Johnson

The world had become a strange place. It was hard to put a finger on what exactly made it so strange because there were too many things that had long abandoned the label normal.

Jill actually liked it and got downright thrilled when she found out about her neighbors secret superpowers. Dr. Julian Kell - a nice man. Smart type, nerdy. She liked him and he was never impolite. If she thought about it, it seemed he was very hard trying to lead a normal life. Very much unlike her. They couldn‘t have been more on the opposite sides of the scale.

Julian was a tall, lanky guy with an odd taste of fashion and unusual hobbies. Like playing boardgames or memorizing all lines of Captain Picard from that Star Trek TV show. Such things had little relavance to her but it didn‘t threaten her way of living and it wasn‘t anything that bothered her much. He had a Doctor‘s degree and gave lessons at the UCLA which did impress her.

Jill on the other hand... Jill‘s only hobby was working out. She had started lifting weights when she was around 18 acquiring a taste for the sport that turned downright into an addiction. Within a few years she started competing and won all the local championships until she decided to go pro about a year ago.

Things were picking up and she was slowly making a living out of her hobby which was difficult enough given the rather small niche the sport covered. There was lots of prejudice towards her sport and chosen way of life which but she didn‘t care much about what other people thought. She wanted to be successful and fortunately she had the necessary dedication to get there.

At 25 Jill had an impressive body and she was aiming for the heavy weights class next year, trying to add more bulk to her already massive size. Bodybuilder, especially female bodybuilder automatically draw attention towards them. People just stare or stop talking for a moment, as if they saw an alien. Jill enjoyed those moments the most and had gotten a habit of staring back and making funny comments to reverse the situation.

Julian never ever treated her like that. Maybe he didn‘t care (she doubted that) or maybe he was gay (she wasn‘t entirely sure about that) or maybe because he had superpowers... (which he tried to keep secret). She didn‘t feel like exposing him because he was such a nice guy and always looking after her, although she really didn‘t need anyone.

Not having much friends it was nice having a neighbor who was genuinely friendly and forthcoming - especially since her world turned upside down a few days ago...

She had just walked up the stairs to her apartment staring for a few seconds at Julian‘s door. It was still difficult for her to grasp what had actually happened. At least she had managed to get things a little under control but it looked like after she saved her dad from being crushed under tons of steel her body was still under shock for the lack of a better word. Actually she felt fantastic - powerful and healthier than ever. Still things were not how they were supposed to be and he was the only person she knew who could provide some answers - she hoped.

Walking over to his door she carefully knocked on it making more noise and probably doing some damage to the frame without intention. Maybe knocking wasn‘t the best idea...

"Julian? Are you home? - I need... I need your help.“, she asked staring at the door hopefully.

Dr. Kell, seated at his computer, let out an exasperated sigh. "It would be her." He'd finally gotten time for the new patch, and had just completed his MASTER configuration of the new Quickdraw mech, and settled in for a solid night of decimating enemy teams. The rapping at the door actually shook the frame, and he shook his head. "One moment." That woman is Entirely too strong. Her knocking had shifted everything, something he'd spoken to her about before.

He opened the door, and was quite unprepared for the sight of Jill, standing there, looking like A not-green She-Hulk. His brain ran through a dozen scenarios, and discarded most of them as fast, and he nodded. Scientific curiosity ended up winning out. "Come in, carefully." He opened the door and moved from her path.

This is new.

She smiled briefly at him, glad that he invited her in. Normally he was taller than her but right now she was surely half an head taller than him. She was wearing a stretchy black tank top and matching long sweat pants which were stretched taught over her enormous thighs. If she sat down the fabric would certainly surrender. Only now she realized she was taller than him and it showed in her surprised expression. "I'm taller than you.", she stated flatly not quiet sure where she actually wanted to go with that question. Normally he would stand taller than her, with his 6'2" but Jill was a foot taller than she normally was, topping at 6'7" at the moment and her already impressive muscles had grown considerably. Her exposed arms and bare midriff were making a strong statement, showing off extremely defined shape and form.

