[OpNet] Silly Shit You Do.

Lemmy Chillmeister

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Originally posted by Good Alice:
Newcastle on the other hand, can either give up just about everything she owns and stop talking to just about everyone she likes or deal with the legal problems she has caused.
A) Thanks for squashing down on freedom of expression, and thanks for reminding me why I DON'T work for the Project.
B)In any society that supports basic human rights, your case doesn't hold water. The threat was no specific enough, unless you want to stand up and say "I'm so stupid, I would be a canidate for sterilization."
C) Why don't you look at the impact of Project Utopia's political agenda before you decide to cast stones? The Project prioritizes its assistance according to who is being friendly to them and who isn't. They play favorites and people die needlessly for it. I don't blame the project. They have finite resources and a results they are reaching for.
D) Last, but certainly not least, is the rights of novas to freely use their expressions as they see fit, as long as it harms no other? Yes, Ms. Newcastle mentioned "steriling stupid people" and why I don't approve of that agenda (what qualifies as stupid is debateable), I whole-heartedly support her ability to experiment with her Quantum Expressions so that she can further her evolution and her understanding of just what she does.

You can't chain down novas and expect the world to be free. Freedom is a dangerous and difficult endeavor, but it beats a boot on my neck or a pistol to the back of my head.

Hey there Machina. Your portable is still working fine. Its been teaching me how to keep it updated, which is pretty cool. Thanks again and don't be a stranger.

Hmmm ... I think I've ranted enough for the day.

And you can not chose for other if they have the right to have children or not. Nova or not we all have that right. What she claimed to do is vile. If she is lying well then she is lying if this ture then well, she can fix her mistakes and change or I will make sure she pays.

I only work part time with Utopia, that is about half the work i do to rebuild place is with Utopia the other half is not. I do not go place that do not ask, or where my work will prop up those who will have to maintain their power by force of arms. If my work will not make the place better, I will not work there.I do not build houses to see them blown up.I do not build cities to turn them into slaughter grounds.

Good Alice, the name of this thread is "Silly Shit you do". Perhaps Ms. Newcastle made a poor jest. To respond to that jest with threat of legal detention, if a joke, is an even worst jest.

I am glad you've chosen to use your QE's to make the world a more livable place. All I ask is that you give other people the same opportunity.

Even if I do "sterilise stupid people", as I said, there are myriad problems with the prospect of bringing any form of punitive action upon me for such a deed. Many of them have already been pointed out. But to make it clear:

One would presume to summon legal authority upon me for an act for which (1)there are no victims, (2)if victims were located, there would be no proof causality, (3)if causality was proven, no crime in any locale I've been in accounts for the illegality of such an act, and (4)if illegality was somehow manifested, would still necessitate detainment and prosecution.

I won't even touch on the other deep, deep fallacies in your wrong-headed thinking, since many of them have been covered (thank you, Chaos), and those that remain are self-evident.

I have to admit, watching you peasants twiddling your genitals into knots over this is much more fun than ruining the reproductive availability of twits.

Quote:
Originally posted by Regina Newcastle:
One would presume to summon legal authority upon me for an act for which (1)there are no victims, (2)if victims were located, there would be no proof causality, (3)if causality was proven, no crime in any locale I've been in accounts for the illegality of such an act, and (4)if illegality was somehow manifested, would still necessitate detainment and prosecution.
Homicide statutes are commonly more complex than that, despite their deceptively short length. However, sterilization raises far more questions in tort and constitutional law.

Returning to the topic at hand, I occasionally include irrelevant statements "hidden" within the text of memorandum to other attorneys and the court.

Neil, buddy! How's life, you happy son of a bitch? I hear you're getting married, soon, huh? I'd be interested to meet the daring young lady who finally managed to tame you; I mean, I always kind of figured you for a queer, you know? You're so goddamn nice. Well, that and you never seemed to care for Bill's collection like you should have. Goddamn shame, that. Say hello to it, for me?

At any rate, I'm glad to hear that the BRLG mk.III is still serving well. I've got some new ideas for it since last time, actually, if you feel like stopping by Wardenclyffe. Don't be a stranger.

Howdy, Machina. Mind if I bring my lady along? It would be rude for me to drop by unannounced, I know.

As for The Vile Bill collection, I figure the magazines will be used as a freshmen trainers. There is plenty of good advice in there on how to treat a woman right, and then there are the incentive pages. I hope Vile Bill would be proud.

Hell yeah, Neil! Don't stand on ceremony with me, man. Bring the little lady, if you think she can bear the likes of me with good humor. It's only fair to warn you, I've beefed up security at the shop, so be sure to call ahead; your sig is on file, but I'd be fucking mortified if your girlfriend got blasted into quantum vapor because she strayed too close to the fenceline.

And hey, you mean there are words in those stroke mags? How did I never notice them before?

Just because many have commented on me being what they think is too serious, I thought I would share a recent experience with you. Its new for me but its on topic and left an impression. Driving through Los Angeles on the wrong side of a high speed pursuit. There are a couple of... Well I wouldn't call them rules but definitely observations to keep in mind.

