Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Monster Academy - Chapter 8: New Beginnings

Justin OOC

"It's controversial," Aria replied. "I think as many people want it to fail, as to succeed. It's a risky, but brilliant idea."

She came forward, out of the shadow of the air conditioner into the light. Maybe not a vampire then, though not all vampires burned in sunlight.

"Six years," she commented. "I haven't seen you around before. I suppose even I can't watch everything. You must be close to graduating then."

"I don't know if I get a vote here, but can't say I wouldn't have minded, children or not." Darrik said, taking a piece of rice ball, and finding it tasted delicious. Unfortunately, the news and the thinking about all this had made the desire for food weaker.

"This is really good. I'm not going to hog it all though, have some." Darrik offered, politely disguising his lack of appetite. The matter of his coming offspring was still clearly on his mind. "Next question... how are we going to take care of the children? I'm not sure we can juggle school, clubs and babies at once. Neither is this the place, to be honest."

Also lurking at the back of Darrik's mind was that with the scrapes he'd gotten into with the Newspaper Club, the warlock/neko - neko-locks? - sons and or daughters of his could become targets of some kind. Hazuki and Minazuki too. His appetite paled further.

Kyohei chose to remain silent, there was little left to say, as he finished eating his meal.

There was the click of an opening door behind the duo and a padding of shoeclad feet. "Please forgive my intrusion, DeWitt-San, Kyohei-Kun. I was hoping to speak to Kyohei-Kun alone before classes resume or arrange to meet with him after class. I've been putting off something... important for too long."

The practised, porcelain smile gracing her face faltered for a heartbeat on that pause, a flush filling her cheeks, green eyes betraying a sense of uncertainty and fear. Yuuki sucked in a breath, hoping for the other girl to understand and clear the heck out while her nerves were up to do this.

Kyohei was going to respond to Katrina, but then Yuuki made her highly unusual request. He looked to Katrina and smiled. "Could you give us a bit up here?" He was being very polite, and Katrina took the hint, and began packing her things. He nodded. "thanks, Katrina, maybe later I can return the favor for you."

Once she'd left, he smiled, looking back to Yuuki,and nodded. "What is it you'd like to talk about Yuuki?" He seemed almost innocent how he asked, the same Kyohei she'd known since coming here.

,, ,,

--------------------------------------

In the Cafeteria alcove, The twins nodded. "If not for Jez we'd not have met, so yeah, we can share too." Nekojin were known for not being as uptight about exclusivity as other monsters, at least the females were. They both beamed under his praise and took turns feeding him, themselves, and even Jezebel. It was she that replied. "You really couldn't have picked a better place, Darrik. We have preschool here, and babysitters galore, it's all about arranging your classes.Once it becomes known, well there will be some Talk of course, but it's done, and we'll handle it together. What we will need to do, is talk to Miss Nekomone, and see if we can get a room for all of us."

She nodded. "She won't like it really, but it will be for the best. Not like you can further impregnate them." The twins blushed at her bluntness, and she smiled.

"You are Fire!! A flame elemental?!? How wonderful!"

The golden-eyed girl blinked in surprise, taken aback by the sudden exclamation, and then laughed brightly, the effervescent sound as warming and pleasant as fine champagne.

"Yes," she replied amiably as she gathered her books into an embroidered silk satchel, still smiling as she nodded. "I am, and quite blessed to be so. I'm afraid, though, that I must have missed your name during introductions earlier."

Kyohei was going to respond to Katrina, but then Yuuki made her highly unusual request. He looked to Katrina and smiled. "Could you give us a bit up here?" He was being very polite, and Katrina took the hint, and began packing her things. He nodded. "thanks, Katrina, maybe later I can return the favor for you."

Once she'd left, he smiled, looking back to Yuuki,and nodded. "What is it you'd like to talk about Yuuki?" He seemed almost innocent how he asked, the same Kyohei she'd known since coming here.

It was long moment before Yuuki answered, the young Dryad mustering herself behind her usual mask of self-control.

"I... I like you, Kyohei-Kun. Alot. I think I have since even before I discovered you were what you are and was ordered to protect you. And since then, we... I... I haven't experienced anything like this before but I feel warmer around you, want to *be* better than I am, want to make you feel the same way if I could, ease your burdens, warm your..."

She choked up on that last bit, flushing as she barely barely barely crushed that sentence in time. She was bungling this. She was better trained than this!