"I'm sorry - I think I'm in trouble.", she apologized carefully trying not to get too close to anything that she might accidentally damage without wanting. "Can you help me, Julian?", she actually wasn't expecting a 'no' from him but she did ask anyway. Her eyes were only briefly looking at him, almost as if she was distracted by something or looking for something. Obviously she didn't found it, which made her somewhat less patient and seem a bit edgy.

"That remains to be seen, so far, but I do believe it is worth trying. "Please come in." He allowed her into his domicile, and promptly closed and locked the door behind her. He nodded. "You may take a seat where you like, or since your eyes are wandering, and narrowed in such a way to indicate you're searching for something, the Mirror is over on the other side of the Central Support column." She was a sight to be sure, definitely unique and a far cry from what he'd be come "used to" seeing. "Please remain calm, that is imperative. Would you like some tea? I can make some hot, or used the cold tea I myself like."

It was how he was raised, offering a guest a comforting beverage. "Once you've satisfied your curiosity regarding your state, perhaps you can elaborate what situation befell you that may have caused such a change."

He didn't drone, however you could definitely tell his scientific leanings in the way he spoke, as he headed into the kitchen area, fixing a drink for himself, and potentially her.

She looked at Julian for a moment unable to decide if she wanted to see herself in the mirror or answer his question. "Ahm... tea is fine, thanks.", she managed to say.

It had been just a few days and she had stayed over at her father's house trying to avoid the public the first days after the incident. She still barely remembered it. It was clouded by a foggy haze. She remembered lifting something incredibly heavy off her dad - like a steel crane or some kind of construction at the site he worked. Then people stared at her incredulously which confused and scared her. She simply ran away at first. When she heard the sirens she decided to follow the ambulance to the hospital and made sure her father would be ok.

This was the first day she came back home after spending 2 days in her Dad's trailer. No one seemed to be looking for her but she was convinced it was only a question of time before people had traced her to her home address.

"I think I blew my attempt at a secret identity. Lots of people saw what I did - I don't know what to do. I hid as best as I could but... I ran out of ideas. Can you help me? Please?", she wasn't really scared but the situation was seemed to overburden her. Something he hasn't noticed before about her.

"Jillian There is no hiding the changes in you to any who previously knew you. "You're a foot taller than you were, as well as a cursory evaluation would say your muscle mass increased by at least forty percent. You had excellent tone and definition before, but now I'd go so far as to say you're "Totally Ripped" to use the common vernacular." He was going for the cold tea he preferred for them both.

"I will do what I can to aid you yes, but I know little of actually crafting a new identity for you. If you would describe to me what what happened, where were you, why were you there, what were you doing?"

He looked at her "The news has reported nothing on this to my knowledge, though I've not watched today."

Julian's words just made her more excited - in a good way. She knew she had changed but had rationalized it to some degree but she was slowly taking in what she felt.

"I... I wanted to visit my dad at his work before heading over to the gym and then I saw one of the steel girders give away and one side of the construction seemed to cave in and bury my dad underneath it. So I ran to him and lifted it off so he could escape from being squished like a bug. The guys from the site just stared at me and I felt an immense rush running through my veins. My heart was beating like never before - I suppose it was the adrenaline but then I got scared and I fled. I have no idea why - I was so confused.", she barely took a sip from her tea as she explained everything.

"I think I was actually taller than now when I did that. I broke one of the axis of my dad's trailer wagon when I entered it. I felt tired and exhausted and I suppose I just slept. When I woke up I was very much like now. That's a day ago... I think.", she looked down her right arm and flexed it making it balloon up easily reaching 20 inches. "Wow... that's amazing." she smiled.

"I feel... powerful", her smile grew even wider but then she suddenly frowned. "... and hungry.", Jill just gave him a look, her eyes asking the obvious.

he nodded succinctly and speared her with a level gaze. "Leaving was probably best, as they could have potentially blamed you for the accident, even though you were not the cause. " If you would like something to eat, there's plenty for sandwiches, as well as half a tray of lasagna I made last night. Help yourself." She'd done this before, and he didn't mind, as it tended to go to waste otherwise.

