Fate: No Exit - [FATE Core] No Exit (OOC)

Charlotte

Welcome to Carver and Malachite, our two newest players!

Now, one thing I'd like everyone to do is to create separate threads to host their character sheets. Right now I've got scattered sheets across two computers and buried within the OOC thread. So if everyone can create separate threads for their No Exit characters, I'd appreciate it, and I'd treat those copies as the final word in any rules irregularities.

Remember, older players, it's default 3 Refresh and 3 Stunts. If you don't have those, you'll need to pick out extra stunts. Once everyone's posted their sheets to separate threads, then we can bring Carver and Malachite in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Emanuel, it's been about a week since the last post of mine you had a chance to respond to, so this is the one-week check in.

Charles, it's been about a week since the last post of mine you had a chance to respond to, so this is the one-week check in.

• 2 weeks later...

Emanuel, it's been two weeks since I last saw you post and you had an opportunity to respond to a post I made, so I will unfortunately have to remove you from active play.

I may be persuaded to let you continue on, if you promise, with sincerity, to post with far more regularity - at least once a week, if not more.

Alternately, if you no longer wish to play, please let me know if you have any special requests for how you want your character removed from play, and I will see what I can do to accommodate you.

• 2 weeks later...

Charles, it's been over a week since you had a post you had an opportunity to respond to, so this is the one-week check in.

Malachite, Gabe, and Carver: I sense your conversation losing a bit of steam, so did you want to fast-forward to a new location, and if so, which one?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This has been No Exit: Episode One.

I will post Episode Two tomorrow (August 25th, 2013.)

In the meantime, this is officially the end of the "session," so it is time for a Refresh and a Minor Milestone.

A Refresh is when you regain all your spent FATE points and are brought up to your Refresh level (base of 3, minus any stunts you've taken over your initial 3.) In the event, in the future, that any of you are over that limit, you will stay over that limit until the end of the scenario (so beyond the scope of this game.)

A Minor Milestone is essentially an opportunity for character change (not so much advancement - that covers Major Milestones and higher.) This Milestone you have just hit will let you:

• Switch the rank values of any two skills, or replace one Average (+1) skill with one that isn’t on your sheet. (Clarity is not one of the skills you can do this with. Clarity is only unlocked when you regain memories.)
  • Change any single stunt for another stunt.
  • Purchase a new stunt, provided you have the refresh to do so (remember, you can’t go below 1 refresh.)
  • Rename any Minor or Major consequences to start the mending process. (Uriel has a Minor Consequence from falling down the stairs. He can rename it and in a scene or two it'll go away.)

Actual advancement is reserved for regaining memories and more major milestones, which are coming.

That was Episode One. We made it through a little banged up and bloody, but we made it. Now, can people tell me what I got right and what could have gone better?

That was Episode One. We made it through a little banged up and bloody, but we made it. Now, can people tell me what I got right and what could have gone better?

Mike, for the part I was with, I didn't have any complaints about your performance as an ST. You've been very accommodating to us newbies, too. :)

• 2 weeks later...

No Exit is now recruiting! Charles is semi-retired at the moment and Zoo is sadly no longer with us. Hopefully Charles will be back soon enough, but in the meantime, I'd like to get some new players into the system.

I'm looking for one (1) player to brave the perils of the Complex and your own unreliable memories. We'll be using the FATE Core System, which is available for purchase here:

http://www.evilhat.com/home/fate-core-downloads/

If you have questions, please ask.

Forge (AKA Damon OOC) has expressed interest, and I'm taking him up on it. Welcome to No Exit, Damon!

I'm going to be combing through the backstories of the existing characters and figuring out where the holes are. In the meantime, Damon, I'd like a general High Concept and Trouble for your character. So far we have a bar bouncer, an ex-military medic, a horror novelist, a corporate spy and a psychiatrist.

Once I have it sorted, I'll start figuring out what to map to what and you can get started on the other three Aspects.

For easier discussion:

High Concept: Black Sheep, Trust Fund Baby

Trouble: High-Functioning Junkie

You have stated that you like the concept but worry about being able to utilize the High Concept Aspect in the game. I am guessing you have brought this up because it is mostly a social aspect which you stated for others in character creation would have little impact considering the setting.