Yuuki looked away and knotted her hands together, "I'm sorry. This made so much more sense in my head."

An inner mental image of Haruhana chuckling at her made her flush brighter and look up again into his eyes, features still quite pink, "I... I love you, Kyohei-Kun. I want us to grow strong and beautiful together, root, trunk, and leaf."

The young Dryad exhaled on that point, emotions naked and fragile as the words played out between them.

Half-way across campus, Delilah was dressed in the red and black pleated skirt and sleeveless, mid-riff baring sweater of the Cheer squad, catching up with the other members of the team after the vacation and working out details for try-outs after class. But though she was as bubbly and friendly as ever, she was distracted as well. She had been all through classes too, though that wasn't as uncommon.

"Oh, that's so sweet for Darri!" Delilah cooed, not really hearing what the nekojins on the team were saying. She gave a deep sigh, nearly threatening to burst the deep v-neck of the sweater asunder as she stared out the window of the room adjacent to gym to Cheerleaders used in bad weather for training and club events. Her tongue had been flicking around her lips all day, constantly tasting for Kyohei's and Yuuki's emotions. It wasn't really a sense based on taste, just how it appeared.

Suddenly, Delilah almost choked on the taste of Yuuki's flaring emotions - she couldn't tell what she was saying just at the moment, but she could guess who she was with, and the gist of her word. The succubus-angel jumped to her feet and was standing pressed against the window in an instant, her purple eyes intense on that distant roof-top she knew well, her sharp-nailed fingers gouging scratches in the walls next to the window.

The other girls on the Cheerleading team all grew silent, watching their (now sole) Captain staring out the window, breathing deep, every ounce of her being focused on every iota of her Mate of Fate's emotions, so see how he would respond to Yuuki. It wasn't that she didn't trust him - she did - but so often, he'd gone off and hadn't been able to tell her anything.

She wanted to taste what his emotions would be without her there to influence them...

Kyohei was utterly shocked by this confession, though in hindsight, perhaps he shouldn't have been.

"Yuuki.." he paused. "I care for you too, very much, I could even say I love you too, but like a treasured sister. You're one of only two people I truly trust with anything, and I treasured our time as roommates, but I just don't see you in a romantic light."

"You know I'm dating Delilah, that's not changed, even with my month long absence and silence."

He knew it was hard, and a part of him was saddened by rejecting her, she was a good friend, something rare in the extreme, and he meant every word. That didn't make things any easier though, not for either of them.

Envoy stood in the face of that rejection, preparing to come to terms with it in her own way. Before she could do anything, the door to the roof popped open and Skye entered the area.
It wasn’t that the half-angel was oblivious. She appeared that way at times because she didn’t care about the feelings of the demons. But today, there was more going on than her being callous about the emotions around her. Today, she was nervous and distracted. As such, she didn’t realize that now was not the time to try to get Kyohei alone.
“Hey, guys,” she called as she approached, jamming her hands deep into her jean pockets. The girl was going for casual and came across as awkward. “Say, uh… Yuuki!” It was obvious she’d forgotten her classmate’s name momentarily. “I was hoping to speak to Kyohei alone. Do you mind?”

"I... I... No, Skye-Sempai. We are done. I apoligize for being an inconvience. Such was not my intent," Yuuki managed on mental autopilot, features bloodless, ingrained training holding her up. Kyohei's words played through her mind on a loop, an endless succession of axe blows shaking the pillar of her thoughts and sending thoughts spinning in all directions like dead leaves. Surprisingly it didn't even hurt yet, not like a cut or broken limb, more... like the cold burn of frost on new growth.

A very tiny part of her mind suspected it would hurt more later. Shock, wasn't it..?

The young Dryad's expression regained some mobility as she blinked and started breathing again, realizing she was still looking Kyohei in the face, eyes filled with a preoccupied sense of something ventured, nothing gained. Her features flushed again as she looked down and away. "...Yes. I'm sorry. I won't hold you up," Yuuki continued, turning on one heel, trying thought by thought to reseize control of her emotions.

Delilah stepped back from the window, luscious lips spreading in a wide smile. She could taste the dance and shift of Yuuki's and Kyohei's emotions and could tell she had nothing to worry about. For now at least. She wasn't fully convinced Yuuki had given up on Kyohei completely yet. Delilah spun around, giving the girls a small wave.