He meanwhile did several searches to find any media coverage, as well as the hospital her father was in. "Your increased hunger is due to muscle burning more fuel, I would expect your food budget to increase a fair bit, and perhaps once we have a better understanding of your abilities, we can test if it varies, depending on how much you utilize them, as mine does."

Jill nodded at him with a big smile and indulged herself finishing off the Lasagna and a good half dozen Sandwiches. As she ate she found herself relaxing for the first time since the accident happened and with it she shrank back to her normal size without noticing. She felt good and comfortable and while she was back to her 5'7" she retained her impossible muscle definition.

"Wow, that felt good. I really needed some nutrition. Thank you Julian.", she stowed the dirty dishes away and sighed as if a great weight was lifted off her shoulders. At least for now everything was ok. Julian would help her and from here she could start making plans to move on and find out what actually happened to her. Maybe it was just a temporary effect? She had no idea how or what triggered her dramatic transformation and she certainly would be disappointed if it was just a one time experience even though the event it caused was certainly nothing she wanted to relive again.

As she finished the dishes and got her thoughts sorted out she found herself next to the full length mirror Julian had mentioned and saw herself for the first time since the change. Even though she was back to her normal size her muscles were not quiet as back to normal as used to be. She must've added a good 10 to 20 pounds of solid muscle mass with a definition that was unreal - as if she was cut out of marble or made of steel. Even as relaxed as she stood right now her abs were showing more prominent and defined - and it didn't stop there. She turned around, trying to get a good look at herself from different angles and could tell her entire body had acquired an unbelievable 'contest shape' look which was so imperative to achieve for a successful career.

She would probably spent the next hour posing in front of the mirror, forgetting the world around her...

For his part, Julian let her go, turning around to see her admiring her new form. He too noted she had shrunk down, yet maintained her general appearance. After nearly an hour he cleared his throat to break her reverie. "Well it does seem that you do not always maintain a large size. that's good, as it will let you hide your powers, if you wish, and not draw undue attention."

He nodded. "Your Father is due to be discharged tomorrow."

"I suppose now it comes down to what you wish to do. Learning to control your abilities is a must, as well as learning your limits. That said, to what end will you put them to use?"

Julian could tell that she was more concerned, at least for the very moment that she wasn't as big as when they met and that she barely registered what he mentioned about her Father. It only slowly sank into her cognitive thought process and instantly she felt guilty for being so ignorant.

,, ,, ,,
,, ,,

"I suppose now it comes down to what you wish to do. Learning to control your abilities is a must, as well as learning your limits. That said, to what end will you put them to use?"

"Oh...?", that question came entirely unexpected. Powers? What powers? He could tell that she was struggling with the implication of his question.

"You mean superpowers? I haven't thought much about it... the last 2 days have been rather crazy and I kinda...", her voice trailed off for a moment as she got flashbacks of what happened in the last 48 hours. She did lift things she shouldn't be able to... and she almost destroyed her Fathers trailer but not because she was using too much force. No, she almost broke the axles of it because she was too heavy. Much heavier than she ought to be.

"I'm not really sure. Maybe they're gone now?", she looked down at herself and was noticing the difference now. When she arrived Julian had to look up at her, now the situation was reversed. Or with other words, back to normal. But she still had much bigger muscles than she used to and she felt fantastic.

"What should I do?"

"Well I believe you should think about it, especially if you intend to be a public citizen. There are all sort of legal ramifications, things that make me wish this were more like comic books, as there are some allowances for heroes. Here in the real world, there's alot more to consider before altruism."

"I highly doubt they are gone, probably, it is just that you are "at rest" and your powers require some stimulus perhaps, to activate. It could be any number of things. It is actually good, in that you can pass incognito as it were. A woman of your height, even with your build isn't too unbelievable. One who is eight feet tall and weighs over 200 kg, however, well that becomes rather obvious, don't you think?"

"I think you should think carefully about things and not rush anything." There was a smirk there, considering he was a very fast speedster himself.

"I don't have the money for anything of this. I can hardly afford my current life style.", she sounded somewhat defeated. "I honestly don't know what to do. I could rob a bank now, I suppose but I guess you're going to talk me out of that anyway."

