[Star Wars D6] Agents of the Crown

Rubio OOC

EDIT: I am re-opening this for recruitment now that my site issues have been cleared up and I find myself able to post again.

ROSTER SO FAR
Gabe - Samuel Connel
Hyoseph- Rogue darksider

EDIT: Go to this post for the likely growing list of house rules

EDIT: Although the Star Wars D6 rules are long out of print, a pdf can't be obtained legally. However, d6 space is freely available and will as a perfectly adequate reference for rules. The links for d6 space (among many other things) can be found here

So I've been tossing around the idea in my head and have come to the conclusion that there needs to be some Star Wars!

I'm pitching the idea of a game set in the Old Republic era before the Treaty of Coruscant, where there was a state of war between the Sith Empire and the Republic.

The basic concept is similar to Dark Heresy, where the players will form a retinue, but instead of an Inquisitor, the party will serve a Sith Lord of middling importance. The crew will be primarily occupied with ensuring that the independent systems of a star cluster are... Compliant with Imperial interests. Also to combat the actions of the Republic doing the same.

The Players will form the retinue of one of the Agents of the Crown of Leontides, the ruling body of the Alusan Expanse. Both the Republic and the Empire have an interest in gaining control over the sector, and with war raging across the galaxy, neither will have the population's best interests at heart.

Overview of Leontides

So, that's the pitch. If there's interest, then the inevitable system to use discussion can start.It seems that there will be more interest if this goes the D6 route, so D6 it is.

post-1662-102783_thumb.png

Ehhh...not really interested in bein' Sith I don't think.

I know the old trot about 'Sith don't have to be evil,' but really? Yeah, not so much. Everything in the Sith Empire pretty much encourages and demands evil actions. Granted, the Sith Code itself doesn't mandate it, but the Empire pretty much revolves around it.

So yeah. I'll hold out until I can play a character I don't despise. :)

Oh, make no mistake, Sith are pretty evil. To be strong in the Dark Side almost requires it. Any force-sensitive Joe/Jane can be a "fuck da po-lice" selfish dark-side adept, but it takes a certain kind of mental damage to be able to harbor and cultivate all the darkest and most powerful emotions that they experience and draw power from it. To say nothing of the kind if psychosis that draws one to the Sith philosophy of power and control.

That said, any force-users will be assumed to be low-level Acolytes or untrained force-sensitive independents who still retain their personalities and haven't been consumed by the Dark Side.

If that's not your cuppa tea, no worries.

No worries Max, just start up, then drop off and join the Jedi cause. It's the STs problem after that. :P

D6 Star Wars is far more manageable in a PbP environment. Plus, it's just a better system.

D6 Star Wars is far more manageable in a PbP environment. Plus, it's just a better system.

"Better System" is open to debate (the wild die in particular drives me nuts) but not needing a tactical grid is a definite plus.

But like I said, system discussions come later. Was that a vote of interest, Dave?

I would be interested, yes, but I'm with Jameson, I'd prefer not to play a villain. Simply put, when I play a Sith I do it right, which means I'm already planning on killing the other PCs and removing them from the Chess board. They are obstructions on my path to power and I simply could not allow that. Especially if The GDP plays... there would be team ups then the inevitable death of everyone else, then us dueling and then one of us dying and then you're stuck with a one player game... because we're Sith... and that's how Sith roll.

That's pretty much how I see it too.

You can't have a 'team' of Sith. You have a group where one Sith is powerful enough to dominate the others...which requires him to make periodic examples of that power...or you have a Sith who thinks he is powerful enough, and dies finding out he isn't.

Either way, PvP combat is inevitable. And I'm just not interested in that.

That doesn't mean I require the game to be a Republic game, and that force-users have to be Jedi. Far from it.

But the Sith are a very particular type of force user, with very specific codes of conduct that make them unsuitable for my tastes in gaming. :)

I seem to have miscommunication. Not all characters need be Force-users. So while they are Imperial, they aren't necessarily Sith. Furthermore, if players decide that they can't deal with being a part of the empire, rebellion is a viable path.

To prevent it from being a flat-out PvP fest, the idea was that everyone would start off at least nominally loyal to an NPC (like I said, similarities to Dark Heresy) and have a reason to not shank each other at the first opportunity.

Fair enough. I should have mentioned that I'm specifically not going for PvP, so it sounds like you might wanna give this one a pass.

,, ,,

To prevent it from being a flat-out PvP fest, the idea was that everyone would start off at least nominally loyal to an NPC (like I said, similarities to Dark Heresy) and have a reason to not shank each other at the first opportunity.

Wait ... In one post you said one thing and in the other you implied the opposite. Are you intending PvP or not?

Hm. Well, I applaud you anti-pvp platform...I just don't know if the situation you outline will prevent it. The Sith Empire as a whole embraces that philosophy. I suppose having a superior who says right up front, "Don't kill each other, or you'll answer to me," could stave off outright combat. But any loyal Imperial citizen will idolize amoral ruthlessness.

Which I still think will lead towards PVP like the Yellow Brick Road leads to the Emerald City.

