Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Axis and Allies World setting

Dawn OOC

Ugh. I've been sick with a nasty sinus bug for like two and a half weeks now...the kind of pressure inside one's face that makes it hard to think straight let alone post coherently.

Still need to get a writeup and intro fic for Stony (and I owe Heritage a PM for that too), not to mention getting my intro over in MH.

I have a bit of a vacay this week so assuming I can get better by this weekend I can resume my steps towards participation.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for my absence. I've had some family in town, and they extended their stay for an extra week. Today is my son's birthday, but after that everyone is getting the heck out of the house and I will be able to devote some spare time to writing. I haven't disappeared.

• 2 weeks later...

So to activate the power, she'd spend qp, and roll App+Rating for successes to determine how convincing and complete the disguise is. In a "contested" situation (for example, if she's pretending to be an actual person, say a military officer surrounded by people who know them, or is wearing a disguise inappropriate to the situation) the others get to reflexively roll their Per v. her Q+Succ to see if suspicions are aroused. If they succeed, she's subject to closer scrutiny and may have to try to bluff or fight her way out of it; if she succeeds, no one's the wiser.

Am I understanding that correctly? I like the idea, and I appreciate the suggestions, so I want to make sure everyone's on the same page if you're all okay with this.

Yes, that is pretty much how I saw it working. The only question is in a tie, is she the defender vs. their Perception-awareness? I'd say yes.

It's a little different, now. Click your name in the top right of the menu, just above the search bar. Go to your profile. On the right, you will see two buttons: "Characters," and "Edit My Profile." Click "Characters." On the left, you will see two tabs: "Characters" (the default) and "Add Subaccount." Click the latter, and enter your desired name. Hope that helps.

Sweet as sin! That's a much, much better way to run it than when I was here last!

And since I'm here, I'm thinking about a character for this game. Is there any special pronouncement I have to make, or can I just dive in?

Sweet as sin! That's a much, much better way to run it than when I was here last!

And since I'm here, I'm thinking about a character for this game. Is there any special pronouncement I have to make, or can I just dive in?

Some people like to vet their concept, but if you're comfortable with criticism, then I'd say go for it.

As an aside: How many sub-accounts can you create?

I don't know that there is a limit. I've not hit it yet.

Another quick question: What Backgrounds do you have to take for what rank in your countries' militaries? Do we have a formal setup for that, or no?

We do not. Just wing it. :D Or ask here for specific opinions. We do it by consensus on RPG post.

I am pulling June.In Greeks she will get called away as her Uncle was in danger. (He is in a wheelchair and stuff). But instead she meets her end. I think it is for the better, honestly.

Alex is ready, and I think I'll do quite well. Expect the start of his origin story in the next couple days.

• 2 weeks later...

Who is still interested and active in this setting? I know I am and Carv's moving right along and Justin is a founding member alongisde Carv, just wondering who else is.

Also should we just shelve Greeks and free everyone up for participating in other threads or starting their own? Greeks I think has died. In any case, I guess it's time for a roll call.

We don't need a roll call. This game exists for people to post when they can or when they want, and there is no expectation for them to post. Just let people do their own thing, including those left in Greeks - since you are no longer in that story. Let them finish or not, as they want.

Looking at creating a 'gentleman adventurer' type character who's been around the world a few times. He's a Dynamic born at the turn of the 20th century, fought in the tail-end of WW1, and spent the next 20 years acting disgracefully in far-flung corners of the world. A pulp-hero, Han-Solo type who uses his wits as much as his guns and fists. He's helping the Allies because, when all is said and done, he's a decent enough chap. ;) British aristocrat, charming, roguish and a pain in the rear end. He could get involved in practically any theatre of the war, from Far East to the Western Front.

One thing I was considering was his signature weapon. I could build it using the Device rules as given in the opening post (he's something of a tinkerer), but to be frank that means pumping a lot of NPs into it and pretty much making a ray gun. Or I could use the Adventure! Gadget background, which would make a lot more sense in my mind.