She sighed blowing a strand of blonde hair off her face. "How did you find out about your powers? What happened when you first... well, you know what I mean?", she didn't felt like dwelling much on her own situation. There was too much trouble around her already. Her Dad barely survived an otherwise fatal accident and she heroically came to the rescue but that was only reacting to an extreme situation. It was only natural to try and save her father.

But why was this happening? She couldn't find an answer to that question.

"Yes I would. That might lead to short term gains but long term negative reprecussions."

He considered her question. "I had to relearn how to do things at normal speed, friction was a problem. Remember when I kept setting off the smoke alarm?" He shrugged, and sat back with his tea. "I believe you can do great good, once we know what your abilities are, what triggers them and what their limits are. Obviously we'd need to leave here to do any sort of testing, head out somewhere secluded, away from prying eyes. That was why I went on vacation those two weeks." He smiled softly, it had been a sort of fun, learning about his new abilities, but in the same way he knew it aroused many suspicions, as he wasn't known for taking vacation.

"If money is an issue, I can help of course. I only ask that if there are applications of the study of your power to the betterment of mankind at some future date I be properly credited with aiding you." From anyone else that may have sounded shady, but he was a scientist, and his expertise wasn't free. As it was most would say he was generous, as he was putting her privacy first, and not actually pushing her towards something.

As he spoke he could tell that she was slowly getting suspicious, as if something he said rubbed her the wrong way.

"You know what I just realized?", she slowly turned around keeping the door in her field of view. "What if you knew about this all the time? What if... you are some crazy scientist belonging to some three letter agency who was assigned to watch me and set things up so I would manifest?"

He could tell by her voice that she didn't want to believe what she was saying but she was definitely scared all of a sudden.

"Don't tell me you knew anything about...", she shook her head and swallowed hard not wanting to see him that she was about to cry.

"I'm sorry. It's just... nothing is making sense anymore. I don't know whom to trust. I... need help, but don't... I mean, 'study me' - that sounds as if you want to cut me open and try to figure me out. It scares me."

She could probably break every bone in his body with the tiniest of effort but even though she looked physically imposing she was still vulnerable - maybe not much physically, but emotionally.

"Julian - I'm not going to let anyone experiment on me."

He looked at her. "Now you know i don't belong to any government agency, Jill, I am quite happy as Physicist at UCLA." He studied her, the tension generated by her fear was palpable.

"Of course i don't want to cut you open and study you. Vivisection is the worst way to learn about living things, and entirely beyond my interests. When I say study you, it refers more to how you can affect the rest of the world, how you can violate some physical principles, things of that nature. A few stick on electrodes at most, no needles, no nothing lasting."

"I'm not proposing to expiriment on you, I merely want, at this time, to discover what it is you Can do, what you cannot do, and how to make control of these abilities easier for you." His delivery was deapan, as though a science teacher was speaking which was true. Still, his eyes showed no guile, in that he was unique, he didn't lie, he just didn't always tell all he knew.

"That's why the choice in the end is yours Jill. I cannot and will not make you do anything. In the name of our friendship, i do just wish to help you, as I have some experience with learning to adapt to powers beyond normal human norms."

"I trust you...", she said after staring at him for what seemed an eternity. Every muscle was tensed and her breathing had gotten faster. She could feel her heart almost pound in her chest pumping precious blood through her veins while her adrenaline gland produced a cocktail which would've probably killed every normal human being.

Julian had always been honest to her as far as she was concerned. Maybe he didn't tell her everything he knew but he didn't lie or to put it in a different perspective, he wasn't dishonest. He certainly had his secrets and sometimes she wondered why an educated and respected Doctor would even waste his time with someone like her. Actually they had nothing in common except for the same address and... that was actually it.

But today that changed. She had known about his secret for a while and that made her only feel more insignificant next to him. He had been smart, intelligent and had superpowers. How awesome was that?

Now the odd "couple" from the 3rd floor had far more in common than anyone would expect.

She finally smiled at him while she tried to 'bleed' off the excess adrenaline in her system. Her breathing got slower, steadier and the tension in her muscles slowly relaxed.