"Mallory, you take over," Delilah commanded a short, over-endowed nymph with green hair she'd gotten to 'know' during the vacation. "I'm going to meet up with Kyo. Seeya girls at training and try-outs after class. Make sure you bring your pom-poms."

The teenaged succubus hustled as quickly as she could in her heels towards the rooftop Kyohei habitually frequented, excessive curves bouncing and swaying in puberty-inducing ways. But as she scampered up the stairs she almost tripped, assaulted by another barrage of mangled and twisted emotions, right in proximity to Kyohei. They belonged to Skye.

Skye certainly had her reasons, what with Kuro being stuck a cat an all - that must make more intimate cuddling hard. But Delilah had gone through a lot of helping her hook up with Kuro and she wasn't going to give up on them yet. Delilah crept up to the top of the stairs as quietly as she could in her sky-scraper heels, but didn't step out onto the roof. Instead, she hid behind the door, trying to hear and see what she could through the crack, while she kept her tongue tuned to the fluctuating emotions wafting off the roof.

Kyohei knew the words were hard for Yuuki, but they were no less true. In time maybe she'd understand and forgive him. Then Skye came up asking to speak to him alone, and he just stared dumbly. "Okay."

He looked at her and nodded. "What would you like to talk about Skye?" If this turned out to be another confession, well he didn't expect it but the unexpected was something that had a strange way of happening at this school.

Skye gave Kyohei an awkward smile, one that set off warning bells because he’d just seen that exact look on Yuuki’s face. Taking a seat next to him on the bleachers, she clasped her hands nervously, drew a deep breath—and froze. The smile was gone and her eyes narrowed, anger flashing through them. “I’d love to talk to you about it. But I wouldn’t love to talk about it with your sex-buddy hovering just inside the doorway to the roof. Mind calling your sex-fiend off?” Skye added a sardonic smile as she clarified, “I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course.”

Darrik nodded a little, though honestly, he wasn't looking forward to any potential lectures by his homeroom teacher either. And Jez's words made him think a little harder. "So, for caution's sake... how hard is it to impregnate you exactly? Not that I wouldn't be doubly sure to get a good stock of protection from now on..."

Feet carrying her on a determined straightline path towards the greenhouses, Yuuki was all but deaf, dumb, and blind to those around her. Intelectually, she knew that the repotting could wait till next week, that she had only a few minutes till lunch ended and her next class was supposed to start, that she should wait till after class till the official meeting to start a project this big.

'Intelectually' could go compost itself at the moment, though. It was starting to hurt. The Rejection that is. She was embarassed, disapointed, and angry, the last two emotions directed for the most part at herself for her ignorant lack of preparation. It had seemed obvious. Relationships were a cooperative, trust-based activity many could share in. Males and females could love multiple individuals. If a bond of trust and empathy existed, they could evolve into something deeper over time, but there was no gain without risk on the part of one or both partners.

Hina weren't very big on risk, and she didn't like the result of her risk one bit. The young Dryad narrowed her eyes to slits as she nearly bumped into another student, mumbling some mindless formal apology as her thoughts ground away at the problem like a root at a rock barrier. Her half-gathered impressions had led her to false conclusion. That false conclusion had led her to... painful error. More research required. Investigate further. But first... just do something with her hands. Forget herself in the mindlessness of a welcome chore.

There was a moment of silence, pregnant with meaning... which then gave birth to the loudest raspberry Skye or Kyohei had ever heard (a deft tongue and lush lips had multiple uses), echoing from the door, followed by the ostentatious clacking of heels, growing fainter as they moved down the stairs. Delilah hardly thought it was fair - Kyohei was her boyfriend after all - and considered trying to fake like she was going down the stairs, but she didn't think it would fool Skye.

Flopping down on a bench at the bottom of the stairs, Delilah pouted, waiting impatiently to meet up with her boyfriend, who seemed to have been occupied with women all during lunch. Which Delilah might not have minded, had she been invited too, and one of them wasn't trying to steal her boyfriend. Delilah glared up at the ceiling, musing about marching right back up there. I can help, y'know, Skye! I hooked you and Kuro up together, after all...

Siabhra shrugged, faint lines appearing on her forehead. Graduation? Hmn. I had not thought of that. I wonder if she will let me 'graduate'. She never did say how long I was to be exiled here. "I do not know. In the normal course of things, I suppose in a year or two...or some number, yes, I would graduate." She finished another juice and started on her third, sipping at it thoughtfully this time. "I suppose it will depend on how long the school administration will allow me to be enrolled and if An Banrion considers me sufficiently educated on the matter of my error."