This is definitely a valid point, so I wonder if I am able to just slightly modify to something akin to:

-Trust fund baby who modeled underwear

Alluding to looks which would allow from some Aspect usage.

Thoughts? I am open to feedback from anyone.

Ira, "Good Looking Trust Fund Baby" or words to that effect work fine by me. That's great.

Everyone, this is what I have for who guest-starred in whose stories, not counting Emanuel and the two players who didn't join us before the game started.

no-exit-map.png

Inactive characters Howard and Emanuel are italicized. I'm not treating Charles as inactive just yet, but if it's a choice between someone with a connection to Charles and someone with a connection to another active PCs, I'll favor the person connected to Charles when it comes to forging new connections.

If this map's inaccurate, let me know. If it's not, judging by the map, the characters who need the most TLC are James, followed by Uriel, followed by everyone else.

I'm still musing on how to do the connections - everyone getting a new Aspect with the new connection, reworking an existing Aspect, or something else - so if you have suggestions let me know.

Everyone checks in and says they're fine, so I'll treat it as such.

Forge, your High Concept and Trouble Aspects are both approved. Here's what happens next.

What happens next is your Phase Trio - three short stories (as little as a paragraph will do) chronicling the rise and fall of Ira Sagebrush. Here's how the three stories will work.

Story One: An adventure you had where you came out on top. This can be anything that suits the character - there are many kinds of adventures. This is essentially the rise of Ira Sagebrush. Once this is written, pick an Aspect for Ira associated with this memory - a sentence that describes a character or story trait.

Story Two: You guest-star in another player's character's story. I have selected James Duncan for this honor. You can guest-star in any of his stories from any point in his past. SalmonMax plays James Duncan, so contact him to see how your two paths crossed. You select another Aspect from this.

Story Three: This is the downfall of Ira Sagebrush - something happened that finally brought him low and sent his life on an inexorable path towards the Complex. In this story, Uriel will guest-star, played by Gabe OOC - so contact him to see how his path crossed with yours as you hit your nadir. You'll pick up another Aspect from this story.

Then you'll need to select:

• Skills: One at +4, two at +3, three at +2, and four at +1. In addition, you get the special game-specific skill Clarity at +1 to start with.
  • Stunts: Three by default. You may trade points of Refresh for Stunts on a one-to-one basis.
  • Refresh: Starts at 3.
  • Pick an Inviolate Memory: One of your memories happened exactly as you remember it. The others? Well. Finding out the truth behind what really happened in your past is one of the chief goals of the game...
  • Tell me about your Touchstones: Each memory aspect has an associated small, portable object associated with it. This object helps you recall and invoke the memory's power.
  • Tell me what floor you live on in the Complex. Levels one through seven are available. There is no significance to the floor you choose. Honest.
  • Describe your apartment. No place in the Complex may be 100% safe, but at least your apartment is familiar. Pick two Aspects that describe it.

That's almost everything done, but not quite. Since I'd like to preserve inter-player connections and we've lost a few players, I'm giving everyone a bonus memory.

This bonus memory can be from any point in your character's life. Everyone gets one - even you, Charles, if you still want to be here! Ira gets this memory too. This memory can even come from a time after you moved to the Complex, though do not expect this memory to be super-clear.

You gain a bonus Aspect from this memory, though Clarity - should you unlock your memories - will still be capped at +3. However, if you choose to expend a memory and destroy the related Touchstone, sacrificing a part of yourself to overcome a towering problem - then based on the three remaining memories, you could still conceivably hit Clarity +3.

This is who, based on preferences that have been expressed, is paired up with who:

• Agri: Will write a story guest-starring Ira, and gain an Aspect and a touchstone from it.
  • James: Will write a story guest-starring Lien, and gain an Aspect and a touchstone from it.
  • Uriel: Will write a story guest-starring James, and gain an Aspect and a touchstone from it.
  • Lien: Will write a story guest-starring James, and gain an Aspect and a touchstone from it. This can be the same story as the one mentioned further up the list, or a different story. If it's the same story, you both get Aspects from it.
  • Ira: Will write a story guest-starring Lien, and gain an Aspect and a touchstone from it.
  • Charles: Will write a story guest-starring Agri, and gain an Aspect and a touchstone from it.

