Fate: No Exit - [FATE Core] No Exit (OOC)

Charlotte

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tquid: I'm looking at Phase Three and the story I write that you guest-star in. Since the Aspect will go to Uriel and it will send him on the path to the Complex, I'm thinking about having something like a symposium for bigwigs where Uriel is infiltrating to get some work done... but a chance conversation with one of the guests, the popular artist Howard Tulchinkys, would make him wonder if his lifestyle is really worth it...

Mike: The Complex is where he intended to stay, in simpler surroundings while he assessed his life... obviously that did not go as planned.... :D

Hi Uriel (how do we change our display names to reflect our character's name?),

That sounds cool to me. I think you might expect cryptic and prophetic statements from Howard on occasion, while he's staring off into space (perhaps seeing in his mind some burning angel--which makes Uriel's name a rather potent coincidence). If you're liable to be turned by a short thing like that, feel free to do it yourself. If you like I could also compose some mad ramblings (a weird talent of mine)--just seed me with whatever concepts or words would turn Uriel's mind and I'll work them into something that sounds otherwise totally nutbar. :)

Tquid! Lets get our phase wrangled to the ground like a Texas Longhorn at a rodeo! HEE HAW!

Mike had a good idea and suggested we could meet at some kind of publisher event. Now this is me, guest-starring in your story, I think, right? So where do you think, in your story, would meeting the writer of a book that you're doing the cover illustration be appropriate?

I'm still having difficulty communicating who collaborates with who, on what. So later today, I will go through a step-by-step illustration of how character generation works.

In addition, two things. First, I'm catching problems far too late in the process and it's causing too many problems rewriting, so from this point on, I would like everyone to collaborate exclusively in this thread. Hopefully the myriad problems I've been encountering will be solved by everything being out in the open where I can see what's happening - something that hasn't been the case up until now.

Secondly, the deadline for character generation is Friday the 22nd, a little under two weeks from today and nearly a month from when character generation began. II will do everything in my power to help you have your character ready by then, but if you don't have your PC ready by then, I'll have to move on without you. If that means we don't have enough PCs to play, then I will take it as a sign that No Exit is not meant to be.

I am about tearing my hair out in frustration over my inability to communicate properly and get things going, but I'm going to keep trying to get this game off the ground.

I'll pretty this up when I get home from the relatives', but in the meantime:

How the Phase Trio Works: An Example

no-exitexample_zpsbf44fae6.png

In this example, we have five characters: Albert, Bonnie, Claudia, Derek and Elizabeth. They have a GM-made chart of Who Works With Who On What, seen above. For Phase One, each of them writes a solo adventure.

Albert decides that he wants his character to be a hitchhiker crisscrossing America and living out of a backpack. His first big adventure is crisscrossing the country from one coast to the other. He writes down the Aspect "Nothing Ties Me Down," which he can invoke to resist anyone or anything trying to make him settle, and that the GM can invoke to make him restless and filled with wanderlust.

Bonnie decides she wants to be a political representative at the civic level. Her first adventure is a hard-fought negotiation between the city and the transit trade union, heading off a costly strike with an amicable arrangement. She writes down the Aspect "I'm Sure We Can Come to Agreement" as a result.

Claudia is an environmental activist, whose first big adventure involved successfully shutting down a logging company's attempts to clear an old growth forest. She writes down "Never Compromise Your Ideals" to reflect her idealism and obstinate nature.

Derek is a computer programmer, whose first big adventure involved a difficult project that required many hours and many hands. He writes down the Aspect "Can't Rest Until The Job's Done" to represent his workaholic zeal.

Elizabeth works at the FBI, and her Phase One story is the tale of how a minor accounting discrepancy led to cracking a southwest meth distribution network. She writes down "Detail Oriented" to showcase how her character notices finer details (possibly at the expense of larger ones.)

Phase One complete, they turn to Phase Two. They take their Phase One stories and pass them one step up the ladder, above. Then each of them writes a guest-starring role in the Phase One story of the person who passed them a story.

