Aberrant: Mutant High - Cryogenic Biology

Glacia

After her latest discussion with Daniel, Diana was brought back to something that she had wanted to know more about for some time, a better understanding of mutant biology in general and her own biology in specifics, that required study of her personal biology and powers. Why were the powers of each mutant different in some ways and yet very similar in others, how much did personality, event and experience shape one's powers?

So here she was, in the school labs, doing a few tests on herself, and wondering if she couldn't get a few other mutants in the school to help with this.. sure, she could likely get Daniel to help, but that was almost a given, and she wanted to study more then just their two sorts of abilities.

Many things about her own person didn't make complete sense to her, how was her biology shifted to cryogenic but still fully able to work and manifest normal, it was as though every cell was altered, and her body was tougher to, though not as tough as some of the mutants here.

An exploration of personal powers and capabilities as well as the powers and capabilities of others was in order.. but first, to explore her own capabilities further.

Mouse walked into the lab, adjusting her glasses she sees Glacia working with some of the equipment. Grabbing a lab coat to wear over her business-suit like ensemble she smiled before speaking. "So... Seeing that you are using that particular centrifuge and I noticed the sharps disposal container on the wall is still open..." Sakurako said, closing the container. "You're looking at your blood for something."

She pulls out a pair of rubber gloves and puts them on. "I'm not sure if I am wanted or needed, but I have been bored lately. What are you doing?"

Sakurako was indeed curious, as she buttoned up the labcoat. It was a bit... cold.

"I really don't want to intrude, but it might be helpful at least for someone that knows how to operate this stuff assisted you in this endeavor."

She giggled. "Don't worry, any secrets we discover are safe, count on it!"

Mouse was one of the mutants in the school whose intelligence couldn't be measured by normal IQ measurements, and her assistance was certainly welcome by Diana.

"I'm trying to understand how an individual can exist in a state of cryogenic activity.. " she paused. "Actually, that's wrong, I'm trying understand how I can exist as such a state of being, or at least how close to it my own biology is. My hope is that by further understanding that I could somehow begin to understand the nature of the mutant gene as well, but I would need more samples then just myself for that sort of study."

She looked up from the microscope to look at Sakurako a moment. "If your going to assist, and I welcome it, you might want to dress a bit more warmly, I'm afraid the temperatures around me tend to drop quite a bit."

Sakurako holds up her finger. "One sec... Let me grab something warmer..." She says, dashing off to her dorm. It didn't take long for her to grab her drysuit out of her foot locker and bring it back to the lab, putting it on once she got back.

"This'll do... I was going to get some dinner out this evening, and I think I don't want to have to change into anything, and my Parka is in storage."

She zips up, pulling the cowl over her head and then putting on her labcoat over it.

"Okay, first thing first is we look at your cells themselves. We don't have a DNA analysis machine here, that... only a big university would have, and if anyone found out we were working with Mutant DNA, well... there would be some problems."

She adjusted her coat as she grabs a pair of lab goggles and puts them on, making sure they didn't interfere with her glasses.

"Now, what I would want to see here is how your cells interact at a lower temperature with their surroundings... like how they take in nutrients. At lower temperatures, most protien chains can't function as the properties of the pritien chainse themselves won't function like they would in a warm body... Someone in a constant state of extreme hypothermia would have some odd biological quirks."

She puts her gloved hand on Glacia. "Hey, this is part of my studies too... Lately I've been wanting to learn more on how our genetic gifts work. It would help in me knowing how best to patch you guys up if you get hurt."

She looked into the microscope. "I'm starting to see my place here is to help the others here. Whenever I act outside of that... problems happen."

Waiting a moment for Sakurako to get herself ready Diana began to respond to her words. "Part of the problem with pinning down mutant DNA is that it's all different, I mean, Morri's biology has to be insane for her to heal as fast as she does, it's certainly not at the strange state that mine is, why is it that I can control ice and cold, and not heat? They are part of the same principle, but that's not the way it works.. is it a biological imperative or a mental one, and is there really a difference in mutants? How much does out mentality affect our capabilities anyway." She paused. "There are so many questions, just about my own person biology, not to mention other mutant's, how the heck do we do some of these things, some of it should be impossible."

Sakurako adjusted her goggles. "I have a few theories. I'll try to keep it in layman's terms."

"I'm thinking this might have to deal with the concept both of how the observer influences their reality, and how reality is influenced by the observer. Also, it seems that Mutants themselves have an energy I've yet to understand. It would be sort of bad though if that was figured out, because we wouldn't be able to hide from Human agents that wish us ill."

"Right now, I am not sure if we have the upper hand or not in keeping under people's radar,and using our powers would make us obvious mutants."