• Never have an "action" reporter in the car when this becomes necesary, even if it was the boss' idea. Just open the door and dump her ass on the pavement. As rude as it might seem, its going to save you many hassles later. And they'd probably thank you if they had any clue as to what you were keeping them out of.
  • Speed is good.
  • Success buys much forgiveness especially if your boss isn't based in the country whose laws are being broken.
  • Project Utopia won't concern itself with "local" law violations but will get involved in there's a corresponding international law.
  • Everyone feels like James Bond when they slide between semi-trucks on two wheels while accelerating past 280 miles per hour. Its a good feeling but not a reason to get cocky.
  • Los Angeles cops don't like quantum powered mercenaries in their backyard anymore than Afrika cops do. This seems to be universal.
  • Using quantum to force a vehicle to three times its maximum rated speed automatically violates the warranty even though the warranty doesn't explicitly mention this.
  • Did I mention speed is good?
  • Tossing guns into the water before the cops arrive isn't a bad idea, but planting them on the people you want to get in more trouble than you're currently in with the cops is a better one.
  • White slavers are concerned with the physical attractiveness of their merchandise not the skin color. Its kind of counter-intuitive but that's life.
  • Speed does not trump mass. What it does is allow you to get the hell out of the way of the bus that would crush you if it hit.
  • Its better to surrender to the Coast Guard than Los Angeles cops even if surrendering is just a formality. It works that way because there's a juridiction thing involved, the Coast Guard is very polite, and military officers are apparently looking for ways to justify their paychecks in the modern world.
  • The numbers don't always lie. When it happens don't waste time wishing you had thought to put rocket boosters in the car (stupid) or wanting a more powerful engine (illegal). Roll down the windows to let the pressure equalize then get on with your life.
  • Don't forget to get the reporter out with you. Otherwise you'll just have to go back or answer unpleasant questions later.
  • The smell of urine in italian leather seats is distracting. See my point above about kicking the reporter out of the car before the pursuit begins but don't sweat what you couldn't prevent.
  • Everyobody loves Utopia, as much as you can love them anyway, but the U.S. Government doesn't like to be told what to do by them.
  • Always be friendly and polite when you're working. You never know what faceless jerk is going to turn out to be the person that keeps you out of a backroom with rubber hoses and pissed off cops.
  • Actresses are people too. Not always deep, usually pretty shallow, but they're people. Treat them with respect after doing things no one in their right mind would try or live through and suddenly you're Superman. Don't let it go to your head buts it's also a good feeling.
  • Always carrry a credit card with a lot of bank left on it. Maybe Superman didn't have to deal with the little crap but the average nova is expected to.
  • Pedestrians are a feature not an obstacle. Do everything in your power to not hit them no matter how it jepardizes your goal. Property can be replaced but when people are gone its permanent.
  • When you're surrounded by law enforcement types that haven't made up their mind as to whether shooting you would be a good thing, do not mention you were hacked into coded satellite surveillance systems. I think it would probably tip the scales in regards to their decision.
  • No matter how much it hurts to hear a dollar amount, act as if it were petty cash of complete insignificance. It makes people unsure of how far they can push you or how good their case really is.
  • Don''t wait to have your vehicle serviced if it needs something. The life of a pedestrian may be depending on getting that steering checked and replacing the tires regularly.
  • Hit on your boss' secretary at every opportunity in a charming manner. Do this regardless of their attractiveness or sexual orientation. The reason for this becomes apparent when your ass is on the line and you need some help from the boss.
  • Cops will search for opnet devices but never ask if you have a cranial implant that's recording everything they say and do. Don't mention this until you know the recording is downloaded somewhere safe and you're about to be in a position where you'll be hospitalized or have to kill one of them. When you do mention it, do it very nonchalantly. Almost conversationally.
  • Law enforcement types will keeping mentioning the exact number of the highest speed you were clocked at during interrogation. As if its somehow more illegal to be doing 372 mph than 371 mph.
  • Don't correct them about the number. Its may feel good to tell them you were actually doing 439 mph at one point but it gives them a new number to put in the charges.
  • Decelerating, although a natural reaction, isn't always the best way to avoid a collision. If you have enhanced reflexes then you have options.
  • Try to arrange to have the car totally destroyed by the end of the experience. It was pointed out to me this means less evidence at a possible court appearance. Also, quantum and hypercombustion catalitic impulsers do not go well together so if its not totalled you have to arrange to have it towed.
  • If you let the reporter stay, its okay to consider how throwing them out during the pursuit would favorably change your acceleration and manuverability. Its not okay to do it but its okay to think about it.
  • If the reporter thinks you were using your earphone jack and opnet connection to coordinate with authorities or some hidden cell using the code name "Morrigan" let them keep thinking that. It will allow them remain calm for longer than they otherwise would. And they don't need to know "Morrigan" is the name of your computer. Or that you were listening to a ter'r cover of classic rock music to deal with the fact you were hurtling down the streets of a major metropolis faster than some airplanes travel.