I'd like to get the game restarted within a week or two, so get to writing and welcome back to the Complex. We missed you all so much.

Mike, Ira - please let me know what you think of this for an aspect/connection:

,, ,,

A Woman Has Her Pride – One night, a kid was hassling the girls at the bar. Agrippina was ordered to get him out of the bar, but the owner pulled her aside and told her to do it without hurting him or causing any damage. When she expressed disbelief at the gentle treatment, he explained that he knew Ira’s father. He promised her a bonus and the rest of the night off if she got him home safely.

So Agri caught the kid, stuffed him into a cab and got him to his neighborhood. He was too drunk to give her directions, but not too drunk to hit on her while she wandered around looking for his house. He also offered her drugs, repeatedly, until she threatened to break his hand if he did it one more time. At his doorstep, he invited her up to his room. Since this was after she’d gotten her scar, the move reeked of desperation. For a long moment, Agri considered agreeing. But she had some pride and left him staggering around his front hallway.

,, ,,

So Agri caught the kid, stuffed him into a cab and got him to his neighborhood. He was too drunk to give her directions, but not too drunk to hit on her while she wandered around looking for his house. He also offered her drugs, repeatedly, until she threatened to break his hand if he did it one more time. At his doorstep, he invited her up to his room. Since this was after she’d gotten her scar, the move reeked of desperation. For a long moment, Agri considered agreeing. But she had some pride and left him staggering around his front hallway.

,, ,,

I added the italicized part - let me know if that does it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, Ira - please let me know what you think of this for an aspect/connection:

,, ,,

A Woman Has Her Pride – One night, a kid was hassling the girls at the bar. Agrippina was ordered to get him out of the bar, but the owner pulled her aside and told her to do it without hurting him or causing any damage. When she expressed disbelief at the gentle treatment, he explained that he knew Ira’s father. He promised her a bonus and the rest of the night off if she got him home safely.

This is my new one, Mike.

Doctor's Orders

Dr. Volcov was required by his department to participate in a community service and outreach program as an unofficial penalty for getting the university some less than favorable publicity. He was assigned to do psychiatric evaluations and therapy at a local prison. This was the establishment where Agrippina Solas was incarcerated. He was assigned several inmates to work with and she was the only one he found academically interesting. After a couple sessions, long enough to cover the required basics and perform some psychoanalysis to satisfy his own curiosity he took her into his confidence and revealed his resentment at the outreach assignment. He then offered to help her more directly by switching from 'therapy' to coaching, giving her pointers and allowing her to practice the proper approach to reach and get past the parole board early. The techniques he taught her may have helped her control her temper somewhat as well, but he was not especially motivated to reduce such an unusually pronounced psychological feature.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone, I'm sorry, but things have reached a breaking point in my life and I need to cut some extraneous activities, and No Exit is one of them.

Playing in a game, I can still continue on with, but GMing is something I flatly don't have the time for for at least the next few months, if not the next year. And to be honest, I know I've dropped the ball very badly with this game and it's lost a lot of the very moderate amount of momentum it had. I think it's best to shutter it.

Damon, I'm especially sorry to you for having led you on by thinking that this game was going somewhere. All I can say is that I sincerely intended to fully integrate you into the game and I'm sorry that it didn't work out, and I one thousand percent understand it if you're upset with me, though I hope you're not.

Everyone, I'll have the details on what mysteries I intended your backgrounds to have in the next few days. What the actual Complex is, that I'm going to hold close to my chest. I do hope to run it at a later date when I have more time and am a better GM, and anyone here has a standing invitation for when that day comes. If you'd rather I kept secret the details of your hidden backgrounds in the event that you want to redo the character for when/if I manage to run this again, let me know.

Again, I'm sorry it didn't work out. I wish it had.

Aww, well, I understand. Real life has that effect, and I'm glad you found it in yourself to be honest with us and yourself, rather than let it build to a crisis point.

I'll think about the reveal...I may want to bring James back. But I am also curious. So let me think on that. :)

Archived