Aberrant: Mutant High - Lively Lessons [Complete]

Curtis Shane

Timeline: Not long after Lion, Wench and the Warzone

This council in Jericho Drumm's office was a tripartite one: Eileen Gomez on one side of the desk, Denise Childs sitting to her left in a quiet and inscrutable fashion. And in the big chair across from them, the man himself, Director Drumm. Though he had been quietly listening to Eileen, the women could detect the subdued optimism hidden within Director Drumm's face. No matter how bad it got, Jericho always had hope.

"So right now then, Caitlin should not be in classes then, Eileen?" He summarized her past several minutes of talk. Eileen nodded soberly, "The body may heal, and hers quite fast...but that... animal put her through immense physical pain and trauma several times over, along with the psychological effects of a near-death experience. Add to that a measure of self-loathing... she's close to being like a trigger, Jericho."

Director Drumm nodded, his face tightening for a moment at the mention of Primal. For all his calm in the face of the Jungle King, he'd had a ringside view to their clash, and it had sickened him more and more about the sadistic mutant hunter serving the government. That and the reminder of his own family - recovery came slowly and not easily.

"Well, seeing as we can't ignore the matter of academics, I think I have the perfect tutor in mind, the least volatile of our super-geniuses."

Ms. Childs looked a bit like the devil's advocate for a moment at this pronouncement. "You sure you can get him out of that lab?" Director Drumm smiled a little. "Denise, you're asking that after his participation in Gold's rescue? When push comes to shove, Curtis will help his fellow peers in great need."

"However reluctantly." He then allowed.

OOC
Feel free to fast forward to the actual tutoring, Vivi.

• 3 weeks later...

"Look," Caitlin began suddenly, breaking the awkward silence that had previously been interrupted only by the sound of the redhead's pencil eraser tapping against the blank notebook page. Her green eyes, nearly inhuman in their brilliance, fixed Curtis with a level stare that, from Sonja or one of the other preternaturally gorgeous girls at the Academy, would have been hypnotic. Fortunately, Caitlin was merely pretty, and so it was the directness of her expression alone that inspired a twinge of discomfort; he'd done his research, and her files weren't nearly as heavily-encrypted as some of the others. "Can we do this outside? It's-" The girl paused, white teeth worrying at her lower lip in an unconsciously thoughtful gesture that made her look younger, and, simultaneously, less likely to go on a rampage. "It's just hard to concentrate in here." She knew how lame it sounded, asking-bloody-permission to get some fresh air, but she also knew she was considered a flight risk- or worse. She'd only been in here with Curtis for 10 minutes and already she could feel herself getting restless. How was she supposed to manage going to classes and dealing with other students if she couldn't even focus?

Curtis glanced at her, looking back from behind the laptop screen where he had been compiling notes and a series of potential study guide outlines. On the one hand, it sounded plaintively ridiculous, but on the other hand, Curtis had read her file... and given the repeated references to the benefits of the outdoors and gardening - well, if it got her to concentrate, fine.

"Fine. We can go to one of the garden areas, provided you do concentrate there." He got up and closed his laptop screen down, unplugging it and scooping machine and cables up under one arm. Caitlin bounced up with a bit more energy to her in anticipation, and Curtis led the way.

The observation came to him on the way, about how her hair color was so much similar to Kara's, but more vivid. Though why it had popped up eluded him, strangely.

As they stepped outside, Caitlin took a deep breath. Spring was fast approaching, and even with the hint of crispness lingering in the air, she could almost imagine she could smell the difference. She was a few steps ahead of her tutor, and spun around to regard him as she continued moving backward. He definitely didn't look like a mutant, unless he was the kind that turned green and broke things when he got angry. Thanks for that, Devin, she thought to herself, affectionately admonishing her friend for his encyclopedic knowledge of comic books and the hours of "education" to which she'd been subjected. Dork.

"I'm told you're probably the smartest guy here, so I'm warnin' you up-front. I suck at math, and history puts me to sleep. I'm also under observation to make sure I don't go crazy and kill anybody, which means somebody who'd sit in a closed room with me is either dense as dirt, or desperate. Y' don't seem to be either of those. So, what'd they bribe you with to get you to do this?"

That didn't sound like the 'diligent student' Caitlin's profile said her to be... or maybe her perspective differed from the official records. At least Curtis knew to be on his guard against possible exasperation. And ironically, her question spoke to some of the usual buffers and motivations for dealing with people who just seemed like morons so often.

"Normally, I charge for tutoring." Curtis explained, with Caitlin realizing that the glasses wearing blond didn't seem phased or surprised by her revelation. "But actually, I don't really get anything from this."

