[Fate Core] Supers game.

thejoshie

I attempted this before, but a hangup formed when people expressed disinterest with game system. Changing system to Fate Core.

If you don't have The Fate Core rules, then I am free, thanks to OGL, to lend out the rules to whomever is interested in this game (since you're a prospective member of a gaming group).

Background:

Keeping this quite simple. Just as X-men had a school for gifted youngsters, so does this.

Additional details will be built both by backgrounds and Aspects. I'm keeping it lite and letting Fate take control.

Recruitment

While the setting will be built heavily from the backgrounds of the accepted builds (a strength of Fate Core), somethings to keep in mind:

-The school is similar to The School of gifted youngsters in X-men. Thus, your character was either recruited by school reps, given to the school by authorities (government or police via court order, etc), or related to the staff in someway. The team itself is government operated and ultimately answers to the Secretary of Defense.

If recruited, how was his/her powers found out and what does s/he (or his/her parents if forced) expect when s/he enters the school?

If s/he's forced by the government, why? Is s/he a dangerous meta who is still young, but one strike away from being sent to a super max prison? Is s/he innocent, but is capable of great destruction due to lack of control?

-The power origin will be Mutation. I won't turn away other origin's however (ex. powers derived from greek mythology, alien upbringing, etc). Now I say mutation, but by all means, your characters can be human looking.

-While episodic, if we last long enough, a plot will form. I may use published adventures from time to time but majority generated by player actions, settings and aspects.

-Be sure to take note that personal goals, life complications, npc's and places you create via background and roleplay are fair game for me to use at anytime.

-I believe in spotlight time. You spend points on a skill or a particular expertise or knowledge, then I 'will' find a way to incorperate it. There will be no wasted points here. (So the smart girl will have good opportunities to make the others look dumb in comparison, the heroine will have opportunities to inspire, etc)

Builds

Build requirements

First off, I want builds that makes sense that matches background and personality. Also, your character needs to be someone who will NEED her teammates to be successful. If she can solve problems on her own, she's too powerful.

Secondly, I'm also going to be strict with roles within the team. I used the TV troupe 'Five-Man Band' as a rule stick for the roles. This includes personality (which you are free to create on your own) and to some extent, powers. The Five Man Band:

NOTE: While I'm strict with the roles, you're open to be creative within those roles. Do not feel that you're locked on a particular Gender, or style. just like the TV trope these are based on, you can easily turn some of these on their head without changing the role itself.

The Hero(ine) —

The leader of the group. Can be clean-cut and upstanding, bold and charismatic, serious and driven, or some combination of the three.

Now first off, the 'Hero' or 'Heroine' is not the focal point of this campaign. I have my way and EVERYONE will have that chance.

This is the leader of the girls. Can have any powers but needs to have some type of leadership feat or advantage. Doesn't have to be a 'Cyclops' or 'teacher's pet' or what have you, but this person should have some sort of clean rep. Most important thing to think about as you build the personality and background is 'WHY' has s/he been chosen to be the leader.

The Lancer —

I admit, it'll be tough to be a contrast to the hero without knowing who s/he is, but if you're going for the Lancer. try your best for a build that is the 'Wolverine' of the group. No, I'm not talking gruff or angry, but someone who has attitude who'll butt heads with the Hero. Just as I asked WHY the hero is the leader, the question you should ask yourself is WHY the Lancer isn't the leader. What about him made him get rejected for the job? That right there could lead to the chip in the shoulder.

The Smart Guy —

Now let me say something. The smart guy/girl doesn't have to be the 'geek' (That could be the leader for all we know). This guy or girl is the one with the wisdom. He's the one who is either superintelligent (like Spock), or have a bucketful of common sense. Don't feel limited to 'battlesuit' or 'gadgets'. They work perfectly, but if you want to try another build that allows for a smart build, go for it.

Obviously, what I'm looking for is intelligence and why she is so smart. For bonus points, what also shapes her to be a trickster or comic relief?

The Big Guy —

Not much to say, cause it's cut and dry. I need to make a note here: NO ONE SHOULD BE STRONGER AND TOUGHER (THAT INCLUDES EQUAL) THAN THIS CHARACTER. I can't stress this enough. If you was as strong as this character, then why have a strong person. Now mind you, you may have a strong character and not be the Big guy, but be aware that you need to be careful and watchful of builds.