Albert is guest-starring in Elizabeth's Phase One story. Albert decides that in his travels, he came across evidence of the crime ring that Elizabeth broke open, and passed it along as an anonymous tip to help her break up the meth ring. He takes "Always Happy To Help" as an Aspect.

Bonnie is guest-starring in Albert's Phase One story. She decides that she did not get along with Albert with him being a homeless hitchhiker, and pulled some strings to have him arrested and all but thrown out of town. She writes down the Aspect "Uses Influence Like a Crowbar."

Claudia is guest-starring in Bonnie's Phase One story, and decides that she threw a monkey wrench into proceedings by disrupting negotiations with a protest, aimed at trying to get the city to switch to newer buses that are more fuel efficient. She writes down the Aspect "Authority Is Such a Target" to signify how she just can't help but thumb her nose at anyone more powerful than her.

Derek is guest-starring in Claudia's story and decides that they had a brief affair. Claudia gives him the go-ahead, and so Derek decides to use this Aspect to illuminate how he feels about love and the opposite sex. He decides that Claudia, even after the affair ended, became one of his closest friends, and he writes down "Doesn't Make Many Friends, But Makes Them For Life."

Elizabeth is guest-starring in Derek's Phase One story and she works out with Derek's player that the two of them knew each other in college and talk via internet chat every once in a while. After a difficult night on his project, Derek stays up late venting to Elizabeth, who in turn stays up late to help him get his center back. Based on this, she takes the Aspect "Always Has Time For Others."

Phase Two is complete, and now it's time for Phase Three. Here, things get a little different in that there is still collaboration, but one character is more or less in the driver's seat.

Albert's Phase Three story guest-stars Claudia. He decides that he stayed overnight in a camp that Claudia and her fellow activists had made out in the forest, and that during his brief stay he was accused of infiltrating the group. At this accusation, he flew into a rage and got into a fistfight that wound up putting a man in the hospital. Seeing this side of himself shocked Albert and he left without a further word. He writes down the Aspect "Don't You Ever Call Me a Liar."

Bonnie's Phase Three story involves Derek. She decides that Derek's IT company was threatened by Bonnie's strong arm political tactics and someone in the department leaked it to the news. She was forced to resign in disgrace, and became very guarded and somewhat paranoid. She writes down the Aspect "Keeps Her Secrets Very Close."

Claudia's Phase Three story involves Elizabeth. In Claudia's case, the FBI needs to get involved when a spiking goes wrong and a spiked tree winds up unmarked, causing the lumberjack to lose an eye due to metal shrapnel. Claudia believes herself to be at fault, and as a result, takes the Aspect "Double Checks Everything."

Derek's Phase Three story involves Albert. Derek's company folds when critical security errors cause a massive hack to carry off several thousand user names, passwords and personal details. Derek winds up travelling in the same hitchhiked van that Albert is also travelling in, and decides to take Albert's spirit to heart, taking the Aspect "Trying to Get Away From It All."

Elizabeth's Phase Three story involves Bonnie. The last case of Elizabeth's career falls apart in court as Bonnie testifies and gives convincing testimony that punches a hole in Elizabeth's case against a corrupt civic official. Despite this, she continues to press the case, to the point she has to be forcibly removed from it by her superiors. She takes the Aspect "I Know That I'm Right."

So at the end of the trio, Albert has Nothing Ties Me Down, Always Happy to Help, and Don't You Ever Call me a Liar. He picks Don't You Ever Call me a Liar as his inviolate memory, that he remembers the most clearly.

Bonnie has I'm Sure We Can Come to an Agreement, Uses Influence Like a Crowbar, and Keeps Her Secrets Very Close. She choses I'm Sure We Can Come to an Agreement as her inviolate memory.

Claudia has Never Compromise Your Ideals, Authority is Such a Target, and Double Checks Everything. She chooses Authority is Such a Target as her inviolate memory.

Derek has Can't Rest Until the Job's Done, Doesn't Make Many Friends But Makes Them For Life, and Trying to Get Away From It All. He picks Trying to Get Away From It All as his inviolate memory.

Finally Elizabeth has Detail Oriented, Always Has Time For Others, and I Know I'm Right. She picks Detail Oriented as her inviolate Aspect.

The Phase Trio complete, they pick their Touchstones - small items associated with each memory - and then set to picking out Stunts and Skills.

*whew* Hopefully that manages to clear things up for everyone. Sorry, everyone. I could have sworn I'd made this one super-clear. Well, I know what my pledge feedback is going to be...

My Phase Three story draft for Tquid and Mike:

Starring: Uriel Arcadia

Guest Starring: Howard Tulchinsky

The party was dispersing at last, having gone on of course far longer than the stated time printed on the pretty and elegant invitation cards, high society taking full grasp of their pleasures and wringing it for every drop. Uriel had left 15 minutes before, but after retrieving his car from the attendant and heading out, he found himself pulling into a parking lot not far away.

The closest source of light here was the streetlights and the open Taco Bell, with its wafting smell of 24-hour greasy Mexican food. Here Uriel sat, and waited, trying to put a finger on the unease he'd felt since speaking to Howard Tulchinsky. The artist had been a guest of honor and the center of attention for a great deal of the event, which had helped Uriel in evading notice when it came time to acquire certain pieces of confidential information held by a guest.

Naturally, to blend in, he'd briefly played the role of an admiring guest, long enough to seem like the herd, before grabbing some appetizers and then going to work. Yet something had lingered in the back of his mind since listening to the puffed up man, going on about his work. Now it presented itself for his notice.

The artist had seemed content, true... and happy. Why did that bother Uriel so much? He had wealth plentiful, excesses with plenty of leisure time... Why did it seem hollow and false? Maybe because it was, Uriel realized, with a reluctant clarity all of a sudden. No trust, a job that consisted of taking from one corporation to give another a leg up, his family was long gone... Was this what he really wanted?

Uriel tapped his fingers on the steering wheel. It had worked so far... perhaps he needed a different break to think about it. There was this apartment complex he'd been hearing about....

Aspect: Searching for Meaning

Oh god! I GET IT NOW.

I feel horribly embarrassed it took me so long. I was hung up on the fact that Phase 2 and 3 are actually -two actions-.

So it works like this:

Phase 1: Write your story. Easy.

Phase 2: You guest-star in someone else's phase 1 (you gain an aspect), -AND- someone else guest-stars in yours.

Phase 3: Write your own phase 3 story (getting an aspect), and also write your guest-star appearance in someone else's phase 3 story (no aspect for that).

SO!

I am guest-starring in Volkov's phase 1, it seems. And...Tquid is guest-starring in mine? I think?

Then in Phase 3 I write the story of James' fall from 'grace,' and I also write a guest-spot into...and now I'm fuzzy on our ladder because it's not in a nice grid format like you used in your example. :) I have Phas on one side and Tquid on the other, but it should be someone different, right?

Here's the thingy:

The revised Phase Two chain will be Tquid <- Zoo <- Gabe <- Vivi <- Phas <- Max, going the other way for Phase Three.

From this I think I am guest starring in Phas, and if it's reversed in Phase 3, then I'm guest starring in Tquid's phase 3...but then I don't know who is guest starring in MY story in Phase 2.

I did put it in a grid format upthread, and here it is:

no-exit-chart-take-2_zps2a2df1a9.png

So you would guest-star in Tquid's Phase Two, and Necronaut would guest-star in yours. The guest-star for your Phase Three is Vivi's PC, and you guest-star in Zoo's. You write Main Story in Phase One, Guest Star Appearance in Phase Two, and Main Story Again in Phase Three. You don't have to write your guest-appearance in Phase Three, but you can if you want, and you do get approval over it.

Does this make sense?

I don't see how that follows from the ladder, but it DOES make sense in the grid, and as you've explained it.

Apologies if you posted the grid before. My browser here doesn't allow graphics to come through very often, so they aren't loading. At home, I guess I just missed it...which is a little worrying, but I'll pave over that with some strategically placed forgetfuln... Hm, what was that?

Thanks for the patience, Mike. I know it's been frustrating for you. If it helps, it was pretty frustrating for me too. :)

I ditched the ladder entirely when I realized that it was not going to work - it was a one-dimensional construct and the cross-dimensions required at least two to clearly visualize. Sorry if I didn't make it clear that I was going to be using this chart instead.

