Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Axis and Allies World setting

Dawn OOC

I see, well...yes another "oversight" in the rules then. Honestly for such a glaring and obvious gap in the rules I would have no problem house ruling something for you...your character seems intriguing enough and I like the idea of another German in the game. I hear that you are reticent to ask but I can't see the consensus denying you something like that. Heck, I have a homebrew extra I would like to propose down the line for my character, though not for awhile yet because I want to build up more trust first and have other things I could do first anyways without it.

Anyway, here's hoping you change your mind. Edit: I don't know...I just reread appearance alteration and it seems to be the intent of the power though the fluff makes it seem like it is actually trying to be another version of seductive looks...maybe different writers throwing both things in. However the crunch let's you add or remove height and weight and change eye hair and skin color. The only thing missing that is needed is to say it can adjust facial bone structure...

Honestly I would argue that seductive looks should match that part of the fluff of AppAlt and that the system of AppAlt should be modified to give bonuses or autosuccesses on disguise rolls. If you look in the system part it actually doesn't really give any other bonus.

Would anyone else take issue with just dropping the one sentence about "conforming to the tastes of others hence no disguise" clause...that is really supposed to be the flavor and function of seductive looks...

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be fine with it being a Level 2 power, assuming it affects her appearance, sex, clothing and has a mechanic, such as Quantum + successes on the power roll vs. Perception to notice something is up with the dynamic. "Noticing" her doesn't mean they see through the disguise but instead they notice something is wrong with the disguise. Perhaps the roll is Appearance + power rating?

That's my take on it. Anyone want to add/refute something?

Einherjar, the Nazi ubermensch. Posterboy for the Aryan ideal. Face of the elite Axis supersoldiers. A terrifying force of nature who has swept across Europe like the storm personified and crushed the lives of thousands under his heel.

And secretly an Allied spy who has been working for them for years, ever since his warrior-Norse idealism was burned away by the reality of the Nazis.

Thoughts? :D

You are awesome. Speaking of which, I am working on a few different ideas for a Jewish resistance fighter.

- Someone who transforms into 'the Golem.' (Bodymorph: Stone)

- 'The Golem Maker' (user of Quantum Construct)

- The Poltergeist (Invisibility with Extended Effect, Density Decrease, and a dot or two of TK)

Thanks to Asa and Mike for their suggestions here...

I'd be fine with it being a Level 2 power, assuming it affects her appearance, sex, clothing and has a mechanic, such as Quantum + successes on the power roll vs. Perception to notice something is up with the dynamic. "Noticing" her doesn't mean they see through the disguise but instead they notice something is wrong with the disguise. Perhaps the roll is Appearance + power rating?

That's my take on it. Anyone want to add/refute something?

So to activate the power, she'd spend qp, and roll App+Rating for successes to determine how convincing and complete the disguise is. In a "contested" situation (for example, if she's pretending to be an actual person, say a military officer surrounded by people who know them, or is wearing a disguise inappropriate to the situation) the others get to reflexively roll their Per v. her Q+Succ to see if suspicions are aroused. If they succeed, she's subject to closer scrutiny and may have to try to bluff or fight her way out of it; if she succeeds, no one's the wiser.

Am I understanding that correctly? I like the idea, and I appreciate the suggestions, so I want to make sure everyone's on the same page if you're all okay with this.

Hello fellow A&Aers.

I am very excited for this setting and my character in particular. However that means absolutely 'zilch' if I have no one to play with. The fact is: I game for social reasons. If nobody wants to play/write with me, and I am doomed to just write fics by myself in a corner...then there is really no point. I could do that on my own, and frankly the effort wouldn't be worth it. In that case I might as well just imagine it all on my brain, because who else would care? I play RPGs to play with others.

So that being said I would like to take a head count of who my friends are here, or at least people willing to give me a chance to play with them. So far I have a maybe from Jordan, though he said tonight in chat that he wasn't sure if he would be participating.

Mike? Ein? Heritage? Lola? Jeremy? Krul? Dozer? Vivi? Ace? Shimmer? Knockout? Envoy? Anyone?

Who is willing to have happy fun times with me here?

I'm going to come out and say that's never a matter of choice. A victim isn't always weak; it's a perception built in our culture that only a weak person is trapped, that all you have to do to avoid being victimized is to be strong enough. That's why violence against people is so awful: it's something bad that they cannot stop. Sometimes, you get hurt by a violent person anyway.

I'm pointing this out because I started my PC in a position that many would see as weak, and I'm not okay with her being seen that way because of some cultural belief that only "weak" people can be damaged or hurt by others. Also, this is something that I see in real life, from the woman getting raped because she wasn't "strong enough to fight them off" or the man getting mugged because he didn't pull some Chuck Norris BS out of his ass and prevent the mugging.

Strength is only measured by the strongest weakling. the weakest person that will match you.

Fortitude is far more important. Moral and Ethical. You can be a brute but if you have no morals or ethics, you might as well be pond scum. Because that is all you're worth.

But yes, that is a very valid point. Although, Silvestru, you are notoriously mean to your characters. Just saying.

So far, from chat I have Mike, Kamiko, Heritage, Envoy, AP, and possibly Ace as well in the neutral/friendly camp, so I will go ahead and move forward.