"You don't?" Caitlin asked, a bit more stunned. Curtis made a brief noise of amusement in his throat. "People here have a great deal of respect for Director Drumm. And he has a way of persuading and motivating people." It was the only reason Curtis was doing this without pressing for some sort of gain as part of the arrangement, he acknowledged.

"Mmmmhh," was her only reply, simultaneously acknowledging what he'd said and spinning to face forward again. Curtis was, she noted, taking the long way 'round, a circuitous path that kept them from the most active areas of the grounds. In her other life, she probably would have laughed and accused him of trying to get her alone, but here it just made her feel completely pathetic. Actually, nearly everything these days had that effect.

When they finally arrived at a spot her tutor deemed suitable, she dropped her bag onto the sparse grass and quickly followed suit. As the wiry young woman folded her legs, crossing them in the de rigeur position for getting comfortable on the ground, she rummaged for pencil and paper, hesitating when she realized she didn't know where he'd want to start.

"So... Curtis, right?" He glanced up from his own preparations, and she assumed she'd gotten it right. "Listen, you said you normally charge for this, and I know you're doin' it as a favor for the Director, but, still. Thanks." He could hear the reluctance in her voice, the hesitation that hinted at either stubborn pride or shame, and filed that tidbit away to be analyzed later. "Anyway, if you'd rather start with my weaker subjects, I don't mind. You're, ah, in charge, I guess."

Curtis bit his lip as he gave it a moment's consideration. "Let's see if your self-described proclivity for snoozing during history can't be squelched. If we can achieve that," something partially said to himself as much as to Caitlin, "I think the rest will ultimately be in hand..." He brought up a guide and began to start with Europe on the verge of the 16th century, and then managed to switch over a little to cosines that day.

A few sessions later...

They were sitting in the same area, on the grass again, and Curtis didn't look too displeased when he handed back the test he had given Caitlin on the Age of Exploration. It was an 84, which in the context of Caitlin was a mark of forward progress. Something was itching at Curtis' mind though, a curiosity still there, even though it had extended to unexpected and odd observations about Caitlin's appearance in minor ways.

This time, he wanted to understand something. "Before we begin, as part of the tutoring, I'm wondering... how does it really feel, the difference to you between indoors and outdoors?" They were nowhere near phasing her indoors at all, but Curtis figured a little more understanding couldn't hurt.

Caitlin glanced up from the paper he'd returned to her, surprise writ clear across her face. Had he actually just asked her a personal question?

"The difference?" she repeated, considering how to reply. "Um, well, I'm not sure how to describe it. I'm not claustrophobic, or anything, but..." Pursing her lips as a tiny furrow appeared between her copper brows, the young feral searched for the right words. "It's just- I've always been really active, y'know? I was a real pain as a kid, really rambunctious, a bit of a tomboy. Lots of scraped knees an' all that. Now, after- after what happened, it's like that's just gotten stronger, I guess. It's like bein' inside, where I can't feel the wind or the sun, makes me restless. Best way I can put it is that it's stifling, I think. Walls aren't alive, y'know?" Her expression was earnest, for once neither guarded nor sullen as the fingers of her free hand stroked the grass beside her, the thin shoots growing more robust under her idle ministrations. "Just makes it harder to concentrate. Maybe it's a psychological thing, " she mused, "findin' comfort in what I enjoyed as a kid." With a shrug of her shoulders, and a little smile, she focused on Curtis again. "I guess you're more comfortable in the lab, so that probably sounds strange."

Had he actually just asked her a personal question?

Still, listening to her answer, Curtis was reminded of the orderly and logical nature of computer code, and the interactions of charge. It was predictable, rational. That was how he saw technology. It was a radical opposite to Caitlin's espousal of natural and vigor, but yet... "The appeal, no. But having been a geek and techie forever, I think I recognize the concept... it resonates with you, doesn't it?"

Unbeknownst to Curtis, a tiny smile had crept its stealthy way onto his expression.

"Yeah, that's exactly it," Caitlin replied with an answering smile, the first genuine one he'd seen with her since their sessions started. "Like, animals, for example. They rarely do things without a really good reason. Their needs color their actions, so it's not really that hard to predict what they'll do if you know whether they're hungry, injured, sick, or whatever." Her hands moved as she spoke, gesturing expansively and animatedly to emphasize her words. "It makes sense, if you know what to look for. People, though." She shook her head, laughing quietly. Curtis knew what she meant: People were irrational, and usually trouble. "Outside, in the fresh air, away from everything? It just, I dunno, feels right. Not all the time," she added hastily. "I'm not gonna build a shack in the mountains or anything. And, I hate to say it, since this place seems nice, but the idea of being stuck in a desk, in a room with twenty other people who could all be as crazy as I am..." Her smile faded by degrees as her thoughts veered back to her present situation. She didn't finish the thought, didn't elaborate on how terrified she was of losing control the way she was sure they expected her to. Why else would they segregate her?

