Open World M&M 3e

Dave ST

What was discussed in chat that seemed to have a favorable response is that superhumans have been slowly occurring in the world for the past century or so, intensifying in numbers and power as things have gone along. By now, and I mean today-times, some areas of science and whatnot have been pushed forward (basically whatever we want to tweak, a push for space exploration being the most talked about so far), and now supers are simply a part of life in the modern age.

As for aliens, I dunno on that point. I think I'd prefer if Earth hasn't had any official 'first contact' yet, but an alien or half-alien backstory for a character would be okay. So, the fact that alien life exists might be general knowledge, but we're still figuring out how to reliably get to the next planet over, let alone making it out of the solar system, so we're not exactly blipping on the alien civilization radar yet.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I have so far:

Setting - Modern Era with a fairly high technology curve, this allows for supers to have 'super tech' like Tony Stark, who is decades ahead of his time because the man is brilliant. Supers and all sorts of strangness have been appearing for over the last century or so. Since the late 1800's. First contact hasn't happened yet, publicly, but alien exist and are visiting from time to time (or the government has a few for study). This allows alien or half alien characters (like Bastion and Watchwoman). I would think that, aside from the unusual oddity of Supers and their Villains and strange monsters from time to time, the public is largely unaware of the Gods themselves or the wefts in dimensional fabrics. That's not to say they don't know about the Gods... after all some of their representatives are probably publicly known, but obviously Zeus, Odin and Jesus aren't stopping by in our reality very often. When they do, no one knows. This means villainous Gods can be nemesis for other PCs, just not the 'boss' Gods.

Neutral Zone - An Island, somewhere. Owned by a very powerful super (meaning we don't mess with them) who has set up the equivalent of a resort exclusive to super powered people, including villains. His/Her word is law so there is no brawling, trouble making, etc... to break this law incurs the owners wrath and no one wants that (not even the Gods themselves). This allows for people to meet on even terms. The Island concept is under construction... ideas welcome.

Super University - A special school that has be designed to help people with super powers learn, understand, and use their powers responsibly. This idea is also under construction, but Max seems to have taken an interest in the concept. If he wishes to create it, write it up and share some ideas with us, it'd be appreciated. Also, thank you Mike for the suggestion. While the idea was not embraced by all of us, it has opened a few doors for several players who find the idea appealing for their PCs. That's what this is about, creating something all of us can enjoy.

Shaping up. Let's keep it going.

RE - Neutral Island; I think actually that this island isn't stationary. This super has built it to be mobile (when needed) and it stays in international waters at all times. Of course, he has declared it his nation, and enforces that pretty darn well. It should be like a resort with all the accommodations, with an artificial beachfront, lots of living space, and plenty of room to dock your sub or land your super-plane.

RE - Super University; I could see this place spawning things that other heroes not involved directly with the university have to deal with. It an be a plot hook from a rogue AI going rampant or some portal experiment accident unleashing a swarm of extra-dimensional horrors or something.

Mala has volunteered to write up the island and it's owner. We'll see what she comes up with.

Personally I'd like a stationary island. I mean shit, if the dude is god like powerful... why worry about moving the thing? Besides who wants to fly around the Atlantic or Pacific looking for the thing?

I am running with Super-U. Anyone else who wants to help is welcome.

My character will be involved with it, student or perhaps faculty...though faculty might interfere with superheroing. :)

Anyway, I'll be designing it as an HQ, and anyone who wants a 'piece' of it can go in on the price with me. Moar soon!

Speaking of Aliens what about hidden races on earth? (Atlanteans, yeti people, cities of hyper intelligent giraffes)

I'd like to see some sort of agency (or series of agencies if they are nationally based) set up to "deal" with super humans and the crap that they cause. something akin to SHIELD or AEGIS from the Freedomverse.

Do we want to have some sort of human/superhuman conflict like in the Marvel X-books?

How about active hero teams in the world, do we want to rough a few out or leave it more vague?

Maybe the guy is a bit of a dick... ,,

But you're right, Mala has this on lock.

I would wager I can't contribute some setting thing if I'm not going to be an ST for this?

Well, it's been established that you'd prefer not to ST, and that's fine. However, all suggestions for setting will be considered based on the quality of the submission.

If people want a moving Island, then we'll have a moving island. When I say 'personally' I'm not saying 'this is how it's going to be' I'm just offering how I fell about it.