"I'm sorry for going all mental on you. I'll make it up to you, somehow. I promise."

"You have been under alot of stress, Jill it is alright. I realize I sometimes use terminology I shouldn't." He offered her what passed for a smile. "It will take time to get used to things, and I think what you may need most right now, is a good relaxing shower, and then a nights rest in your own bed." In the morning we can check on your father, and whatever else needs doing."

"I'm not tired.", she mentioned with a wane smile. "But I suppose you're right. I should... slow down and get some perspective."

She took another deep breath, stretching the elastic material of her clothes to their limits but miraculously they didn't break. She looked down to the floor collecting her thoughts and then looked up straight into Julian's eyes.

"Would you accompany me to my dad? I'm not sure if I should be alone outside right now.", she took another pause before she phrased her next question, "And if everything is fine we could... well, whatever you were suggesting we could do to see what's happened to me.", the extra large sized female bodybuilder gave him her nicest smile and hoped for the best.

I'd actually loved to test my limits right now but maybe I'm being too demanding... Wait. What if he can read your thoughts? Can you read my thoughts?

She gave him another look waiting for some reaction on his behalf that would give away another secret. Or maybe she watched too many superhero movies in her youth? Her smile remained as she waited for a response.

He looked at her and was inwardly exasperated. Jill had little patience, but he could understand being excited about her powers. "Alright, we can go see him. You should change of course, after a shower first though."

He was trying nicely to tell her she smelled like 3 day used gym socks. "You;ll feel abit relaxed afterwards I'm sure, and trust me, that's a good thing."

"I'll drive us there, the hospital isn't all that far from here, but enough that I prefer we don't walk."

• 2 weeks later...

"Fine.", she responded nodding at him. She hesitated for a short moment but then she suddenly reached out to him and gave him a gentle hug.

"Thank you, Julian", she whispered in his ear and left his apartment quickly. He was definitely right about one thing - she really needed a shower.

Once in her room she searched through her apartment trying to find out if someone had been there during the last two days. But everything seemed the way she remembered and she should probably stop thinking that everyone was out to get her. I'm getting paranoid...

After taking a shower and spending another 30 minutes admiring her new, improved shape she found that even though she had added considerable mass she didn't feel as super strong as she felt a day ago. She tried lifting her couch in the living room and it did pose a challenge to her and she decided against going the full way in order to avoid getting hurt. Maybe it was just temporary? She wondered, a bit disappointed. Her muscles were much larger but throwing cars and bending steel was probably out of reach.

But something had happened to her, there was no doubt about it. She felt healthier and stronger than ever. Even after two days of little sleep and almost no food she felt fantastic. Especially after Julian had given her some very craved food.

Going through her clothes she was happy that everything she owned was already in the oversized category only that now some shirts and pants were close to getting tight. A quick rundown with her measure band gave her an impression of her new stats. 20 inch biceps, 30 inch quads, 20 inch calves...

Those were huge numbers and an insane improvement compared to her former stats which were impressive, too. She now had officially entered the freak zone but she couldn't help but smile at herself. She didn't care what others thought about her muscles. She had always been in the 'bigger-is-better' faction. She hoped she wouldn't shrink back to her 'normal' size after having lost height over the last two days. Julian would find an explanation for all this and if not she was sure he would look for it until he found it.

"Alright - now lets pay Dad a visit.", she said to herself admiring her reflection in her full sized mirror. She was wearing a black lycra tank top and matching black hot pants. Over the tank top she tossed an oversized sleeveless white shirt which was cut short to expose her abs. A last look in the mirror to make sure everything was just the way she wanted and then she left with Julian.

The hospital visit ended up shorter than she had wanted. Her Dad was stabilized but still in a coma. From what she understood and Julian explained to her afterwards anything but short of a miracle must've saved his life. Fortunately his spine was not damaged and most of his injuries were broken bones and minimum internal bleeding. Her Dad would survive this and given his stubbornness he would fly through rehab since he had to get back to work. That thought gave Jill some comfort and since she couldn't do much right now but wait she was happy that Julian had offered to spend the next days with him and see what all this superpowers-stuff was about.

Archived