I will watch this experiment with interest to see if my hypothesis is borne out. :)

So... you want us to be bad guys, but not be bad?

Bad guys? Sure, but that can be accomplished without PvP

Hm. Well, I applaud you anti-pvp platform...I just don't know if the situation you outline will prevent it. The Sith Empire as a whole embraces that philosophy. I suppose having a superior who says right up front, "Don't kill each other, or you'll answer to me," could stave off outright combat. But any loyal Imperial citizen will idolize amoral ruthlessness.

Which I still think will lead towards PVP like the Yellow Brick Road leads to the Emerald City.

I will watch this experiment with interest to see if my hypothesis is borne out. :)

Place your bets now :D

I'll keep my eyes on this in case it becomes something non-Sith using d6, otherwise I think I'ma opt out as well.

Gotcha.

Honestly, I'm tempted to agree that the Sith may not be a long term thing. And it would be simpler, more straightforward (and probably going to get more interest) if we did something non-Sith. The point fairly made is that the propensity for backstabbing and deceit is not very good for team effectiveness even if we did non-PvP.

I would be interested, yes, but I'm with Jameson, I'd prefer not to play a villain. Simply put, when I play a Sith I do it right, which means I'm already planning on killing the other PCs and removing them from the Chess board. They are obstructions on my path to power and I simply could not allow that. Especially if The GDP plays... there would be team ups then the inevitable death of everyone else, then us dueling and then one of us dying and then you're stuck with a one player game... because we're Sith... and that's how Sith roll.

Word.

The entire central tenet of the Sith philosophy is that You, Mister Sith Dude, are the center of your universe. Everything and everyone around you is to be manipulated, coerced or tricked into serving your ends. There are 'grey' Sith who don't go completely cackling bonkers and try to blow up planets, but in the end being Sith is about control over one's surroundings.

If you have a superior, then he is to be supplanted as soon as you've learned everything he can teach you and he's no longer strong AND cunning enough to control you.

You don't have peers, you have rivals.

The universe polarises into stronger and weaker, useful and irrelevant, servant or enemy. If someone isn't one, then they are the other.

Okay, I'm changing the game concept from being agents of the Empire to being Agents of the Crown.

The Leontides system controls several star systems in the Alusan Expanse sector of space. The monarchs haven't been perfect, but they've maintained the peace between the various systems under their protection and have kept the pirates and criminals at bay to the outer systems of the sector.

It would be just another sector of space if it weren't for the discovery of several stable hyperspace paths that wind in and out of the stellar phenomena of the cluster to provide reliable transit into both the unknown regions and the deep core, allowing Jedi and Sith to potentially strike into the heart of each other's territory.

Due to the pressures of war, neither the Empire or the Republic can spare the strength necessary to conquer the Alusan Expanse, so they have turned to the age-old tricks of statecraft: bribery, deceit, and proxy wars fought by mercenaries and pirates.

The Leontidian Monarch wants nothing to do with the mad religious war that is engulfing the galaxy, but it has come to the sector's doorstep. So the Crown Agents have been put out to maintain the peace and keep both Republuc and Empire at arms' length.

The Crown Agents are diplomats, warriors, and spymasters supreme, but they can't be everywhere at once. Thus, they maintain retinues of promising individuals with skills that are useful to spying and statecraft. Blaster slingers, slicers, pilots, martial artists, mystics, scholars, and grifters all have their uses.

And it's a good thing they do, it's a big job.

Now this is an idea I really could get behind. I'm thinking about bringing back Samuel Connell for this... in the d20 system he'd be a Fringer, to give you an idea... excellent tracker, marksman and survivalist...

Though I could try d20, d6 or whatever else is proposed.

This is more interesting to me then being a Sith...

I'm sort of with Max here, wondering what sort of force tradition is in play here.. though we could come up with our own force tradition for this system....

I'm pondering the question of force traditions. In order to prevent Mary-suetopia traditions, I'm probably going to be outlining one or two. There's also the possibility that a character has had good old-fashioned Jedi training as well.

Plenty of prospective trainees and even padawan/apprentices decide that they don't wish to be part if the order and part ways (this fact is not advertised)

There's also the possibility that someone could be a Jedi washout. Force-sensitive, but didn't have the right stuff to be a full-on Jedi.

Someone who has strength in the force but has too much compassion to be a Sith might be able to fake their own death, get reconstructive surgery, and flee.

Plenty of possibilities.

Hm...renegade sith is also a cool idea.

My first thought for a Jedi liason as that he was working with the other PCs to build diplomatic ties and goodwill to bolster the Republic case...but as I reread the game's premise, I realize that it would mean he's working against the Republic in some cases. Hee hee.

So yeah, that might not work so well.

Still, a more independent sort of either polarity could work fine.

My first thought for a Jedi liason as that he was working with the other PCs to build diplomatic ties and goodwill to bolster the Republic case...but as I reread the game's premise, I realize that it would mean he's working against the Republic in some cases. Hee hee.

That wouldn't be terrible. Remember that while Jedi aid the Republic, they'll also do what's necessary to thwart the Sith.

Archived