Well, this is a setting with much more oversight. But I think I should cool the brain down a bit an get a feel for the setting before I volunteer to be a ST. But I would like to contribute to the fluff once I got an idea.

I like fluff. IT's soft.

I'm going to bring in Dahlia as a bankroller for a world-wide superhero team. It was also discussed of one of her elder brothers being the superintendent or dean of the supers university (she has a large family with a history of superhuman capabilities).

I'm going to leave the Berganza family as large and open for people to make PCs with connections or for STs to use siblings, cousins, whatever, to set up heroes and villains to play with that have a direct tie in to focal points of the game.

Here's my first stab at the island idea. *braces for impact- uh, I mean, feedback* :D

Empyrea Archipelago

A small island archipelago created in the mid-Atlantic in 1876, the islands went mostly by the public for nearly a century. Rumors of a place, a second “Bermuda Triangle” began to circulate at the turn of the twentieth century, and by the mid ‘50’s it was known in the circle of the strange and superhuman as a place to go for information, sanctuary, or to meet a nemesis on neutral ground.

Empyrea was brought into the public eye in the aftermath of two teams of superhumans, one heroic and one villainous, decided to ignore the strict rule of neutrality imposed by the island’s ruler, Vis. Vis is believed to be a deity by the inhabitants of the island (now all natural-born inhabitants of the island) and rarely appears publically. A person at least capable of existing as a being a pure energy, Vis quickly destroyed both groups, killing all offending parties and reiterating its primary rule for those that come to Empyrea: no fighting.

Small infractions of the rule, generally drunken scraps where no one is hurt, are simply broken up by the Empyreans. Any scuffle that does result in injury will involve an investigation and whomever the Empyrean vareska (a mix of investigator, magistrate, and judge) determines is responsible for the violence will be sentences to a period of exile, ranging from at least one month to up to permanent exile. Premeditated violence results in either permanent exile if the injury was minor or the parties are involved are brought to the Empyrean Palace for Vis’ personal judgment. In only one case where offenders were brought to Vis were they allowed permanent exile, all others have never been seen again and are presumed dead.

The island chain itself was created by shifting one of the underwater peaks of the main ridgeline running through the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Vis shifted a lava vent to create an underground heating and geothermal network to power the islands and give them a lushly tropical, rainforest environment despite being well into the temperate zone. The buildings throughout the archipelago for public use are ultra-modern, taking full advantage of the resident super-brains and inventors that both visit and even immigrate to the island. There is a single commercial-grade airport on one of the larger islands, dozens of helipads, a large harbor, and designated “alternate travel” locations for people to fly, teleport, or swim to the islands.

Attempting to sneak onto the islands has become something of a game for the metahuman community, though so far no one has “won”; Empyrean ‘greeters’ are invariably waiting wherever the person attempts to get on the islands, even through teleportation. One attempt to use the lava flows and geothermal vents to enter the island was met by Vis itself and politely informed that another such “clever but foolish” attempt in the same vein would be seen as an attempt to invade the island. Although Vis itself has not declared the largest island as off-limits to visitors, the Empyrean natives themselves have made it quite clear that they consider the island sacred ground and do not want uninvited visitors on the island. While trespassing can’t earn the same exile as fighting does, trespassers find their time on the archipelago much less pleasant after they’ve annoyed the natives.

Empyrean nationals seem to be grab-bag of ethnicities from all over the world. Any skin-tone or facial features can be found, though the natives have created a unique culture that seems to have no basis on any particular culture around the world. Their belief is centered around adherence to the laws laid down by Vis, service to their god, service to their guests, and enjoying themselves along the way.

,, ,,

Vis

pre_1370420233__vis.jpg

,, ,,

Empyrea Island

pre_1370420520__empyrea.jpg

,, ,,

Empyrea Ocean Marina

pre_1370420403__empyrean_ocean_marina.jp

,, ,,

Empyrean Grand Towers, located in the Empyrea Archipelago

pre_1370420350__empyrean_grand_towers.jp

You hate Attractive and I feel you’ll be unfair.

I’ve reviewed all the material and I know that players love their pretty PCs. Using the benchmarks provided by the source material all I ask is decent explanations as to why you feel your PC is so pretty.

Black Canary (Pre 2, does not have Attractive)

Wonder Woman (Pre 6, Attractive 1)

Zatana (Pre 4, Attractive 1)

Catwoman (Pre 4, Attractive 1)

Cheetah (Pre 3, does not have Attractive)

Circe (Pre 4, Attractive 1)

Those are the highlights of the DC characters and all of them are drawn with the same lips, hips and tits. Granted you will not be making DC characters and this isn’t the DC universe, but they make for a great way to judge and assess how much is too much when it comes to players abusing the rules or playing a numbers game.

If you have a great reason why your PC is seven or ten times more attractive than a God… have at it. If you can’t or your reason is just an excuse, then please, go in a different direction.

I'd like to point out that Poison Ivy, Presence 5, and arguably the most capable seductress in the DCU, only has Attractive 1.

DCU Characters with Attractive 2?

Carol Ferris, A.k.a. Star Sapphire (Presence 3) wielder of the pink violet light of sex love

Starfire (presence 3)

Aside from a couple of 3rd and 4th tier characters (Looker, Phantom Lady) that's it.

Awesome everything Mala.

I'm not keen on the island being some impregnable place though. While it's cool that it has really good 'security' it's like the immortality hook... there should be some way to get on and off undetected. Running adventures where someone escapes or steals something and the heroes have to recover it would be a great hook, but the write up makes it impossible. Also, what if a Batman-ish PC actually needs to sneak onto the island?

Yar...there should be an underlying logic. If they use precognative senses to detect incoming presences, then Concealment against those senses could be utilized. Such concealment is probably difficult to procure, but not impossible.

In other news, Super U's mechanics are done. Can I locate it on the Island? It's a Gargantuan-sized campus, on Colossal grounds...so fairly big, if not a town unto itself. Is there room on the main island, or perhaps it's on a smaller island of its own nearby? Connected by a bridge perhaps?

What I would think is there are ways to sneak on the island, and Vis allows them when needed. He might keep the place neutral ground but he knows when to turn a blind eye.

But I would think certain islands and certain locations are considered quite more open than some sanctuary locations or where Vis calls home.

If you put the school on an impregnable island where no fighting is allowed, controlled by a being who doesn't need the help of supers for anything, adventures involving the school would be a bit bland.

Wouldn't you think?

If your Bastion-Mantis-Men escaped, Vis would simply solve the issue. I envision Vis' great power limited to the island it controls. So if the school is there, it would fall under it's domain making solving issues there quite simple.

What I would think is there are ways to sneak on the island, and Vis allows them when needed. He might keep the place neutral ground but he knows when to turn a blind eye.

Wah?

Why would Vis turn a blind eye to someone stealing something from it so it can turn around and have to request supers to get it back for it once the item has left the island? Why wouldn't it just stop the thief before he/she stole it to begin with?

... good point, if he is omniscient, then he wouldn't allow a theft in the first place.

Starting to see some flaws in this. I think Empyrea is too perfect. Vis comes off as a god who knows everything going on on the island, as well as the inhabitants. Yet we're to make stories about trouble on the island and some how make it plausible?

What I'm trying to say, is that if it's going to be "perfect" let it be perfect. It's a supernatural island chain ruled by an entity that's practically a god. Let it happen that way.

Well, my hope was that the island wouldn't necessarily be all those things...

But your point's taken. The school can be located anywhere. Spreading things out is wise.

Besides, a remote university makes no sense. Where do the students come from? Where do they go? Didn't think that through.

Thanks for the feedback!

Well, as it is a super setting in a modern time, I wouldn't be surprised if some super-genius made such a thing.

That sort of dove-tails into my question, how long have the classic "costumed supers" been around? As we're now establishing that superhumans have been around in increasingly greater number up to this point.

This was discussed in chat last night by myself and Mala and I wanna open the floor up for everyone else to put their to cents into the mix.

Character Slots

How many to start off? I considered a single slot until the game kicked off and we got some posts going. Mala feels that multiple characters (2 slots at start) would allow more versatility to us and grant us a larger beginning world because we'd have double the characters scattered through out the world.

Thoughts?

A few things to consider with multiple characters (this a draft for rules designed to handle multiple characters):

• You may only have one character present in any given fiction.
  • You may not finance, supply, equip, or otherwise benefit your other characters in any way.
  • You can't play your own family member, spouse, lover, etc...
  • You can not play your own trainer or mentor (someone has to be the Batman to your Robin).

Basically, you can't make two PCs and have one be in a complete support role to the other PC you've made. For example, Dahlia (Mala) could not sit at her headquarters and supply Mala's other PC with a headquarters to come home to, do all her research checks, finance her gadgets and provide support for Mala's second PC while she's actually the one out in the field doing all the work. That's two separate characters but the equivalent of 300PP the player is taking advantage of. I'm not saying Mala would do this, I'm just using her as an example since one of her PCs is in a wheelchair and solely in a support role.

This would also mean, that if Watchwoman and Dahlia were part of a super team where WW called on Dahlia for a support role, and Mala's PC2 and Watchwoman were in a fiction, WW could not call on Dahlia for assistance because Mala already has a character in the fiction.

Why?

Because I'd prefer not to see people pooling all their resources together, plotting and scheming, and leaving other players out in the cold or creating characters to cover all their basic needs and then just falling back on other characters they've made to get the things they need/want. This is a form of 'cheating' in my opinion, by playing the numbers game, no different than setting yourself up with a ton dynamic arrays to milk all the points you can. Each character is separate and distinct and should remain that way. Characters should remain on separate teams.

This is starting to get just slightly complicated.

Yes, I can see the logic behind this. In fact I like it, but this can stall a story if there are enough situations where character "bans" can interfere.

Let's stretch this out a bit. Mala's character is supporting a team with WW and a few others. Let's say a story takes place where Mala's other character is helping the team. As that is happening, this could cause everyone else participating within that story to lose that support as well, so everything from the nifty com-links and everything else that comes with being on Mala's team disappears. This adds a layer of consideration that can cause stalling in a thread.

Now I could add a layer to this ruling and say that anything the supporting character doesn't have direct control over stays in play and the character simply cannot intervene on their own or is considered an NPC for terms of that thread. But that just makes the complexity deeper.

I think we need to simplify what we want. Apply Occam's Razor, if you will.

"You cannot have more than one of your characters under your control in any one thread. If you do, the second character is an NPC. Controlled by the Storyteller of that thread."

I think this can help with easing the dynamics of a thread. It goes without saying that an ST has the final say of what is allowed in their particular scenario.

I think if we make a simple rule of thumb, things get easier.

Rule 1 of multicharacters: "Within a thread, One Player, One Character, shall be the whole of the law."

Thus, if your other character comes up somehow in a thread you're already in...and I think reasonable narrative devices should be used to avoid this where possible, then they're not 'your character' within that thread. You might kibbutz about what their motivations are or whatnot, but they're not yours.

One player, one character, within any given thread.

In the example of Dahlia, if another MalaCharacter has to call for help or something, maybe Dahlia herself is in the shower, but her admin assistant is on the line.

But I think a -better- idea would be for sufficient distinction to exist between characters that interaction isn't really very logical. Mala's second character should be someone who would have no reason to call Dahlia, nor for Dahlia to have any interest in helping if she did.

These distinctions aren't enshrined in law...that way we retain flexibility, and don't have to panic or contort when contact looms...but they are good precautions. However, there IS a law, and that law means that if contact between your character is nigh, you have to be prepared to surrender some sovereignity for the duration of that interaction.

That alone will convince people to limit such interactions, I wager. :)

I think there has to be one guarantee enshrined in my idea: "Unless the player has stated otherwise publicly, a player character that is being used as an NPC has protection and cannot be harmed in any way."

And Max, while your idea matches mine, your explaining it makes it harder to convey, and that required explanation as we had to put meaning behind "Within a thread, One Player, One Character, shall be the whole of the law." is up to interpretation.

My wording: "You cannot have more than one of your characters under your control in any one thread. If you do, the second character is an NPC. Controlled by the Storyteller of that thread." is clear to it's purpose.

We don't need to specify that STs have to protect any PC they use as an NPC. Why? Because no one here is really that kind of dick, really. Tommy, please stuff your paranoia back under its rock. It is tiring to have to deal with your lack of trust for people that haven't earned that.

I like Max's idea best. If there's a situation where someone reaches for your other PC, they're just not available. There's an assistant or something who moves the story ahead, or you leave a goddamned voice mail like we have to do when we call our buddy and he's sleeping or jacking off or just not interested in talking. Even Dahlia, who will be the spider in the center of the web, will have times she's not there, either sleeping or whatever. Our alternate PCs are not slot machines that we put a request into and get what we want. They shouldn't even be treated as such.

Hey there: Jordan here

Regarding the Empyrea Archipelago; I am of mixed feelings about it. While it Mala has done a cool job of the write up and it reads well there are, I feel, a few flaws with it. In addition to Dave's concerns about the absolute security, I have to wonder why on earth any super hero would want to go on vacation to an Island run by a mass murderer. It is explicitly stated that Vex annihilated 2 teams, 1 Hero and 1 villain, for having a super battle on his property. How is it that the rest of the hero community did not get all up in arms about this? it's also stated that troublemakers routinely disappear assumed to be killed. And the hero community has no problem with this? More to the point they are still willing to go on vacation there? I'm sorry but I find that highly implausible.

Look I know the world is supposed to be greyscale but there is nothing grey about that. Vis is a villain pure and simple. While I find the whole notion of a place where heroes and villains go to hang out under a flag of truce rather difficult to swallow, I could at least accept it if Vis' actions were less blatantly villainous. Why not say that Empyrea is a recognized sovereign nation without an extradition treaty and that violent uses of superhuman abilities are against the law? Anyone caught engaging in super brawls within the national borders with be deported, exiled or arrested (to be put on trial and imprisoned at Vis' whim). The Death penalty however should not be an option. I could at least see that existing in a comic book.

I leave the quibbling over semantics to you guys. I was just throwing my support for the idea in the ring, in a possibly too-pretentious manner. :)

I propose the following single rule for all issues: "Don't be a dick."

It's succinct, and pretty much covers any and all infractions that could come up.

Alternately, for the verbose:

1. Have fun.
  2. Do your best to help others have fun.
  3. Act in a way that will not preclude either of the above rules.

We don't need to specify that STs have to protect any PC they use as an NPC. Why? Because no one here is really that kind of dick, really. Tommy, please stuff your paranoia back under its rock. It is tiring to have to deal with your lack of trust for people that haven't earned that.

It's not us, it's for new people that get into the game at some point. That has to be considered.

I know you guys won't do anything skeevy. If I handed a character of mine to you, Dawn, or anyone here I trust that character would be returned unmolested. (Although I would have to ask the character if I handed it to Red where he touched her. :P )

In any case, I'm pretty chill. The system here is working.

But that's discriminatory to the dicks! BIGOT!

In response to the Island thing, rather than indulge my urge to rewrite what isn't mine, I will just share my reaction and let Mala decide if it's the reaction she's looking for or not. :)

I personally feel...and therefore by proxy most character I play would probably also feel...that the island is a sinister place. A false utopia ruled over by an apparently omnipotent god-king who insists on devotion and obedience under pain of a mysterious, possibly lethal fate.

It is, in short, a place my characters would dearly love to go to and investigate thoroughly, to uncover the truth of these perceptions and...based on what they find...either put an end to a tyrannical despotism, or try to clear up the misperceptions of a misunderstood state.

As long as that's what you want it to be, Mala, I don't see the need for any changes beyond simple nips and tucks to tighten up the concept and fit it into the setting.

It's not us, it's for new people that get into the game at some point. That has to be considered.

I know you guys won't do anything skeevy. If I handed a character of mine to you, Dawn, or anyone here I trust that character would be returned unmolested. (Although I would have to ask the character if I handed it to Red where he touched her. :P )

In any case, I'm pretty chill. The system here is working.

And again, as for the island, I refer to this post... http://www.rpgpost.com/topic/17221-open-world-m-m-3e/?p=305064 His posts mirrors my POV on this.

Perhaps alter Vis a little?

Rather than being a godlike being of Judge Dredd morality, why not have it simply teleport offenders off the island to the various corners of the world. Someplace harmless, but well away from the island. Repeat or serious offenders would be imprisoned in some pocket dimension that is, in fact, Vis itself (what we see is a projection). The imprisonment could vary depending on the offense, with the worst of them getting life. World governments can appeal to have their citizens released, and people can even make personal cases. Vis is a pacifist, and doesn't particularly like those who readily employ violence, but understands that not everyone has the options It does when dealing with aggressors.

If someone guilty of heinous crimes is hiding out on the island, perhaps Vis could even be approached to withdraw it's protection from the person(s) and exile them. Of course, proof beyond question would have to be presented, and Vis would not have done this more than a scant handful of times, but it makes it less of an amoral douchezilla. It is someone that the heroes feel they can actually live with.

Thoughts?

Archived