The weapon would be loosely based on Hellboy's 'Samaritan' pistol. A huge-bored revolver, good for 4 or 5 shots only, firing the sort of rounds you'd expect to find in a Nitro Express elephant gun (they'd be .666 calibre :angel1: ). It could fire different loads, from buckshot to solid to explosive rounds, and could be 'powered-up' using a Claws Kinetic Charge power for those special occasions. I'll be up-front about it, I also plan to have this guy take a few dots of the Incorporation power from New Flesh. He is one with his gun. ;)

So I'm throwing this out here to ask permission to have the Gun (working title) built as a Gadget rather than a q-powered Device. Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

People seem to not know what to do with their PCs in A&A so I thought this might help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_World_War_II_(1941)#May_1941

These are the events in World War II in May, 1941. Find story ideas!

,, ,, May 1941
220px-Paratroopers_Crete_%2741.JPG
magnify-clip.png
German paratroopers land in Crete
  • 1: Seven nights of bombing of Liverpool begins, resulting in wide devastation.
  • 2: British forces at RAF Habbaniya launch pre-emptive air strikes against Iraqi forces besieging them and the Anglo-Iraqi War begins.
  • 3: Belfast, Northern Ireland, experiences another heavy bombing.
    : British forces in Ethiopia begin the investment of Amba Alagi where Italian forces under the Duke of Aosta have taken up defensive positions.
  • 5: Five years from the day he was forced to flee, Emperor Haile Selassie enters Addis Ababa, his capital, in triumph.
  • 6: With much of the Iraqi air force destroyed and facing regular bombardment themselves, the Iraqi ground forces besieging RAF Habbaniya withdraw.
    : The Luftwaffe arranges to send a small force to Iraq.
  • 7: Between Habbaniya and Fallujah, two Iraqi columns are caught in the open and attacked by roughly forty British aircraft; the Iraqis suffer heavy casualties.
  • 8: Heavy convoy losses in the Atlantic continue; however, one U-boat (U-110) is captured by the British navy and another copy of the "Enigma" machine is discovered and saved. It will help to turn the fortunes in the Atlantic battle.
    : Bombing of Nottingham.
  • 9: A Japanese brokered peace treaty signed in Tokyo ends the French-Thai War.
  • 10: Rudolf Hess is captured in Scotland after bailing out of his plane; his self-appointed mission was to make peace with the United Kingdom.
    : The United Kingdom's House of Commons is damaged by the Luftwaffe in an air raid. Other targets are Hull, Liverpool, Belfast, and the shipbuilding area of the River Clyde in Scotland. This is close to the end of the Blitz, as Germany shifts its focus toward Soviet Union and the East.
  • 12: The RAF bombs several German cities, including Hamburg, Emden, and Berlin.
    : The Soviet Union recognizes Rashid Ali's "National Defence Government" in Iraq.
  • 13: Yugoslav Army Colonel Draža Mihailović summons up the "Yugoslav Army in the Fatherland" which mostly consists of Serbs, but also includes Slovenes, Bosnians, and Croats. Mihailović trecks from Bosnia into central Serbia, Ravna Gora, and issues an uprising call promising a struggle against the occupiers and the restoration of the Yugoslavian Monarchy. At this point, Josip Broz Tito and theYugoslav Partisans are aligned with the Soviet Union which is still friendly with Germany.
    : The bulk of the German "Flyer Command Iraq" (Fliegerführer Irak) arrives in Mosul to support the Iraqi government of Rashid Ali.
  • 14: The RAF is authorized to act against German aircraft in Syria and on Vichy French airfields.
  • 15: First Civilian Public Service camp opens for conscientious objectors in the United States.
  • 16: Rommel defeats a counter-attack, "Brevity", at Halfaya Pass. The two sides trade alternating control of Fort Capuzzo and Halfaya Pass.
  • 17: British forces in the Habbaniya area advance on Iraqi-held Fallujah and, in five days fighting, push the Iraqis out.
  • 18: The Duke of Aosta, Viceroy of Italian East Africa, surrenders his forces at Amba Alagi.
  • 20: German paratroopers land on Crete; the battle for Crete will continue for seven days.
    : The German military mission to Iraq, Special Staff F (Sonderstab F), is created to support of "The Arab Freedom Movement in the Middle East. Sonderstab F is to include Fliegerführer Irak and other elements already in Iraq.
  • 21: The US merchantman SS Robin Moor is sunk by German submarine U-69. The incident startles the nation, and President Roosevelt shortly announces an "unlimited national emergency."
    : The Italian Viceroy in Ethiopia surrenders. Remnants of Italian troops keep on fighting.
  • 22: Iraqi forces unsuccessfully counter-attack the British forces in Fallujah and are rebuffed.
  • 23: German dictator Adolf Hitler issues "Fuhrer Directive No. 30 in support of "The Arab Freedom Movement in the Middle East", his "natural ally against England."
  • 24: British battle cruiser HMS Hood is sunk by a powerful salvo from German battleship Bismarck in the North Atlantic.
    : The Greek government leaves Crete for Cairo.
  • 26: In the North Atlantic, Fairey Swordfish aircraft from the carrier HMS Ark Royal fatally cripple the Bismarck in torpedo attack.
  • 27: The German battleship Bismarck is sunk in the North Atlantic, after evasive tactics, and a damaged steering system which forced it into an endless series of circular movements.
    : The British forces from the Habbaniya area begin an advance on Baghdad and, within four days, approach the city from the west and from the north.
    : Twelve Italian aircraft arrive at Mosul to join Fliegerführer Irak.
  • 28: British and Commonwealth forces begin to evacuate Crete.
    : By this date, it is clear that operation "Brevity" has failed.
  • 29: Members of the German military mission flee Iraq.
  • 30: Rashid Ali and his supporters flee Iraq.
  • 31: Heavy Luftwaffe bombing on neutral Ireland's capital; numerous civilian casualties.
    : The Mayor of Baghdad surrenders the city to British forces and ends the Anglo-Iraqi War.

