Aberrant: Mutant High - [MH-Plot] The Proposal (Complete)

Dave ST

Oneca's shoulders rippled in a non-chalant shrug as she lifted off the floor and hung in the air. "My boyfriend and my sister are going, so that means I'll tear anything that tries to touch them to fucking shreds and no, I don't give a damn if it's metal or flesh." Her eyes flashed over to Caitlin, simmering with the rage that had stayed with since she'd watched helplessly as her little sister wasted away and died. The red haze around her was bright now and her eyes were shimmering gold. "I have been training my powers and I don't need a pilot. Everyone else can either catch up real damn quick or sit the hell down."

She hesitated, frowning in Warren's direction, then tossed a look over her shoulder back towards the Adults. "So," she raised her voice to be heard over the distance, "do we got a pilot or is Sonja just tossin' people there?"

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sakurako closed her eyes and started whispering. "Not me, not me not me... only a few hours flying in my dad's simulators... I know nothing about that plane... please don't look at me..."

She started to shiver... suddenly the possibility of flying around in a vehicle that looked like it depended on complex flight avionics to fly it's aerodynamically unstable airframe... one hell of a failure point. In fact she crossed her arms over her chest before realizing her time to get ready was leaking faster than her confidence.

"Crap! Crap crap crap! No time for this... got stuff to get set up for!" Sakurako exclaimed, running off to get ready for something she, and she wagered everyone, wasn't completely prepared for.

Kia paused and looked back. She listened, then took a deep breath.

"I've fought these robots before. It's not easy, but...I can do it. I've worked hard since then. I can't just sit and wait while this happens."

“Morri go war before.” Her blood dripped down her arms but didn’t coalesce into weapons. Her red eyes swept over the room and her peers before she swiveled and followed Sonja and Alex. Before she made it far, a shout stopped her.

“Morri, wait!” Eileen’s voice rose above the other sounds of the room with fearful urgency. When the feral turned, Eileen rushed to her and threw her arms around her. With her lips near Morri’s ear, she whispered, “Be careful. Please Morri, please be careful. Come home safe.”

“Morri heal. Morri come home.” The feral gave Eileen a smile of youthful immortality. The thought that this might be Morri’s last day on earth clearly wasn’t occurring to her.

“Promise me! Promise you’ll be careful.” Eileen was almost begging. She’d do more to see this wild foster daughter of hers come back.

The red-eyed feral sighed in a manner that broadcast she was placating Eileen. “Morri be full of care.”

“Okay. Don’t forget your suit.” Eileen let her go and watched as Morri ran for the locker room. Her eyes shone with tears and she had to press a hand to her mouth to stop from calling the wild child back, but Eileen somehow let her go.

"Woah, woah, woah..." Everyone moved towards the hangar, the large open room with the stealth 'craft' docked inside. It wasn't really any plane they'd ever seen before, in fact, like everything here, it seemed years ahead of the current curve. Drumm pumped his hands toward them urging them to slow down or stop.

"Eileen, you can't be serious!" He said as she let Morri go. "You kids have no training, you're disorganized, you're everything Caitlin just said!" He turned to the redhead, "Thanks by the way... was just going to point that out." He scurried around to block their path, holding out his hands like a barricade that was easily walked around. "Lawrence, this is insanity." He motioned for the Good Doctor to assist him here, to offer some voice of wisdom or experience that would dissuade these children from getting on that plane. "Please, tell them. Tell them they're not ready."

Doctor Hunt remained silent for a few moment as everyone seemed to look to the blind man, hanging on his next words. "I can no more keep them here than you, Jericho. We are observers and instructors, I will not stand in their way if they choose to leave, nor will I judge them should they choose to stay."

Not what he wanted to hear. Wit ha deep sigh a sudden idea sparked in Director Drumm's mind as the students filed around him towards the craft. "A pilot! None of you can fly! How are you going to get there with no pilot? Hmm?"

Curtis's eyes took on an eerie low blue shimmer as binary code was barely visible scrolling behind his retinas. The plane lit up with a few blinks and the thrusters powered up with a low hum. The auto pilot was already coordinating with the mental GPS Curtis had imagined in his mind. He never broke stride and replied sternly. "We'll ask nicely."

"Yo!" Warren held up a pair of pistols that were in a cabinet on the inside of the plane. "These work?"

"Stick and shock rounds, my boy." The Doctor said, like he knew what Warren was holding. "Rubberized payloads that deliver one heck of a jolt to anyone they hit, non lethal, but hurts like the dickens! Just press the blue button near the safety to activate the shock feature. The nanite array will sub-atomically construct several hundred rounds before needing to be recharged. Do be careful, they're not toys."

A scream filled the hangar as Warren already shot Sonja in the ass with one. "They work great Doc! Blue button, got it! Thanks!"

"You are such an asshole!" Sonja's silhouette could be seen rubbing her ass vigorously as if it ever helped the pain.

The doors closed and a moment later the craft launched itself into the tunnel, through the water and was gone. An eerie silence filled the air as the staff of the Sentinel project were left alone to do nothing but wonder if their students would be okay. "Y-you could have done something. They could die Lawrence."

"There was nothing I could do. In every permutation, they left. Save the one where they didn't and destruction was far beyond what we could imagine." Doctor Hunt sighed. It was the breath of a man taxed further than his means. "Jericho, worrying won't help. All we can do is support them."

"Tell me they'll come home safely, all of them." The worried man needed to hear it. These students were like children to him and he'd already lost his family once. After a long silence pause he asked again. "Lawrence?"

"All of them come home." He said finally, although the reassuring smile under his mustache seemed forced. "Come, let us go to the hub and assist young Miss Vincent with keeping the team informed."

Jericho was already several paces ahead as they walked to the Hub, Miss Childs walked with Doctor Hunt, leading down the hall way. "You never said 'safely'." She said quietly, not wanting the Director to hear.

"No," Doctor Hunt said. "No I did not. He's lost much, these children are like his own and he loves them more than life itself. They must grow and mature. They must find the strength that I could not. To know what is store for them would break his spirit if I told him all of it at once." They said nothing as they walked down the hall until finally the pale man asked. "You think me a monster, yes?"

"No," she said flatly. "No, I think you a fool. An arrogant old fool and we're all paying the price."

"I'll not argue that." His reply was soft and sorrowful. "The path to Hell, as they say... but come, they need us in the now, let's not dawdle."

Archived