Shrugging it off, she gave the test another quick glance and made a mental note to review the ones she'd missed when she went back to her room: a very comfortable version of solitary confinement.

"Well, at some point we're going to have to start spending some portions of the sessions indoors, to phase you into this for classes." Curtis said, trying to reassert the aspect and mien of a tutor. "Not any time soon, but keep that in mind. Also, everyone's come in through difficult times, more or less. And more or less, they're adequately stable at minimum."

Including Morri, but she was still in downright incomprehensible territory for him. Especially with her antics and last night's... hug?

"Now then," Curtis was back to a little more serious and focused mode, "time for some basic physics with one-dimensional motion."

As the days progressed, Caitlin really did try, and though it was patently obvious she'd never reach the intellectual level of her tutor, it soon became clear that all her excess energy could be channeled productively. Curtis quickly learned that the best way to get her to focus, when she'd started fidgeting in the midst of a session, was just to let her move. More often than not, a few minute run was enough to satisfy her natural restlessness until the end of the lesson, which also gave him ample opportunity to work on his own coursework and tinker with the diagrams and schematics for a few personal projects.

"Okay," she sighed, collapsing back into her seat at the roots of the tree where Curtis still waited. She pushed her hair back from her face, trying to remember where they'd left off. "So, the path taken between two points by a ray of light is the path that can be taken in the least amount of time. That's... Fermat, right?"

"More or less," Curtis replied, adjusting his glasses. "Any particle, such as a photon or an electron, propagates over all available unobstructed paths and the interference, the superposition, of its wavefunction over all those paths gives the correct probability of detection of this particle. Thus the extremal- the shortest, longest or stationary- paths contribute into this interference most as they can not be completely canceled out."

Caitlin just blinked at him, then grinned and shook her head. "Right, so basically what I said, but more complicated. And I thought math was hard!"

"Wait for calculus." Curtis warned, with a sly grin. In truth, given the effectiveness of her moving about as a form of kinesthetic learning and focusing tool, he had no qualms about letting her do so. Though he was concerned now, about how... simply aesthetically appealing watching her seemed at times. The strange thoughts and observations were reaching the point of absurdity.

"Although the question is how we accomplish this indoors with classes... I guess I'll have to include advising that teachers let you have movement breaks and leave the classroom as needed."

"Mmm." Caitlin nodded thoughtfully, chewing at her lower lip for a moment. "Or I could just try to get it out of my system between classes? Hmh. Maybe I'll grow out of it eventually." She fidgeted a bit, as if disproving that theory already, straightening her legs and resting her open notebook on her thighs. "Hey, Curtis?" she asked finally, her expression a mask of curiosity. "Have you always been as smart as you are? I mean, did, y'know, changing make you better at something you were already good at, or were you normal one day and a genius the next?"

"Better." Curtis said flatly as he tapped at the keys on his laptop, finishing a series of mathematical calculations - he was looking to put an end to the vaunted P vs. NP problem. Not that he ever expected to win the Millennium City prizes any time soon, but being able to solve that computational issue would speed up a great deal of his later work exponentially.

"Of course, it would be comparing an mountain to the foothills below, now versus then. Still, even by baseline standard, I was highly intelligent." His brow furrowed as he added, "Although technokinetic powers were new experiences. And the electrokinetic powers I recently developed. Though I caught onto controlling electronics with my mind very quickly."

"Technokinetic," the young feral repeated slowly, her expression an awkward commingling of incomprehension, surprise, and awe. "You-" There was a brief hesitation as she worked to wrap her mind around the concepts he was so casually describing. "You control machines. With your mind." Another pause. "Um," she began uncertainly, and then followed up with a very heartfelt, "wow." She'd seen so-called 'mentalists' before on television, bending spoons and performing similar tricks, but she'd never heard of anyone capable of actually moving things by thinking at them. Or about them? She wasn't completely sure how it worked; her own abilities were so much more straightforward, and it seemed rude to pry.

The rest of the session passed in relative quiet, with Curtis making repeated changes to his calculations and Caitlin absently leafing through her chemistry textbook as she wondered how her tutor had adapted so quickly. Maybe, if these other kids could get a grip on things, she had a chance, too.

More sessions passed. Progress continued to be made, by Curtis' estimation and apparently by the faculty as well. When Caitlin got to the tree where they had regularly started the sessions, Curtis was already there, with his laptop closed for once. He had a message for him, one he wasn't sure how to judge... well, he'd love to be in the lab back to normal routine again... still...

Curtis gave her a smile for greetings outwardly. "News for you. This is our last session, since I've been told you're cleared to start regular classes soon."