Hey all, I'm looking to do a character who works for the French intelligence (or what is left of it,Bureau Central de Renseignements et d'Action ), as a sort of 'national treasure'. He is travelling Europe gathering information on as many Dynamics as he can find, under the guise of a reporter. He will sneak, lie, interview and report on all sightings on his travels. His powers are non lethal and mostly for defence and reconnaissance purposes.

Still working on the character but that's the gist of what I have so far. Hopefully he will fit in with some of the stories going on, and his story will expand alongside. Any advice is most welcome.

If he wants to not blow his cover, he should have something offensive, in my opinion. If he doesn't want to be known as a dynamic, I should clarify. If he's only got defensive, people are going to figure it out real fast when he bounces bullets or however you decide to handle his do-not-die! powers. ;)

Golden Gun Play or some of the martial arts stuff could seem human enough if he was careful about what he showed.

However, please take this as suggestion and not a requirement. I don't want you to change your concept if you're set on playing a non-combatant in a war zone. And I'll be honest - as someone who is playing a kind-hearted, non-violent person, it'd be nice for her to have someone who doesn't deal out death like a playing card. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hagen -

If you want to bounce ideas off us, feel free to. We're always interested in seeing more people join the madness, and a spy-type who focuses on information gathering would be an interesting and challenging character to add.

Hope people don't think I've abandoned me post hehe I'm still writing it up, might need some help. I've finished the human side of him, just deciding between powers, if he will have powers and yada yada. I'm also thinking ahead about the character, he is non-violent at the moment but as I understand some powers when used to often can go to his head and damage him mentally... I was thinking before that happens he is an intelligent man who thirsts for knowledge and has strong ideals and french nationalism, when he gets his breakdown he becomes a sort of Napoleon Fanatic, believing in his ideals full heartedly and if allowed to continue living, could start another war once Hitlars armies have weakened. And carry on the conquest of Napoleon...
That is if it ever comes to that an my character is allowed to be such a centre point :D
Also trying to decide between the following powers (again, if he does end up getting powers), but while still keeping him anonymous... he is a secret operative agent gathering intel and making dossiers on all known Dynamics