As for what I'm looking for, no, you don't have to be dumb, you can be smart (but be mindful of the smart guy). I will be looking for a bruser, but if I like your personality and background enough to make an unique powerset stick, I'll accept it.

The Chick (or Heart if female dominated) —

NOTE: This is not limited to female gender, and if this character is female, you are not required to be the stereotypical 'eye candy fanservice' that has become so common it's been parodied a million times. Feel free to take the route of X-Men, where the chick of that group, Jean Grey, was the most dangerous of the group.

Also, take note of Buffy: tvs. In that show, Xander (I think that was his name) played the chick role, where he was the emotional center.

What I'm trying to empahsis is that the Role is called 'The Chick' cause TV Tropes was being sarcastic. Any Gender can fill this role.

Let me say off the bat: This role (unless you want it to be) is not meant to be the useless role. What I aim for here is the 'mother hen', the one who breaks up the fights, the one who inspires, the one who calms down the tempers that flare between the Lancer and the Hero.

Also note: often in five man bands there is usually a romance triangle between the chick, lancer and hero, I don't see why it shouldn't happen here.

This is probably the most versatile role. You may think you're limited to psychic or telekinesis, but any power can do. just besure to have a personality (and the advantages) to be able to inspire others.

Third, I'm using 2/4 split (Two Free Stunts/Four Fate Point refresh) balance. Powers can be represented by Aspect or Stunts.

-Last thing: My door is always open. While my work hours constantly shift around, I do have one or two opportunities a day to check the net. Feel free to drop concerns and suggestions.

I am intrigued as I want to play with this system. I think I might take the tank but in a different direction as the Bruce-Lee physique tank who can take a beating. I'm just not sure what his flaw is.

Actually I think I'll pass, I don't think you want me in your group, at least right now.

I will be honest. I'm not a big fan, by the way, of doing what i'm about to do, which is to post "I'm not playing in this game." Generally, I think that these interest threads are solely for those interested. So, I am interested in trying Fate system, and am looking at joining a starting game.

But.

I don't want to be shoehorned into a tightly-defined role, right down to whom my PC should have a love triangle with. Given how many of the guys here play cross-gender, the "Chick/Heart/whatever other offensive term you want to use" would almost have to be a lesbian/bi to have a love triangle.

I'm also really offended that the nurturing role is inherently defined as female. Guys can nurture as well as women and that's a sexist stance to take. That is not cool, and not okay.

I will be honest. I'm not a big fan, by the way, of doing what i'm about to do, which is to post "I'm not playing in this game." Generally, I think that these interest threads are solely for those interested. So, I am interested in trying Fate system, and am looking at joining a starting game.

But.

I don't want to be shoehorned into a tightly-defined role, right down to whom my PC should have a love triangle with. Given how many of the guys here play cross-gender, the "Chick/Heart/whatever other offensive term you want to use" would almost have to be a lesbian/bi to have a love triangle.

I'm also really offended that the nurturing role is inherently defined as female. Guys can nurture as well as women and that's a sexist stance to take. That is not cool, and not okay.

Should've explained this better. For that, I apologize.

,, ,,

While slightly annoying, I respect why you're doing it. For the record, I don't take offense. ^_^

,, ,,

The 'shoehorning' is less about shoehorning and more about promoting versatility. Speaking from experience, if I don't do something similar, I usually have 'clones' of the same type. Think of it less of constricting, and more of it 'thinking outside the box'. Almost every team comic, cartoon or show follows this trope and each looks different. That's why I use it.

And btw, don't feel as if I'm telling you who to romance. I merely mentioned that a trope within the trope was that triangle. There is nothing stopping your character from romancing an npc or another player or no one at all. I'd never take that roleplaying freedom away.

I didn't mean to offend, by any means.

The term 'The Chick' is what the trope is named in the source material and doesn't express my views. And even then, TV tropes named the role that not to offend, but, actually, to match your view: They mock the fact on how this role is usually a woman (TV tropes is very sarcastic, one of my favorite sites to browse) and how terrible it was that in the olden days, this woman was useless.

This role (and any of the roles) can be either male or female, and I aim for this role to be an emotional center. I don't require, expect, or force this role to be a woman, for him or her to be in love with the lancer hero, or whatever.

,, ,,

btw, you're on notice Dawn. You stated that you dig a Fate game, so if this doesn't fly, I'll keep you in mind when I brainstorm something else. Thanks for the post.

Archived