Now that it's all straight, hopefully we can get it going. (I'm going to be putting in a comment at Evil Hat's Google+ re: the clarity of how to handle the Phase Trio over PBP.)

Long as I've got this window open: the nature of the Phase Trio means that if one person isn't collaborating, it holds up four other people. So if you're not going to be able to get your end done under deadline, or for any reason want to drop out, let me know. Sooner is better, since it means I can rustle up replacements. I won't hold it against anyone who wants to walk away since I think I've managed to make this a terrible experience for everybody thus far, and all I can offer is promises that I'll try to do better.

If you do wish to stick around: thank you, and let me know if you need help.

Phase Two
Emanuel Francis guest-stars in the story of Uriel Arcadia.

Uriel Arcadia used some of the windfall from the Intel job to arrange for a save house with style. He managed to get to the architect of a high-rise just as the final stage of construction was ramping up.
"You know, this is highly unusual. I can easily arrange for you to acquire the appartment off the books. But keeping everything electronic about your condo air-gaped from the rest of the complex will get me into micro-management hell. This will cost you more than just money." Emanuel Francis leaned across the table. "I know a man of talent when I see one. This will cost you a favor. Do we have an agreement?"

Emanuel Francis' second Aspect:
Aspect: People are complex tools, but infintely useful if you know how to wield them.

Phase Three
Emanuel Francis gets a push towards the complex and Damien Drake makes an appearence.

For the first couple of days there were rumors, that the Fielding Tower had been the target of a terrorist attack. The elegant skyscraper, crown achievement of Emanuel C. Francis, collapsed like a house of cards. Within an hour the renown architect was in front of the press, putting the blame at the structural engineer. As if it hadn't been clear that the life he had build for himself was over, horror author Damien Drake got into touch for details on 'what can go wrong with skyscrapers' for the final book in his series.

Emanuel gets his final Aspect:
Aspect: I know who is to blame and it certainly is not me.

,, ,,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gabe, SalmonMax and Mike: are you fine with these stories?

Zoo, how about he gets in touch with you while doing some research for the final book in his series, in which a skyscraper figures heavily...he needs a consult into how they work, and what can go wrong with them. And since you're sort of the the man of the hour in the 'what can go wrong with skyscrapers' department, he looks you up. :)

Phase Two

Howard guest stars in, er . . . zoo's phase one

Howard met the curious architect carrying a model. Howard was at loose ends at the time, not reaching for stardom, just filling up his apartment with little machines. Howard was bold enough to inquire after the model, as it reminded him hauntingly of his own vision. To his ill-concealed surprise, it was meant to be a building.

Howard's engineering instincts were finely honed but his sociability was equally that of a dyed-in-the-wool STEM major.

"Whatever that thing is, it wouldn't work. Unless you made it out of iridium or something. Haw haw! But, you could stick a little array of worm gears there, and a cam to drive at them, and of course you'd need some serious pinions . . . I guess a regular bushing would be fine but I'd use an angled gear. Then it could move, even. I suppose that might help with seismic stuff, but I'm not a building engineer."

Aspect: The help you need, not that you want it

Tquid, here's a transcript of your Phase 1. I have an idea for my Phase 2...which is where I guest star in your Phase 1.

Howard had drawn through his whole school career, and been praised for it, but his practical-minded parents drove him to a degree in Engineering, and he did well there even if the companionship mostly bored him. He laboured for years in one soul-crushing job after another, not much given to moods, nor to turn to any manias or chemicals to assuage the dull, throbbing pain of his uninteresting existence, he was deeply shocked when the mechanical angel came to him and vouchsafed the enginery of beauty to him. He designed furtively, frantically, for months, making tiny clockworks of exquisite beauty. He nervously showed one to a friend, who knew someone who owned a gallery, and in less than a year his outsider status and aesthetics rocketed him to art stardom.

What if your friend who helped get your art noticed was none other than Mr. James Duncan? This would be before his wife died, when he was still a reasonably happy and well-adjusted teacher who only dabbled in writing. But another of the people in his weekend writing group was an art gallery owner who he knew fairly well.