Bodymorph (gas), Clone, Density Control, Disorient, Disrupt, Intuition, Luck, Magnetic Mastery (Magnetic Shield, Magnetize), Molecular Manipulation (Animation, Destruction, Molecular Alteration, Shape Alteration), Premonition, Telekinesis, Teleport.
I have added Amnesia to his backgrounds and feel I need to fix something about it so that it fits in his timeline or get rid of it altogether. What I know for definite is his family thinks he is dead, he has no knowledge of his families existence and the agency is using him for his special skills/knowledge (or he is using the agency as funding for his project, "Encyclopedia of Dynamics")
I need to figure out if he was well educated joined the agency and then got brainwashed when they saw his worth.... or if he showed his worth, got brainwashed then got educated specifically in espionage. If the former, it wouldn't be possible to erase his memories of his family but keep his education would it? Also need to figure out where in his timeline he first got his powers (if any) and his families standing in society (rich/poor) before the war, because at the moment his mother and brother are dead and his dad is fighting for the rebels.

• 3 weeks later...

The last 6 months flashed by in a blur. I'd hoped to get up and running in this game by February but life got away from me after an injury, sinus infection, and several work projects. My character still needs some development work to be totally ready to play, which Heritage offered to assist with, but I'm still totally psyched for this setting.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having some trouble being interested in this game and I do know why. I originally wanted to bring Lady Anne Aceworth into the game and I couldn't. This character was supposed to be her, yet now as Alex I am not interested in the character at all.

Would it be possible to get a do-over with the actual character (Anne)?

Well, I already talked to Mike (Magnum Opus) as the change really would affect him, and his changes are minor and he was okay with the idea. I'm just wondering if everyone else was okay before I actually do the change. I'll have to rebuild the character as well.

I'm just not happy with Alex.

How did you want to do carry this out? Are you wanting to go back and say that she was always a woman? Or are you wanting to pull a OM and have Alex's gender change? It wouldn't have to be during eruption; this is pulp and weird science happens all the time.

How about the exposure Alex had to Quantum energy wasn't one wave but two. A rare synch of X and C waves. Such a synch is random as to what it causes to an erupting or erupted nova. Either that or he is "Still cooking" when he gets zapped by a Nazi's wunderwaffe and ends up being changed in a unintended way.

If this is a good alternative to going through the process of a complete re-write I am very amicable to this idea.

So... this is going to be... awkward. And a incoming medical discharge.

Thanks, Dawn... again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm out. If people want a definitive fate for Anne, the US lost it's nerve and saddled her as a test pilot taking her out of combat situations. I really don't want to be this character anymore. Everything I was planning has collapsed, and I got too much going on to try to focus on this.

• 1 month later...

Hi. In interest of giving people enough time to work on stuff for the setting, we're changing how we do in-game time. The slow nature of open world games means that months of real life can slip by too quickly. It can cause people to fall so far behind their plans for their characters. In interest of giving people more real life time to explore the setting, we're going to have the next year of real time cover four months of game time - specifically, September of 1941 to December of 1941. We'll do four months per year going forward. The timeline looks like:

2013 - through the end of August 1941

2014 - September 1941 to December 1941

2015 - January 1942 to April 1942

2016 - May 1942 to August 19420

2017 - September 1942 to December 1942

And so on.

• 2 months later...

You publish our adventures?

Dead Rising could make a killing right now...Zombies AND supers??? Both such hot commodities in Hollywood: release the book/graphic novel and be sure to hold on to the film/tv rights! (Lest it become bastardized like Wanted or World War Z)

I don't publish the adventures here, not yet. If I did, those involved would know because I'd ask permission before using their IP. I'd be offended if someone used my characters without my permission, particularly since I'd likely grant permission if asked.

Forge was looking at writing the adventures of Ira and Cassie, with my full blessing. Real life has since swallowed him so I don't know what the status is. I have considered writing DR but detangling the plot from the PCs and getting their permission to be used is daunting enough that I've never done it. At this point, I'd rather to something with my two A&A characters.

The Magic Earth game is playing within a setting idea I have for a story. Right now, my two major writing projects are both original stories that have never been featured or played here on the site, one of which is a space opera/epic. I keep people here updated about my books' statuses.

Archived