"Oh," was all Caitlin said at first, blinking at him with those wide green eyes and, for a moment, looking completely unsure of herself. "Well," she finally continued, settling slowly into her customary spot at the base of the tree, "That's good, right? If they think it's okay for me to start regular classes, I guess that means you've done your job. I'm, um, still not really sure how well that's going to work out, though, and to be honest, I'm a little nervous. I mean, I haven't had any, um, episodes or anything lately, which is good, but most of the time I'm by myself." Looping her arms around her shins, she looked at him over her knees.

"So, if this is our last session, what should we do? A quiz, or something?"

Well, that was unexpected. Caitlin couldn't remember an afternoon spent with Curtis that didn't also have a very specific plan. He was always so organized, their sessions so structured, even in the face of her constant fidgeting and distractions. She knew she hadn't exactly been a model student, but, to her surprise, he hadn't once complained. She'd always thought of brainiacs as being misanthropes with no personality, but her tutor had proven himself to be very considerate and flexible with respect to her rather... unorthodox study habits; in fact, she had to admit, he was almost kind of sweet.

"Hm!" Her copper brows knit together in a tiny frown that Curtis had come to recognize as, 'I'm weighing options.' It was one of dozens of expressions he'd filed away for reference when dealing with the impulsive redhead, the better to discern when she was having difficulty with a lesson, when it was time for more kinesthetic learning methods, when she was unsure of an answer, when she was sure, when she was pleased to see him...

"Why don't we go for a walk, then?" she asked, brightening as she straightened her legs. "I'm always running or doing something during the lessons, and it seems to help me clear my head and remember what I've learned. Maybe it'll jog your memory about what we were supposed to do. And," she added thoughtfully, considering the implications of what he'd told her, "if we run into other students now, it should be fine, right?"

"Right," Curtis agreed, getting up and following her. Again, much unconventionality, but he found he could manage this with Caitlin. As he started to follow her lead, he observed: "And yes, at this point, my job ceases. I think it was productive, in terms of academic progress. I know you've made clear that many of these subjects are not on your list of interests, but are you pleased with the results?"

• 4 weeks later...

"Absolutely," she replied without hesitation, flashing Curtis a grateful smile as she walked backward for a few paces to continue the conversation. "I don't think I'll ever really get most of it," the redhead admitted ruefully, "but I shouldn't have any problem when I start classes. At least, not with the lessons." Shrugging, she pivoted to face forward again, falling into step next to him. "You've been very cool, actually, so thanks for that."

"You're... welcome." For a moment, Curtis found himself about to stumble over his words, and only barely recaptured equilibrium before Caitlin noticed. All right, the end of tutoring couldn't happen sooner. There was something about her throwing him off his game, as the expression went, and Curtis needed to figure out what it was.

Or at least distance himself. Something corrective. "It will work out, as long as you apply sweat of the brow, graphite of the pencil - and you put in more than enough effort to satisfy your capacity in my mind."

• 1 month later...

My capacity? The redhead peered dubiously at him from the corner of her eye as she continued walking, shoving her hands decisively into her pockets. The sun was bright, the air fresh and crisp and her lungs, and she wouldn't have to deal with more tutoring sessions in social quarantine... And yet, as she mulled over his choice of words, Caitlin had the sneaking suspicion that he was insulting her intelligence; the part of her mind that Tennyson so aptly described in his friend's elegy bristled with anger. Her fingertips itched, and she forced herself to keep them still. Curtis was her friend, not her enemy, but right now all she could think about was the way he'd crumple if she drove her fist into his gut. He was slim, and just about her height, but as he kept pace with her she visualized his bones as delicate, avian things, fragile and hollow. Idly, she wondered what they'd sound like if she-

Oh, fuck. No, no, no.

"Yeah," she replied tersely, trying (and failing) to keep her tone light and conversational. Her heart was pounding madly against her ribs, and a bitter, acrid taste spread slowly across the back of her tongue. She felt sick with revulsion at the flood of images flashing through her brain, images so vivid she reflexively glanced down at her hands, yanking them from her pockets to be sure it hadn't been real. That she hadn't really-

"Look, ah, I'm gonna head back. I, umm." She forced a smile, dragging her fingers through her tousled hair and shrugging. "I have a... a thing. That I have to do. So, thanks again, and I guess I'll see you around." The green-eyed feral didn't wait for a response this time, abandoning all social expectations of courtesy as she twitched one arm in a quick wave and abruptly ran back the way they'd come. She couldn't stand it, this thing that was in her brain now, this creature that sometimes roared, sometimes watched with huge, unblinking eyes, and sometimes scraped its claws along the bars of the cage that separated It, from Her.

As she ran, a tiny seed of fear that took root when Primal had attacked Alex and Aradia sent out a lurid shoot, driving her onward even faster: which of them was the one trapped inside?

Archived