Addendums to make this internationally applicable

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaos:

[*]Its better to surrender to the Coast Guard than Los Angeles cops even if surrendering is just a formality. It works that way because there's a juridiction thing involved, the Coast Guard is very polite, and military officers are apparently looking for ways to justify their paychecks in the modern world.

Federal soldiers, Federales and such are always better to deal with. They are far closer to people who have real power and are aware of how it is wielded. Local law only thinks it's got the power and often doesn't know how to use it.,,
Quote:

[*]Always carrry a credit card with a lot of bank left on it. Maybe Superman didn't have to deal with the little crap but the average nova is expected to.

As big and beautiful as the Opnet is it isn't everywhere. Cash is also your best friend. Screw local currency, US dollars are all powerful but the Euro has a lot of friends too. Also, bribes work best in cash because the bribee doesn't have to worry about it being traced.,,
Quote:

[*]Don''t wait to have your vehicle serviced if it needs something. The life of a pedestrian may be depending on getting that steering checked and replacing the tires regularly.

Don't wait to have any piece of equipment you use serviced. Guns, communication devices, even your quantum powered sling-shot. Keep it all squared away.

Not really. Even gods need to unwind, beat off occasionally, and waste a little time on idle talk sometimes. The fact of the matter is either one of us could write up a plan to stablize the economy of Panama or destroy the economy of Finland in the time it takes you to read this post, and less time than it took me to write it. Posting here requires the likes of us so little effort, why the fuck not do it?

Chaos, did you know while I think this message out, I'm also watching 64 high speed video feeds simultaneously, upgrading the Knight's security center, testing Blizzard's hardware for load capacity for the release of their next big game, reading a book, writing a book, and sketching preliminaries for a 1024bit computing chip for Connelly Security Inc's latest security encryption? That doesn't make posting in a forum seem so simple does it? I would also thank you not to concern yourself with how I spend my time.

Machina;

Okay. I'll buy that. You could answer the meaning of life stuff but that doesn't get you company to share a beer with. That's kind of what I was getting at. Super geniuses still come around to chat.

Access;

You have got to be kidding me. Seriously, pretentious much? The point was you can do all of that but still find the desire to post and interact on a forum like this. I'm sure you can do all of that on a slow day but grant me the assumption of a little bit of brains. Just because you could do it doesn't say anything about your desire or motivation to do it.

People bitch at me all the time for how I spend my time and my motivations for it. IQ unmeasurable or not why should you be any different?

Pretty much, man. Like I said, I spend most of my time in seclusion, and you're right, none of it gets me company to share a beer with, which is something my life usually lacks, since I have unrestrainable contempt for virtually everyone who isn't me. I use this forum both as a place to abuse simpletons and in the hopes of finding minds I can respect, even in some small capacity. It's not like I'm going to fly to the fucking Amp Room.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The most embarrassing thing I ever did as a nova. Okay, I'd been a nova for just about two weeks when I drank far too much in a bar in Mexico City, got even tighter in Tijauana then went back across the border into the U.S. and started started getting seriously hammered. Yes you can get drunk as a nova but it takes an awful lot of alcohol and doesn't last very long. Its kind of a strange sort of drunk too. A doctor told me that's because the MR tissues doesn't react to alcohol the way normal nerve tissue does. Oh we're getting to the embarrassing part.

I only vaguely remember some key events but near the end I think I walked into a bar near the University in San Diego on ladies night and announced their new god had arrived and demanded the sacrifice in the form of articles of clothing. It's a little hazy after that but I woke up on campus covered in a warm blanket of feminine flesh. There had to have been at least seven girls and I didn't know any of their names.

That's it for me.

Don't ask me why, but I've always been rather fond of "wooly bear" caterpillars (that is, tiger moth larvae). One fine autumn day a few years ago, one of the little creatures happened to find its way onto my nose whilst I was sleeping. So, I kept it... for a year, trickling a bit of time back into it now and again to keep it from going into chrysalis (ironically enough), until releasing it the following autumn. It's the closest thing to a "pet" that I have ever permitted myself.

Well, I don't know you particularlly well, but if you are so curious, perhaps I can show you sometime.

In all seriousness, most of it is just stories at this point, as I said: I haven't indulged myself in over a month. In fact it's been few and far between since the Pow Wow/American independence party that Wakinyan threw.

Most of what I do that's silly isn't via my powers:

- swear at the television when it dispenses information I disagree with.

- (accidentally) destroying potato clocks while trying to generate stable current

- linking all the paper clips on my desk in a chain

- wielding said chain as if I were a super-ninja and it were my manriki-guisari

- switch the M and N keys on people's keyboards

- respond to every question and statement directed at me with "That's what you think!" spoken in a booming baritone

But if we're talking power-related goofy stuff - that I can talk about in mixed company - I like to use illusions to alter people's perceptions of their own bodies. What I do with this power is a thought exercise I leave to you, Constant Reader.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived