Aberrant: Mutant High - Gratitude

Cirque

Sometime after The Lion, the Wench, and the Warzone, but before The Proposal...

Aradia licked her lips nervously as she leaned up against the wall outside the boy's locker room. They'd just gotten done with gym class, which was always an amusing adventure at Lawrence Hunt, and Aradia had rushed through her shower like a speed demon, in order to get done and out before the guys did. She wanted to talk to Alex alone, and unless she was going to brave wandering through the boy's dorm and exposing herself to whatever was going on in that part of the building, as well as to the teasing she'd be subject to from the girls for being there, catching him right after class was her best option. Otherwise, he and Sonja would probably be hanging off one another, and she didn't even feel like dealing with that. It only took another minute for the boys to begin trickling out, and Ari nodded to a couple of them and flashed them friendly smiles. Finally she spotted Alex walking out by himself (thankfully!), and waved him over. "Hey, Alex - you got a minute?"

The young Adonis flashed her that charming smile - the one he gives everyone, stupid! - and made his way over to her, hefting his backpack up onto his shoulder. "Hey Ari, what's up?"

"Well, I've been thinking..." She ran a hand through shower-dampened hair, and smiled a little, trying not to look like an idiot. "I just kind of thought that maybe we should do something for Caitlin. I haven't had much of a chance to talk to her, see how she's settling in. And I really wanted to do something to thank her.. you know.. for doing what she did for us. I don't know what yet, but I thought I'd see if you wanted to get in on it."

Gym class at Lawrence Hunt was an adventure. In comparison to Mutant Expression Training, or 'Power Class', which was done usually in small groups of mutants and one instructor, all of similar powersets, the gym was more of a free-for-all divided only by relative levels of physical ability. Alex was possessed of greater-than-human levels of reaction time and hand-eye coordination, as well as enough stamina to run even some other mutants into the ground, so he was a natural for the basketball team and as a quarterback for football. Mutant sports rules were simple enough - no flying, no teleporting, and no hitting someone so hard that you turned them into jello. There was some experimentation for flying sports teams as well as games that allowed teleporting, but for the most part these were extracurricular and the subject of quite a few arguments in the various lounges at Mutant High.

Today it had been basketball, and though he didn't sweat, the glowing youth still showered from habit more than any real need. Besides, he liked hot water, liked the way his cells drank in the heat, and so it was perhaps particularly unfair to Cirque that her BFF's BF was both radiant and wet-haired as he shifted course to speak to her. He heard her out, his attention totally on her in the way that made her want to blush crimson, then furrowed his brow as he considered.

"Yeah, I feel kind of bad for not welcoming her to the school properly. She saved us, and then got sequestered away while she was trying to get to grips with her abilities." He chewed his lower lip absently, looking off across the sports field. "Maybe..." he paused, squinting for a moment in thought. "We could treat her to pizza? I mean, not like take her out, because personally I feel about as comfortable stepping off these grounds as I do stepping into the girl's locker room." The analogy distracted Cirque for a moment as she pictured the scene, only there was no-one in the locker room but her...

"Anyway," Alex's voice jolted her back to the here-and-now "perhaps we could get some pizza and deliver it to her. You know, bring some housewarming presents like some DVDs, a load of pizza..."

"And a cake!" Aradia added. "With some sort of thank you on it."

"Nice touch." Alex beamed, his aura shifting and dancing as he warmed (no pun intended) to the idea. "So when do we do this?"

"You're in then?" Cirque probed.

"In like Flynn." the glowing boy nodded, grinning.

Archived