The aspect I'd be angling for here would be something like, "I Know A Guy, Who Knows A Guy." James has a big circle of friends and acquaintences, and can invoke this aspect to drop a name or maybe make a call...it can be compelled for one of them to make a call on him as well.

Yeah! Lemme just reread it, but I seem to recall I was very happy with it.

Did you want to do the thing where you were secretly responsible for him finding out about the evil rumors surrounding his books? That's what brings him to phase 3, so it would be interesting. Not necessary though, he could easily just have discovered it on his own.

Phase 2
Starring James Duncan (AKA Damien Drake)
Guest Staring Dr. Charles Volcov
James wasn't having a good day. He didn't usually have good days but this one stood out. His editor had arranged for him to see a shrink. He didn't like that. The guy was supposed to be some kind of a big name in his field. James didn't like that either. He knew it would be another media frenzy when word got out. But to go even a single day without feeling like reality had punched him in the gut, if that was even possible, would be worth it.
When James met the doctor his hopes, faint as they were, began to crumble. The man didn't display the trite avuncular wisdom or sugary friendliness of other therapists he'd spoken to. He just began attaching electrodes to Jame's scalp as if he were a lab animal. His greetings and explanations were minimal. If the other shrinks he had seen had been like MD's this guy felt more like a coroner.
"So, Doctor Volcov, I've never had a therapist hook me up to an EEG before. What's the plan?"
"I am going to record your reaction to a series of images. This will help me understand the neurological basis of your continuing dysfunction."
"And then you can use that to help me?"
"Please try not to move, blink or speak. Muscular impulses will obscure your neural activity."
The images Dr. Volcov put up on the screen started out only vaguely disturbing. Weird landscapes, strange faces, unpleasant scenes flashed by too quickly to fully identify. Some were hand drawings, others appeared to be photographs or at least good computer models. James realized abruptly that he recognized them all. They were images based on his books. He had even seen some of them before floating around his fan-sites. He turned to Dr. Volcov and began to speak but was cut short by a disapproving glare.
The barrage of visuals continued. Occasionally a picture he recognized from life came through. A car he had once owned, his parents house, a college room mate. The final picture to flash in front of him caused him to convulse. He nearly vomited. In the first panel was the smoldering wreck where his wife had perished. In the second a black and white photo of charred fragments arrayed on a metal table. He wasn't able to tear his eyes away in time to avoid identifying them as human remains.
"Good lord, what is this? I thought you were supposed to help me!"
"I may have given your editor that impression." Volcov's voice was flat as he began shutting down his equipment. "I'm afraid your well being is not my immediate concern."
"Then why are you here? Why are you showing this to me?"
"You are a unique test subject. Your response to emotional trauma is uncommonly productive. My preliminary research suggests your books are capable of inducing similar trauma. If I can find a way to induce or retard such responses therapeutically I can help many others. I apologize for the deception but my interest is helping people Mr. Duncan. You are just one person."
"Inducing?" James shook off his confusion and all but snarled. "Yeah, that's great." He rose, pulling the electrodes off of his head and throwing them to the floor. "Two things. First, I don't care how 'productive' you think my response is, my life still sucks. Second I'm going to find a lawyer even more noxious than you are and help you find a job flipping burgers."
"Perhaps that exercise will help take your mind off of your other troubles. Have a good day Mr. Duncan."
James only called off the lawsuit when he learned Dr. Volcov's university would be taking the fall for him. He hated to admit it but the doctor may have had a point. For a few sweet hours he had been so angry he had almost forgotten to be miserable.
Volcov's Aspect: Science will outlive us all