She adjusted the drysuit under her labcoat. "I already know how we could make ourselves invisible... unfortunately it's not real invisibility like some mutants can do, more like fooling an observer you aren't there by mimicing your surroundings using a OLED/OLCD film."

"Ugh, right, your particular mutation... I did notice that indeed your cells do infact operate normally, even at cryogenic levels.Which is odd since most cells require a certain level of temperature in order for their cells, in particular the protiens within, to operate as intended."

She smiled. "If there were police for the laws of biology and physics, we would be commiting capitol offenses." She giggled, placing her hand on Glacia's shoulder. "I know you're curious, but ever thought perhaps a better idea is to just accept that what your gifts are is they just work?"

"Although hunting down how that power interfaces with reality is very, very fascinating."

Sakurako clapped her hand. "Antifreeze!"

She had a look on her face, as if she had a revelation given to her from God herself

"You think my own personal biology works like antifreeze on a cellular level? That would make a lot of sense, and has some advance possibilities if your correct, we might be able to make whole new discovers and leaps with regards to the science of cryogenics if it's correction. Though it doesn't entire explain some other aspects of my biology" She learned over to take a second look in the microscope looking for some indication that Sakurako might be correct.

"I suspect that each of us are different, even if those of us with similar powers, much of our power seem to be a outgrowth of personal issues, events, mental traits or fears, between that and the ability to consciously control such things, I suspect the mind is a very powerful force in shaping our mutant capabilities, after my family died in the avalanche, the world went cold for me, and became so literally, now I can control ice and cold, and ignore cold temperatures completely." She looked up from the microscope.

"How would we test it though?"

Sakurako drummed her chin.

"Well, I could extract the protiens and chemicals by first subjecting your cells to a centrifuge, then analysing the material with a spectral analyser, unfortunately we don't have something that advanced here, and submitting the soup of protiens which are obviously biological might start posing questions..."

She stopped drumming her fingers. "Obviously our genetic trigger always comes from some outside stress source, for instance, your avalanche, and your genes allowed you to survive hypothermia. Mine corrected the genetic disorder to my immune system and enhanced my intellect to boot." She said, adjusting her glasses. "Unfortunately the trigger was finding out my parents died..."

She took a moment... "Hmm, I wonder if anyone here can help with analysing what sort of chemicals are in a certain conconction?"

• 3 weeks later...

She looked thoughtful for a moment, then replied. "Curtis might be able to help, I'm fairly sure he has the know how to assist in a project like this one, in fact, considering his sharp intellect, it might be possible he'd be even better at it then either of us." She paused a moment as a further thought passed though her mind.

"You know, getting together some of the smartest of us here at the school might be worth while in it's own right, I think we might be able to do some good for our fellow mutants if we put our heads together, as a sort of student think tank." As she considered that thought, another one flowed though her mind that made her chuckle a bit. "Also, it could be fun to test one another's ability with various strategy games, sharpen our thought processes for whatever the future may bring."

She stepped away from the microscope to turn her attention fully to Sakurako. "Your thoughts?"

Sakurako leans on the table. "You know, that might be a good idea."

She takes some of the extracted material from Glacia and marks it as a biohazard in their dishes before placing them in a cold freezer to keep the cells in a environment similar to Glacia's. "I got your cells in a protien rich solution sitting in the freezer, as the cells are cold, and are able to extract protiens from a frozen medium, the cells should last for a bit in the freezer."

She pulled her goggles over to her forehead. "Perhaps we can find Curtis, I think I like your idea. Our forming a think tank would be a great asset to the school. Or at least for us."

• 2 weeks later...

"Alright, lets go find Curtis and see if he has any suggestions or ideas he'd like to add to our endeavor." She stopped looking at her microscope and stood up, stretching a moment, then heading for the door. "Coming with me, or shall I try and find him by myself and bring him back here?"

Sakurako isghed. "If you can find him. I've just remembered how hard it is even to contact him in regards to projects we get stuck together on."

She shakes her head. "I think we should table that idea.I think we'll have to find some other direction, at least for answering your question."

I'll tell you what..." Sakurako said, pulling back the cowl on the suit she was wearing to keep warm around Glacia. "...I'll step out and you might have a better shot at contacting Curtis. Maybe my reputation after the nightclub incident carried out even to the students not involved. Not having "The Rat" around will probably encourage him." She said with a sigh.

"Everything is properly stored so he won't whine about everything not being in place and Imy notes are right there." She said, pointing to the notebook she was writing her observations in, "Keep that safe until you get to talk with him."

She starts to walk off. The look on her face was one of frustration. The school's lab was... inadequate... for her intellect.

Archived