How To: Character Concepts

Matt

One of the first things that happens when a new game is starting out if for players to submit character concepts to the person running the game. Independent of game system, what are some of the things that people look for in character submissions?

If there anything that could help new players provide the correct content for review?

Organization.

Try to organize your sheet information in neat sections.

Labeling.

Use the forum's features to bold, use different fonts, and other word-processor features to make important info stand out.

Remember that you aren't limited to paper, don't worry about putting the sheet all in one screen. We all got varying thresholds before we have to scroll. Just don't go nuts with returns and such.

Having some kind of a semi-standard form might be interesting. It can't really be system-specific, but concept is separate from system.

It would need categories for things like personal information (name, height, weight, age, etc), a description (and possibly picture), a personal history and a more generic area for things like data about abilities or a mini-fiction involving the character perhaps...

Most concept submissions fall into a very standardized format that has evolved over time into something most people crib off of each other. Now it's practically already a standard form. Just an informal...form.

Is it important to see stats up front, or is it easier if you just get a quick write-up in order to convey the idea?

Generally I have learned to prefer that people give me a proposal without stats. Mostly because I hate to waste people's time building the full monty if I don't like the concept and feel it won't work.

Is it important to see stats up front, or is it easier if you just get a quick write-up in order to convey the idea?

,, ,,

Well, while in a forum setting, it is a slight pain to have a constant conversation about a character and reposting in PM, but editing a sheet you post in a PM while talking about adjustments is far more intuitive. That and the chat on the site helps tremendously. I prefer to see a build in progress personally.

I don't need to see stats for the concept. I don't even look at the stats, like Jim said, until the basic concept has been hammered out. And I don't require an official submission of the concept either. Most people know what I'm going to have issue with, so most catch me in chat for a PM conversation where we go over anything that needs said. Also, with people reusing PCs, I sometimes don't need to see the concepts before hand, they'll say, "I'm rebooting X character" and if I foresee an issue, I'll speak to them. It's very loose and organic at the concept period.

Beyond that, I usually only get a general idea until the actual submission.

• Matt unpinned this topic

Archived