Submitted for your approval...
Dr. Volcov Phase 3
Guest Starring Uriel Arcadia

"He was a high risk patient from the beginning, you can't blame a few hours of testing for the culmination of years worth of emotional and psychological deterioration."
"Yes, we were all aware of the risk factors. They were red flags that should have told you to avoid subjecting him to that kind of trauma."
"Those red flags were exactly what made him so important as a test subject."
"Yes, I'm sure that will be a great consolation to his family. The legal burden for this matter remains on the University. However, Charles Volcov, in light of this tragedy and your history of reckless and wanton disregard for the welfare of your patients, test subjects and the integrity of this institution this committee has no choice but to terminate your position, effective immediately."
Dr. Volcov made a phone call as he staggered out of the administration building. His voice was even more flat and controlled than normal.
"Hello, Mr. Arcadia? Yes, this is Charles Volcov. I need to talk to you about that job. You haven't got the Drake manuscript yet?"
"Hey, I thought I told you I would contact you. I have a line on the publisher now but there's a little more security on this thing than I'd expect for unpublishable pulp fiction. It'll be a few more days."
"I need to cancel the job."
"I've already committed some serious resources to this project." Uriel didn't try to hide the irritation in his voice.
"It doesn't matter. The grants are gone. The lab is gone. The manuscript is useless to me now and I couldn't pay you if I wanted to."
"What? I thought you were some kind of bigwig at the university."
"A man is dead because of me. You can read about it in the papers tomorrow. I have to go."
Charles Volcov dropped his phone into his pocket and walked toward a large oak tree in the quad. It looked like a suitable place for what had to happen next. He sighed, relaxed, and fell to the ground in a weeping, shuddering heap.
Aspect: Manipulating others' emotions is science, manipulating your own is art.

Phase One
A part of it may have been the sleep deprivation, but when he showed him the finalized model of the building, Emanuel Francis could see something in his former teachers eyes that hadn't been there before. Now he was the master. He had stuck to his ideas and found the thing of beauty in the non-space of self-conflicting requests and impossible requirements. Some purest form of beauty had opened up to him and let itself become manifest.
Aspect: There is perfection, true beauty. Let me show it to you. (inviolate)
Touchstone: Titanium plated X-Acto knife with cap. Always in breast pocket.

Phase Two
Emanuel Francis guest-stars in the story of Uriel Arcadia. Uriel Arcadia used some of the windfall from the Intel job to arrange for a save house with style. He managed to get to the architect of a high-rise just as the final stage of construction was ramping up.
"You know, this is highly unusual. I can easily arrange for you to acquire the apartment off the books. But keeping everything electronic about your condo air-gaped from the rest of the complex will get me into micro-management hell. This will cost you more than just money." Emanuel Francis leaned across the table. "I know a man of talent when I see one. This will cost you a favor. Do we have an agreement?"
Emanuel Francis' second Aspect:
Aspect: People are complex tools, but infinitely useful if you know how to wield them.
Touchstone: Book of matches from the restaurant they met at.

Phase Three
Emanuel Francis gets a push towards the complex and Damien Drake makes an appearance.
For the first couple of days there were rumors, that the Fielding Tower had been the target of a terrorist attack. The elegant skyscraper, crown achievement of Emanuel C. Francis, collapsed like a house of cards. Within an hour the renown architect was in front of the press, putting the blame at the structural engineer. As if it hadn't been clear that the life he had build for himself was over, horror author Damien Drake got into touch for details on 'what can go wrong with skyscrapers' for the final book in his series.
Emanuel Francis' third Aspect:
Aspect: I know who is to blame and it certainly is not me.
Touchstone: Transparent screw and nut.

Skills
+4 Crafts
+3 Will, Lore
+2 Intimidation, Notice, Investigation
+1 Resources, Rapport, Burglary, Deceit

Stunts: " I can see what was the process behind this"
Crafts: Can make an overcome roll to find a weakness in or altogether bypass an obstacle by sensing the structure and history behind it. Usually involves the process in which the obstacle was designed or constructed.

Refresh: 3

The apartment at the complex is in the sixth floor. It has these two aspects:

• Extremely well organized. Too well, actually.
  • Sometimes you can hear noises from the vent in the bathroom. Maybe voices.

Feedback is very welcome! Does anyone have ideas for more stunts? Did I miss something?

The default overcome applies to only machinery, so having it expanded via stunt to include architecture and other constructed obstacles is fine by me.

Otherwise, the only thing you need is to pick which Phase Trio Aspect memory is inviolate. Once that's done, you're 100% complete and ready to play.

Name: James Duncan (pen name: Damien Drake)
Concept: Haunted Writer of Horror
Trouble: Cynical Bastard

Phase One
After the tragic death of his wife, James Duncan suffers a nervous breakdown. Ultimately rejecting therapy at the hands of a doctor whom he comes to realize was trying to use his case, James turns to writing to deal with his inner demons and becomes a bestselling author of horror fiction.

Aspect: I'll Deal With It Myself (invoke to withstand mental stress, compel to refuse outside help with recovering)

Touchstone: His wife's wedding ring; recovered from her body.

Phase Two
During his therapy, James met a struggling artist. Their conversations impressed James, and disturbed him...giving him a moment of clarity that would lead him to reject therapy and take up writing. As a way of saying thanks, he introduced the artist to a friend of he and his wife's who owned an art gallery.

Aspect: I Don't Know Art, But I Know What I Like (invoke to gain insight from piece of artwork, compel to subject him to uncontrollable emotions related to the piece)

Touchstone: A little sample piece from Howard that he let James keep.

Phase Three
Economically successful, but constantly suffering inside, James lives a lavish and self-destructive life until a fateful night in Vegas, after finishing his final manuscript in a highly successful series, he woke up in a police car after a hard night of partying being driven to the local jail. On the way he had an eye-opening conversation with a police officer in which he learned that his books were (possibly) being connected to a rash of incidents of self-inflicted injury and suicide. This thought so profoundly disturbed him that he decided not to release his new book after all...a decision that his agent and publisher begged to differ with.

Aspect: You're Not The Boss Of Me (invoke to resist authority figures' demands, compel to reject otherwise good advice from someone claiming authority)

Touchstone: Newspaper clipping of headline referring to a suicide he thinks he caused.

Skills
+4 Lore
+3 Will, Empathy
+2 Investigation, Resources, Notice
+1 Deceit, Fighting, Intimidate, Rapport

Stunts:
Eye for Soft Spots
- +2 on Empathy rolls to Create Advantage due to detecting mental or social weaknesses that can be exploited.
I've Read About That
- Spend a FATE point to substitute Lore for any other skill, as long as it can be justified as something he's read about.

Refresh: 2

James' Apartment:
Seventh Floor

Aspect: What Was That? (spooky noises and half-glimpsed movements frequent the room)
Aspect: Swank Pad (furnishings are very nice, but also cost more to replace or clean; definite 'bachelor' feel to it)

Uriel Arcadia

High Concept: Ex-Corporate Spy,
Trouble: Right Leg that Acts Up.

First Phase Aspect: Deal-breaking is unacceptable.
On one of Uriel's earliest corporate espionage missions, where he was contracted to acquire CPU designs for Intel, the executive who hired him got the bright idea of trying to frame Uriel. It failed, and left the VP the target of Uriel's attentions. Thus the man went through a series of issues before being effectively exposed and denounced by Intel... the corporation paid Uriel twice the amount he'd agreed to.

Touchstone: A copy of the event's paycheck Uriel eventually received, bronzed and framed.

Second Phase Aspect: Trust Issues. (Inviolate)

His Affair with Josephina

Touchstone: A picture of the two of them.

Third Phase Aspect: Searching for Meaning.

A Meeting with Howard Makes Uriel Question his Life

Touchstone: The invitation to that event.

Skills

Deceit +4

Stealth +3, Investigation +3

Rapport +2, Empathy +2, Athletics +2

Notice +1, Fighting +1, Lore +1, Will +1

Stunts

[TBD]

Other Stats

Refresh: 2

Physical Stress Track: 1 point, 2 point

Mental Stress Track: 1 point, 2 point, 3 point

Apartment

Floor: Fifth

Aspects:

- Meticulously Clean

- Standard Bland Walls

Tquid, I haven't heard from you in a week (since the 19th of February) so consider this the one week check-in. If I haven't heard back from you by the end of week two, I will have to let you go from this game.

Everyone else, if this or something like this happens, don't bother redoing the Phase Trio. Things will be fine as they are.

Archived