Still working stuff out behind the scenes (thanks to Dawn for helping me find the human side), and as per the groups request am toning down my personal nemesis to be less ridiculous.

I've made a slight change to shimmer's background, her mentor is the Native America Shaman, Bright Eagle, who is also a nova himself... it made much more sense to me.

On a different note, I'm willing to play with anyone else, sky, with regards to your earlier question.

Concept submission time.

Even though the Soviets were allied with the Axis powers until June of 1941, I would like play a Soviet superman character. I have made this login in anticipation that this would be acceptable. The short term story would be growing disillusionment with the ideological position of the Stalinist government, with an epiphany occurring in June (perhaps my character could even help provoke the German invasion, causing the Soviet reversal, though that is not of course set in stone). He is part of a very small (2-3 man) special unit of Dynamics, codenamed 'Титан', or 'Titan'. The West, of course, when they learn of his exploits, commonly refer to him as 'The Red Titan'.

Let me know if this is viable.

Lemme start by saying I like this idea, even if it isn't going to work. To play that concept, you'll need to be on the side of the Allies at start of play. We don't allow Axis players, even ones whose story arcs will cause them to flip sides. We do allowed Allied spies in Axis-held areas. If you'd like to play that character, you could have the epiphany appearing in flashbacks.

The only other thing I'll say is that it sounds like you'll be alone on your piece of the board, at least for a while. Are you good with telling stories by yourself? If not, you might consider another concept--or recruit others to Russia. ;)

Fair enough. How about this:

Expanding on the idea that Red Titan may have influenced the German invasion, causing the Soviets to flip sides, what if that was his mission all along? Raised from the age of 7 in Great Britain by Russian immigrant parents, upon his Dynamic emergence, he is recruited and indoctrinated by MI5. In late 1940, he is sent to infiltrate the Russian hinterlands and assume a pre-prepared identity with the goal of joining the Sovietskya Armitska. Once in the army, he staged a new Dynamic emergence, etc. Short term goals are to hinder the effectiveness of the Soviets in working with Germany, with the ultimate, longshot goal of sabotaging the Russo-Aryan alliance.

Pick up the story of Титан as a Spetsnaz Dinamik junior officer, acting as the perfect Soviet super soldier, but with another agenda all his own. Pulled between the duty he owes his family and adopted country and pride in his heritage and fear of getting caught in this behind-enemy-lines double agent thriller.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I considered that Einherjar and I (and possibly Der Golem) would need to at least be in some communique to coordinate our plans. Or, through an intermediary (perhaps a shared contact). Or, as the Nazi Ubermensch and the USSR's Novi Sovetsky, perhaps they come in contact in a PR capacity. Dunno, we'll have to have that discussion, he may not want to have that story. Either way, I'm going to consider my submission accepted and work up the character sheet. Thanks!

I updated the setting material: added a bit to the eruption information, added a blurb about "-isms" in the setting (the exact same thing that has been said before, just making it official), and added a character limit rule.

I have a proposal I'd like to run by the group. This was discussed a bit before in chat, but having looking Biomanip over, I'd like to suggest a way for the power suite to be available in the game.

First: Healing, the base power, sucks. It's incredibly limited and not worth the NP or XP spent on it. So get rid of it.

Second: Break Biomanip down into the techniques (Body Manipulation, Form Manipulation, Growth, and Health Manipultion). Leave them as level THREE powers, but drop the Q-minimum to 5 so that they can be bought in the A&A setting (and in CN, if people wanted it over there, I suppose).

The New Powers:

• Health Manipulation is a healing power actually worth taking, unlike the Healing base power.
  • Body Maniplution is basically the Poison power plus the Pheromone body mods. The fertility aspects of this power don't matter near as much in A&A since there is no Proteus or sterility cocktail - making it interesting, but not a game-changer.
  • Growth is another kind of odd duck, but all it can do is force-grow something/someone to their adult size. Interesting uses for the creative, but again, not a huge game-changer without a lot of character in-game time devoted to nothing but the use of Growth (technically, you could reforst the Sahara, but that's all you'd be doing for the entirety of the game).
  • Form Manipulation is the most powerful of these powers on an immediate game-time scale. It's also a bit squicky, depending on how you use it. Of all of the techniques, this is the one that I think is why it was made a Q6 minimum suite. I'd up the difficulty on it, lower the effectiveness, or just dump it completely and let the other three powers into play. Personally, I'd advocated dumping it.

The Ranges/Areas for the powers are all in meters, not kilometers. This is in line with level 3 powers.

,, ,, ,,

Thoughts?

The game was meant to be a lower powered game, I think we should just leave it as is, beyond the realm of the game, There's no need to go dropping powers, splitting up others, raising levels and such.

I say no.

However, because this is open world, everyone does have a say, and if the majority are okay with it, so be it. If it is allowed, I'd like to see Form Manipulation dropped altogether.

I'd like to see Health Manipulation replace Healing, at the least. Both would be Level 3, Quantum 5, but Health Manip allows you to harm as well as heal which is pretty neat.

Body Manipulation would also be interesting, adding something else to the level 2 Poison power.

The other two don't matter so much; Form Manipulation shouldn't be in the game for balance issues, Growth is a great NPC power, so having that just for a nefarious German/Soviet/Japanese plot to grow boy-soldiers into child-like men-soldiers would be a good story.

Those are my thoughts.

Archived