"I also did not associate with other students much after my first month, at the request of the headmaster, until I had.... acclimated to the social expectations and allowances here." She tilted her head curiously and regarded her lunch companion. "Why do others care if this place succeeds or fails? Does it interfere with their own activities? It seems likely enough to fall to chaos on its own, from what I have seen." She tapped her finger to lip and shrugged, "Though it has not yet, so perhaps it is not as volatile and fragile as it seems most of the time."

A hint of satisfaction covered Skye’s face when Delilah stormed down the stairs. That’ll teach her to spy on her boyfriend when I’m about to ask him something… so… important. Skye’s smile faded and she dropped her face into her hands.
“Skye?” Kyohei asked, looking concerned.
I’m about to ask him to make a decision that impacts him, impacts her and impacts them. Skye lifted her head and sighed at Kyohei, giving him a wan smile. “I… really don’t like this.”
Kyohei looked baffled. “We don’t have to talk, Skye. I mean, you seemed to want to...” He tilted his head at her. “What is going on?”
“I have something to ask you, but I shouldn’t have sent Delilah away. It affects her too. Stay right here.” Skye patted the bench next to his leg before rising and chasing after the succubus/angel/sex-fiend thing or whatever Delilah was. “I’ll be right back, Kyohei! Don’t go anywhere.”
Delilah was sulking downstairs on a bench. Skye rolled her eyes at the petulant pout on Delilah’s face, wondering how a demon could be so damned childish. “Come on, Delilah. You should be part of this. I’d be offended if you asked Kuromaru something like what I’m about to ask your boyfriend without me there.” Skye heard her sentence, shook her head and tried again. “I’d want to be there if you were asking a favor of my boyfriend like I’m about to ask of your boyfriend. Make sense?”
Delilah’s pout disappeared in an instant. “Yeah. All I wanted was to know what was going on!” She reached for Skye’s arm to stroll up the stairs on semi-sexy companionship, but Skye evaded her and led the way to the second floor. Kyohei still looked slightly bewildered, but Skye’s absence had given him time to regroup. After accepting a kiss from his girlfriend, the human pulled her close.
Skye rubbed her hands together and licked her lips. “Okay. So. Here’s what I’d like to ask. Kyohei, I know that this would be an imposition, but I’d like to move to your room. Well, I mean, actually, Kuromaru and I would like to move in with you. Share rooms. Be roommates.” Her blue eyes flickered over to Delilah.

"The chaos is because of their efforts, I think," Aria says. "As for why...well, I don't claim to know the real reasons...but I know something of how the human world is viewed by yokai, and some others. Most are very afraid of it, even if they show that fear with aggression. Some see it as a feeding ground. This school threatens both views."

"And when you threaten someone's views, you threaten their power."

"That's what I think."

Oh it's just that. that's not too bad. Relief flooded him, and he looked at her. "I'm fine with it Skye, assuming you can sell the headmaster or Miss Nekomone on it. I do admit, I'm curious as to why you feel the need to move in with me."

He looked to Delilah. "I know Delilah's curious as well, considering what just passed between Yuuki and I." He sighed inwardly, feeling bad still, because he knew his words hurt the young dryad. and just how hard that had been for her to even bring it up.

-----------------

Jezebel looked at Darrik. "In truth it's easy, and hard. Succubi have total control of their fertility save for one week a year." She sighed. "During that week, we have no control and sex nearly guarantees a baby succubus. The rest of the time, it can happen but only if the succubus is lax, and doesn't maintain her sterility."

"You and I are far too young, thus I remain sterile. Though there've been some occassions you got me so worked up, I relaxed too much. We got lucky then."

She looked to the twins. "It's my fault for not reading what was going on with you.." They shook their heads. "We did the deed, knowing what would happen, even if we were abit far-gone in the whole throes of lust part."

Jezebel nodded. "Still protection's a good idea. just in case."

Skye frowned. “Wait, what Yuuki wanted?” Realizing she was being noisy, she waved her hands to dismiss her question. “I’ve thought about it, and I don’t like demons. I know you’re human, and frankly, I’d be far more comfortable living with one. Then there’s Katrina. I like her, but she’s very… invested in Kuromaru and me. She’s taken his father’s actions against Kuromaru very personally, and she talks a lot about what ‘we’ll’ do to fix him. I’m not comfortable with it and she doesn’t seem to get that.”
Skye stopped and sighed. “And I admit… I don’t like living in a room with my boyfriend and another girl, especially a hengyoki girl. I trust him. It doesn’t make me comfortable. From what Yuuki has said about you, you won’t take advantage of me.” The half-angel managed a smile. “Good enough reasons for the two of you?”

There was a mischievous, considering light in the succubus' purple eyes. "How do I know this isn't a ploy to take advantage of him?" Delilah mused, draped on Kyohei's side. Delilah was getting annoyed that is seemed like any female could share Kyohei's room but her, even though it made perfect sense that she'd be the one to share. "A lot of girls have eyes for Kyo." She gave Skye a frank once-over and giggled. "Which I don't mind - in theory - but I have to have some chemistry with the girl too, if I'm gonna think about sharing."

Skye's eyes narrowed to slits as she refrained from rubbing her head - This was just Delilah being a succubus. She was just sharing a room with him, not him and the demon-spawn. "I have a boyfriend and I have no desire for a girlfriend, I assure you."

"Oh, pooh!" Delilah's lips pressed in a playful moue as she crossed her arms under her breasts and crossed her legs. She could taste the truth of it - Skye's only attraction to Kyohei was due to him being human and a good looking guy, nothing more than that. "I wasn't really serious - unless you think you might reconsider sometime, then I totally was. I don't mind - though do expect I'll be... 'visiting' often."

Suddenly, Delilah perked up, hands on her knees as she leaned forward with an eager grin. "Hey! You wouldn't consider joining the cheerleaders, you would? Then I'd know I could totally trust you with Kyohei, since you'd be bound by the Cheerleader Code."

Kyohei nodded, looking between the both of them. "I can understand Skye, and we'll respect your privacy as I know you'll respect mine." He looked to Delilah. "She won't be joining us like that, She's really not interested." His tone suggested she should cut her losses on that score.

He turned to Skye. "We will need to explain to miss Nekomone, so she can approve the move. I will say this, you may want to be prepared, as my room has served as a meeting place for the club more than once, and I don't discourgage everyone from just coming by to hang out. Still, I'll take your wishes into consideration on that, especially with Kuro in tow."

After her initial introduction to the ebullient dragon princess and the requisite few moments of pleasantries exchanged, Natsuko offered her apologies: she needed to get to her next class, and she looked forward to continuing their conversation later.

The rest of the morning went smoothly, a fact for which the young fire-born was grateful; it was difficult enough just working her way through the crowds and maneuvering the labyrinth of halls. When the lunch bell sounded, Natsuko sighed in relief and gathered her things. It was shaping up to be a beautiful day, and where the cobalt-clad girl went, so followed the promise of summer. The aura of warmth surrounding her inspired a drowsy sort of languor in the students seated near her as she enjoyed a bowl of aromatic Thai red curry and rice beneath a tree, and Natsuko, apparently oblivious to the effect, chatted amiably with each of them, even offering to share some of her spice-laden meal. It was a refreshing, invigorating experience, socializing with others of her own age, and despite her initial nervousness, she was quickly warming to the concept.

“I can live with that,” Skye said, relaxing fractionally. She managed a smile for Kyohei, though she was already dreading talking to Katrina. The other girl was nice enough, but Skye wasn’t sure she’d take this news particularly well.
At the moment, she had another distraction. She grimaced slightly as she considered Delilah’s question. “I dunno. Cheerleaders are pretty vapid and stuck up, and I have a pretty low tolerance for that since becoming a demon hunter.” That revelation from her mother had changed everything.
“Cheerleaders aren’t all like that,” Kyohei replied.
“Yes, they are.” Skye smirked. “I used to be one, I know exactly what they are like.”

(okay, I'm going to do something I've not done. I'm giving you all a month real time of freedom to post as you will. It will cover the next two weeks in game time, and there will be no major crises befalling the Academy. Things will be nice and normal. Well as normal as a school for monsters can be at any rate. Use this time to explore your characters, by all means collaborate as you wish. I will award points for this at the end. Have fun is the most important thing. If you need to use or even make some new NPCs ask in PM or chat. I will say that all the room assignment shuffling will be approved, so do with that as you will. Yiu are free and encouraged to make new threads for this)

(P.S. Have fun, and of course while I am opposed to school wide crises, Hijinx are most definitely encouraged, and acceptable.)

Archived