Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Cosmos Nova - Ciudad de la Ruina

Mech

Sean listened to the two women fighting outside. He’d woken up because they were yelling but he didn’t want to get up and face either of them. His memory of breaking down all over Rebecca left him with a sick feeling of embarrassment in his gut. Kei was making it worse, trying to be nice.

This isn’t a place for teenagers. He wished he had a cool rebuttal to that. Maybe something like Spidey’s quote: With great power comes great responsibility.

God, he hated being a kid.

That’s when Sean made up his mind about what he was going to do. Rolling to his feet, he walked out of the tent. The image he made was troubling to Kei; his clothing was matted in blood and mud, and his young face was a mask of dried mess. His sunglasses were done, and those black and green eyes stared haughtily at her. “I’m not going back.” He spoke softly but firmly. “I came here to help people, and you can’t convince me not to.”

“I said we would bring you in when it was safe—”

“I heard, and I don’t give a shit. My life. My choices.” His hands balled up into fists as he waited the expected answer.

“You’re children,” Kei said, not unreasonably. Her gravitas was somewhat ruined by the fact that she had to peer up at him.

“I’m a nova. And if you don’t like it, tough shit.” Sean was adamant, and if necessary, he’d back up his words with force.

"Fair enough, Sean." Connor's voice preceded him from the prefab structure where he'd been resting. "You want to step up and wear the big shoes, then so be it. You will need an adult Chaperone." He looked at Kei. "Just to make sure there's no backlash, Kei, I'm dragooning you into being their chaperone, as a fully certified field agent. You will be their guardian angel, but do not interfere with them helping people."

He smiled to Sean. "We are all here to help, and right now, All of us are needed. I trust you can stomach this arrangement." It was a statement, more than a question, and coming from someone very very few people could say no to and make it stick... Well it carried some weight. He was giving them what they wanted, a chance to help, but saddling them with a chaperone.

He smiled. "Just do what you can to help these people, that's all I really ask. Don't add any further stress to their lives, or those of the others trying to help by letting little outbursts like this divide us. Me stand together, as one, to help the survivors."

Kei nodded to Connor up above.

"Well... that was... a surprise." Kei said.

"Well... Agents... pack your shit and get moving. It'll be a long day ahead of us. If you can bring your stuff you can pack it on your own too! Shoulder your load!"

Kei was used to such orders. Before she started working with the Navy last year, she had to take a few weeks courses in dealing with the military structure of the Navy. That included Basic. Of course the DI's couldn't tire out the Nova so they had to be... creative.

"I will have assignments then for the two of you at sunrise in a few hours. We got Department Zero bringing a whole boatload of workers, equipment, and supplies so we're going to need everyone on deck for this."

Kei stretched out. "You got 5 minutes."

Rebecca picked up her bag and slung it over her shoulders.

"Actually, Miss Rathbone... You will carry Mr. McCline's Tent and gear as well. I believe from my dossier on your ability without using your powers you can shoulder his burdens. He'll need all his strength in the morning."

Rebecca stood straight. This was her time. If she could prove herself to be a proper agent of the DSA... "Yes, Ma'am."

Rebecca then turned to Connor. She actually smiled. She whispered "Thank You" to him with a smile on her face. She didn't know how Sean would take this, but Rebecca... She wanted to be useful, to be wanted.

"Okay Sean... We'd better hurry, I think Miss Nakano is..."

"Rebecca, we use our call signs out here!" Kei barked. More to make Rebecca not relax, to keep attentive.

"Sorry... Sea Eagle wants us to get going."

Kei smiled. "Good, you're learning fast... also expected."

Kei knew this was going to be a pain, and she was gonna make sure she got Rebecca and Sean up to snuff.

Archived